• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Cm punk's in ring skill

Reaction score
Now i was watching some Cm punk matches and i tried to see what was so ''Holy'' about his in ring prowess. I even went back to his ROH days and i still failed to see what's so special about his in ring work.

He's imo consistently sloppy in ring even basic kicks and Punches are lackluster. He's just really unbelievable and mediocre in ring.

I would think with a ''Best wrestler in the world'' gimmick he would leagues above everyone on the roster. Sadly he's not i would even rank Natalya above him in terms of ring skill.

Not too mention his serial botching of Kenta's GTS.

I have never witnessed a main event level superstar(i use this term lightly) botch their finisher as much as Punk has.

I am all for giving him a chance i tried i just spent an hour checking his work out. And nothing remotely amazing stood out.

Is it that IWC fans are addicted to shoot kicks? Because that's basically his entire moveset.

So why is it that the iwc overrates his ring skills? When there's tons more better wrestlers on the roster just to name a few Tyson kidd,Cody rhodes,Evan bourne,Curt hawkins etc etc.

Your opinions and lets keep this civil no name calling i have not once called Punk out of his name. :smug1:

Talented

Jobber
Reaction score
IWC always overrates vanilla midgets, they think they're all good workers, I haven't seen anything special about punk either, I'm not saying he's a bad wrestler, I'm saying he's overrated and he isn't that good that everyone else makes him out to be.

Reactions: Goodbad_Jester

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
He's definitely overrated in the ring among "smarks", I never thought he was all that great and he can be awfully sloppy at times.

He's no HBK, Chris Benoit, Daniel Bryan, Dean Malenko, etc.

Austin Aries/Daniel Bryan > > > > CM Punk

Reaction score
Rain said:
IWC = "OMG HE'S THE BEST IN THE WORLD!"
Haters = "This dude's awful and has nothing whatsoever going for him"

Reality = "He's pretty good"

In order to hate someone/something it has to be something there to hate. :vince:

In Punk's case he's just a one mic wonder. If it wasn't for that shoot promo he'd be either jobbing or future endeavored by now.

:maybe:

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Goodbad_Jester said:
In order to hate someone/something it has to be something there to hate. :vince:

In Punk's case he's just a one mic wonder. If it wasn't for that shoot promo he'd be either jobbing or future endeavored by now.

Disagree. Look at the matches he's had this year. He's had a fast-paced, exciting match with Bryan, an awesome hardcore match with Jericho, he did a great job telling a story with Ryback, and had a slower, WWE-style dramatic match with Cena, and he made each of those matches all they can be. When I see him his moves and (especially) his look do leave a lot to be desired, you simply can't argue against the fact that sticking Punk in the ring gives good results.

He's an amazing talker, but the shoot promo was overrated. It made him a star, but it coming out of nowhere at a time where the fans were quickly getting tired of WWE's bullshit made it special.

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
"Pretty Good" is an accurate description. But the dude is still overrated. He isn't as good in the ring or on the mic as many make him out to be. Certainly not the "Best In The World." He's not even the best in WWE, Daniel Bryan has that record. (Compare Bryan's match with Sheamus at ER with Punk's match with Sheamus on Main Event. Which is the better match.)

And I know a lot of people don't like harping on a wrestler's look, but honestly, Punk just doesn't have the 'look' of a main event star, especially a mega star. I wouldn't be surprised if after Punk's long ass reign comes to an end, he doesn't just fall back into the upper-midcard (he's spent most of the year there anyway, he's only main evented twice in 2012.)

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I find Punk pretty entertainment most of the time (though lately he's gotten stale as shit), and he can have good matches, but he's far from being "the best in the world" and the dude isn't as amazing as a lot of people like to think.

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
I believe that he is a good-very good worker. I say the exact same with Cena; it is impossible for you to have so many great matches and not be a great performer. I'm the first to admit, his botching is horrendous at times. Why they ever decided to give him/why he ever decided to choose the GTS as his finisher is beyond me, as he cannot deliver it properly.

But his matches tend to be very well structured and he does pull off some pretty unique stuff at times. His match against Ryback absolutely sucked but in fairness, that was hardly his fault was it? That's probably the only underwhelming PPV match he's had in his title reign so far.

I think the fact he's a total dickhead in real life clouds people's judgement on his work in wrestling. It's really good most the time IMO.

Reaction score
R'Albin said:
His match against Ryback absolutely sucked but in fairness, that was hardly his fault was it?

If he was so great he'd be able to carry Ryback to a good match. That's what veterans do carry less experienced to great matches. :smug:

Alas Punk like you said and a few others said he has ok matches with people like Jericho. Because a guy like y2j covers up Punk's sloppiness quite well.

KevinLockard23 said:
"Pretty Good" is an accurate description. But the dude is still overrated. He isn't as good in the ring or on the mic as many make him out to be. Certainly not the "Best In The World." He's not even the best in WWE, Daniel Bryan has that record. (Compare Bryan's match with Sheamus at ER with Punk's match with Sheamus on Main Event. Which is the better match.)

And I know a lot of people don't like harping on a wrestler's look, but honestly, Punk just doesn't have the 'look' of a main event star, especially a mega star. I wouldn't be surprised if after Punk's long ass reign comes to an end, he doesn't just fall back into the upper-midcard (he's spent most of the year there anyway, he's only main evented twice in 2012.)

My sentiments exactly i see him falling down the card hell i wouldn't be surprised to see him jobbing to Santino after he loses the title. :smug:

dethfvk said:
He's definitely overrated in the ring among "smarks", I never thought he was all that great and he can be awfully sloppy at times.

He's no HBK, Chris Benoit, Daniel Bryan, Dean Malenko, etc.

Austin Aries/Daniel Bryan > > > > CM Punk

:true:

Smart snarks overrate him. I guess they've been sniffing too much pipebomb fumes :dawg:

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
Goodbad_Jester said:
If he was so great he'd be able to carry Ryback to a good match. That's what veterans do carry less experienced to great matches. :smug:

Sorry but you cannot blame that much on Punk. Due to the fact Ryback had to look like a monster, Punk could barely get any offence in - so how could he have carried that?

Smart snarks overrate him. I guess they've been sniffing too much pipebomb fumes :dawg:

In your opinion.