Desmond Wolfe & Daniel Bryan: Roles Reversed?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated RJC

Reaction score
A few months ago there were two of the biggest names on the independent scene rumored to have signed contracts with the WWE. Desmond Wolfe and Daniel Bryan.

The two went their separate ways, one ended up in TNA, the other WWE. Wolfe stepped into TNA and the first night struck up a feud with Kurt Angle. The other's debut night was a main event against World Champion Chris Jericho.

Needless to say both had impactful (no pun) debuts and are being looked at as potential mega stars for their respective companies. Both pushes are being handled different with TNA fans clearly more knowledgable than WWE fans in terms of Wolfe and Bryan's previous experience so Wolfe's time in the indy scene has been ignored whereas Bryan's has been thoroughly publicized.

What I noticed in watching Impact the past few months is Wolfe's keen microphone skill that goes along with his in ring prowess. It got me to think what if the roles had been reversed and Bryan went to TNA with Wolfe heading to WWE. Both companies and stars could have gotten something better than they have now. WWE would be getting Desmond Wolfe, a guy more their speed so to speak. Much better look, improved microphone skills and just about the same in terms of ring skill. TNA gets Daniel Bryan, the proclaimed 'Best in the World' so why not have the best WRESTLER in the world in the company known for their wrestling?

Basically I see if Bryan and Wolfe swapped places a few months ago we would be upon an even better product than we have now. Bryan would without a doubt be the mega star in TNA and Wolfe would be on the fast track in a company where it's known that it will take some time to reach such a high level.

This post was meant to be so much longer but my own problem with my internet and the site lost the original post. This is a shortened version but please I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on these two and even it could expand to the Joe/Punk argument seeing as they were in the exact same situation a few years ago.

Airfixx

Crossed my mind recently also... But I have a feeling both will be fine (Danielson's showing more charisma than I expected), although I think TNA got the better 'end of the stick' - Wolfe has the complete package IMO.

Axis

I love thinking about the Joe-Punk argument from a few years ago. Everybody thought that CM Punk was Blue for going to the WWE, and everybody believed that Samoa Joe would become huge in TNA in due time. Sure enough, Samoa Joe was pushed very heavily, but now he's been virtually ruined. He's not a credible monster, he's never anywhere near the center of attention of the show, and he's pretty much a joke. Meanwhile, Punk is hated by people all across the globe, and you can find teenagers wearing his T-shirts in malls across the country.

I've got my money on Daniel Bryan. Even if Desmond Wolfe wins the TNA Championship, the past few months/year have revealed that nothing that happens in TNA really matters at all.

noumenon

I still stick by my thought that Nigel would have faired much better in WWE than Danielson in the long run. Everything about Nigel just screams WWE star power. He's got a great gimmick down pat, is pretty damn awesome on the mic and has just enough ring prowess to carry himself and others. Danielson is showing a little more charisma then I thought he would, I'm just wondering how long until this whole "indie guy turned pro" thing wears off and he has to come up with a personality that is going to keep him over. His size is also a little bit of an issue. I know he isn't Rey Mysterio tiny but next to him and Bourne I'm pretty sure he's the smallest guy in the company.
Nigel's success is also going to depend on how the new regime of TNA sees fit to book him and how the company does in the long run. If TNA does go under or he finds himself unhappy I think he'd find himself a pretty comfortable stay in WWE.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I think Danielson will end up carving out a nice niche for himself as a Chris Benoit type character. I think that he could reasonably pull off the same intensity and personality of a guy who would use a chainsaw to cut butter.

MizMasta3000

First off, Samoa Joe wasn't brought in as a "monster" never was built that way. He was the undefeated dangerous submission machine. The fat guy that flips and it was nice. I think Joe was doing fine until "Washed Up Wrestlers Anonymous" set up shop in TNA's main event and upper mid card. He is suffering from the same thing as Daniels. Maybe this abduction thing will pay off again.

