Euro 2012 Qualifying Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Nice to see lot's of Americans getting into Football (soccer). If you need a chat about the games and rules let me know. I just wish American Football was easier for me to understand.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well it's about that time again with the Euro qualifiers kicking in gear starting today. I will post the tables after Tuesday when the last batch of qualifying games end before September. I will kick through it.

Group A- The big game of this group is Belgium and Turkey as both times vie for that huge 2nd place spot behind powerhouse Germany. The big story of the game is whether this is Gus Hiddink's last game coaching Turkey with rumors of him going to Chelsea flying everywhere. This is going to hurt Turkey along with the fact that their biggest playmaker Nuri Sahin who just went to Real Madrid. The game is in Belgium so I really like their momentum and I go with a one zero victory that leaves Turkey in shambles with Hiddink leaving. Belgium is currently one point ahead of Turkey. Germany plays Austria in Austria where Austria really needs a point. They are on a bad streak and it's a bad time to play Germany. Luckily it's their last time but I don't expect much out of them in a 3-1 loss to Germany. The bottom feeders are playing now in Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan with both teams trying to avoid last. I see a 1-1 tie in that one.

Group B- All of Group B's game are tomorrow. Russia, Slovakia, and Ireland are all tied for first at ten points. Russia plays Armenia who has eight points which should make an interesting contest. Russia is at home and has several players that are looking to play with their club performance not going so well this year in guys like Zhirkov, Pavylunchenko, and Arshavin. I expect Russia to get their act together after a draw at Armenia to win two zero. Macedonia is home to Ireland with Ireland hot right now coming off a Carling Cup Nations tournament win beating Northern Ireland and Scotland. I expect them to keep their momentum but it will be a struggle against a tough defense. I will see a one zero with Robbie Keane usually somehow slipping one in despite the striker's lack of pace these days. Slovakia gets the easy game with Andorra coming to play and that's an easy three zero victory for them.

Group C- The two games that take place are today for Group C. Italy plays Estonia in a game where Estonia has high implications. Estonia is shockingly only one point from 2nd place and any point here would help. I just can't see it happening as Italy will grind out a two zero victory over an annoying Estonia team. Despite no Ballotelli, Italy should have enough striking options with Cassano and Pazzani leading the way. Slovenia plays Faroe Islands in what should be an easy three points for them. I will give them an easy three zero victory over one of the weakest teams in Europe.

Group D- Both games will happen today with decent implications. France looks to gain revenge over their September upset in Belarus. Belarus is currently in 2nd but is tied with Albania so any points are critical in this game. I still think France is too powerful and will win 3-0 as they are on a mega roll with guys like Benzema and Nasri playing big roles. Bosnia was supposed to play Romania, but that's not happening due to a suspension. I have no idea if Romania is being rewarded with three points or it will happen. All I know is that Bosnian fans should feel robbed.

Group E- Both games are held today with Holland owning the group. Sweden has two games in hand and can move away from Hungary to take 2nd place as they play Moldova. I see a two zero win in that one despite no Ibrahomvic for Sweden. Finland plays San Marino in what should be an easy three points for Finland against the worst team in Europe. A four zero win is in the works for that one.

Group F- The big game for me today will be Croatia Georgia. After last March's epic fall, Croatia needs three points in any way. They will have to do it without stars such as Niko Kranjcar due to suspension and Ivan Rakitic who has a broken ankle. Still Croatia should take care of Georgia at home in 2-0 fashion with new up and coming star Ivan Persic who just went to Dortmund and for all the Ranger haters out there, you know Jelavic. I see him scoring on a header as he has been on a roll. Croatia really needs this win otherwise I expect the bar today to riot. That's the only game taking place today while the other two are tomorrow. I expect group leaders right now Greece to beat Malta 2-0 at home to keep first place while Israel to slip by Latvia one zero in what is a really close group.

Group G- Two of those games will start tomorrow with group leaders England playing Switzerland. I hope to hear some previews and post game reactions from all the England guys on the forum. England should win since they are playing at Wembley but missing many strikers such as Rooney, Defoe, and Crouch. Bent will most likely start since he has been a scoring machine this season but look for Bobby Zamora to possibly come on. This game will rely on the wings where I see guys like Ashley Young and Stuart Downing really having terrific games. I want to say three, but due to lack of striking options I will say two. England to win 2-0. Montenegro will look to keep pace as they are tied with England at the moment. They play Bulgaria, as Montenegro has been the best underdog story so far in qualifiers. They have won all their games except tying England in Wembley. I hope to see them continue to win and they will through Roma star Mirko Vucinic in a one zero win. Let's just hope he doesn't pull his pants down like last time.

Group H- The big game is tomorrow with Portugal playing group leaders Norway in Portugal. Portugal has struggled so far in qualifiers and if they don't get three points, expect the supporters to be very loud since high expectations are on Portugal. Norway has really improved and are tough to break down. I want to give Portugal the win, but they always seem prone to disappoint. Ronaldo is healthy for once and should play so I will give a two one victory for Portugal but it's going to be a very tough physical game. Denmark plays Iceland in the other game with Denmark tied with Portugal for 2nd. This is a prime opportunity for Denmark to climb to 2nd if Portugal doesn't take three points. I think Denmark will capitalize on a two one win.

Group I- There is only one game and it's today in group I with Lithuania playing Lichtenstein. Lithuania has an outside chance of coming in 2nd so they do have something to play for. I think they capitalize and win two zero.

Those are the games for next two days, I will most likely recap today's games but I am going to have a problem for Saturday. I am graduating from high school and I have big plans till Monday. I will try my best.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Here are results from Saturday as I have some time. I just graduated and I am pretty hungover after partying with my Croatians (I recommend not to go to a graduation hungover, I nearly fell asleep during a speech). Anyway here are the results from yesterday and whatever finished to right now.

Group A- Mario Gomez was the hero once again for Germany as they won 2-1 over Austria to see them in the Euro Cup 2012. Germany dominated through out the game, but an own goal made it 1-1 in the 2nd half. Eventually Gomez fired them through in the end as Phillip Lahm directed a great cross to keep Germany at maximum points. Austria is in serious trouble now as a point would have been huge for them. A highly tense contest for 2nd place happened in a draw with Belgium tying Turkey in what could be Gus Hiddink's last game. Belgium will be upset with the draw since Turkey remains only one point down from Belgium and they have one game in hand. They are in control of qualifying after Arda Turan great individual effort made it 1-1. Turan became hero to enemy in the 75th when he got caught out and was penalized in the box. Luckily for him, Axel Weitsel blasted the penalty over the bar and Turkey was relieved. The other game had Kazakhstan beating Azerbaijan 2-1 in a game of the bottom feeders.

Group B- Only one game has finished to this time and it was Russia beating Armenia 3-1. Roman Pavylunchenko scored a hat trick, as I was just wondering why couldn't he produce that magic for Spurs this season. He scored two fine goals before a penalty as Russia was tied with Armenia 1-1 at half. With that win, Russia is looking good once again after some poor performances. Other games will take place later.

Group C- Italy are on their way to Euro 2012 with an easy 3-0 win over Estonia. All three strikers for Italy as Rossi, Cassano, and Pazzani all got on the score sheet. Italy has been dominant so far in qualifying but have been aided by a weak group. We shall see how Italy competes when they get a true tough test. Slovenia beat Faroe Islands 2-0 in an easy game. With that win, they strengthen their hold on 2nd away from Serbia who had off.

Group D- France blew a chance to clinch the group as Belarus gave them problems again in a 1-1 draw. It was a physical game where France couldn't produce much magic against a rugged defense. Eric Abidal got a standing ovation before the game as it was his first game back for France after his tumor problem. He wasn't getting any cheers after twenty minutes when he diverted a cross into his own net. It only took two minutes for France to get back with Florent Malouda scored on an excellent shot in the lower corner. France struggled to create though despite the likes of Benzema, Nasri, and Ribery starting. They still hold onto first with a nice cushion. It turns out Bosnia can still play, but not friendlies. It didn't really matter because Romania blew them out three zero that seriously damages their chances at the Euro Cup. Adrian Mutu made his return and scored before two goals by Stuttgart's star Marcia. Romania gets back in the mix after that win.

Group E- The two games weren't competitive in this group. Sweden dominating Moldova to a 4-1 finish with former Bolton striker Johan Elmander scoring twice. Sweden now goes into 2nd with still one more game in hand to third place Hungary. It was a convincing performance despite not having Ibrahamovic. Finland can only score one against lowly San Marino in a one zero win with Mikael Forsell coming closer to becoming Finland's all time greatest scorer with a goal right before halftime. Finland still has little chance of qualifying.

