Elimination Chamber 2013 Buyrate

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
The Elimination Chamber preliminary buyrate is out and the show did about 221,000 buys, with about 161,000 coming domestically and 51,000 coming internationally.

Last year pulled 178,000 buys so they increased it by 43,000 buys or close to 25% this year. The Rock and Punk drew again for the WWE title. Surprised that international buys are so low, must be the time differences that hurts the international sales because not many countries get it Sunday night, it is very early monday morning or late monday morning.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Could of swore Elimination Chamber was on Sky Sports over here so it wasn't even on PPV which makes it even more impressive.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I just had a look and it was on Sky Sports 1. Tried to find what rating it did in the UK but had no luck.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
That's still pretty good. But I'm not all that surprised that the international buys are so low. Like you mentioned, the time differences would make it a bitch for most.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The Elimination Chamber match itself is a considerable draw on it's own which is why I think it's the best thing Eric Bischoff brought to the WWE when he was there. As long as you pack that match with top stars every year, you're going to get buys. It's one of my favorite types of matches of all time.

I just think it's a little shitty that they put it the month right before Wrestlemania, and I'm speaking from a strictly kayfabe perspective. I mean, the WWE Champion is on the Road to Wrestlemania, but you make him defend that title against 5 other people all in one night before he can even get there? That always seemed a bit silly to me. I would totally hate my boss if I had to go through that.

I always thought the match would be better-suited for Survivor Series because it really brings out the name of the ppv and traditional Survivor Series 8-man tag team matches are pretty much dead these days and the ppv itself always does lousy buys. I really think if you put those matches on Survivor Series, those buy rates would climb in a heartbeat. I don't think you really need that in February because Wrestlemania will more than make up for the quarter regardless of how good or bad the February ppv draws.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It is interesting that the year starts with three massive PPVs. Before with No Way Out it wasn't the most popular PPV but it kind of served its purpose in between the two biggest PPVs of the year. If they did move Elimination Chamber to later in the year it would balance out the PPV schedule a lot and as you say they don't really need it for the first quarter.

Killz

Reaction score
I still maintain that in this new age where everything tech-wise is getting better and better and people get further into streaming and such that any INCREASE in buys is a tremendous job. To get that number in 2013 is a hell of a job with all the other potential ways of watching the show and engaging with the content.

Continues to highlight that, in my opinion, Punk was and always has been a draw on some level and also that WWE really need to start positioning guys better so it doesn't take Rocky to pop the big numbers. He won't be around forever.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Last year pulled 178,000 buys so they increased it by 43,000 buys or close to 25% this year. The Rock and Punk drew again for the WWE title. Surprised that international buys are so low, must be the time differences that hurts the international sales because not many countries get it Sunday night, it is very early monday morning or late monday morning.

The concept of "Pay-per-view" is redundant/non-existent here as we get everything for free on local satellite/cable television.

Agree with Killz on the "any increase" is impressive though, we see all sorts of stuff being pirated, even video games and movies, and these are sometimes even pirated by people who call themselves loyalists.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That must be the big driving factor behind the WWE Network, they realise that they need to find different revenue streams in the future as PPV will struggle and this could plug the gap. There will still be some that pirate the content but it will be a better system if they market it right.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Elimination Chamber match itself is a considerable draw on it's own which is why I think it's the best thing Eric Bischoff brought to the WWE when he was there. As long as you pack that match with top stars every year, you're going to get buys. It's one of my favorite types of matches of all time.

I just think it's a little shitty that they put it the month right before Wrestlemania, and I'm speaking from a strictly kayfabe perspective. I mean, the WWE Champion is on the Road to Wrestlemania, but you make him defend that title against 5 other people all in one night before he can even get there? That always seemed a bit silly to me. I would totally hate my boss if I had to go through that.

I always thought the match would be better-suited for Survivor Series because it really brings out the name of the ppv and traditional Survivor Series 8-man tag team matches are pretty much dead these days and the ppv itself always does lousy buys. I really think if you put those matches on Survivor Series, those buy rates would climb in a heartbeat. I don't think you really need that in February because Wrestlemania will more than make up for the quarter regardless of how good or bad the February ppv draws.

You may have a very good point, it has been a concern of mine that the Rumble has become less important in recent years because of the Chamber in Feb.

Great number overall.