Favourite fighters?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

phantomgerald

Reaction score
This place needs more topics.

I realised that I hate supporting champions and I always find somebody else in their division to root for. Who are your favourite fighters in each division.

Lightweight: WEC guys have been amazing. Cerrone, Henderson and Pettis have to be taken seriously and all of them seem like cool guys with well-rounded games. I'd pick Pettis among them as my favourite because he's just so flashy.

Welterweight: Thiago Alves. Amazing leg kicks.

Middleweight: Chael Sonnen! The rightful middleweight champion. Anderson Silva is a divisive figure. You either love him or hate him. If you hate him, you'd love Chael Sonnen.

Lightheavyweight: Ryan Bader. He just feels like a real nice guy and I always take that into account when rooting for a guy. Has amazing power as well. I do hope he improves more though seems to have plateau-ed.

Heavyweight: Stefan Struve. None of his fights are ever boring and it's amazing how this young kid has so much fight in him. Future champ for sure.

The_Shaman

Reaction score
Heavyweights - Fedor, Lesnar, Couture, Werdum and Cain
Light Heavyweight - Forrest Griffith, Shogun Rua, Chuck Liddel, Ken Shamrock and Lyota
Middleweight - Anderson Silva, Frank Shamrock,
Welterweight - Nick Diaz, BJ Penn and Jake Shields
Lightweights - Gilbert Melendez
Female - Gina Carano, Cristiane Santos, Miesha Tate and Kim Couture

Reaction score
Bantamweight: Aldo (top 3 pound for pound and is a former soccer player - best MMA backgound you can ever get! :p )

Lightweight: Frankie Edgar is still proving why he won the title from BJ Penn.

Welterweight: GSP nuff said.

Middleweight: Anderson Silva. Period.

Lightheavyweight: Right now, its Rashad Evans (eventhough I hate his gut, but his promos and bouts are good enough to watch him with interest)

Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar (controversies and some WWE-stylish promos are what I like to see with this guy).

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Bantamweight: Haven't paid enough attention yet to make a real pick.

Lightweight: Frankie Edgar is the man. His fights are always wars.

Welterweight: GSP

Middleweight: I love Anderson but Chael Sonnen entertains me to no end.

Lightheavyweight: Rashad. I love watching Jon Jones fight but there's something about the guy that just rubs me the wrong way. Really want to see Rashad put his lights out.

Heavyweight: Really want to say Brock, but I've loved the performances that JDS has put on.

GSP is a politician, If he fought Nick Diaz right now, Diaz would kill him.

What? Diaz has like, zero defense against strong wrestlers. GSP would take him down and wrestlefuck him to a UD.

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
Bantamweight: Urijah Faber, Dominick Cruz, "Mighty Mouse" Johnson, Scott Jorgenson, Alex "Bruce Leeroy" Caceres, and Brian Bowles
Featherweight: Jose Aldo, Ken-Flo, Chan Sung Jung, Cub Swanson, Tyson Griffin, and Josh Grispi
Lightweight: Melvin Guillard, Anthony Pettis, and Ben Henderson
Welterweight: Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, and "Rumble" Johnson,
Middleweight: Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Court McGee, and "Mayhem" Miller,
Light Heavyweight: Phil Davis, "Rampage" Jackson, Jon "Bones" Jones, and Rashad Evans
Heavyweight: Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, Cheick Kongo, Matt Mitrione, Allistair Overeem, Daniel Cormier, and Brendan Schaub

The_Shaman

Reaction score
What? Diaz has like, zero defense against strong wrestlers. GSP would take him down and wrestlefuck him to a UD.

Dude, your talking about a dude with a black belt in BJJ under gracie training, GSP is a fake ass, weak fighter who plays games in the ring by playing it safe and Vaselineling his back so BJ Penn couldn't wrestle him.
Listen to Joe Rogan's rthoughts on Nick Diaz.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Rampage is still my favorite fighter (fuck what anyone says, if not for him and guys like Chuck, Hughes and Couture I would'nt be as big a fan as I am) after that I would say BJ Penn, Josh Koscheck, Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Urijah Faber, Dominick Cruz, Jon Jones, Court McGee, Big Nog, "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields are some of my favorite fighters.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Dude, your talking about a dude with a black belt in BJJ under gracie training

So did Jake Shields and Shields was completely ineffective until he resorted to poking GSP in the eye and even then he still couldn't win.

GSP is a fake ass, weak fighter who plays games in the ring by playing it safe and Vaselineling his back so BJ Penn couldn't
wrestle him.

lol haters are hilarious.

The_Shaman

Reaction score
Your talking about a guy who just used his wait and see attitude in the fight, "I wait for shields to strike then I will counter Strike."
GSP is smart in the octagon but what happens when he comes up against a guy who doesn't give a fuck about getting hit or a guy who walked though Paul Daley's puches to knock Paul daley out.
Nick Diaz has come along way from his stint in UFC and I am not saying that GSP isn't a good thinker in the octagon but if you were comparing strength, Chin, Ability to get in another fighter's head and endurance, Diaz will kill him.
All respect for GSP and his ability but Diaz will kill him.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Your talking about a guy who just used his wait and see attitude in the fight, "I wait for shields to strike then I will counter Strike."

I'm not seeing the problem. GSP and his team are master strategists. Watching him fight isn't for everyone, I know, but for me I love it because he is just so damned good and his game plans are perfect.

GSP is smart in the octagon but what happens when he comes up against a guy who doesn't give a fuck about getting hit or a guy who walked though Paul Daley's puches to knock Paul daley out.

This is the first knock against Diaz. He may not give a fuck, but if he's fighting GSP he better because walking in and throwing isn't going to get him very far. GSP will know this before hand and will plan accordingly. The only way to beat GSP at this point is to out think him and Diaz can't do that.

In regards to Paul Daley, Diaz was lucky that Daley has zero ground game because if it was GSP who would have knocked DIaz down like that, he probably would have finished him.

Nick Diaz has come along way from his stint in UFC

Maybe. It's not like he's actually fought top level competition though. He's been a big fish in a small pond for years now. Also, Paul Daley isn't high level competition, Daley is a one dimensional striker. The best fighter that Diaz fought since leaving the UFC was Takanori Gomi and that's it. GSP has been fighting and beating the best that the UFC has to offer for the past 4 years.

and I am not saying that GSP isn't a good thinker in the octagon but if you were comparing strength, Chin, Ability to get in another fighter's head and endurance, Diaz will kill him.

I don't think Diaz can get inside GSP's head. If he can come out half blinded against Jake Shields for 3 rounds then there is no way that Diaz and his I don't give a fuck attitude is going to get inside GSP's head.

On Diaz's chin though, he doesn't exactly have a good chin. In his fight against Daley, Daley had him (if Daley had anything beyond punching that is) but Nick showed tremendous recovery, not an iron chin and the difference between Daley and GSP is that GSP won't give him that time he needs to recover.

Either way should Diaz beat BJ, and I'm not sure that he will. It really depends on which BJ shows up tomorrow night. He should get the shot at GSP after Condit and I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing the fight.