Could Randy Orton become the cornerstone?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Anyone notice at Wrestlemania how over Randy Orton was, after a LAME face turn? Anyone notice how Orton was getting all the cheers when tagging with Cena on Raw? Do you think the WWE will take notice, and turn Orton into a Icon in the wrestling business? Focus Raw to revolve around Orton? In the next 3-5 years can Orton move into the Upper Tier of WWE legends.

Your thoughts?

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
He just has to surpass Cena. I don't see it happening.

noumenon

Reaction score
What I want to know is how this is in any way a "LAME" face turn. This is probably one of the best face turns I have ever seen. It was never forced upon us, or even ATTEMPTED. The fans simply decided that they were getting behind Orton. The turn came so fluidly it was ridiculous. His character has not changed at all, he's still a psychopath in the ring, only with the volume turned up to 10. As I've said in many other threads, WWE would be absolutely insane not to run like mad with this one as it's their best shot at filling the anti-hero face gap Austin left wide open.

Montana

Reaction score
Yeah, Miz, i guess that's kinda what this thread is about. Can Orton overtake Cena now? I think he might be able to, or at least come close. Just wanted to get people opinions on it.

I'd said it was a lame face turn, mostly for the reason you liked the face turn. It was forced, and he never really changed his character. But as i was watching it was like who's really the face as the legacy breakup was developing. Should Orton have stayed heel while Rhodes or Dibiase went face. It just seemed over night and poor booking cause i didn't get what was going on. It's like they broke them up soley to get a mania match for Orton. And Orton teaming with Cena after their long fued didn't make sense to me either. But it appears it worked out pretty well in the long run. I just don't like how they booked the matches and promos. As far as the best face turn, I was a big fan of Austins turn. It was like the fans wanted it, and it slowly happened. I don't think a large percentage of wwe fans wanted Orton to turn, like Austins. Me personally i also like the cheesy old school face turns. Kinda like Lex Luger in 93. It came out of no where, but it worked overnight and it had pupose behind it. Your typical Cena, Rock, HBK face turns were all good. Just comes down to a matter of opinion. I see why you like it. Maybe Lame was a bit harsh.

Reaction score
He might have to tweak his mannerisms just a little. I love the snake lit movements but sometimes he still looks creepy. It's still getting cheers anyway so maybe I know nothing but in the long run it might help.

Randy Orton is a cornerstone right now. He and John Cena are two of the biggest stars in pro wrestling and that won't change now.

soulpower

Reaction score
Orton lacks something. He always has, and he always will. He's got the mannerisms and facial expressions down, but his mic work is still good (at best), and the same can be said about his in-ring work.

Simply put, he's still a bit boring, at least boring enough where he can't be a cornerstone for the company like Austin.

Reaction score
^^^Good point. He should try to be more excitable. Have some enthusiasm when he speaks. Now that he's a face, he should be a little happy about something instead of brooding and sulking about.

LKP

Reaction score
Going off topic a little here..... When orton fought cena at Hell in a cell and bragging rights orton was the most demented i have ever seen him. Rocking back and forth rolling ghis eyes into his head. That is the orton we ned to see now. It just seems like the volume turned up from a heel but the silver lining is yet to come.
Corner stone? Yeah sure i mean 4 guys who can become wwe's top four for the future are CENA ORTON EDGE & PUNK.

Reaction score
Randy Orton is one of my favorite wrestlers but he WILL NOT overtake John Cena. Randy Ortons anti hero character is a good contrast to Cenas traditional face and it is very refreshing to see that but Orton will not take Cenas spot because when it comes to marketing and advertising, John Cena has that over Orton especially with the kids and always will. John Cena is the modern day Hulk Hogan and Orton is the modern day Steve Austin.

Rated RJC

Reaction score
This is the nature of the business you always hear in people like The Rock and Austin's stories that the fans decided what to make of the character and history is repeating itself once again. Randy Orton kind of stumbled upon this but once again it's the nature of the business, people will cheer what they want and know they've got it. Let's hope they don't get bored with it.

What I want to know in terms of Orton's character is what is he after? Is the WWE Title still his number one goal or is there going to be more layering to his character? The booking team has one hell of a ride ahead of them and the payoff will be in the cheers for Orton.

noumenon

Reaction score
^^^Good point. He should try to be more excitable. Have some enthusiasm when he speaks. Now that he's a face, he should be a little happy about something instead of brooding and sulking about.

Uhhhh, that would pretty much completely defeat the entire purpose and point of the character.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I think that Orton's face turn was beautifully done. It seemed that for the last year or so the fans slowly started getting behind Orton. They wanted a reason to cheer him, the WWE never forced it or tried to tease it. Much like Austin, they just realized that the people love the badass anti-hero that Orton is.

You can say that the Legacy split was only to get Orton a Mania match but I disagree, it has slowly been building sing the Summer, personally I loved the turn, turning Legacy face wouldn't have made much sense tbh being that it was almost a 2 on 1 feud.

I just hope that the WWE takes this ball and runs with it. Back when Orton first turned face in 2004 it was so horrible mainly because it totally contradicted his entire character up until that point. They haven't changed anything about him or his character. His mannerisms and look are perfect the way he is. But, could he take over Cena's role as the WWE posterboy? Honestly I don't know but I do think that he and Cena could be to the WWE now what The Rock and Austin were in The early 00's. Now I usually haye drawing comparisons like that but Orton is that anti-hero to Cena's typical face character.

The reaction that Orton got on Raw this past week was insane, the "RKO" chant is personally my favorite in the 'E at the moment.

But imo the best thing about his face turn is the old 'Destiny' pose.

Reaction score
Orton can't pass Cena, unless they do some mighty booking. But Randy is a cornerstone along with Cena. The other two? Probably Edge and the 4th is a toss up as Trips and Taker are cornerstones, technically, but they are on the wind down of their careers. Could be Punk if he continues his momentum, could be Miz, could be Swagger. But certainly Orton is a cornerstone.

seX-Power

Reaction score
Orton just looks stupid when he's trying to be demented imo.

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
Orton can't pass Cena, unless they do some mighty booking. But Randy is a cornerstone along with Cena. The other two? Probably Edge and the 4th is a toss up as Trips and Taker are cornerstones, technically, but they are on the wind down of their careers. Could be Punk if he continues his momentum, could be Miz, could be Swagger. But certainly Orton is a cornerstone.

The mighty booking you are talking about is turning Cena heel. If its heel Cena vs tweener Orton then forget about it, Orton will take Cena's spot for at least a while. Although I have a feeling that Cena would be such a great heel that a lot of people that boo him now will start cheering for him.

It's interesting that you point out the top guys. I think the wwe has already made its decision on who the focus will be for the next 3 to 5 years. Orton, Cena, Punk, Miz, Edge, and Swagger are the guys who will be interchanged in the main event for the next several years. Much like HHH, Cena, Orton, Taker, and Batista were for the last 5 or so.