Group F- Croatia avenged their loss from March in a two one comeback over Georgia. It seemed like it was going to be the same as March with Croatia dominating possession but couldn't score while Georgia would put nine in the back and scored on the only shot of the game. Croatia hit the post three times as Luka Modric volley struck the right post, Darijo Srna hit the left post on a free kick, and Eduardo missed a glorious chance on a free header smacking the crossbar. Without guys like Kranjcar and Rakitic, Croatia didn't have much threat to shoot from outside the box and settled on trying to press the Georgian bunker to score from close range. It took them 76 minutes to do that as Ivan Klasnic returned after two years of not playing for Croatia to set up the ball to Tomislav Dujomvic that placed a well paced pass to Wolfsburg striker Mario Manduzukic. The bar was finally going wild as I had my good friends Alex, Marco, and Tomislav with me. Then my cousin Tony came with three girls so it was a great time with beers coming out like nothing as they didn't care how old you were. Croatia went up two minutes later as Eduardo went on a Gareth Bale like run up the wing and chipped a pass over everyone to Blackburn's own Nickla Kalinic who volleyed it home for the win. It gives Croatia huge relief as Slaven Billc saved his job and Croatia is back on track to get to the Euro Cup. I went out for some dinner for a few hours but was back at the bar singing my heart out and living it up.

Group H- I fully just watched this game and it was a bit disappointing that England tied. They looked like the much better side and much more threatening. Switzerland went up two zero as Barnetta somehow scored two free kicks. The first one was top class, but the 2nd one had no business in going in as Joe Hart botched it. England fielded a questionable lineup as Ashley Young despite on excellent form was benched for James Milner, who had a fine game shockingly. Lampard scored for England after Jack Wilshere drew a penalty. England went down one at half, which led to Ashley Young coming on for Lampard. It only took him four minutes to get on the board as he leveled after a great set up from Milner. England seemed very threatening and should have won it when Darren Bent had a perfect chance on a rebound from Young's shot. Instead he blasted it over which has to make England fans question if he can start in big games. Rooney, Carroll, and soon to be England international Danny Sturridge may be better options. What do you think about the game England fans? What went wrong on the attacking side and on the set pieces.

Group I- Lichtenstein won a rare game as they upset Lithuania 2-0. This seriously does damage to their Euro Cup hopes, as Scotland and Czech Republic should be very happy.

I will try to recap the rest tomorrow as games will be playing more today. If not then Monday, but there are games still on Tuesday so still lots more action. I will be watching Portugal versus Norway with my brother and his wife's family.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
The rest of the games are finished as most teams that needed to win got the job done.

Group B- Just like Russia did, Slovakia and Ireland got much needed wins. Slovakia was highly unimpressive in a 1-0 win over Andorra where they missed several chances. This game could come back to haunt them if it comes down to goal difference. Ireland and Russia are at plus five with Slovakia being at just plus two. Ireland won two zero over Macedonia where Robbie Keane reached fifty goals with two goals in the first half. Macedonia wasted some good chances to get back into it including a penalty that hit the cross bar. Russia, Slovakia, and Ireland are all tied for first.

Group F- Greece regained there top spot over Croatia with a three one win over Malta. Greece controlled the game for the most part but shockingly scored three times which is a rarity. Greece is known for there defensive tactics but took their chances against a small Malta side. Israel kept pace with Croatia as they are tied for 2nd with a two one win over Latvia. Yossi Benayoun scored for Israel as the Chelsea man made his return after a long injury. West Ham defender Ben Haim scored on a penalty late in the first half, as Israel is now tied with Croatia but has played one more game than them which could hurt. Israel has two critical games in September with facing Greece at home and Croatia on the road. It will be interesting to see if this team can qualify for their major championship in history.

Group G- Montenegro failed to capitalize on England's earlier draw as they drew Bulgaria 1-1. It was a tough game for them, but you would expect them to win at home. Instead of being two points ahead of England, they are tied with England for first but have a inferior goal difference. Montenegro conceded for the first time all qualifying campaign in the 76th minutes. All of there wins have been one zero or a highly contested 0-0 draw to England.

Group H- Portugal versus Norway turned out to be one of the best full games I watched in a while. The game had so many chances although Portugal seemed to be most in control. Norway did have some chances to win especially late in the first half when Pepe failed to clear a cross and Raul Miereles over ran it. The ball came to Blackburn's finest Morgan Grant Pedersen as it seemed to be another classic left foot blast in the back of the net. Instead it went way over the bar and it was very poor. Portugal had their early chances with Ronaldo's classic free kick being barley saved and Brede Hangeland needing to make several last ditch clearouts before Portugal can pounce. Norway's defense was top notch through out the game, but they couldn't keep the clean sheet. Nani's perfect cross landed right to Heider Postiga's foot and it somehow just went in. Norway couldn't have marked it better, it was just Nani putting in the right spot. Portugal now moves to first place while Norway goes to third. Denmark moved into 2nd after a 2-0 win over Iceland on the road with two goals in the middle of the 2nd half.

Those are the games from yesterday, there are still a few games for Tuesday before a huge layoff till about early September with a huge batch of games will take place. After Tuesday's games, I will post the standings. The games on Tuesday are mostly easy games to choose from. Germany will take on Azerbaijan in what should a four zero win for the Germans as they are just about qualified for the Euro Cup in dominant fashion. Estonia plays in a must win game against Faroe Islands if they want to keep their qualification hopes alive. I say they do it with a two zero win. Belarus is coming off a huge draw against France and I expect them to keep pushing to keep that playoff spot. They will beat Luxembourg 2-0 at home. Albania isn't far behind them and they are close to that 2nd spot behind Belarus. They play a Bosnia team coming off an awful loss and I can't see Albania beating them on the road. Bosnia will win 2-0 with Dzeko scoring twice. Sweden will look to try to keep the 2nd spot away from Hungary and even push for 1st from Netherlands. I say they will beat Finland 2-0. Then the last game has Hungary playing San Marino in what should be a blowout for Hungary. I give them a three zero blowout.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
It wasn't much games today but I will quickly recap the action. Germany beat Azerbaijan 3-1 to become the 2nd team to officially be in the Euro Cup with Spain (Italy and Holland should have clinched but teams are coming up in their group). Ozil and Gomez scored early on before a slight scare by Azerbaijan in the 89th with a goal of their own. Eventually Andre Schurle shut the door on that with a goal in the last minute for the German victory in Group A. In Group C, a huge upset took place with Estonia knocking themselves out in qualification with a 2-0 loss to Faroe Islands. Faroe Islands isn't even much of a country but they managed to win their first game since 1995. Belarus maintained their hold on 2nd place in Group D with a 2-0 victory over Luxembourg. Both goals came in the 2nd half as Belarus' shocking run continues. Bosnia got their Euro Cup run back on track with a huge two zero win over Albania to go into 3rd in their group two points behind Belarus. They will be kicking themselves for losing badly to Romania but still have a shot at getting a playoff spot. It was a weird day in Group E but it didn't matter for Sweden. Zlatan Ibrahimović came in the 25th minute for the hurt Ola Toivonen and it turned out to be a huge difference maker. After a Kim Kalistrom screamer to open up the scoring, Zlatan had three goals in a matter of twenty three minutes in a huge 5-0 blowout of Finland. Sweden look to have gained back their great play from 2000 to 2008 as they are now just three points away from Holland for first place. It will be interesting to see where this Swedish team goes. Hungary kept close behind as they are in 3rd three points behind Sweden after beating San Marino three zero.

I will go over the standings tomorrow as I am about to head out for the Heat game. The next games aren't until September 2nd so until then I hope you enjoy your summer and catch any friendlies the team you support in plays in.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well it's almost time again. September is nearly here and the last bit of qualifiers begins Friday. A few teams are still in willing to play the young kids and see what they can do. Others look confident in qualifying and should get the job done, while others will be playing for their lives. Two games will be played for most teams in September then two for October. After that, we will have the playoff round for 8 teams that should be so exciting in November. I will go through standings in the next few days to show everyone and explain what's going on. I am so excited to see what happens, even though my current national side (Croatia) are on the downside.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well I got some time now to finally go over the current group. I will go over the games in the next few days but this is how the groups are looking like so far.

Group A
Teams P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Germany 7 7 0 0 22 3 19 21
2 Belgium 7 3 2 2 15 10 5 11
3 Turkey 6 3 1 2 9 7 2 10
4 Austria 6 2 1 3 10 10 0 7
5 Azerbaijan 6 1 0 5 5 18 -13 3
6 Kazakhstan6 1 0 5 2 15 -13 3

Well Germany as expected have breezed by this group. They are one of the top teams in Europe and have dominated play. The group's main competition will be between Turkey and Belgium for the playoff spot. Austria has an outside chance but they need to get some kind of points coming up against Germany and Turkey otherwise they will be out. Belgium blew a chance to really get themselves in a better spot for 2nd by tying Turkey at home 1-1. Now Turkey has an extra game in hand to play and should be able to grab that playoff spot. They have struggled a bit so far, but should be able to win the remaining games except Germany. That home game against Germany they need to get points in anyway otherwise they may just not make it. This should be a fun finish for this group.

