El Generico :sad:

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Cloud said:
Suppose they could just be working on a new mask design and keeping him match fit. Thats the WWE optimist in me sorry Dolphs.

That's what I think. Why else would he be using Del Rio's old gear? Plus it is developmental. They are going to try loads of things to see what sticks. They will probably figure out that he works better under a mask/heavy gimmick and work from there somewhere down the road.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
That's what I think. Why else would he be using Del Rio's old gear? Plus it is developmental. They are going to try loads of things to see what sticks. They will probably figure out that he works better under a mask/heavy gimmick and work from there somewhere down the road.

Couldnt agree more fella. Its all testing and thats why its called developmental. They develop ideas.

Which is why i cant work out this Big E nonsense we have going on atm but thats another thread.

Im with the match fitness and producing ideas and a newer mask design.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Take away his name, than take away his mask. Take away his oleeeee...

What's next?

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
Take away his name, than take away his mask. Take away his oleeeee...

What's next?

Allowing him to experiment. He's in developmental so he has the freedom to do that. It's what they do with new talent, try out different gimmicks to see what is the best fit.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
Allowing him to experiment. He's in developmental so he has the freedom to do that. It's what they do with new talent, try out different gimmicks to see what is the best fit.

This.

But then i remembered about Hunico. Granted he isnt Generico but kinda lost a lot of momentum losing the mask after the dual Sin Cara feud imo.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Stopspot said:

His been famous for years now as El Generico...

Why not go with the flow for once, and not go changing things up, just so you can claim "we have the rights for your gimmick"?

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:

Why not go with the flow for once, and not go changing things up, just so you can claim "we have the rights for your gimmick"?

The wrestlers on NXT have in large part freedom to create or help create their own characters. Sabei has worked Generico for years, what is to say that he didn't want to try something new since he is starting on a fresh slate? If he doesn't connect the same way he did as Generico he can easily slip back in under a mask. That's the beauty of having a developmental system. They did the same thing with Kruger, let him try out one gimmick and when it didn't connect that well they developed a new one that worked much better.

Plus he isn't even on TV yet. There is no way of telling if this will be the version of Rami Sabei we will see on TV. They might be making his new gear right now and thus he is wrestling in Del Rio's gear.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:

He really isn't that famous as Generico tbh, the only "famous" indie stars were Danielson and Aries and even they didn't really scratch the surface.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Uncle Zeb said:
He really isn't that famous as Generico tbh, the only "famous" indie stars were Danielson and Aries and even they didn't really scratch the surface.

*ehem* you forgot CM Punk...

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:

Same thing. Punk wasn't making waves when he was in ROH. Heyman on the DVD describes it perfectly. "They signed a guy who had a little buzz".

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
The wrestlers on NXT have in large part freedom to create or help create their own characters. Sabei has worked Generico for years, what is to say that he didn't want to try something new since he is starting on a fresh slate? If he doesn't connect the same way he did as Generico he can easily slip back in under a mask. That's the beauty of having a developmental system. They did the same thing with Kruger, let him try out one gimmick and when it didn't connect that well they developed a new one that worked much better.

Plus he isn't even on TV yet. There is no way of telling if this will be the version of Rami Sabei we will see on TV. They might be making his new gear right now and thus he is wrestling in Del Rio's gear.

Well, if that's the case, where the hell is Kassius Ohno??? How come he didn't debut yet?

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
Well, if that's the case, where the hell is Kassius Ohno??? How come he didn't debut yet?

Kassius has been on NXT TV for months but has recently been of with a bit of an injury. He returned at the latest tapings. He's another example of trying new things. He's been playing a vicious villain for most of NXT, something that isn't really his cup of tea since he works better as an arrogant heel or Y2J style face.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
Kassius has been on NXT TV for months but has recently been of with a bit of an injury. He returned at the latest tapings. He's another example of trying new things. He's been playing a vicious villain for most of NXT, something that isn't really his cup of tea since he works better as an arrogant heel or Y2J style face.

And people in the past wanted to see AJ Styles and Samoa Joe in the WWE... :/ WWE doesn't care about Wrestling anyways, so what does it matter who has what gimmick? All they do all day is tout and tweet and wwe.com that and wweshop.com this...

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
And people in the past wanted to see AJ Styles and Samoa Joe in the WWE... :/ WWE doesn't care about Wrestling anyways, so what does it matter who has what gimmick? All they do all day is tout and tweet and wwe.com that and wweshop.com this...

You are underselling WWE and what the WWE wrestlers do quite a bit there. You say that WWE is not about wrestling, in 2012 alone we have seen an increase in amount of time spent in the ring of a whole 33% on RAW alone. More focus is put on wrestling and talented wrestlers with the rise of guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Antonio Cesaro and Alberto Del Rio. They revamped their developmental system to make it the best one in the business by far and have scoured the independent scene for good talent with wrestling experience instead of mainly focusing on College athletes.

Gimmicks are important because every wrestler needs a character that they can work, not every wrestler can work the same gimmick but the only way to find out the correct gimmick is to experiment, which is what they do on NXT. 2012 and 2013 have seen the return of more clear cut gimmicks anyways. Your statement that a gimmick doesn't matter is in my opinion Asinine since it is obvious that it does, prime example being Bray Wyatt, the former Husky Harris didn't really get over as Husky but once he made the switch to Bray he became so much greater. Some guys don't need a character and prefer working with character traits instead (Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, The Miz and Dolph Ziggler etc) whilst others prefer working in a character (Undertaker, Bray Wyatt, Damian Sandow and Kane to name a few).

Your statement that WWE doesn't care about wrestling is also one I don't see how you can argue for. WWE puts out 7 and a half hours of wrestling a week. They obviously do care about a business that they helped bring into the mainstream. They don't hype social media more than any other media company. It's the culture of our society and age.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:

ROH was in it's infancy when Punk was there, Danielson and Aries made it a national promotion it is currently, those where the pioneers, Punk was before that.