Finn Balor still overrated?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

0ctobre

Jobber
Reaction score
If you want a gay wrestler, just hire a gay man who can wrestle. It isn't that hard. I don't care for basing gimmicks on sexuality or anything either but if you are going to bring an openly gay wrestler into the story lines, let him be legit. It is stupid to me to have a man pretend to be gay for audience purposes. To me that is a shady business tactic. Unless Finn is bi-sexual, I can't see it making any bit of a difference as he will only go so far with this gimmick. He is a damn good wrestler but is very, very bland when it comes to charisma and I don't think this angle would help him at all.

It isn't like they haven't done a gay angle before so it isn't like a breaking ground thing here. I would be far more impressed if it was legit, I guess that is what I am saying. It would mean a whole hell of a lot more to me.
Agree with you 100% but is the WWE ready for a truly gay or bi wrestler?
Also, maybe Finn IS bi?

I totally derailed the discussion, I apologize. I merely wanted to mention the rumor.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% but is the WWE ready for a truly gay or bi wrestler?
Also, maybe Finn IS bi?

I totally derailed the discussion, I apologize. I merely wanted to mention the rumor.
It is still on topic so it is okay.

And yeah I think they are. Like to me, it makes no difference who these wrestlers sleep with, that is there business but if you want to make it a public storyline, have it mean something. Finn may be bi, I am not sure. I don't think it was ever brought up cause most people don't care about this stuff. They just want to see wrestlers who can wrestle and good storylines.

Reactions: 0ctobre

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I know we have Velveteen Dream in NXT but a gay dude in the main shows would show some sort of progress.
Sonya Deville is a lesbian. Darren Young was gay. Both of them wrestled on RAW and on PPVs. Their characters were not packaged in a rainbow box, so I can't blame you for not being aware of them.

Has Velveteen Dream ever been declared gay on NXT programming? If I'm not mistaken he merely acts...well, his way, and we assume he's gay. His character's motivations and desires aren't tied up in that behavior. It's a backdrop while his actual motivations take center stage, like whenever he wanted Aleister Black to say his name. I'd call him ambiguously gay rather than certified Homo Simpson level gay.

Point is, something needs to happen with him if he's going to stay (or become, for a lot of people) interesting.
Yes, but what would being gay or bi do to make Finn interesting? How does his character change in response to the sexuality change? For a show based off romance, sure, it wouldn't be a problem.

WWE's schtick is wrestling, though, not romance. In fact, considering Rusev/Summer vs. Ziggler/Lana, I'd say WWE's schtick should never include romance. At any time.

That would be shallow and dumb even within WWE standards.
Santina Marella existed.

It's definitely a touchy thing to handle and for sure it would make some people angry however it's dealt with but it might be worth it.
Think about the about LGBTQ people in the world. How many of them do you think are going to start watching WWE because there's an LGBTQ character on programming? Keep in mind there are LGBTQ characters on other shows as well.

Now think about the amount of viewers WWE could lose for promoting such a character. I'm willing to bet they'll experience a net decrease in viewers rather than a net increase if they stick an "in your face" LGBTQ character on screen. Not to mention any potential controversy that will surely arise whenever Balor doesn't get pushed through the roof and the precious "yay, gay stuff!" character remains an unimportant midcarder. That failure will be chalked up to WWE being discriminatory, and as the Women's Battle Royale at WrestleMania shows, WWE cares tremendously about their image.

They have one the roster right now.
I spend like seven minutes typing this post mentioning that. Grr!

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
News to me. I thought that was a rumour.
Nah she is Bi. I can't remember where she said it but she has openly mentioned liking girls. I think she is more of a sausage lover is all. lol

Also, Jessamyn Duke was recently signed and I think she is a lesbian. I could be wrong.

0ctobre

Jobber
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I appreciate the long detailed reply.
You are all absolutely right that being gay should not be used as a gimmick and I am definitely not interested in romantic storylines, gay, straight or otherwise (unless it is done masterfully like the Golden Lovers).

Redboy123@

Reaction score
I'm straight to the point lol

Goldust using gay tactics to play mind games was a great character. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays for good reason. That heel heat tho

So what kinda storyline/gimmick do people hope to see for Finn?
Finn should win the MITB maybe... He already has a great character arc. The first ever Universal Champion, who had to relinquish it due to injury. Everything he does from now on should be about him trying to reclaim the title he never lost. Then see what happens from there

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
So what kinda storyline/gimmick do people hope to see for Finn?
I'd like "the demon" to be an actual alter ego that Finn struggles to keep in check. He has to wrestle much more violently as the demon so that it actually feels different rather than just being a costume. Paintjob. Whatever you wanna call it. Ultimately he loses control and his evil side takes over, causing Finn to only wrestle while in the paint for a while. I dunno what to do with him after that period, but hey, it gives him a storyline at the very least.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
I'd like "the demon" to be an actual alter ego that Finn struggles to keep in check. He has to wrestle much more violently as the demon so that it actually feels different rather than just being a costume. Paintjob. Whatever you wanna call it. Ultimately he loses control and his evil side takes over, causing Finn to only wrestle while in the paint for a while. I dunno what to do with him after that period, but hey, it gives him a storyline at the very least.
I differ from this view. I like that the demon is just something he uses as mind games for big matches. He should pretend to be the demon but it's used as a way of intimidation, instead of something we actually believe is true. That's just my preference in wrestling I suppose.