Group B
1 Ireland 6 4 1 1 11 6 5 13
2 Russia 6 4 1 1 9 4 5 13
3 Slovakia 6 4 1 1 6 4 2 13
4 Armenia 6 2 2 2 10 7 3 8
5 FYROM 6 1 1 4 5 8 -3 4
6 Andorra 6 0 0 6 1 13 -12 0

This group is the most entertaining as three teams are tied for first. Despite being the team drawn out of Pot 3, Ireland has played well and is in first. But we will see if they are for real with games at Russia and home against Slovakia in the next few days. They are holding on barley to 1st as Russia is right behind them with less goals scored. They have looked very impressive qualifiers other than a slip up against Slovakia at home and tying Armenia. Russia should win this group, but I expect Ireland to get a playoff spot still. Slovakia is decent, but seem to be struggling with scoring. If they lose at home to Ireland, they are in big trouble. At least a draw is a must for them, while Armenia has an outside chance but it's not looking good for them. They need to pick up wins fast.

Group C

1 Italy 6 5 1 0 14 1 13 16
2 Slovenia 7 3 2 2 9 4 5 11
3 N Ireland 6 2 3 1 7 3 4 9
4 Serbia 6 2 2 2 8 9 -1 8
5 Estonia 7 2 1 4 7 11 -4 7
6 FIslands 8 1 1 6 5 22 -17 4

Italy has pretty much won this group as long as they don't slip up at home against Slovenia this week. A loss and Slovenia may have a shot at 1st place but it looks highly unlikely. Italy was aided by a 3-0 win over Serbia due to riots started by Serbia but they have looked good. 2nd is all up for grabs with everyone having a shot other than Faroe Island who looks finished. Slovenia is looking shaky because Northern Ireland and Serbia have a game on them. I do think the Serbs will manage to pull through in the end with their rock solid defense but it will be tough. Slovenia are no slouches and Northern Ireland seemed to have improve. Northern Ireland against Serbia could mean a lot come this weekend for the group.

Group D

1 France 6 4 1 1 9 2 7 13
2 Belarus 7 3 3 1 6 2 4 12
3 Bosnia 6 3 1 2 8 7 1 10
4 Romania 6 2 2 2 8 6 2 8
5 Albania 6 2 2 2 4 6 -2 8
6 Luxem 7 0 1 6 1 13 -12 1

This group is another group that is literally almost every team in it except Luxembourg. Belarus does have the advantage but everyone else does have a game on them. Bosnia looks most likely to take that spot especially with Dzeko firing on all cylinders. They look like the biggest threat, but I won't count out Albania or Romania. Both teams have a shot, but I am liking Bosnia's chances. France should keep a hold of first despite some slip ups. They are consistent and seem to have all their core players to full health.

Group E

P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Holland 6 6 0 0 21 5 16 18
2 Sweden 6 5 0 1 20 6 14 15
3 Hungary 7 4 0 3 18 13 5 12
4 Finland 6 2 0 4 11 11 0 6
5 Moldova 6 2 0 4 7 9 -2 6
6 San Marino7 0 0 7 0 33 -33 0

It's obvious who is the true class of the group. Holland has been dominant so far as they have been perfect. Sweden has been just as good minus the major loss at Holland. Both teams play once again and Sweden may be able to steal 1st place. Either way, I expect Sweden to make it but eventually in 2nd. Hungary is three points behind but has played already one extra game. I can't see them bouncing back and Sweden seems too consistent. It's not the most exciting of groups, but it has had plenty of cracking goals.

Group F

P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Greece 6 4 2 0 8 3 5 14
2 Croatia 6 4 1 1 10 3 7 13
3 Israel 7 4 1 2 10 7 3 13
4 Georgia 7 2 3 2 5 5 0 9
5 Latvia 6 1 1 4 5 9 -4 4
6 Malta 6 0 0 6 2 13 -11 0

This is another group that has been far from settled and has plenty of surprises. Georgia has been a tough foe for just about any team, while Croatia has underachieved. Greece leads the group, but barley as they still have plenty of tough tests left. Israel will struggle to take a spot as they have already played one more game than both Greece and Croatia. They play both teams playing well and desperately need some points to stay in contention. Georgia has an outside chance, but need to pick up wins to have any kind of shot. In the end, I do think Croatia will get their act together and win their group. As a die hard fan, I have been very disappointed in their play but they will grind it out. Greece will fall eventually due to a weak attack. Israel seems fragile and has a disadvantage with games. With Malta and Latvia still to play, Croatia will pick up easy points and then have the home field against Israel. It should be a wild finish with Croatia going to Greece to see who wins the group most likely.

Group G
P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 England 5 3 2 0 11 3 8 11
2 Montenegro 5 3 2 0 4 1 3 11
3 Switzerland 5 1 2 2 7 7 0 5
4 Bulgaria 5 1 2 2 2 6 -4 5
5 Wales 4 0 0 4 1 8 -7 0

The shocker of the Euro Cup Qualifiers so far has to be Montenegro. They came in as the biggest underdog and have rose to nearly the top. They have won most of their games 1-0 as you can say in their low scoring goals and goals allowed. They allowed their first goal last game against Bulgaria in a game where they have to be frustrated with. A win at home would have put them in first place over England. Instead they are tied but are in 2nd behind England. Montenegro still has some work to do but look good to be at least in the playoffs. Switzerland is still a threat since they don't have to play England anymore, but I doubt they can come back after such a poor spot. England remain in first despite struggling at home for most of the qualifications. I still see them coming in first and they should continue to be a powerhouse.

Group H

P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Portugal 5 3 1 1 11 7 4 10
2 Denmark 5 3 1 1 7 4 3 10
3 Norway 5 3 1 1 6 4 2 10
4 Cyprus 4 0 2 2 5 8 -3 2
5 Iceland 5 0 1 4 2 8 -6 1

Another tight group is going on with three teams fighting for first. Portugal seems to have got their game back after dominating Norway despite only winning 1-0. I expect them to win the group but it will be tough. Portugal also has Iceland and Cyprus left which is a huge bonus. The same goes for Norway which is why I give them the advantage over Denmark. Norway has improved and seems to have more talent than the past. With the easier schedule, they should squeeze into 2nd over Norway. That being said. next Tuesday's game between both teams could settle it.

Group I

P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Spain 5 5 0 0 15 5 10 15
2 Czech 5 3 0 2 6 3 3 9
3 Scotland 4 1 1 2 4 5 -1 4
4 Lithuania 5 1 1 3 3 8 -5 4
5 Liechten 5 1 0 4 3 10 -7 3

Spain easily has ran away with this group and will be headed to Poland/Ukraine next summer. It's looking good for Czech Republic despite Scotland having a game on them. As long as they get a point on Saturday, look for the Czechs to stay in 2nd. A win for Scotland gives them hope, anything but that and they are finished.

I will go through the games for Friday and Saturday coming up either tonight or tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed it.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Nice to see Czech Republic sitting 2nd.

I'll try find a stream or two to watch a few games.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Sounds good Andrew, I will go through the games now to show what games are on for Friday and Saturday ( Saturday their is only one game and it's ironically Czech Republic vs Scotland).

Group A- Turkey and Belgium both have games where they need to take care of business. Belgium will be on the road against Azerbaijan where Turkey lost in October away. Belgium can't take it as lightly as it seems, as they must get three points. I see them getting a 2-0 victory out of it. Turkey should handle business against Kazakhstan at home in dominant fashion so give them a 4-0 victory. Germany against Austria is the big game where it will be played in Germany. Austria really need some kind of points here, but I just don't see it happening. Mario Gomez is out for the game which hurts a bit but I say Germany still manages to put two in for a two zero victory.

Group B- Russia will look to take advantage of a weak opponent while the other two main competitors are playing each other. Russia faces Macedonia at home and I see a 3-1 victory out of that one. Armenia takes on Andorra in what should be an easy one for them as they keep their slim hopes alive. I give them a 2-0 victory at home. Slovakia against Ireland is the huge game that will be taken place in Ireland. I was leaning towards a draw, but I do think the Irish will pull out a one zero victory. I see Damien Duff being the hero in this one, as the winger will crack one in. Slovakia has struggled to score, while the Irish don't pass the ball very well and stick to long ball tactics. Still being home and the new talent will help get them over in a huge win.

