Fightful: CM Punk in talks for an in ring return with AEW as likely landing spot

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah, poor Hangman. Hopefully he gets a good title run and Punk and Bryan stay away from it for awhile.

I don't think them winning the title is the issue, its that a lot of people want to see them challenge Kenny in his current character before he drops it but also want Hangman to win at All Out and there simply isn't time lol they could push it to Full Gear I think, but I'm not so sure it'd work well with how they've just now started ramping up Kenny/Hangman in recent weeks.

Bryan and Punk vs Kenny could also happen without the title obviously too but thered then be complaints that it's overshadowing Hangman's title run (which is probably would) so idk really, I'm interested in the direction they take

Reactions: Vegeta

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I don't think them winning the title is the issue, its that a lot of people want to see them challenge Kenny in his current character before he drops it but also want Hangman to win at All Out and there simply isn't time lol they could push it to Full Gear I think, but I'm not so sure it'd work well with how they've just now started ramping up Kenny/Hangman in recent weeks.

Bryan and Punk vs Kenny could also happen without the title obviously too but thered then be complaints that it's overshadowing Hangman's title run (which is probably would) so idk really, I'm interested in the direction they take
I think it depends, you can still have Kenny do some super devious shit to retain, then Hangman wins it the next time. I'm torn on this because on one end, Hangman is red hot. But on the other, I'm not 100% I want Kenny to drop the belt before he collects some japan ones

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I still want him to get a good run :lol but yeah I understand all of that as well.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think it depends, you can still have Kenny do some super devious shit to retain, then Hangman wins it the next time. I'm torn on this because on one end, Hangman is red hot. But on the other, I'm not 100% I want Kenny to drop the belt before he collects some japan ones

I was honestly thinking the Dark Order might just lose the match tonight:lol probably wouldn't go over well though

• Wow
Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Yeah, poor Hangman. Hopefully he gets a good title run and Punk and Bryan stay away from it for awhile.

tenor.gif

On a serious note, I don't think Punk or Bryan really need the title to be doing big things. Name value alone is enough. Obviously would be cool in the future, but continuing to build up their guys is the way to go.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'd be as far as willing to say they're definitely not winning the title. It's just if their arrival throws off the current title storyline or not is the issue I have bc they've done Kenny/Hangman so well up to this point

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Bad News Booty

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I'd be as far as willing to say they're definitely not winning the title. It's just if their arrival throws off the current title storyline or not is the issue I have bc they've done Kenny/Hangman so well up to this point

The irony of a Punk vs Kenny program overshadowing The Hangman title run would be so thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The way I look at it, the real crux of this Hangman arc is the pursuit of the title and a win over Kenny, to disprove everything that his old friend said about him being a worthless drunk, yada yada yada... For me, he could win the title and drop it at Full Gear and I would have no problem with it. I don't think he needs to have a long title reign for this all to be worthwhile. The whole thing is gonna peak with him beating Kenny, and anything after that is just the cherry on top.

When he beats Omega, the pop is gonna be absurd. There's no question. It's going to be incredible. The only thing they SHOULDN'T DO is have Punk come out during or after the match. Just as long as Hangman gets a clean, fair win and is allowed to have his moment to celebrate afterwards, I'm all good.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
b4uhhx8xw1e71.jpg

Reactions: Vegeta

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
[Stephen Amell on CM Punk] “I actually texted him when all this stuff broke, like ‘you coming back?’ And he sent me back a photo of a cat shrugging. . . only thing that I know for sure is that Phil can still go, for sure. He’s in great shape.”

I 100% believe this :heston

• Haha
Reactions: Vegeta and Chris

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
[Fightful Select] TNT's reaction to CM Punk news
renderTimingPixel.png

Fightful spoke with multiple people involved with WarnerMedia and TNT,who spoke of the excitement of bringing in CM Punk, and noted that he'll have their promotional machine behind him upon his return. TNT and WarnerMedia were both "very aware" of this. TNT were very impressed by AEW running four shows over a few weeks in the same market and selling the way that they did. TNT were thrilled about the United Center/Chicago/Bulls/tie in.