Euro 2012 Qualifying Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well the Euro Cup is the 2nd biggest sporting event in terms of football on the international stage and while it's arguable, for me it's bigger than Champions League. Euro Cup is where the best European teams play each other to see who is the best team in Europe. It was a huge success in 2008 where we saw the rise of Spain which has become a dynasty of players with their success in the 2010 World Cup. But with teams like Holland, Germany, France, England, Italy, Croatia, and others it's going to be tough for Spain to repeat. Their is a playoff system which has eight 2nd place teams fight for a spot in the Euros. All first place teams and the team with the points in 2nd place go through automatically. I will keep a thread for now on how qualifiers are going, I hope you guys are into it ( it was a huge fail on PWM but whatever don't care for them).

Group A
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Germany 4 4 0 0 13 1 +12 12
Austria 3 2 1 0 9 4 +5 7
Turkey 4 2 0 2 6 6 0 6
Belgium 4 1 1 2 8 8 0 4
Azerbaijan 3 1 0 2 2 9 −7 3
Kazakhstan 4 0 0 4 0 10 −10 0

Germany has breezed through their group so far. They are easily the most dominant team in this group with winning every game in easy fashion. You can expect them to be in Poland/Ukraine in 2012 with no worries. After that, their are an expected three teams to fight for that last spot. Austria has the early head start having played one less game, but they still have to play third place side Turkey twice. Turkey is expected to come in 2nd with genius Gus Hiddink in charge, but a 1-0 loss to Azerbaijan has cause for concern. Belgium will be fighting for a spot too, but a lack of an offense attack will likely cost them.

Group B

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Russia 4 3 0 1 6 3 +3 9
Ireland 4 2 1 1 7 5 +2 7
Armenia 4 2 1 1 9 4 +5 7
Slovakia 4 2 1 1 4 4 0 7
Macedonia 4 1 1 2 4 4 0 4
Andorra 4 0 0 4 1 11 −10 0

This is one of the tightest qualifying groups so far. Russia lead the group and even if they don't win the group, expect them in. With the talent they have with Arshavin, Pavylunchenko, and Zhrikov, their is no way they can miss it after missing out on World Cup 2010. They dominated their biggest competition for most of the match in a 3-2 win over Ireland. A minor slip up early in September against Slovakia was their only error. Ireland, Armenia, and Slovakia are all battling. Armenia is a nice story upsetting the Slovaks 3-1, but expect them eventually to fall apart. It will come down to Slovakia and Ireland, with that game in Dublin to settle in later in stages. In the end, I expect the Irish to just make it out with their gritty play and timely goals from the likes of Keane and Doyle.

Group C

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Italy 4 3 1 0 10 1 +9 10
Slovenia 4 2 1 1 7 3 +4 7
Estonia 4 2 0 2 6 5 +1 6
N Ireland 3 1 2 0 2 1 +1 5
Serbia 4 1 1 2 5 7 −2 4
Faroe 5 0 1 4 3 16 −13 1

One of the more weaker groups have been affected by the decline of Serbia, not to mention their wild fans. Italy should easily get to the Euro Cup despite having a declining team. They look to develop young talent, but have struggled to get great results so far. A 3-0 win over Serbia was aided by Serbian riots and UEFA punishment. Slovenia who shocked the world and made it to WC 2010 are in 2nd, but it will be a struggle for them to get in. Estonia is surprising and Northern Ireland is playing tough, so the spot for 2nd is up for grabs. Serbia is still in, but are in major trouble. They should easily make it with the talent they have, but it will be difficult. They are in must win mode already against Northern Ireland this Friday. In the end, in an absolute shocker Northern Ireland will sneak into a 2nd spot with Serbia dropping too many points and Slovenia unable to get any points in games against Italy.