Group C- Italy will blow out Faroe Islands in an easy game for Italy. I give it a 5-0 victory as they are likely headed to the Euro Cup. Slovenia takes on Estonia in an interesting game where Estonia needs some kind of points to stay alive. They had their upset in Serbia, but the Slovenians seemed focused. They play no nonsense football and I see them pulling out a one zero win to stay in 2nd. The other big game in the group is teams that are tied for 3rd as Northern Ireland plays Serbia. Serbia beat them 2-1 at home last time and I see the same repeating. Serbia is in the hole and they know they need to start winning every game to come in 2nd. I see them winning 2-0 on the road as their defense is finally fully healthy and look ready to make a run.

Group D- The battle for 2nd is on with Belarus and Bosnia facing each other. Belarus does have the home field, but they need a win in anyway. Bosnia has an extra game to play and if Bosnia gets any points, their chances are looking good. I do like Bosnia's chances since Edin Dzeko has been firing on all cylinders this season. He's hot right now and I see him scoring twice. I do expect Belarus to score, but it won't be enough. Bosnia will win 2-1 over Belarus to boost their chances. France faces Albania on the road which France still can't take lightly. They don't have much of a cushion in first place like some people may believe. They have too much quality to falter and I expect a 3-0 win against them to boost their chances at automatic qualification. Romania should boost their slim chances of qualifying by beating Luxembourg. I give them a 2-0 victory on the road.

Group E- Hungary has their last shot for 2nd place as it's must win time against Sweden. They have already played a game more than Sweden and are three points down. A win against Sweden would do wonders since Sweden still has to play Holland. If they beat Sweden, then Holland beats them then Hungary has a good shot for 2nd. It will be tough though because Sweden has been in great form. I want to give Sweden the win here because they are much talented but the fight of Hungary will be too much. I will give it a 2-2 tie as Sweden looks good for 2nd.

Group F- It's game time for Croatia as they should get a nice blow out victory for Croatia. It's a special occasion for me at my bar Scorpicos where I watch every qualifier. My friends from CroatianSoccerReport.com will be coming from California and will be watching the game. It's a very good chance that I will get camera time for game preview and recap. Also it's a chance that I may be able to do a personal interview of my views on soccer and other topics for another occasion. As for the game, it's must win time as Croatia needs first. I will give them a 4-0 victory over hapless Malta. Greece faces Israel in a critical game for Israel. They need some big wins coming up otherwise Israel is finished. They are home but it's going to be tough cracking that Greece defense. I only see a 0-0 draw as Israel will be in serious trouble. Lativa plays Georgia in the other game where Georgia needs a win to have a chance. With the home crowd behind them, they will pull out a 1-0 victory to have an outside chance of getting a playoff spot.

Group G- Both top teams in the group will try to keep up with each other to get the top spot. England is away in Bulgaria where they need to keep winning to stay in first from Montenegro. I expect a top performance from England with a 3-0 win for them. The Manchester boys will stay in form with Rooney scoring twice and Ashley Young scoring as well. Montenegro faces Wales in what could be an interesting trip to Wales. Wales has improved and it could be a tough road trip for Montenegro. I can't see them letting their guard down knowing a top spot is there for the taking. Wales will score once, but Montenegro will bounce back and take it 2-1 to stay close with England.

Group H- The same situation in G is with H. Both Norway and Portugal play weak opponents and need to get the job done to stay with each other. Portugal plays away to Cyprus where they will look for retribution after tying them 4-4 in Portugal last year. Portugal will be discipline and take this game 3-0 with goals from Nani, Ronaldo, and Liesdon. Norway takes on Iceland at home as they try to keep pace for first. Norway will take it 2-0 with ease.

Group I- Spain gets a break while the other four do battle. Lithuania will try to stay afloat in qualifiers as they play Lichtenstein. They should bounce back from a 2-0 loss and win 1-0 to stay in contention for playoff spot. The big game is with Scotland home to Czech Republic. Scotland needs a win in anyway to have any shot at qualifying. Through the inspiration of the home crowd, they will pull out a 2-1 win. I look for inspiring performances from Kris Commons and Kenny Miller for both goals. Scotland gets a much needed win to have a chance at qualifying.

There is the preview for this weekend's games. I will recap them sometime during the weekend along with previewing Tuesday's games. Enjoy and good luck to your team!!

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well now that the madness is over, it's time to recap.

Group A- Germany is officially in the Euro Cup as they continue their perfect run in qualifying. They beat Austria 6-2 as the game was mostly over by half with Germany up 3-0. Mesut Ozil was the star of the show with two goals and two assists. It will be interesting to see what young talent brings up as they will be looking to look for new guys to try out with meaningless games coming up. The race for 2nd took a huge bump for Belgium and glory for Turkey. Belgium blew it in Azerbaijan with a 1-1 tie as Belgium allowed a goal in the 86th. They now drop to 3rd by a point while Turkey pulled out a last minute goal against Kazakhstan in a 2-1 victory. After allowing a shocking goal in the 55th, Turkey had all the chances to win including a penalty that was blown by Arda Turan. Turkey didn't care how they won even if a deflected free kick in the last minute of injury time was the case. Turan's free kick was deflected and got Turkey into 2nd place by a point with an extra game in hand. Turkey is looking good for a playoff spot.

Group B- Russia jumped to first place with a hard fought one zero victory against pesky Macedonia. Igor Semshov scored in the 41st but Russia struggled to create much other clear chances. They will take a victory in anyway and now are looking forward to the showdown against Ireland in Moscow. Ireland lost first place after tying Slovakia in a hard fought scoreless draw. Slovakia did play better, but Ireland had some clear chances that were their for the taking. Robbie Keane missed a sitter and Ireland had to settle for a draw that can seriously hurt them for even playoff chances. Armenia put in a case for a playoff spot beating Andorra 3-0. They are three points away from 2nd and will playing for it all against Slovakia.

Group C- Italy boosted their chances for Euro 2012 with a dull 1-0 win over Faroe Islands. Italy hit the bar three times and just didn't seem like they were all into it. Italian bad boy Antonio Cassano scored on an excellent chip from Andrea Pirlo. Cassano nearly botched it but he managed to score. For an old man, Pirlo still has the command and touch in the midfield. I hope he is playing in the actual Euro Cup, he's always a pleasure to watch Serbia and Estonia boosted their chances for a playoff spot as Serbia is tied for 2nd while Estonia is in 3rd. Estonia upset Slovenia 2-1 at home, as they won it in the 81st after Slovenia scored in the 78th. Estonia has been pretty shocking so far in qualifying as they aren't the pushovers they once were. Steven Davis made a huge mistake and it may have just cost Northern Ireland qualification. His back pass went to Pantellic and he made no mistake to score. Serbia picked up a huge win on the road as they held on for a one zero win.

Group D- Albania put a tough fight at home, but France held on for the 2-1 win. With their sailor away jerseys, France jumped on Albania early with goals from Benzema and M'Vila in the first twenty minutes. France easily could have won in a blowout but Nasri and Kaboul both hit the crossbar. Albania stuck one in early 2nd half, but France got the job done and remain in 1st. Bosnia jumped into 2nd as they are finally playing up to the potential I expected. Both goals came within two minutes of each other in the 22nd and 24th minute. It could have been more as Edin Dzeko had shots well saved numerous times. Dzeko did manage to win a penalty that was converted by rising star Sejad Saholivc. Bosnia picks up a huge road win but still has plenty of work to do to keep 2nd. Romania keeps their hopes alive in a 2-0 win against Luxembourg. They are just two points away from 2nd and similar to Bosnia are looking like a major threat. The underdog story of Belarus seems to be fading since they have played one more games than both Romania and Bosnia so far.

Group E- Hungary picked up the huge win they needed as they beat Sweden 2-1. Sweden looked more threatening the entire game including Ibrahimovic hitting the post early and constant close chances throughout the game for Sweden. Yet they were still down 1-0, until Williamson scored in an open net off a rebound. But Hungary weren't denied as Gregly Rudolf scored in injury time from distance as Hungary is now tied with Sweden for a playoff spot. It's still going to be hard for Hungary despite Sweden having to play Holland still. Sweden's goal difference is still far superior to Hungary, but this does give them hope. The other game was no competition as Holland beat San Marino 11-0. Huntelaar and Snejider each scored twice, but Robin Van Persie scored four times in an absolute blowout for Holland.

Group F- Greece picked up a huge three points beating Israel one zero in Israel. Sotiris Ninis scored on a nice individual effort that the Israel goalie had no shot of saving. Greece remains in first place by a point over Croatia, while Israel now are on the brink of elimination. A loss to Croatia on Tuesday in Zagreb and they are finished. Croatia had several players injured and rest a few stars but they handled their business in Malta 3-1. It was a great atmosphere at the bar and I will post a link soon of my interview through out the game. I got lots of camera time and it was a blast. Vukojevic who has been under heavy criticism for Croatia for the past year for not being a very good holding midfielder actually scored. I needed to clean my glasses to make sure it really happened. Dinamo Zagreb stud Milan Badelj made his first start ever for injured Luka Modric and scored on a nice dummy by Mario Manduzkic. Croatia started to do what they usually do and start floundering back. Dejan Lovern forgot his man which led to Malta sneaking in a goal. Croatia wasted several chances as their strikers were poor the entire game with Blackburn Rovers reject Nickola Kalinic miss two great chances. Croatia eventually got the 3rd when Badelj put in an excellent cross that Lovern headed in, as the centerback just got it in. Croatia can clinch at least a playoff spot with a win against Israel. Latvia knocked out Georgia with a 1-0 upset in Georgia.

