Fightful: WWE in talks for another major event outside United States

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Per Fightful Select WWE has reached out to representatives in Australia to gauge interest for a potential premium live event in the country.

Fightful also notes that often when information is reported about a city being a front runner for a PLE, it is done to drum up interest in the area before it’s an actual reality.​
Was thinking this would probably be an option next given the amount of Aussies they're accumulating on the main roster now. Not sure how the timezone converts to US time but I know it's abysmal for EU.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It's in the early AM for most of the US I'm pretty sure, like 3 or 4 a.m. I wanna say bc I assume it's about the same as when live Japan shows air here.

If they really cared about that, they could do what the UFC does and air the card at like fucking 11 a.m. Australia time which would be a more normal time in the US. Weird af but the UFC crowd did not seem any less hype due to it being in the morning for them at their last Aussie show

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
They gotta look at doing an Ireland show aswell while they have Bex, Sheamus & Finn.

Mexico gotta be on the list too.

Reactions: Chris

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
This new report comes after the Wrestling Observer noted in April that WWE was negotiating with the state government of Western Australia to run a major stadium show. It was said that the deal would be similar to when the city of Melbourne made a deal with WWE twice to run stadium shows, one of which was the Super Show-Down pay-per-view. It’s believed that WWE would run the city of Perth, which hosted UFC 284 at RAC Arena in mid-February.

WWE CEO Nick Khan stated during the recent Q1 2023 earnings call that WWE is negotiating with local governments and tourism groups around the world about possibly receiving subsidies to run Premium Live Events in their markets. This trend began when the Welsh government paid WWE a significant sum to bring Clash at The Castle to Cardiff, Wales in September 2022. Khan made his recent comments when asked about officials in Puerto Rico paying WWE a seven-figure subsidy for Backlash.

“In terms of Puerto Rico and the subsidies, yes, I think we kicked it off with our show [Clash at The Castle] last Labor Day weekend in obviously, Wales, where there was what we believe to be a significant government subsidy for that event. We hit all the markers on it. And we’ve now started to replicate that, both domestically and continue to do so internationally. So Puerto Rico, we’re having conversations with a number of different cities in the United States and abroad in terms of what we can do.”

Khan made similar comments earlier in the Q1 2023 earnings call when making his prepared remarks.

“Looking ahead, the coming months are an exciting moment for our company as we embark on our biggest run of international shows in WWE history. This coming Saturday, Backlash will emanate from San Juan, Puerto Rico, where Bad Bunny will compete in rang against Damien Priest, and what will be a completely sold out arena. We also received a seven-figure subsidy for this event. We are in a dialogue with a number of different local governments, tourism groups and event organizations about the economic impact of WWE when our events come to town. Look for more updates on this in the future as these conversations progress.”​

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
They did the first Super Showdown (technically Super Show-Down) in Australia and it started at 4 AM ET I'm pretty sure. I'm sure for a proper PLE they'd do the UFC approach.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
They did the first Super Showdown (technically Super Show-Down) in Australia and it started at 4 AM ET I'm pretty sure. I'm sure for a proper PLE they'd do the UFC approach.

Depends, I think that Super Showdown was built towards like a pretty big show still? I really think they might just air it at a fucked up time for us bc they don't have to worry about PPV buys like the UFC does

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Nah fuck it. Do the show at 4 am :garrett

Reactions: #Waddles

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Nah fuck it. Do the show at 4 am :garrett
definitely. It starts 4AM Australia time lol.

And Lord knows if the show happens we know Mami will be in the Main Event.

• Love
Reactions: #Waddles

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Depends, I think that Super Showdown was built towards like a pretty big show still? I really think they might just air it at a fucked up time for us bc they don't have to worry about PPV buys like the UFC does
Eh it was definitely house show vibes and in between HIAC and Evolution in a way that meant that it was mostly holding pattern stuff

Reactions: Chris

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Eh it was definitely house show vibes and in between HIAC and Evolution in a way that meant that it was mostly holding pattern stuff

But.... It had the last time ever match between Triple H and The Undertaker! Lol yeah that show was similar to the early Saudi shows where it's a big stadium show betweens PPVs instead of just having the big stadium show actually BE the PPV.

Reactions: Chris and Hoss

Lethal

Tiffy Time
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
fnexxBT
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
LMoHyDQ
8pm EST for the Americans, is 10am AEST for us, so....+14 difference. If we started at 7pm, it'd be on the air at 5am for America.

It'd actually be very friendly for the UK, like 10am if the show started 7pm AEST or 11am if it started at 8pm.

This could change if Perth gets it, which is AWST (-2 hours) so would be 8am UK/3am US

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
definitely. It starts 4AM Australia time lol.

And Lord knows if the show happens we know Mami will be in the Main Event.

Only if the build and a Main Event level opponent is there... and even then I feel that it's not very likely to happen.

These international shows are good and all, but as long as they are build up and done just like super-glorified tour shows and not like actual "PLE"s, then I dunno if it's that great that they gravitate towards doing more of them. Of course it's great for the local fans that they get to see an actual "PLE"-sized show and not just some international tour house show live, but in general it'll render these shows almost pointless, if nothing of importance ever really happens in them.

Lethal

Tiffy Time
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
fnexxBT
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
LMoHyDQ
MAMI to defend against Charlotte in a WM rematch would be cool (fuck the draft).

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Only if the build and a Main Event level opponent is there... and even then I feel that it's not very likely to happen.

These international shows are good and all, but as long as they are build up and done just like super-glorified tour shows and not like actual "PLE"s, then I dunno if it's that great that they gravitate towards doing more of them. Of course it's great for the local fans that they get to see an actual "PLE"-sized show and not just some international tour house show live, but in general it'll render these shows almost pointless, if nothing of importance ever really happens in them.
What would be unlikely about Rhea main eventing an Australian PLE? Seems to me like they'd almost definitely go that route, unless there was a Roman defense that fit the bill. Even then, I wouldn't be that surprised if they had Rhea main event if Roman's opponent wasn't someone significant.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
What would be unlikely about Rhea main eventing an Australian PLE? Seems to me like they'd almost definitely go that route, unless there was a Roman defense that fit the bill. Even then, I wouldn't be that surprised if they had Rhea main event if Roman's opponent wasn't someone significant.
I would agree with you in principle if they hadn't just put Cody Brock, a non title match, as a headliner in Puerto Rico instead of the biggest pop artist in the world atm. they seem to be pretty intent on certain folks (roman, brock) always main eventing. prob best to hope for a roman bloodline multiman so Rhea can actually headline (which she deserves and its what i would do, i just dont really trust wwe with headliners or good womens booking :p)