Group D
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
France 4 3 0 1 6 1 +5 9
Belarus 4 2 2 0 3 0 +3 8
Albania 4 1 2 1 3 4 −1 5
Bosnia 3 1 1 1 4 3 +1 4
Romania 3 0 2 1 1 3 −2 2
Luxembourg4 0 1 3 0 6 −6 1

After a tough start, France has hit their groove and have proved over friendly victories over England and Brazil they are ready to make a run. France may only be one point ahead from surprising Belarus, but they will continue to prove they are the top team in the group by far. With Ribery and Evra coming back, the team only gets better. Belarus is in the 2nd top with their huge win over France early in September. They have some competition with Albania and Bosnia around. Bosnia is a team to watch out for, with good young talent like Erin Dzeko and Mladen Pajnic. I look for Bosnia to make a run to 2nd and make that playoff spot, they have just enough to stop both Albania and Belarus.

Group E
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Netherlands 4 4 0 0 12 2 +10 12
Hungary 4 3 0 1 12 4 +8 9
Sweden 3 2 0 1 9 4 +5 6
Moldova 4 2 0 2 5 3 +2 6
Finland 4 1 0 3 10 6 +4 3
San Marino 5 0 0 5 0 29 −29 0

Holland got a very easy draw and have taken advantage of it with taking all 12 points. They should easily get to Euro 2012 led by Huntelaar with 8 goals and a great array of players that can score at any time. Hungary and Sweden expect to battle for the 2nd spot with Finland disappointing and Moldova to eventually drop down. Hungary have started to grow more young talent and have performed better, but Sweden who will look to get back to a major tournament will get the 2nd spot. With young players like Sebastian Larrson developing, they will prove too powerful for Hungary like they already proved in a 2-0 victory in October.

Group F
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Croatia 4 3 1 0 8 1 +7 10
Greece 4 2 2 0 4 2 +2 8
Georgia 4 1 3 0 3 2 +1 6
Israel 4 1 1 2 5 5 0 4
Latvia 4 1 1 2 3 5 −2 4
Malta 4 0 0 4 1 9 −8 0

After missing out on WC 2010, Croatia ( my heritage and team I root for the most) are back to their winning ways and have dominated the group. The only major fault they had was missing chance after chance in a 0-0 to Greece. But with dominating performances and an array of midfield talent with the likes of Kranjcar and Modric. You can expect Croatia to be there come 2012. The rest of the group is up for grabs with Greece, Georgia, and Israel all expect to battle. Israel desperately need Beynoun back if they want a chance for 2nd, but they won't get him back till they have to play Croatia and Greece. I expect Greece to take the 2nd spot, even though I do enjoy Georgia's spirit. The Greeks with their boring play will grind it out and get that 2nd spot.

Group G
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Montenegro 4 3 1 0 3 0 +3 10
England 3 2 1 0 7 1 +6 7
Switzerland 3 1 0 2 5 5 0 3
Bulgaria 3 1 0 2 1 5 −4 3
Wales 3 0 0 3 1 6 −5 0

Don't get too amped up England fans, a win over Wales this Saturday gets you into first place with goal differential. England have dominated their group, other than a major hiccup at home against the most surprising team in the tournament in Montenegro. Despite dominating the match and should have winning two penalties, England stuttered to a 0-0 tie at Wembley. Montenegro have shocked the world with beating the rest of the group all by 1-0 with Roma star Mirko Vucinic being the hero in two of them. Led by Niko Kranjcar's dad, Montenegro have been fantastic and with the country being the size of Birmingham, Alabama it's a great story if they make it. I say they will make it, but have to benefit from a good draw in the playoff round because England is too powerful not to come in 1st. But England must be wary, two games against Gareth Bale and Wales won't be easy despite the Welsh struggles. Switzerland could make a run, but I don't see them coming back from being that far back.

Group H
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Norway 3 3 0 0 5 2 +3 9
Portugal 4 2 1 1 10 7 +3 7
Denmark 3 2 0 1 4 3 +1 6
Cyprus 3 0 1 2 5 8 −3 1
Iceland 3 0 0 3 2 6 −4 0

Norway has shocked so far and are in 1st in their group. With beating Portugal 1-0, they have an advantage with a game in hand. It will be tough for Norway to continue this with aging stars like Jon Carew, but expect new talent to come along such as Brede Hangerland and Norway will just make it over Denmark who have struggled so far for the 2nd spot. Portugal will come in 1st, as they have too much talent not to and expect better results under a new coaching regime.