Group G- The race for first place really changed yesterday with Montenegro faltering. Montenegro were upset by Wales who looked very dangerous and very lively. Gareth Bale regained his top form he has been missing for so long and really took it to Montenegro the entire game. Steve Morison scored the first goal off a botch by the goalie, but Bale's cross to Aaron Ramsey for the 2nd was well put. He wasn't contained at all and made a huge difference. Florienta star Stevan Joketic scored in the 71st minute and Montenegro looked threatening after stumbling all game but couldn't get that 2nd goal. They know are three points behind England who took care of business away from home like they have all qualifying. Gary Cahill opened the scoring as he continues to show why he should start for England. Wayne Rooney continued his magnificent form and scored twice before the half. Ashley Young and Theo Walcott were threats all game, as England is looking prime to take control of the group.

Group H- In the win category it may not seem a lot, but things did change in the group. Portugal's blowout win over Cyprus gave them a nice cushion while Norway's one zero win over Iceland didn't help them with tie breakers. After only being one zero through a Ronaldo penalty, Portugal blitzed Cyprus in the last ten minutes of the game. Almeida, Ronaldo, and Danny all scored and really gave Portugal a nice edge now. Nani was a constant threat all game long, as Portugal seems to be getting their groove back. It took 88 minutes, but finally through penalty Norway got that goal to keep them tied with Portugal. Mohammed Abdellaoue penalty gave them the victory that they so desperately needed, because a tie would be deadly for their chances to hold a playoff spot from Denmark.

Group I- Scotland's chances of qualifying look very slim now after coughing away a late lead at home against the Czech Republic. Kenny Miller scored right before halftime and Scotland seemed to have controlled the game for the most part. But in the 79th minute, the Czechs broke though with Plasil scoring on a well struck shot. The Scots didn't back off though and it was Miller again involved with the goal as he set up the assist to Darren Fletcher who knocked it in home to set Hampden Park on fire. But Scotland just couldn't get the three points, as Danny Wilson gave up a penalty in which Kadlec scored for the Czechs in injury time. Scotland remain five points away from a playoff spot as they tied 2-2. The other game that happened was Lithuania vs Lichtenstein that ended in a scoreless draw as both teams look completely out of it at this point.

So those are the game recaps, I will preview Tuesday's game tomorrow.

Last edited:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This is the preview for Tuesday's games. I am not going to lie I do this on three separate blog sites. I got my football (not American) site where I blog at and do this. Also got my American football site but they also have plenty of soccer fans. So I do make this for other sites because it's just easier. Anyway here's Tuesdays games. After this they take a break till October 7th for the last series of qualifiers.

Group A- The big game in the group will be in Austria where Turkey looks to get breathing space to keep their playoff spot. Turkey is coming off a last ditch win against Kazakhstan. Austria is playing for their lives as a win here would keep their small hopes for a playoff spot alive. They are going to play with everything on the line which boosts their chances for me. Turkey also has been very poor on the road so far in qualifiers, so Austria has a good shot despite coming off a 6-2 loss against Germany. I think it will be an interesting but in the end I see a 2-2 tie that just keeps Turkey in 2nd while Austria is finished. Kazakhstan plays Azerbaijan in a meaningless game where whoever wins won't come in last. A 1-1 tie seems just about right for both teams.

Group B- One of the biggest games for Tuesday will be in Moscow where 1st place Russia takes on Ireland who is two points away from first. Ireland is coming off a tough draw at home to Slovakia and are in serious trouble. The defense is looking shaky with John O'Shea out with an injury and Sean St.Ledger being suspended. Top striker Shane Long is also injured, as Ireland seems to be lagging. Russia didn't play very well against Macedonia but still have looked good. Ireland seems really beat up and they just don't seem like they can match the creativity Russia plays with. We saw it when Russia went up 3-0 on them last October. Two fluke goals by Ireland and a few good missed chances by Russia made it seem like a competitive 3-2 win for Russia. I see Russia dominating this game and really controlling the pace. I see a 2-0 win for Russia with Arshavin and Kerzahov scoring. A win would seriously boost their chances for an automatic spot for Euro 2012. Another interesting game is in Slovakia with Slovakia having a golden opportunity at getting 2nd from Ireland. Another thing that can happen which is crazy is Armenia can get 2nd as well with a win. Armenia is three points away from 2nd and if they can do what they did at home against Slovakia with a 3-1 they may just take over that playoff spot. Their goal difference is better than Slovakia and Ireland so if Ireland were to lose they would go in 2nd if they win. But Slovakia is talented in their own right and they have that brick wall defense despite a botch or two last game. I can't see Armenia coming out of this with three points, well not even any. Slovakia will pull out a 1-0 with Miroslav Stoch being the star man with a goal to put Slovakia in prime position for a playoff spot. Macedonia plays Andorra in a game in whoever wins doesn't come in last. Macedonia should take that two zero.

Group C- Italy plays Slovenia in a game where Slovenia must get at least a point. Following a shocking loss at home to Estonia, they have played more games than Serbia and Northern Ireland in their group. That could seriously cost them for a playoff spot if they don't pick up at least a point here. Italy isn't coming off a very good win following a one zero at Faroe Islands. I look for them to be much focused at home and to take care of business. Italy should win 2-0 with goals from Rossi and Cassano to keep rolling in qualifiers. Estonia plays Northern Ireland in a game of whoever loses is likely eliminated. Estonia has been a nice surprise in qualifiers of being the underdog in contention. Northern Ireland has been inconsistent for the most part. Estonia is home for this one and I can see them sneaking another victory here at home. I say 1-0 win for them as they have the momentum and are playing with inspiration. Serbia has a golden opportunity to get 2nd as they play Faroe Islands. They are in prime position to get to 2nd despite the tough start to qualifying. I can see a 3-0 victory for the Serbs here which leads to them over taking Slovenia with one more game to play than them.

Group D- Group D remains very competitive including a rematch from Friday. Belarus will get another go at Bosnia as they play each other again in Bosnia this time. A loss here would destroy Belarus chances of qualifying as they are behind a point in the table and have played one more game. Bosnia has been on a roll lately and at home I can't see that stopping. They know a win here would really boost their chances to 2nd getting away from Belarus. I got a 3-0 victory for them here ending Belarus fairy tale run. Another big game is in Romania where they are fighting for their playoff lives against France. France is coming off a hard fought win in Albania but aren't happy with the small victory. A win here would get them away from the pack and that's what France will do here. I have them winning 2-0 here with both goals from Benzema who is becoming a major goal scoring machine all across Europe. Albania plays Luxembourg where Albania needs a win to stay alive. They are at home and I think they keep their slim hopes alive in a 2-0 victory at home.

Group E- All three top teams in the group play the weakest teams as they look to stay alive. Holland can clinch an official spot in Euro 2012 with a win at Finland. They are coming off hitting double digits against San Marino and should have no problem against Finland. I see a 4-0 win with goals from Van Persie who will have 2, Snejider, and Elia. Sweden will look to keep hold of 2nd from Hungary as they play San Marino. That should be an easy 5-0 win for them, as San Marino brings no threat. Hungary will make sure they have no slip ups in Moldova. Hungary may get caught out a bit after such a huge win at home against Sweden but they should hold on for a two one victory to keep pace for 2nd.

Group F- The big game in this group will be Croatia against Israel in Zagreb. Israel needs a win to stay alive otherwise they are out of the running to get a playoff spot. A win for Croatia at least gives them a playoff spot. It should be an intense game with Croatia trying to stay on pace with Greece before their game in Athens October 7th. Croatia will be getting their top two players back after both missed the Malta game in Luka Modric and Niko Kranjcar. It should be a free flowing game with plenty of chances. It's really tough to win in Zagreb as it's only been done three times since 1994 when Croatia became a team. I can't see them losing, as I will be at my usual bar spot going crazy. Croatia wins 3-1 with two goals from Jelavic in a breakout game for him and Modric will finally get on the board. Greece plays Latvia as they try to keep a hold of first. The game is in Latvia which may cause some problems but Greece seems focused and I can't see them faltering. I will give them a 2-0 victory in a critical game for them. Georgia plays Malta in a game with no meaning with both teams out. Georgia should pick up a 2-0 victory either way.

