Chris Benoit getting visible in WWE/ RVD-TNA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

HBKforever

Reaction score
The fact of the matter remains that you can't draw a direct comparison because this situation has never happened before. OJ is probably the closest thing, but let's not forget that ESPN chose not to put him on their nationally televised and promoted 25 greatest college football players list when he without a doubt would've been if not for his off the field problems...and he wasn't even convicted. I'm not saying that the WWE should forever pretend that Chris Benoit didn't exist, which what they've seemed to have been doing. But I feel that what they're doing is good for right now. I mean this happened 9 months ago for God's sake....give it some more time.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
OJ is probably the closest thing, but let's not forget that ESPN chose not to put him on their nationally televised and promoted 25 greatest college football players list when he without a doubt would've been if not for his off the field problems...and he wasn't even convicted. .

That's ESPN. Not the NFL. ESPN's opinion is worth nothing if the NFL still acknowledges him. He is still in the Hall of Fame, and nothing has happened to him at all.

However I love how you continue to dodge the fact that you glorify a rapist.

HBKforever

Reaction score
Exactly how am I glorifying a rapist? I assume you're talking about Mike Tyson....and you act like I have a Mike Tyson avatar. I think Tyson is a scumbag no doubt about it. Rape is an absolutely horrible crime. Glad you called me out for nothing, just makes you look dumber. So because I watched Raw at the height of DX and watched Wrestlemania 14 because it was what I thought was going to be my favorite wrestlers last match I condone rape? That makes a lot of sense right there.

I was simply using the ESPN thing as an example. Simpson was in the Hall of Fame well before his trial. Probably would've been different had it happened before, just ask Pete Rose about character issues and the Hall of Fame. Oh, but because I also watched wrestling when he was at Wrestlemania I'm a gambling addict too. (Just thought I'd save you the typing.) You however want to pretend that the incident never happened. You remind me of the health teacher from Donnie Darko with your logic. I'm not saying that Benoit should be gone forever, because as I, you, and many others have pointed out....he was a great wrestler. But especially since a lot of people think that wrestling is what caused him to go crazy and murder his own wife and child, the WWE is looking out for its own public image by waiting.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Exactly how am I glorifying a rapist?

You stated yourself, you bought the PPV and you watched the Raws.

I think Tyson is a scumbag no doubt about it. Rape is an absolutely horrible crime.

Great nice to see you have the same indignity over WWE using him that you have over WWE showing Chris Benoit.

Glad you called me out for nothing, just makes you look dumber.

Pretty sure I called you out over your hypocrisy of being okay with a rapist appearing on Raw, and then purchasing the PPV and having no issues with it.

So because I watched Raw at the height of DX and watched Wrestlemania 14 because it was what I thought was going to be my favorite wrestlers last match I condone rape? That makes a lot of sense right there.

I never said that, and I'll thank you kindly to not put words in my mouth. I just fail to see how you can work up the indignity to complain about Benoit who was a wrestler being shown on TV, and not have the same reaction towards Tyson appearing on WWE programming who was a boxer.

I was simply using the ESPN thing as an example.

And a poor example it was.

Simpson was in the Hall of Fame well before his trial.

Yes he was, and people screamed for his expulsion, but they didn't get it.

Oh, but because I also watched wrestling when he was at Wrestlemania I'm a gambling addict too.

This poor attempt to take a shot at my argument was brought to you by HBKForever. He has no clue that there is a huge difference between murder or rape and gambling.

You however want to pretend that the incident never happened.

No, I don't. Again, placing words in my mouth. It should have no bearing whatsoever on his career, what part of this is not clicking with you?

But especially since a lot of people think that wrestling is what caused him to go crazy and murder his own wife and child

I think it was more appropriately the personal lifestyle choices that Benoit himself made, not wrestling.

HBKforever

Reaction score
I think it was more appropriately the personal lifestyle choices that Benoit himself made, not wrestling.