Group I
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Spain 3 3 0 0 10 3 +7 9
Czech Republic3 2 0 1 3 1 +2 6
Scotland 4 1 1 2 4 5 −1 4
Lithuania 3 1 1 1 2 3 −1 4
Liechtenstein3 0 0 3 1 8 −7 0

The last group has Spain easing away and ready to defend their title. They have beaten everyone, despite getting a scare from Scotland. Spain will become in first creating a fight for 2nd. It will be tough between the next three teams, but with the golden age of Czech Republic dying not to mention not great talent coming up, I expect the Scots to finally get their shot at trying to get a major tournament in the playoff round for the first time sine 98. With new talent such as Kris Commons and Robert Snodgrass, I would watch out for the Scots.

Well those are the groups for now, with games happening on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday. I expect it to be heated and for some great action to take place. Until then, feel free to post whatever.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
This is a really good and informative thread Punk. I am an England fan and should see us in the tournament in 2012. I think we have enough to beat Wales. Here are my predictions for the groups:

Group A:

Germany
Turkey
Austria
Belguim
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

Group B:

Russia
Ireland
Slovakia
Armenia
Macedonia
Andorra

Group C:

Italy
Slovenia
Serbia
N.Ireland
Estonia
Faroe Is.

Group D:

France
Bosnia
Belarus
Romania
Albania
Luxembourg

Group E:

Netherlands
Sweden
Hungary
Finland
Moldova
San Marino

Group F:

Greece
Croatia
Israel
Georgia
Latvia
Malta

Group G:

England
Montenegro
Wales
Bulgaria
Switzerland

Group H:

Portugal
Norway
Denmark
Iceland
Cyprus

Group I:

Spain
Scotland
Czech Rep
Lithuania
Lichtenstein

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Ouch man Greece over Croatia. I think your seriously underrating Croatia, believe me they are far from the team England destroyed the past few years. With Bale out, England should easily handle Wales. I know Bellamy and Ramsey are threats, but still England is too powerful. I will talk about the games sometime today, because games start tomorrow. Otherwise great picks.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
I think Croatia will get through but I think Greece could cause an upset. On paper their team is just as good if not better as their team that won Euro 2004. I think with Corluka, Modric and Kranjcar playing in England and Europe they are prone to injury and could tire easily with Tottenhams big fixture list.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This is going through March 25th and March 26th. Their is another batch during the week, but I will go through weekend action.

Group A- In Friday action, Belgium plays Austria in a huge game in Vienna. Belgium can't lose this game since they are behind Austria and Austria has played one less game. Belgium needs to get one point somehow and I think they will in a 0-0 with a strong back four with Vincent Kompany really making himself a household name in the EPL. Germany plays Kazahkstan on Saturday that marks the ten year anniversary of the debut of German legend Miroslav Klose. I expect him to score at least one in a game where Germany should win at home.

Group B- Slovakia plays a easy one against Andorra, where the Slovaks looks to get an easy three points and should get it with ease. The interesting one is in Dublin which has Macedonia vs Ireland. Both teams are scrappy and tough to break down, but look for the Irish to dig deep and squeeze out a 1-0 win with a goal from Kevin Doyle.

Group C- Serbia plays Northern Ireland in a critical game for both teams. Both teams will look to jump to 2nd with Slovenia in a tough match at home against Italy. Serbia really needs three points if they have any shot at qualifying. Northern Ireland could really boost themselves with a win, but will need to do without Steven Davis. I expect a 1-1 draw out of this game with Serbia on the edge of elimination. Italy plays Slovenia in the other game with Italy looking to find their groove despite an unbeaten record. Slovenia is tough to break down, but look for a 2-0 win by the Italians to boost morale following a few incidents with key players such as Danielle De Rossi and Mario Ballotelli.

Group D- France plays Luxembourg in what should be an easy three points for France. I see a 4-0 win as the French have been very impressive as of late. Bosnia plays Romania in what could be an elimination game for the struggling teams. I think Bosnia who I see as a team on the rise wakes out of their funk and gets a 2-0 win at home with Dzeko having a brace. Belarus plays Albania in another game which also has some big game implications. Belarus will win 1-0 in what is most likely going to be a defensive struggle.