Group G- England can break away even more from Montenegro as they play Wales at Wembley while Montenegro has off. Wales can't be taken lightly after their shocking upset against Montenegro. With the rivalry still there, it should be intense like usual. I can see Wales somehow scoring in this one because of a slip up but England has way too much fire power. England wins 4-1 here with two goals from Rooney, along with goals from Walcott and Lampard who will come off the bench and show he still has something. Wales will cause a stir being down 2-0 with Bellamy sliding one in off a Bale cross. The other game is Switzerland against Montenegro where Switzerland is in must win mode. Anything but a win makes them out of a playoff spot. At home against a Bulgaria team, they should get the job done with a 2-0 victory.

Group H- The big game in this group will be in Denmark where Denmark meets Norway. Denmark does have a game on them but a win here would really boost their chances of getting a playoff spot. Norway needs to make sure they get a point at least knowing they don't have many games left to get points. This game seems like a stalemate and a midfield struggle. I see a 0-0 draw in this one. Cyprus plays Iceland for who won't be in last place. Cyprus plays some exciting football at times so I will give them a 2-1 victory.

Group I- Spain plays Lichtenstein where Spain can officially qualify for the Euro Cup. It should be a easy one for them as they should take it 4-0. Villa should score twice and I will give Fabergas a brace as well. Scotland plays Lithuania in a must win game for Scotland. They blew it in a big way Saturday at home against the Czechs but are at home again. I think they finally hold on in this one despite losing star man Charlie Adam due to injury. Kenny Miller stays in good form and scores for the 1-0 win to keep Scotland's slim hopes alive.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I just realized I forgot to report about last month's games. I do apologize since things have been hectic and wild. I will catch you up with the standings right now. I am not going to do full standings because that's a waste since it's only two games left. Many teams have been eliminated so right now I will just go into who qualified and who is still in the running to qualify. I will preview games sometime next week. Friday the 7th and Tuesday the 11th are the last days of qualifying. After this, we will have the playoff games in November for all the 2nd place teams. One new bonus is that the team with the most points out of all the 2nd place teams gets an automatic qualifier. The rule is that you have to exclude your record against the last place team to even things out for the smaller groups. So this rule boosts the chances of the smaller groups to grab that bid for 2nd place. If you want the full statistical standings, go to any major soccer/football site.

Group A- Germany is already in for first place and have been dominant. The playoff spot comes down to Turkey and Belgium in this group. Both teams still have to play Germany, so it will come down who can get a point from them. Turkey has two points on Belgium but it's still too close to call. Belgium still has a shot at this, but unlike Turkey they have to travel to Germany. Turkey has the edge, but in tie breakers Belgium has a two goal advantage.

Group B- This group is one of the most competitive with four teams still in contention. Russia remains two points ahead of Ireland and three ahead of Armenia & Slovakia. This group is still up for grabs with huge games coming up between Russia and Slovakia along with Ireland against Armenia. It's really going to come down to the wire with all four teams having a shot. Ireland has really good odds with Andorra away and Armenia at home. Slovakia is in must win situation with Russia at home. A draw or loss will virtually destroy their chances since both Ireland and Armenia are playing weak teams on Friday.

Group C- Italy has automatically qualified in dominant fashion. Every team can still qualify in this group except Faroe Islands. Despite having to play Italy still, Serbia looks most likely to come in 2nd with their confidence rebuilding after a shaky start to qualifying. They are a point ahead of Estonia, but Estonia has only one game to play. Slovenia also has only one game left to play as they are three points behind Serbia. With that extra game, Serbia looks highly likely to come in 2nd. Northern Ireland is five points out but it will take a miracle for them to come in 2nd.

Group D- This is another tight group with Bosnia really playing strong as of late, while France is slipping a little bit. France is only a point ahead of Bosnia with two games left to play. They both play each other on the 11th so it could come down to that game if both teams continue their pace. Romania and Belarus remain in contention with both teams four points out of 2nd. Belarus looks done with only one game left to play, so it will most likely come down to if Romania can take care of Belarus and hope for some help with France against Bosnia.

Group E- This group looks just about over. Holland has already qualified with their undefeated streak. Sweden and Hungary are the only teams battling for 2nd place. Sweden has two games to play while Hungary has just one. Sweden does have to play Holland, so Hungary may have some luck on their side. Still Sweden's goal difference is superior to Hungary and basically a draw gets Sweden into a playoff spot.

Group F- I am happy to say Croatia controls their own destiny as they are in first place. After dominating Israel at home knocking them out, they can qualify Friday with a win in Athens against Greece. A draw with Greece still puts them in good shape needing just to beat Latvia at home to qualify. Greece is a point behind Croatia but they know it's must win time. Both teams are in the top two no matter what, but it should be interesting to see where they end up. October 7th is going to be a good one, hopefully I will be partying it up that night.

Group G- England looks primed for first as one point in the next game will get them in automatically. They do only have one more game left so any points against Montenegro will be huge. Montenegro has been struggling lately and are clinging on to 2nd. Switzerland is right behind them three points out. They have an outside chance of a playoffs spot, if they take care of Wales while Montenegro ties or loses to Wales. Switzerland then will play Montenegro for a playoff spot on the line possibly. Montenegro is under new management with the shocking sack of Zaltko Kranjcar, but still look primed for a playoff spot.

Group H- This group remains super tight with Norway, Denmark, and Portugal all tied for 1st at 13 points. Portugal and Denmark look likely to qualify since they play one extra game than Norway. Also their goal difference is much better than Norway. Portugal edges Denmark by three goals, but anything can happen in that group. Things can drastically in an instant although it will go down to the wire. Both Portugal and Demark play weak teams on the 7th.

Group I- Spain has already qualified for the Euro Cup after going undefeated in their group. Czech Republic looks primed for 2nd place even though their only two points ahead of Scotland. Both teams still have to play Spain, but Scotland has to travel to Spain. The Czechs also have a better goal difference so it looks likely that the Czechs will qualify.

AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED SO FAR: Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy

Standings For Automatic Bid for best 2nd place team: Right now the team that would qualify would be Denmark which shocks me. They are at thirteen points and have a better goal difference than Bosnia who is tied for 1st with 13. Sweden, Ireland, and Greece are also in 2nd by one point. It's going to be really tight to the end, but whoever makes it in will be very thankful not to go through the stressful playoff rounds.

Around next week, I will go through the games that mean something!! Only qualification purposes as we finally have reached the end.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Friday's Games are finally coming up. This is the last batch of qualifiers. Only games that matter will be spoken about.

Group A- Germany plays Turkey in a huge matchup for the Turks. A win would surely get them into the playoff spot they want so bad, while even a tie would do them good. They need to avoid to lose to a German team that is already qualified but still motivated. Low wants Germany to end undefeated so Turkey better be ready to play all out. Belgium plays Kazakhstan in a must win game before they head to play Germany Tuesday. If they don't win here, they will be hard pressed to make into a playoff spot. I have Turkey getting a point in a 1-1 draw against Germany while Belgium beats Kazakhstan 2-0. Both teams will be tied for 2nd going into the last day if that happens with Belgium ahead due to goal difference.

Group B- All three games have meaning in this one as this group is up for grabs. Armenia and Ireland have must win games against easy opponents while Russia and Slovakia do battle in Slovakia. Slovakia is in must win mode due to Armenia and Ireland likely getting three points. With those teams playing each other Tuesday, it's unlikely that Slovakia gets in if they are three points behind. The goal difference for them is at minus 2 after the beating Armenia gave them last month. Russia looks to keep a hold of first place as a win is very essential. A draw may not be enough to keep first place especially since Ireland is at 15 points and can leap ahead of them in goal difference. They play Andorra as they are likely to win in blowout fashion away from home. Armenia plays Macedonia in a must win game for them as they are in 14 points. With a trip to Dublin on Tuesday, they need to keep pace with Ireland. One thing that favors Armenia is their goal difference is at 10 and they have no expectations. This is a team that has come out of nowhere and can instantly shock the world. It's very tight right now and I have a feeling Armenia will be breathing down Russia's necks in 2nd. Russia will draw Slovakia away 1-1 as Slovakia will be playing all out. Ireland will take out Andorra 3-0 in an easy win. Macedonia will be tough for Armenia but they will scrape out a 2-0 victory at home. Ireland takes over first going into Tuesday.

Group C- The two games playing have implications. Serbia plays Italy in the big game in this group in Belgrade. Italy has already qualified and seems to be bringing up new players to try out. Serbia is in must win mode if they want a playoff spot. They are home and they seem to be playing better as of late. Estonia has been the surprise team and need a win here away in Northern Ireland. Estonia is a point behind Serbia for the playoff spot while Slovenia has to wait till Tuesday to try to qualify. They could be knocked out on the spot if Serbia wins. I see that happening as Serbia sneaks a 1-0 win at home over a different Italy team. Italy doesn't have the same intentions as Germany to go undefeated. Estonia will stutter here as their underdog story stutters a bit. They draw 1-1 to Northern Ireland as they will be eliminated from playoff contention.