Really? Is that why so many news sources brought up Eddie Guerrero, Pillman, and the other list of wrestlers who died young when this story hit? Is that why McMahon was being interviewed about it and steroids left and right? Is that why we've had all these documentaries about the dangers of steroids and wrestling right after the story broke? Is that why a doctor compared Benoit's brain to "an 85 year old alzheimer's patient", when coincidentally his career consisted of thousands of diving headbutts?

Um....I'm pretty sure I wasn't watching those shows for Tyson. Where was my outrage then? Well how about at that time I was like 9 and didn't know about Tyson's rape or know what rape was. Before you try to apply that to Benoit, it just happened 9 months ago...not years before...and more kids know what murder is as opposed to rape. I understand the difference between murder, rape, and gambling obviously. I was trying to use a hyperbole to show the hilariousness of your so called argument.

HHHforever

Reaction score
Traditionally whenever I see a Benoit thread I just ignore it because I'm really tired of the whole issue and I'm really tired of hearing about it, but I'll throw my two sense in.

This is my thoughts on what they should do with Benoit at this moment in time. I have absolutely no problem with them showing matches that have them in it such as the MVP and Orton matches, matches that he loses. However I don't think we need to be selling Benoit dvd's, t-shirts, and action figures. I don't think that he should just completely be forgotten by any means, but at the same time he shouldn't be glorified. The WWE is in a no win situation here. If they show everything he did then they would be criticized for glorifying a man that killed his wife and son. If they show nothing then they get critizied for not showing one of the better wrestlers of all time. I really don't know what the solution here is, but I think if they showed matches that have him losing, such as MVP and Orton. Over time I think he will definitely be worked back in, but I don't reall know what the solution is.

Reaction score
In my case I can separate Chris Benoit the wrestler from Chris Benoit the person. I will always respect what he did in the ring irregardless of his personal life.

you monkey, irregardless isn't a word... its regardless. but you basically summed up my exact thought. he was one of the best of all time and what he did, which is sick, cnt take that away

HHHforever

Reaction score
Wow Monk said irregardless. If Stewie from Family Guy was the President, you'd be dead right now lol

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Really? Is that why so many news sources brought up Eddie Guerrero, Pillman, and the other list of wrestlers who died young when this story hit?

Neither of those people died strictly of steroid usage. Guererro and Pillman had histories of drug use, and alcohol abuse, not just steroids which led to their death. So to blame steroids is intellectually dishonest.

Is that why a doctor compared Benoit's brain to "an 85 year old alzheimer's patient", when coincidentally his career consisted of thousands of diving headbutts??

I don't believe anybody put a gun to Benoit's head and said do that headbutt every single night. As a matter of fact the Dynamite Kid suffered severe repercussions from doing said headbutt and Benoit knew this, yet still chose to do it.

But thanks for pointing out that it wasn't steroids and it was the head bumps because steroids do not have long term effects on brain function.

Um....I'm pretty sure I wasn't watching those shows for Tyson. Where was my outrage then? Well how about at that time I was like 9 and didn't know about Tyson's rape or know what rape was.

That's nice. Have you purchased the WM DVD's since then? He does receive residuals you know, and if you haven't purchased them, will you?

Before you try to apply that to Benoit, it just happened 9 months ago...not years before...

So because its an older crime its okay? What if WWE booked Charles Manson if he ever got out of prison? Would that be okay? After all the crimes are almost 40 years old now.

The point is time makes no difference at all.

HBKforever

Reaction score
I wasn't blaming steroids. You're the one who said that it was life choices, not wrestling, that caused him to go crazy. No I have not purchased the WM dvd's but thanks for asking. My point with how old the crime was is not to say that it makes it ok with time, it's to say that everyone knows what Benoit did now....and therefore the WWE should wait. The Tyson argument only works if I was all for having Tyson at WM, which back then I didn't care and now I think it was the wrong move because like you said, he's a rapist. Here's my question to you though....do you think that Chris Benoit should be inducted into the WWE hall of fame?