Foley Not Able To Wrestle Again

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Blujay

Reaction score
When you're "retired" and coming back every month or two on a consistent basis and taking up 15 minutes of tv time, or constantly inserting yourself into the main event, you're holding back younger talent.

Bret "shoestring hair hobo" hart, Mick Foley and Ric Flair need to make their appearances less frequent. i have all the respect in the world for their careers, but stop coming back every other month.

It comes with age. Hart only comes back when they actually have a use for him. Flair hasn't been around for how long? Retiring doesn't mean they can't come back. Nostalgia, ratings bumps, and interacting with the stars of today are all perfectly good reasons for them to come around.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
When you're "retired" and coming back every month or two on a consistent basis and taking up 15 minutes of tv time, or constantly inserting yourself into the main event, you're holding back younger talent.

Bret "shoestring hair hobo" hart, Mick Foley and Ric Flair need to make their appearances less frequent. i have all the respect in the world for their careers, but stop coming back every other month.

I don't get this. We have seen Flair two or three times, Hart once or twice, and Foley a handle of times in the last year. How is that every month or two? I understand your point but make it better because it just seems like you're making up shit to make it.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Michaels and Jesse Ventura are the only ones of name to retire and stay retired.

Fail, Michaels already broke one retirement.

Foley will be back as soon as they find some next big thing that needs to use him as a punchbag.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Foley will be back as soon as they find some next big thing that needs to use him as a punchbag.

No he didn't because his retirement was as a wrestler not as another on-air character.

Also go along with what Scott said, I think to group Hart in with Foley and Flair is a bit harsh, as he noramlly appears in one off segments, it was only his match with McMahon which was needless.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
No he didn't because his retirement was as a wrestler not as another on-air character.

1998 - 2002.

I accept your apology.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ He was forced to retire through injury it wasn't through choice, also its not as if he ever made annoncement saying he would never wrestle again.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Michaels and Jesse Ventura are the only ones of name to retire and stay retired.

dont forget about jbl

an injury that forces you to stop competing is different then a retirement planned or stipulated. Otherwise you could add Taz & Edge to the above list of staying retired.

No doubt but he is getting to that point where it wouldn't be that much of a help to the next big things career.

^ He was forced to retire through injury it wasn't through choice, also its not as if he ever made annoncement saying he would never wrestle again.

Agreed. Unlike Lance Storm who said he was retiring because injuries had caught up with him but then still took the odd bookings here and there

FalconPunch

Reaction score

He stopped wrestling due to a back injury, he didn't retire. 1998 - 2000 he was working with doctors to come back to the ring, that's why he was kept as an on screen character. In 2000 he even had a match in his TWA promotion. He fell of the radar in 2000 - 2001 due to drug problems and obviously came back in 2002. So no, you're wrong.

And to the other guy, JBL returned in 2008 for a year.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He also "retired" a year before that when he "lost his smile".

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
lol, no that wasn't a story line, that was the real deal. Michaels was seriously walking away because he felt he didn't love wrestling anymore... or because he didn't want to wrestle Bret at WM13 (which I doubt). Either way, there's was no story line about that. And then he came back 3 months later after he realized what an idiot diva he was. It wasn't a glorious retirement, but nonetheless, a retirement is exactly what it was.

I never sensed that WM14 was a retirement though. He never officially announced it as such, just that he was stepping away because of his back. I doubt he ever really wanted to leave at that point though and I'm sure he was planning/hoping to come back eventually.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
He also "retired" a year before that when he "lost his smile".

Actually he didn't. He never once says in that speech that he's leaving for good. He basically says he's taking time off to see if he should retire or not.

[video=youtube_share;K9AzgP9wabg]http://youtu.be/K9AzgP9wabg[/video]

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surprised that with all this talk about not sticking to retirements no-one has brought up Terry Funk yet, surely that guy is the king of retiring and then returning for another payday.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
lol, no that wasn't a story line, that was the real deal. Michaels was seriously walking away because he felt he didn't love wrestling anymore... or because he didn't want to wrestle Bret at WM13 (which I doubt). Either way, there's was no story line about that. And then he came back 3 months later after he realized what an idiot diva he was. It wasn't a glorious retirement, but nonetheless, a retirement is exactly what it was.

I never sensed that WM14 was a retirement though. He never officially announced it as such, just that he was stepping away because of his back. I doubt he ever really wanted to leave at that point though and I'm sure he was planning/hoping to come back eventually.

Then if it was to side step jobbing to Hart then it wasn't a retirement, as once he had done that and recovered from said injury (which wasn't as bad as HBK made out) he returned.