Group D- It's down to three teams in this group but all 3 games have meaning. France plays Albania as they try to hold on to first place. Bosnia tries to keep pace for 1st place as they are home to Luxembourg. Romania has a slim chance for a playoff spot as they are home to Belarus. France is beaten up with Ribery and Benzema both out for qualifiers. Bosnia is red hot in qualifiers and look prime to be a serious threat to France. Romania is just hoping for some help as they are four points behind Bosnia. All three teams will handle business Friday, as they all seem too focused to slip now. France will take care of a stubborn Albania team 2-0. Bosnia will continue to go crazy with a 4-0 win over Luxembourg headed to a showdown in Paris against France for first. That win for Bosnia will eliminate Romania who will beat Belarus 2-1.

Group E- Netherlands has qualified for Euro 2012 and play Moldova who is already eliminated so that is irrelevant. Sweden plays Finland in a game where Sweden will like to get away from Hungary. With a superior goal difference from Hungary, all Sweden has to do is take care of business away against their rivals. I see Finland giving them some problems, but in the end I expect Sweden to prevail 2-1 to boost their chances at a playoff spot.

Group F- The big game in this group and it's only one is in Athens for Croatia Greece. This game will be high emotion as a win for Croatia gets him automatic qualification. A tie does Croatia very well too as all they need to do is beat Latvia at home Tuesday in Zagreb. Greece has to play for the win or they will have to stick with a playoff spot. This game is going to be intense with Greece not being able to defend with their usual eight in the back. They will have to attack which is rare for them. They live off the counter then go but that will be tough against a skilled Croatia team. Croatia has been playing with confidence and I can't see them losing here. I say they pull out a win that will have me partying for the entire night. I have been saying his name for almost every game yet he can't seem to score. Croatia will break the Greece defense down with a Nickla Jelavic header. I got that feeling it will finally happen. As long as Croatia doesn't lose, I will be very happy and feel safe about a spot in the Euro 2012.

Group G- The huge game will be in Montenegro with England coming to town. Montenegro has struggled as of late with the bottom teams and find them barley holding on to 2nd. England just needs a point to automatically qualify for Euro 2012. With their array of talent and great away from home record, it will be a tough test for Montenegro. They controversially sacked Zlatko Kranjcar which was a very strange move after he has done so well for them. They seem shaky right now and I can't trust them. England will win 2-0 and crack the tough defense. I expect Rooney to make his return with a goal and I see Theo Walcott using his blistering speed to be a massive problem so I can see him scoring. Switzerland has a chance to be tied for 2nd with Montenegro if they beat Wales. Wales are playing great lately and are home for this one. Switzerland will have a golden opportunity but I just see Wales being too much. They are healthy and seem to be playing more inspired football. I see a 1-1 draw which leads to must win for Switzerland headed for Tuesday's showdown with Montenegro.

Group H- Portugal and Denmark are in the drivers seat as they play weak opponents while Norway doesn't have a game. Portugal is currently in first, while Denmark leads all the 2nd place teams in most points. Both teams expect to qualify as they should go up to 16 points and have better goal differences than Norway. Portugal is at home to Iceland and I expect a comfortable 3-0 victory out of them. Denmark is at Cyprus which should prove little trouble. I see a 2-0 win over there to keep a tight hold on that top spot out of 2nd place teams. The only hope for Norway at this point is when Denmark and Portugal play each other that one of them blowout someone so bad that Norway could sneak in. Of course that is if both teams get the job done on Friday.

Group I- A huge game in Czech Republic, as they take on Spain at home. Spain has already qualified but still possess so much talent. The Czechs need at least a point here to keep hold to a playoff spot. Even against a Spain side just playing around, I still don't think the Czechs have enough here. I say Spain wins 2-0 here to keep their undefeated streak alive. This opens the door for Scotland as they play Lichtenstein away. Scotland will see it's the perfect time to get that playoff spot being two points away from the Czechs. I see a 2-0 win despite several players injured with goals from Kenny Miller and Charlie Adam. Scotland will be one point ahead, but still face a tough task to come in 2nd. They have to go to Spain still while the Czechs play away against Lithuania.

So that's for Friday's games. The madness is just about to end of qualifiers. Hopefully the table is more clear soon enough and we get more teams with automatic berths.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well yesterday was very hectic and ended in serious doubt for some. Others are now on the cusp of qualifying. After digesting the loss to Greece, it's obvious Croatia is on the downside. I just want to qualify so I have a reason to go all out for Euro 2012. Here is the breakdown of the meaningful games.

Group A- Even with nothing to play for, Germany still is too much. Turkey needed at least a point here yet Germany was too much for them in a 3-1 win. Gomez and Muller proved to be too much with goals of their own as Germany continued it's dominance in qualifier. Turkey did cause some drama at the end with a goal from an unlikely source in Hakan Balta. But it all ended when Muller got fouled in the box in the 86th minute and Schwestiger scored on a penalty. Belgium has now taken control of 2nd with a 4-1 over Kazakhstan. It was the complete performance they were looking for all through qualifying. It took 40 minutes but finally off a penalty Timmy Simons scored. Then two of the top players for Belgium scored in wonder kid Edin Hazard and Man City stud centerback Vincent Kompany. Belgium now goes ahead of Turkey by a point, but know they need to win against Germany somehow in Germany to get a playoff spot. Turkey will be playing Azerbaijan which is a likely three points. Even a tie would mean the end for Belgium since they be down a point against Turkey. It goes down to the final day in this group.

Group B- Another team has dropped from qualification chances as Slovakia is out after the 1-0 loss to Russia. It was a tough game but Russia playing their solid football got the goal they needed. Alan Dzagoev scored from 25 yards out to assure Russia that they will likely be in Euro 2012 by automatically qualifying. All they need is a draw against Andorra and they are in. I really do like Russia as a sleeper team going into Euro 2012. They are very professional and rarely make poor mistakes defensively. This is a team that I have my eye on going forward. Ireland boosted their chances for a playoff spot after a 2-0 win at Andorra. It wasn't pretty but goals from Kevin Doyle and Aiden McGeady assured Ireland that they only need a point to get a playoff spot on Tuesday in the showdown with Armenia. Armenia has kept pace though and the underdog story has lived on for now. They beat Macedonia 4-1 in easy fashion. It would be amazing if a nation like Armenia would get a playoff spot. They do need to win in Dublin but they sure have all the confidence in the world to do it.

Group C- Serbia got a much needed point at home against Italy yesterday. It was a hostile game with Serbian fans once again being very rowdy. Last October, the game was called off due to Serbians being very violent and destroying the pitch. It lead to Serbia losing 3-0 and being in a major hole. The fans held it together and Serbia battled through a physical game. Italy scored first with a goal from Claudio Marchiso. It was a nice goal as it caught Serbia completely off guard. It didn't last long though as Chelsea's own Branislav Ivanovic scored on a deflected goal as it was a mix up in the box. It was well deserved and Serbia got a much needed point. They do drop to 3rd after Estonia's fairy tale run continued beating Northern Ireland 2-1. Now Estonia is a point above Serbia but they don't have any more games to play. It comes down to Serbia against Slovenia (who has just been eliminated). Serbia needs to win otherwise Estonia goes into the playoff round. Another last day ending to an exciting group.

Group D- Bosnia and France both continue their great run. Bosnia stayed within a point of them after a 5-0 win against Luxembourg. Everyone got in with the goals including top guys like Dzeko, Pjanic, and Mislimovic. They are red hot right now and will be going to Tuesday's game with France with so much confidence. France got the job done at home against Albania winning 3-0. Malouda, Remy, and Reverelle all scored for France as they got their scoring back in tact. France only needs a point to automatically qualify for Euro 2012 on Tuesday at home against Bosnia. That will be an absolute showdown and I look forward to watching it. Both teams assure themselves of playoff round though after Romania eliminated themselves by tying Belarus 2-2. Mutu scored twice for Romania, but late cracks in the defense cost them dearly.

Group E- Holland tried some new guys and didn't go on their usual goal scoring tear like they usually do. They only beat Moldova 1-0 after a goal from goal scoring leader Klass Jan Huntelaar. He has 11 goals in qualifying as he has been on an absolute tear. They have been terrific all qualifying and are in. Sweden won a must win game at Finland as they now pretty much assure themselves of 2nd place minus a major blowout in Holland on Tuesday. Sebastian Larrsson continued his fine form with a goal to his tally. Then Martin Olsson scored on a major mix up in the box for Finland. Finland scored in the 73rd to cause some late game controversy but Sweden held on for a huge win and now find themselves likely in the playoff stage.

