Classic Wrestling Match Spotlight #1

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
agree that it was better than anything WWE did in 1986 save the JYD/Santana vs. Funks match at 'Mania which I love for reasons even I cannot quite fully comprehend.

There's no shame in loving JYD/Santana vs Funks. I'd probably rank it as the third best WWE match that year.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Bad News Booty said:
Magnum could have been one of the greats such a fuckin tragedy.
I try not to think about stuff like that since its just depressing.

There's no shame in loving JYD/Santana vs Funks. I'd probably rank it as the third best WWE match that year.

Out of curiosity, what would the other two be?

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would the other two be?

Jim's Horrorfan's top 3 WWE matches of 1986~!

3. Terry Funk and Hoss Funk vs JYD and Tito Santana - Wrestlemania 2.

2. Bret Hart vs Ricky Steamboat - Boston Garden - March 8th

1. Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts - Boston Garden - August 9th

Then again, there were a ton of great 3 1/2 star range matches that year from Randy Savage, so #2 and #3 aren't even set in stone. Out of 14 matches (WWF 1986) I have in my super geeky 3 star+ doc, 8 of them involve Randy Savage.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I've seen Hart/Steamboat and its pretty good as well. Is that Roberts/Steamboat match the one where Roberts blocks the chops? If so, then I'd say I agree with it being the top WWE match of the year. I fucking love that match! :lol:

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Yeah me as well I saw Jim talk about it on WC and I watched it. It is a classic. What are your guys thoughts on the Rockers v Orient Express Matches in 91?

Reaction score
I've seen Hart/Steamboat and its pretty good as well. Is that Roberts/Steamboat match the one where Roberts blocks the chops? If so, then I'd say I agree with it being the top WWE match of the year. I fucking love that match! :lol:

Yeah, that's the one. It's one of the few matches that after watching it, I became highly agitated. For years, the only Steamboat/Roberts matches that have been put on DVD were that rather disappointing one from The Big Event. Now suddenly, the WWE reveals that they actually had an awesome match? Why am I just now finding out about this?! :mad:

And that folks is why Inferno's wrong about it being okay for the WWE to keep double dipping on DVD's. For all you know, you're buying stinkers like the Big Event match on every DVD when you could be getting the greatness of their Boston Garden match.

What are your guys thoughts on the Rockers v Orient Express Matches in 91?

The only match really worth checking out from their 1990-1991 series is the Rumble '91 match. To be honest, I find it to be vastly overrated. People act as if it's one of the best WWE tag matches of all time. Meanwhile, the Orient Express had just as good or even better or a match against the New Foundation the very next Rumble. Good match, but the hype is unbelievable. On the plus side, due to how weak 1991 was with great matches it's still the third best WWE match of 1991. One year later and the same star rating and Orient/Foundation may not even be in the top 8 for the WWE.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I hated to see them job to the New Foundation though. I really never felt the New Foundation maybe it was the ridiculous ring attire. In the week I have watched 90,91,&92 Royal Rumbles on DVD that is why they are fresh in my mind. Orient Express was such a bad gimmick for those two. They really deserved more in the WWE.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I really never felt the New Foundation maybe it was the ridiculous ring attire.

Good lord those outfits were bad. :lol:

Liked the RR match with the Rockers a fair bit when I was younger, but its not as spectacular as I remember it being. Still a good match but not what I think it could have been.

Reaction score
Eh, the gimmick was fine. The problem was just that the WWE never did anything with them after their very brief push when they debuted. Keep going with 1993. It actually has a pretty solid undercard. You have a MOTYC with Bret and Razor, a surprisingly good match with Boss Man vs Bam Bam Bigelow (Much like Barbarian vs Boss Man from '91 being good) and a quality Steiners/Beverly Brothers. The Rumble was a disappointment, but the only real stinker on the show was the terrible Michaels/Marty match.