"Cop Outs" in Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Still not sure how that is a cop out... If anything they made things harder on themselves. John Cena has always been able to rise up and handle business, now there is a glaring example of him not being able to. They basically blemished their squeaky clean biggest star. That's not a cop out. Just because you don't like the results doesnt mean it fits in this thread.

Ok so what's the definition of a cop out

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
that is def a cop out, lazy, and just plain fucked

also Nexus being just disbanded one day for no reason would fit that

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I don't know why everybody thinks the nexus being disbanded like that is a bad thing. They just kind of split up. Wwe didn't make it into a soap opera with one member getting mad at another and then fighting. They just kind of fizzled out. It wasn't that bad.

Darren Young lost to John Cena
Skip Shieffield got injured
Michael Tarver was mauled by John Cena
Wade Barrett was kicked out by CM Punk
Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater joined the Corre on SD
Husky Harris was sent to FCW
Mason Ryan got injured
CM Punk moved on to the wwe title
David Otunga and Mike Mcgillicutty kind of disbanded

No argueing. It just kind of happened. I thought it was pretty good.

Death Dealer

Feel the Heat
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Nexus sucked the cock after SummerSlam anyway. But for once I agree with Viper they just kinda fizzled down to OtungaCutty, it's not as if they just up and disbanded.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah really. After the original nexus ended it was ridiculous. By the end David Otunga was the only original member left. It was pointless to keep them around. The fans knew that it was stupid also. They became detatched from nexus after a while. So instead of having a stupid "having a fight and breaking up" storyline, they just let them fizzle out. It was fine with me.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Oh and to add to the list of actual cop out's, the entire Black Scorpion angle comes to mind. For months we were told there was NO way it could be Ric Flair and then when he was finally unmasked it was...Ric Flair.

Reminds me of McMahon being revealed as the Greater Power, ruining months of storyline in the process.

W-olf

Reaction score
Reminds me of McMahon being revealed as the Greater Power, ruining months of storyline in the process.
Amen ... I hated both endings but like the run up to the finish on em at least.

CrimsonTide

Reaction score
I yeah, that Undertaker Mcmahon shit was awesome... Steph on the cross, shit was crazy.

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
Honestly, I think its the other way around. If Cena had won, everyone would be up in arms about how "old Super Cena" did it again. Instead, Cena came out of the match looking beatable (a situation that continued the next night on Raw when Lesnar kicked his ass). Considering a lot of people don't like Cena, this beatable side to his character should serve to make them think he's "freshened" up a bit. From The Rock's perspective, winning lit a fire under him which in turn gave him the inspiration to announce that he wants to go for the WWE Championship when he returns.

I'm not saying its the way I would have booked it, but I do realize the reasoning behind why it was done. Also, you can't define this as a cop out until you see the scope of the long term plans they have for it. The only reason EC can say he thought the Royal Rumble finish in 1994 was one is because he has the benefit of hindsight, something we do not have here.

Amen to that! As someone who's never been to thrilled with the way Cena's booked, it was nice to see him lose a huge match. What's even nicer is to see him grow a pair and throw the "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" crap to the curb and bitchslap some people, like he did to Brock Lesnar. It's made him infinitely more interesting, in my opinion, for the time being anyway. I'm sure he ultimately go back to being Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes, and that's ok, so long as he doesn't come out on Monday saying "I want to apologize to my fans, to my haters, and especially to Brock Lesnar because what I did last week was inexcusable. I am a man, and I live by a code, and that code is Hustle, Loyalty, Respect. What I did...that wasn't respect, etc.." I will punch a whole in my TV at that point. I want to see edgy, pissed off Cena more. I want to see him get some more cheap shots on Brock, and that sort of thing.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
If it makes Cena cooler then fine. It could work out but I just don't think rock needed the win

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I'm very glad The Rock won.

Cena looked legitimately pissed on Raw after WM, and it was awesome.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
I'm not really sure if this is a cop out or not, but I want to say I was appalled by the way WCW "retired" the TV Championship. At one point, this title was used to make superstars out of the wrestlers in the lower cards. The TV title did wonders for the careers of Booker T, Chris Benoit, Steve Austin, and Arn Anderson just to name a few. However, near the end of the WCW Days, Scott Hall was the TV Champ and instead of defending the title he just throws it into the garbage. Not long after this incident, Hacksaw Jim Duggan (In his Janitor gimmick) finds the title in the trash and names himself the new TV Champion. The title was never really defended again (maybe at house shows and weekend shows no one watched) and was soon "retired". To me this was a horrible way of ending a legacy.

We went from having: Arn Anderson vs. Tully Blanchard in the 1980s; Steamboat vs. Austin in the early 1990s; Regal vs. Steamboat; Booker T vs. Benoit vs Martel; to having the great trashcan reign of Jim Duggan!

Reactions: 1 person