Group E- Holland tries to continue their undefeated run as they play Hungary on Friday. Holland is without several key stars such as Van Bommel, Robben, and Stelkenberg. They may have a tough time, but with outstanding attackers from every position they should be fine. Another interesting note as Nigel De Jong back on the national side after being off the national side due to his terrible tackle on Hafan Ben Arfa in a league game for Manchester City. Hungary have been improved and I think they will sneak in a goal, but Holland will win 3-1. I expect a huge game from Van Persie.

Group F- All teams will be in action on Saturday with group leaders Croatia playing away in Georgia. I will be at Scorpicos Bar for that one in Astoria, New York ( usually the place I watch most games although recently opened up a new bar and grill called Veslo that I will check out next day). Croatia has a full fit lineup, but you can't take Georgia lightly they do compete. That being said, I will lean towards a 3-0 rather than 2-0 victory for Croatia. They have been on a scoring rampage lately, so I say Jelavic and Rakitic get it going with Modric having a field day. Greece plays Malta in what should be an easy three points for the Greeks as they look to hang on to 2nd. Israel plays Latvia in a game that Israel would like three points in, but I think Latvia will battle hard and it will end in a 1-1 draw.

Group G- The big clash on Saturday is in Wales for the Wales England game. The game had major buzz until world class winger Gareth Bale has been ruled out because of a hamstring injury. Glen Johnson is one happy man, I will tell you that much. I expected a 2-1 England win if Bale played but now I will give it a 3-1. I say Bellamy scores one to get the crowd crazy but England will have too much offensive power for the weak back four that the Welsh have to contain England. Switzerland plays Bulgaria in a game of disappointing teams. Whoever wins could challenge Montenegro for a top two spot. I think Switzerland gutters out a 1-0 win on the road for three critical points.

Group H- Norway plays Denmark in the big game in which if Denmark doesn't win they could be in serious trouble. Denmark has struggled so far and they need to somehow get a win. In Norway is going to be tough with Norway in great form including beating Portugal. A win would be huge for Norway as they look for automatic qualification. Cyprus plays Iceland in the other game with both teams looking to build momentum. I will give Iceland a 2-0 victory.

Group I- Spain plays Czech Republic in a huge game, as Spain looks to lock up 1st place in the group. They have been dominant in the Euros and play a fragile Czech team who still hasn't dealt with the aging of the golden area of their time. They lack much playmakers and defensive discipline to hang with Spain but we will see. I will give Spain a 2-0 victory in that one.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
You make a good point, but will see. Greece drawing to Georgia at home wasn't a good start but they did beat Israel in a huge game. I won't doubt the Greeks, but I just think Croatia is much more talented. We should see along the way.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
After days of digesting a horrific 1-0 loss at Georgia, I will report what went down on Saturday and today.

Group A- On Saturday, Germany continued their dominant run beating Kazahkastan 4-0. Thomas Muller and Miroslav Klose scored twice as the Germans simply made it look too easy. They are still a force to be reckon with. Turkey got a much needed win beating Austria 2-0 which puts Austria in a huge hole after being in a good position just last week. Now they are in 4th and have yet to play Germany. Arda Turan and Gonul scored for Turkey, while Volkan Dimeriel saved a penalty. Belgium beat Azerbiajan 4-1 in a easy result as they make a push for that playoff spot. Here are standings, that Belgium Turkey game is going to be huge in June. Austira has a shot still, but need to get some sort of points against Germany in June at home.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Germany 5 5 0 0 17 1 +16 15
Belgium 6 3 1 2 14 9 +5 10
Turkey 5 3 0 2 8 6 +2 9
Austria 5 2 1 2 9 8 +1 7
Azerbaijan 4 1 0 3 3 13 −10 3
Kazakhstan5 0 0 5 0 14 −14 0