Group F- Greece won in the showdown in Athens with a 2-0 over Croatia. It was a very dull first half with the highlight of fans getting rowdy and throwing flares. The game was delayed by eight minutes and it seemed like one of those nights. Croatia lacked their cutting edge and once again it came down to Slaven Billc's poor tactics. Greece eventually pounced on their usual set piece tactics. Gorigio Samaras scored on an unmarked boot that Croatia clearly lost track of on a rebound of a corner. It was the start of the collapse. Then the corner happened again with Gekas scoring unmarked on a header. It was an awful display by Croatia and it seriously makes you wonder how is this nation ranked in the top ten in Fifa. Billc has now been questioned and possibly sacked headed into Tuesday's game home against Latvia. Greece really weren't that good at all, they had several guys booked and weren't very dangerous. It's simply having more energy and more of a cutting edge. Greece needs only a tie in Georgia to go through. But if they were to lose and Croatia beats Latvia, then in some awful way Croatia would get automatic qualification. I highly doubt with what is all on the line that Georgia would somehow win.

Group G- Well this group has officially ended today which is a shock for the crazy qualifiers. England automatically qualified after a 2-2 tie in Montenegro. Ashley Young continued his fine form for England with another terrific goal for them. Darren Bent added more with a goal of his own thanks to Rooney's terrific pass. Zverotić started the rally for Montenegro as his deflected shot wrong footed Joe Hart as the rally was on. Things got worse for England, as Wayne Rooney got a harsh red card. This hurts England dearly as he could be suspended for up to two games in the actual Euro Cup. It was very immature of Rooney to do something as he still hasn't grown up. But it was a very harsh decision to say the least. Montenegro booked their spot for a playoff berth when Man City new boy Stefan Stivic sent a great ball in that Andrija Delibašić headed in to send the country to their first ever playoff round. They can thank Wales for helping them get in as they continued their fine form with a 2-0 win over Switzerland. Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey both continued their fine form with goals as Switzerland has been officially eliminated. England will be headed to Euro 2012 while Montenegro has put themselves in the playoff round. No meaningful games will be played Tuesday.

Group H- This group had fireworks in both games with goals pouring everywhere. Portugal won 5-3 to stay in first by goal difference. They have to be concerned with their leaky defense as they conceded three times to a poor Iceland team. It was a team effort by Portugal as four different players scored with Nani scoring twice. Iceland fought hard but in the end Portugal just held on. They will play Denmark for first place Tuesday as Denmark continued their winning form with a 4-1 win over Cyprus. All four of their goals were scored within the first 25 minutes of action. Barring a blowout, both teams should be going through. Norway has to score at least three and Denmark or Portugal would have to lose by two or more for Norway to get a playoff berth. It looks like Portugal and Denmark will qualify as Denmark remains in first place in the best 2nd place team race that I will go over soon.

Group I- With Spain already in the Euro Cup, they gave a chance to more different guys. They didn't fail as they won 2-0 in Czech Republic. Juan Mata showed what he can bring to Spain with a fine game scoring in the 7th minute. He's a threat whenever he plays and should be given more chances to play. Xabi Alonso scored in the 23rd after great work from Torres and Silva to get him free the goal. Czechs played a man down most of the 2nd half and now find themselves in trouble. Scotland plays today against Lichtenstein today and should get three points. With that happening, Czechs must win at Lithuania to get a playoff spot since it's highly unlikely Scotland gets any points against Spain on Tuesday.

I will edit this post after the Scotland game but that's it for now. Tuesday is the last day for qualifiers and then Thursday is the draw for the playoff games for the eight remaining teams. This is the list of teams that can still get automatic qualification through 2nd place.

Denmark leads with 16 points. The rest of the teams with a chance have to be within 3 points. Sweden is at 15, Croatia is at 13, along with Bosnia at 13. All those teams have a chance for automatic qualification as a 2nd place team. Bosnia is highly unlikely since if they win they would be in 1st. Estonia is at 13 but they have no more games to play and Serbia seems like the likely team to take their spot if they beat Slovenia. Croatia has a decent chance if Sweden loses to Netherlands and Denmark loses to Portugal. Croatia would have to beat Latvia by a good amount of goals, which could happen but I have little faith these days. Monday I will preview the games for Tuesday. Enjoy!!

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well it's the last day. It's judgement day to see who will be automatically qualifying and who will be getting the playoff spots. Also who will be just be missing the cut as well. Thursday we will find out who will be playing in the playoffs between the eight survivors. Your recap of games will happen either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning (AMERICAN TIME!!)

Group A- Germany is already in but still plays a huge role here. They want to finish undefeated and play Belgium. Belgium picked up a huge win Friday, but their chances aren't looking good. A tie will likely eliminate them along with a loss. They need to somehow pick up a win against a very motivated Germany. If I were Belgium, I pay Germany off it's the best way I can think of them winning. I see Turkey coming in 2nd as they will take care of business against Azerbaijan. It's a tall mountain for Belgium to climb but sadly they will just fall in the end 2-1. Turkey will take care of business 3-0 to get to the playoff stage.

Group B- Russia will take this group as all they need is a draw in Andorra. With the way they have played, they have looked very good and should have no problem. I see a 4-0 win for them and will be back in the Euro Cup. The big game will be in Dublin to see who comes in 2nd. Ireland plays underdog Armenia in an interesting game. It's shocking that Armenia has risen after years of being irrelevant. They are hot and Ireland can't doubt them. This is a showdown here but Ireland do have advantages. They are home and only need a draw, which should really help. Robbie Keane will be out for this game which does hurt. Armenia has been a fun team to watch but I just can't see them winning here. They will score to make things interesting in the end but I see a 1-1 draw here. Ireland to get the playoff spot. I will be catching this game at an Irish bar so I will give full detail analysis.

Group C- Italy already has qualified for Euro 2012. The showdown in Slovenia will take place as Slovenia has a chance to play spoiler as they play Serbia. Serbia needs a win here to get a playoff spot as Estonia is a point ahead of them in 2nd. Estonia has the tie breaker on them so the pressure will be for Serbia to win. Estonia has already played ten games so they will be praying is their underdog run just enough. I sadly don't see a motivated Serbian side choking here. A 1-0 win for them to get that playoff spot.

Group D- Well the group has been settled with Bosnia and France both in the top two. The question is who will be coming in first? Bosnia has been very hot and are one point away from France. The game is in France where the injured side will be happy with just a win. I do think with the quality they possess should get the job done. They are beat up but a 2-1 win looks likely for me. Bosnia plays with a lot of fire and precision but they haven't been challenged in a while by such a dangerous team. France to go through while Bosnia heads to playoffs.

Group E- Holland and Sweden are already in. Holland will be going automatically while Sweden has a good shot for automatic bid for best 2nd place team. They do need at least a draw against Holland to have a shot at automatic qualification for 2nd.

Group F- Greece and Croatia are already locked in the top two spots. Greece only needs a draw at Georgia to get automatic qualification after a critical win against Croatia at home. Greece will have a tough time in Georgia but a tie should happen. I see a 1-1 finish to get the Greeks back in the Euros. I will not be watching the Croatia game as I am currently very disgusted by them and want to see a game that actually will be competitive. Croatia will win 3-0 against Latvia and has an outsider's chance of qualifying. But I expect Sweden to get points so no way they get automatic qualification for 2nd.

Group G- England is headed for the Euro Cup as they came in 1st. Montenegro clinched a playoff spot as well.

Group H- A very interesting group as Portugal and Denmark play for first. Unless it's a blowout, I don't see Norway taking a playoff spot. The goal difference just seems to be too big for them. Denmark is home for the showdown and seem much more balanced than Portugal. Portugal's back four seems to be very troublesome without Ricardo Carvahlo as he is suspended for a year after his actions. I see Denmark playing very safe but also smart. Portugal won't keep a clean sheet and I have a tough time believing they can crack open the Denmark defense. I smell an upset here as Denmark will get automatic qualification with a 2-0 win at home. It's risky but in Denmark I got faith.

Group I- Spain is already in but still plays a part in qualifying. They get Scotland in a huge game for the Scots. Scotland needs to get some kind of points here but even against a not completely first team side of Spain, I don't see it. Spain will take care of business and win 2-0 here. They just seem to complete and their depth can't be denied. The Czechs are looking to bounce back and get the playoff spot. They do play against Lithuania in a must win game away from home. A tie should get them in as they own the tie breaker over Scotland. I see them getting a win though in 2-1 fashion as they get that last playoff spot.

Who will be getting the 2nd place most points qualification? Portugal, Sweden, Croatia are the only teams that can do it within my predictions. With Portugal losing and Sweden picking up a point, Sweden will be going through in shocking fashion!!! I see them drawing Holland to just get in while Portugal will have to go through playoffs.