On the topic, Airfixx, to be fair. Wolfe has had more mic time, ring time, and television than Bryan so it isn't fair to say TNA got the better end of the stick. WWE is taking their time and it may be for the benefit.

noumenon

I think Danielson will end up carving out a nice niche for himself as a Chris Benoit type character. I think that he could reasonably pull off the same intensity and personality of a guy who would use a chainsaw to cut butter.

Did you catch last night on NXT where Cole mentioned his "Manliness Meter" on his Twitter account? If they do decide to eventually turn him heel using something like that could be absolutely epic.

Airfixx

On the topic, Airfixx, to be fair. Wolfe has had more mic time, ring time, and television than Bryan so it isn't fair to say TNA got the better end of the stick. WWE is taking their time and it may be for the benefit.

I get that, but IMO Wolfe has an infinitely better look than Bryan and as well as more natural charisma...

MizMasta3000

I agree with the look aspect. Daniel Bryan has his own niche when it comes to charisma. He isn't CM Punk ZOMG WHAT A PROMO but he isn't Shelton Benjamin zzzzzZZZZZzz either.

LadyHotrod

A few months ago there were two of the biggest names on the independent scene rumored to have signed contracts with the WWE. Desmond Wolfe and Daniel Bryan.

The two went their separate ways, one ended up in TNA, the other WWE. Wolfe stepped into TNA and the first night struck up a feud with Kurt Angle. The other's debut night was a main event against World Champion Chris Jericho.

Needless to say both had impactful (no pun) debuts and are being looked at as potential mega stars for their respective companies. Both pushes are being handled different with TNA fans clearly more knowledgable than WWE fans in terms of Wolfe and Bryan's previous experience so Wolfe's time in the indy scene has been ignored whereas Bryan's has been thoroughly publicized.

What I noticed in watching Impact the past few months is Wolfe's keen microphone skill that goes along with his in ring prowess. It got me to think what if the roles had been reversed and Bryan went to TNA with Wolfe heading to WWE. Both companies and stars could have gotten something better than they have now. WWE would be getting Desmond Wolfe, a guy more their speed so to speak. Much better look, improved microphone skills and just about the same in terms of ring skill. TNA gets Daniel Bryan, the proclaimed 'Best in the World' so why not have the best WRESTLER in the world in the company known for their wrestling?

Basically I see if Bryan and Wolfe swapped places a few months ago we would be upon an even better product than we have now. Bryan would without a doubt be the mega star in TNA and Wolfe would be on the fast track in a company where it's known that it will take some time to reach such a high level.

This post was meant to be so much longer but my own problem with my internet and the site lost the original post. This is a shortened version but please I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on these two and even it could expand to the Joe/Punk argument seeing as they were in the exact same situation a few years ago.

Good points you bring up but I think it's too early to judge Danielson. A lot of people are unhappy with his losing streak but they need to give it some time. He's still suppose to be a 'rookie', you can't have him come in and beat the shit out of all the pros. I think he should have at least won a few (I haven't been 100% up to date on NXT but last time I checked, he hadn't won yet).

I think Danielson will get far, there just needs to be time to allow the story development instead of judging his direction after about a month. I think the WWE know what kind of wrestler they are dealing with.

the408kid

Reaction score
Good points you bring up but I think it's too early to judge Danielson. A lot of people are unhappy with his losing streak but they need to give it some time. He's still suppose to be a 'rookie', you can't have him come in and beat the shit out of all the pros. I think he should have at least won a few (I haven't been 100% up to date on NXT but last time I checked, he hadn't won yet).

I think Danielson will get far, there just needs to be time to allow the story development instead of judging his direction after about a month. I think the WWE know what kind of wrestler they are dealing with.
I think their setting up for a match between The Miz and Bryan Danielson with the stipulation that if Bryan wins he stays on NXT and gets a new mentor and The Miz goes back to raw, but if Miz wins Danielson is eliminated from NXT.

LadyHotrod

I think their setting up for a match between The Miz and Bryan Danielson with the stipulation that if Bryan wins he stays on NXT and gets a new mentor and The Miz goes back to raw, but if Miz wins Danielson is eliminated from NXT.

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, and it will be a big push for him going up against Miz.

I'm sure they have a lot of faith in him, they're just starting out a bit slow.