Group B- Russia blew a huge chance to stay ahead as they tied Armenia 0-0. Russia wasted several chances, although I am shocked Pavylunchenko didn't play. He could have been the difference maker. Slovakia was wasteful as well but got three points in a disappointing 1-0 win over Andorra. It won't matter in the end because all goals against the last place team will get eliminated in doing tiebreakers. The other game had Ireland get a critical three points to stay on pace in the group. Aiden McGeady and Robbie Keane scored as Ireland held on for the 2-1 over Macedonia. Here are the standings in what should be a wild finish in this group. Armenia has been a surprise and are currently challenging for a top spot.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Slovakia 5 3 1 1 5 4 +1 10
Russia 5 3 1 1 6 3 +3 10
Ireland 5 3 1 1 9 6 +3 10
Armenia 5 2 2 1 9 4 +5 8
Macedonia 5 1 1 3 5 6 −1 4
Andorra 5 0 0 5 1 12 −11 0

Group C- Friday was filled with good games with top four teams clashing. Italy beat Slovenia in a highly intense 1-0 win on the road. Thiago Motta scored in the 81st in a game where it was tough to break down both defenses. Italy has now superior control over the group. Serbia won 2-1 in a must win situation against Northern Ireland. Despite conceding first, Pantellic and Tosic led a great comeback to get a huge three points. But their luck would run out as Serbia once again couldn't beat Estonia in a 1-1 draw that hurts their chances at coming back into 2nd. It was a rough snowy game, but Pantellic once again scored for Serbia but they lost the lead late on. Northern Ireland and Slovenia battled to a goal-less draw as all teams look to compete for 2nd. Here are the standings with Italy in complete control with a battle for 2nd. Serbia will really regret losing points along with that loss to Italy because of dumb fans. If they don't make the Euros, blame them for not beating Estonia and the fans.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Italy 5 4 1 0 11 1 +10 13
Slovenia 6 2 2 2 7 4 +3 8
Serbia 6 2 2 2 8 9 −1 8
Estonia 5 2 1 2 7 6 +1 7
N Ireland 5 1 3 1 3 3 0 6
Faroe Islands5 0 1 4 3 16 −13 1

Group D- France picked up three easy points in a 2-0 win over Luxembourg on Friday. Mexes and Gorcuff were on target for the new ugly jerseys for France ( not a fan). France looks to be cruising into Euro 2012 after a shaky start. Bosnia picked up huge points at home in a 2-1 win over Romania. After Romania scored first, Bosnia fired back in the 63rd then in 83rd by Manchester City newbie Erin Dzeko. Albania won a big contest 1-0 over Belarus to gain an advantage of getting a playoff spot. Today there was just one game with Romania beating Luxembourg 3-1 in a easy contest. Here are standings as France is a lock for first while it's another huge battle for 2nd. Belarus is still in 2nd despite the loss to Albania cause of goal differental. Bosnia is just a point away as they play Albania in June that could go a long way for both teams.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
France 5 4 0 1 8 1 +7 12
Belarus 5 2 2 1 3 1 +2 8
Albania 5 2 2 1 4 4 0 8
Bosnia 4 2 1 1 6 4 +2 7
Romania 5 1 2 2 5 6 −1 5
Luxembourg6 0 1 5 1 11 −10 1

Group E- Hungary seemed optimistic about getting a point in their game against Holland on Friday at home, but got completely dominated in a 4-0 loss. Tottenham star Rafael Van Der Vaart scored early on, then Affelay put them in a 2-0 lead going into half. Kuyt and Van Persie both completely the domination as Holland moved closer to clinching the group. They played again today which Hungary came well prepared for. Van Persie scored early on, but Hungary at one point was up 2-1 only for ten minutes. Then in the 60th, Wesley Snejider scored a great goal to make it 2-2. The legend Rudd Van Nisterlrooy scored to give them the lead, but it only lasted three minutes as Fulham misfit Zoltan Gera scored his 2nd goal of the game. But it lasted only three minutes, as Dirk Kuyt sealed the deal with two goals within 3 minutes to give Holland an exciting 5-3 win. There will be some questions after this, but still Holland looks to be headed to Euro 2012. Sweden won 2-1 in a big win for Sweden to get away from Moldova in the group. Sebastian Larsson scored the late goal although Moldova gave them a scare late on with a goal. Here are the standings, as Sweden has a huge advantage with two games they need to play to be at the same level with Hungary. It would shock me if Sweden doesn't get a playoff spot.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Netherlands 6 6 0 0 21 5 +16 18
Sweden 4 3 0 1 11 5 +6 9
Hungary 6 3 0 3 15 13 +2 9
Moldova 5 2 0 3 6 5 +1 6
Finland 4 1 0 3 10 6 +4 3
San Marino 5 0 0 5 0 29 −29 0

