Favorite/Least Favorite Announce Teams of All Time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Whos your personal favorite commentary team, dont just say "JR is the best ever" well duh. Which announce TEAM had the best chemistry and gave you the most entertainment??

Personally I think J.R. and Paul Heyman's run in 2001 as the Raw announce team was absolutley stellar. Definately my pick as favorite of all time, JR was already the voice of the industry, and for someone like Paul Heyman to come to the booth and be so damn good at it right from day 1. (Which I remember watching btw, and as a youngster barely knowing who Heyman was and wondering where King went, which for some reason Paul flat out said the honest truth why King left on his first night out lmao) But these two called WM 17 together, which is by far my favorite PPV of all time, and I think its partially due to these guys and their excellent commentary. They just clicked right off the bat, and I truley miss that team and wish it lasted longer.

Honorable mentions go out to JR and King, the Punk,King, Michael Cole team (which is mostly due to Punk being absolutley hilarious)

But the man who was the closest to competing with my #1 pick is Joey Styles on the original ECW commentary by himself. If I were a true original ECW viewer and ordered their PPVs live back then, he'd easily be my #1, but given the fact that I've only watched a shitload of old tapes I wont go as far as to say hes my favorite ever. The man would sit alone with no partner and call the action in ways we never heard before and never will again, this guy is number 2 to Jim Ross as the best wrestling commentator of all time, and not just for his Oh my godd catch phrase, but simply for the fact that he brought that passion to every single match and made you want to keep watching the action in the ring, he knew his shit and knew it well, and always knew what to say and how to make it sound good. Its Sad that WWE has him under contract and all he does is sit on the computer and play with their annoying ass Website, because that man was the voice of ECW and honestly helped big time in making it what it was. He and JR would make the greatest team in history and it sucks that WWE is yet to take advantage of that oppurtunity.

As far as my least favorite is concerned..well this one is real easy for me. Mike Tenay and Don fucking West....

I used to watch TNA like ALOT I followed it and tuned in every week for a reallly long time, but god damn every single week hearing that fucking absolute idiot Don West on Commentary made me sick. I sware theres never been one guy whos made me have the urge to turn some wrestling off of my TV more than that guy. And Tenay is a good broadcaster, but his work in WCW by far overshadows anything hes done in TNA, He is just a mark now a days.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
For me, it's easily classic JR/King... and I mean heel King when there was absolutely no way to get him to say one favorable comment about a single face superstar.

But while I say easily, I do have to give a special nod to Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon. Heenan really carried Monsoon most of the time, but they played so perfectly off of each other. Ross is by far the most emotional guy to ever do it... but Heenan was outright spectacular and is easily 2nd best ever in my book.

Vince McMahon & Jerry Lawler was a good duo for a while.

Vince McMahon & Randy Savage (for the lolz)

JR/Heyman was a good duo as well.

JBL/Cole (solely because you can die of laughter at the amount of times JBL had to correct Cole calling a move wrong in one match, let alone an entire night)

I would say the Punk group as well... but... it wasn't nearly enough of it for me.

Also Black Snow & Chet Lemon, lmfao!

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Favorites:
-Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay
-Jim Ross and Paul Heyman

Least Favorites:
-Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole
-Mike Tenay and Tazz

...god...

Reaction score
Best:
JR/King
JR/Heyman
JBL/Cole
JBL/Anyone
Punk/Cole

Worst:
Grisham/Striker on SD
Grisham/Anyone

Reaction score
Heenan/Monsoon...the undisputed best by a "Mike Tyson fuck you til you love me" sized rape.
Heenan/Ventura
JR/Lalwer from 97 til King left
Shiavone/Big Dust...I loved Duthty from Saturday Night..."he's uh poolun up tuh deh peh winduh"

Good 'uns: JBL, Taz in his first SD! run, Mike Tenay (too bad he's been paired with a tool in a shit company the past ten years) Joey Styles, Mick Foley

Awful: Michael Cole (dont care what he's done recently, he adds NOTHING to a match and autistics convey more emotion than him. Booker T, face Lawler (fuck is he horrible and the E is pushing the "B A Star bullshit and this fuck is constantly bullying Vikki...) Mongo McMichael, Adamle

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Damn, I knew I forgot someone... Ventura/Heenan was brilliant.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't have WWF Heenan in their list instantly FAILS!

Ventura/Heenan

When? ...Not doubting you, but I don't recall EVER hearing them commentating on the same show.

Best:

Monsoon/Heenan
Monsoon/Jesse
Vince/Jesse (Didn't really like Vince, but the dynamic was awesome... "Shuddup McMaannnnnnn!!!")
JR/Heyman

Big props for JBL too, just a shame he never got paired with a good play-by-play guy.

Worst:

Cole/King
Sean Mooney/Alfred Hayes.... (Amusing, but terrible... A bit like Booker.)

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Shit, meant Monsoon. Reading Enzo's post threw me off...

Airfixx

Reaction score
Question over to you then, Enzo....

Mat Awesome

Reaction score
Favorites:
-Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay
-Jim Ross and Paul Heyman

Least Favorites:
-Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole
-Mike Tenay and Tazz

I agree completely, but I just think that Schaivone, Tenay and Heenan is one of the best commentating groups. Especially Schaivone, he is just flat out good. I think he is one of the best commentators of all time.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Agree.... And no way the WCW Heenan comes close to WWE Heenan either.

To his own admission, he stopped caring soon after he arrived and saw how the company was run.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, you can tell how terribly he mailed it in there. I think his best WCW work came when he was involved in the Flair-Macho feud. That was awesome shit right there.

Reaction score
Best:
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan (good ole days)

Worst:
Cole/Grisham (sucks monkey balls imo)

Reaction score
Favorite

Joey Styles and Joel Gertner

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan

Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler (Back when Lawler was a good heel commentator)

Jim Ross and Paul Heyman

Worst

Any and I do mean any combination of commentators WWE currently has committing ear rape every monday and friday nights. Plus pay per views. When the commentators are more concerned with arguing with each other and getting themselves over as opposed to getting the wrestlers or the storylines over that's bad.

*Commentator* (Probably Scott Hudson who sucked out loud in his own right)/Larry Zbysko (or however the fuck you spell it) from WCW Saturday Night. Dusty Rhodes was unintelligle but Zbysko's rambling left you wondering "what the fuck is he talking about?"

Mike Tenay and Tazz. On WCW Tenay was good as the intelligent member of the broadcast team who actually knew what the moves were. Now he is just godawful in TNA. An old cigar box filled with rusty washers would show more emotion as a commentator than Mike Tenay. And my God Tazz has no business being anywhere near a commentator's headset anymore.

Matt Striker and anybody. You could probably fill a War and Peace sized book with all the idiotic things Striker has said on commentary.