Disney buys Marvel Comics

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nation

August 31, 2009 - In a deal that combines two of entertainment's most popular brands, The Walt Disney Company announced its agreement to acquire Marvel Entertainment and its over 5000 characters in a stock and cash transaction. Marvel shareholders will receive $30 and 0.745 Disney shares for each share of stock they own. This brings the total price per share to approximately $50, making the total value of the deal around $4 billion.

Disney President and CEO Robert A. Iger explains:

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories. Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."
Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel, adds:

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses. This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."
Perlmutter will continue to oversee Marvel's properties and will "work directly with Disney's global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel's properties.

The deal has been approved by each company's board of directors but is still waiting for the approval of Marvel shareholders and anti-trust clearance.

The intersection of these two brands is sure to have a tremendous impact across all fields of entertainment given the recent success of the Marvel brand in movies and video games. It's unlikely that the deal with affect the publishing status of the Paramount movies or Activision games, but the status of the Marvel presence at Universal's theme park is unclear.

UPDATE: More details were revealed in an investor call this morning. It was announced that Disney XD is likely to be the new home for Marvel-related TV projects. Representatives on the call praised Marvel's existing licensing deals, saying that Marvel has "done a good job at keeping attractive deals in place" and suggested that "those deals stay in place." Deals for Fox's Fantastic Four, Sony's Spider-Man and Paramount's Iron Man won't be affected in the short term but according to Disney representatives, "it would be clearly be more attractive to us if, over time, we became the sole distributor of these films." Still, added Iger, "If it's not broke..."

More interestingly, Disney has reported lots of enthusiasm in internal talks between Pixar and Marvel. The company indicated that co-branding of properties isn't likely but that the two groups are looking "very expansively at all the opportunities."

On the game's front, Disney again praised Marvel's "smart licensing agreements with some of the best videogame manufacturers in the business" and offered assurances that games based on Marvel properties will not be exclusively created by Disney. In evaluating "what's best for the company" Disney won't "rule out the possibilities of a blend of licensed games as well as self-produced and self-distributed" titles.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Leviathan

Reaction score
So are we going to see a Mickey Mouse/Wolverine crossover issue next month??? :shock:

Wordlife

oh now this is some extremely gay news.... huge for Disney.... gay for us who enjoy Marvel-made comics/movies :(

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
What else does Disney not own now? They own Power Rangers, Marvel, and Hannah Montana. Maybe we'll get The Amazing Adventures of Mighty Morphin' Hannah Montana?

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
Fuck man, IDK about this on the real.

Who would be absolutely creeped out to see my boys Buzz Lightyear and Spidey fight fucking Zerg and Venom? Lol, just think about it..

noumenon

I was shocked when I heard about this the other day as well. Monstrous merger for Disney. I remember hearing that Marvel was in trouble but I didn't think there was much truth to it... with all the movies they had been putting out.
If they're smart they'll keep them completely separate and life will go on like nothing ever happened.
Disney does have insane amounts of finances and outlets for getting their products seen so this may actually be a good thing for Marvel. But make no doubt about it, I'm almost positive we'll be seeing some sort of kid-aimed Spiderman cartoon in the works.

Soulpower

THIS SUMMER!

Miley Cyrus is Rogue
That one Jonas is Cyclops
That other Jonas is Wolverine
The other Jonas is Iceman

X-Men IV!

Honestly, the only good that can come from this is if we get some cameos from Marvel characters in the next Kingdom Hearts game.

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
The Hulk meets Mickey Mouse! :D
"You won't like me when I'm Mickey"

I just hope Disney doesn't affect the true rawness of future Marvel films with this new merger. And if thats the case, thank god Iron Man 2 is already finished through works. LOL

Wordlife

^AGREED!

They're going to make the Punisher look like a fucking homo! This sucks lol

The Leviathan

Reaction score
I just wish they don't get their hands with the comics and just the movies, besides, Pixar can make a kick-ass 3D Movie for Avengers or X-Men...

Reaction score
We're doomed fellas. There's no way around it.

Less violence, more dumb blonde female characters, and oh yeah: Wacky, CAAA-RAAAZZZZYYY ETHNIC sidekicks!!!! All traits of Disney trash. Wolverine 2 will no doubt have Eddie Griffin, Ice Cube or Queen Latifah as some kind of "buddy" for Hugh Jackman. :rolleyes:

In DC Comics I trust.

MikeY

Reaction score
I wonder if this will affect UNiversal Studios in any way. Their Islands of Adventure park(for those who dont know) has a Marvel section(Hulk roller coaster is the shit)