Group F- I never seen a bar more depressed ( wait when Croatia lost to Turkey in 2008 Euro Cup everyone was in tears), well anyway Croatia lost to Georgia 1-0 which has led to many questions. Is Slaven Billc ever going to be the full potential of a great squad and is Darijo Srna a good captain? Croatia wasted some chances, but never created the flow you expect out a team as talented as they are. They will be in a dogfight to get to first place. Israel and Latvia battled in a hard effort but Israel won 2-1 on a 82nd goal to keep their Euro Cup dreams alive. Greece needed 95 minutes, but they scored in a 1-0 win over Malta to take 1st place. There was one game in this group, as Israel beat Georgia 1-0 in another game that will prove a long way for Israel to qualify. Here are standings where anything is possible.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Greece 5 3 2 0 5 2 +3 11
Croatia 5 3 1 1 8 2 +6 10
Israel 6 3 1 2 8 6 +2 10
Georgia 6 2 3 1 4 3 +1 9
Latvia 5 1 1 3 4 7 −3 4
Malta 5 0 0 5 1 10 −9 0

Group G- England beat Wales easily in a 2-0 contest. England could have won by much more, but wasted chances. Ashley Young was the star as he set up Darren Bent in the first goal and drew a penalty which led to Lampard's goal. Wales looked sluggish without Gareth Bale but put up a fight in a packed stadium. England regains first place in the process. Switzerland and Bulgaria drawed 0-0 to Montenegro's delight. Here are the standings, where I would absolutely love Montenegro to qualify. The country is coached by Niko Kranjcar's dad and it's the size of Birmingham,Alabama. They seriously look like their getting a playoff spot.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
England 4 3 1 0 9 1 +8 10
Montenegro4 3 1 0 3 0 +3 10
Switzerland4 1 1 2 5 5 0 4
Bulgaria 4 1 1 2 1 5 −4 4
Wales 4 0 0 4 1 8 −7 0

Group H- Saturday's big game contained Denmark and Norway which Denmark needed some sort of points. They got one in Norway with a 1-1 draw. After Rommenhedel's great strike to put Denmark above, new top striker for Norway Eric Huskellep scored with nine minutes remaining in the game to keep Norway in first place. Cyprus tied Iceland in a dull 0-0 draw. Here are the standings where Norway is shockingly ahead of Portugal still.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Norway 4 3 1 0 6 3 +3 10
Portugal 4 2 1 1 10 7 +3 7
Denmark 4 2 1 1 5 4 +1 7
Cyprus 4 0 2 2 5 8 −3 2
Iceland 4 0 1 3 2 6 −4 1

Group I- The big contest between Spain and Czech Republic was a good one as Spain won 2-1. The Czechs shockingly went up first when Pasli's goal from 35 yards out somehow went in. Spain controlled most of the game but as usual missed their chances. David Villa scored twice including one penalty which has kept Spain in first. Spain played today and beat Lithuania 3-1. After an Xavi goal early on, Lithuania tied it up as the crowd was going insane. But an own goal in the 70th and a goal by Mata late on. Czech Republic got an easy 2-0 win over Lietchistein. Here are the standings with Scotland needing to start pulling off some more wins in September and October.

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Spain 5 5 0 0 15 5 +10 15
Czechs 5 3 0 2 6 3 +3 9
Scotland 4 1 1 2 4 5 −1 4
Lithuania 4 1 1 2 3 6 −3 4
Liechtenstein4 0 0 4 1 10 −9 0

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Keep up with the good reviews Allen. Really interesting read and I'm really impressed with how your knowledge is improving and you're becoming much more constructive and un-bias

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Thanks any thoughts of England from you? They look like they are in good shape, as I don't expect Montenegro to win three games before playing England again.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yes we are in good shape. Though what i noticed in the Wales game is we have a tendancy to sit back when in the lead so we need to stop that. Also, great game against ghana, very exciting n you wouldnt think it was a friendly

Dademo

Reaction score
Since this past year was the really the big year I got into football I plan on watching some or many of these games if their shown on America TV, or if they are aired on TV at all, which I assume they are.

With my research of football I did this past summer and this year, I understand how big this is for serious football fans and Europeans.

When I explain what the Euro Cup is to my friends, I pretty much say it's like the world cup, but instead played between only European teams. Nontheless, that's not bad at all, and I can't wait until the Cup begins next summer.

Thanks for the updates btw BRV, if you don't mind me still calling you that.

EDIT: I haven't really picked a team to support though. I know you guys have your teams to root for but since the United States isn't in the Euro Cup obviously, I want to support a team because it's not fun if you don't.

2 Teams I'm really high on are Portugal and Germany.

My friend is portuguese and I've been everywhere with him, like at families houses, and they always watch the Primeira Liga games and I'm always tuned in. I know not all Portuguese club players are Portuguese but I was behind them in the World Cup somewhat anyways.

And I just like the German team's chemistry tbh.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Recently I have lost interest in this sort of thing, I mean England always get drawn in mostly easy groups (I know they didn't qualify for the last one, but that was mostly down to the manager), and really we learn very little new along the way. The really test is when the tournment comes around. And based on England at last year's World Cup I will take last eight place now, and hopefully some postitives in terms of younger players making their mark. I do get excited when these International Tournments come around though.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well Prod your right, England does get a bit laid back but still they are looking real good. They should make the semifinals, otherwise I see it as a disappointment. Spain, Holland, Germany, and England ( I take them slightly over France) are the class of Europe.

That's great to hear Dademo. The Euro Cup is a great tournament and you should watch it. World Cup 2006 was when I first watched it, then Euro Cup 2008 is when I can talk to people about it and not be lost. Also Euro Cup is great because games can start at 11:30 in the morning. I remember in 2008 when school was ending so we would have half days and I get out and a game was on. The best was when my mom took me out of my global final which I took the next day because if I took the global final I would have missed the first 30 minutes of the Croatia Germany game. It wasn't happening so my mom took me out and I went to the bar in Astoria with my brother to watch an epic upset. Croatia beat the Germans and I never seen a place be so rowdy and happy. So yeah Euro Cup is awesome and you should watch it. As for Portugal, they are always a team to watch out for. I do dislike them, but since my brother is marrying a Portugese girl I can't say I hate them. As for the Germans, they are so much fun to watch. Other than Croatia and Holland, their is no other team I love watching more than the Germans.

Keith I get what your saying, it's cool.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Well Dademo, I'm big on people supporting countries they have connections with. So with you, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have some Italian in you right? Italy would be a great team to follow, they are solid in defense and are improving with exciting attack play. But I definitely recommend the team you support fully is the U.S. it's your home country and you have resided there for all your life, so I reckon you should support them overall in tournaments they play in. The thrill, and the exitement of your home country winning is great.

Dademo

Reaction score
Yeah, although hyped by many Americans and some parts of the world, overall I support America in the World Cup, but it's always fun to support others teams if your main team is out.

And yeah I am Italian on my dad's side, and from my mom's side, I'm German. Portugal and Germany will probably be the two teams I'll support in the Euro Cup, but I haven't been mainly hooked onto a team in the Euro Cup (Already am on the United States). I know how sports fans are though, so it's not like I'll blow off a team I was rooting for and become a frontrunner.

And that's awesome Allen. I remember I was so into the 2006 World Cup like I was this past year, but from 06-10 I forgot about the world cup happening, so when it happened this past year I got really excited and now I got to say I'm a football fan. We had half days this early summer too, so coming home early after taking a final or a regents and then watching a World Cup game was just so sick.