Cena's Return?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fauche

Reaction score
Del Rio vs. Cena for the heavyweight title at HIAC. What the deal is with this anyway? Is Cena really going to be in this match? Does he possess inhuman healing abilites (see almost every match in his career for evidence supporting this theory)? Did he suffer an injury that was exagerated in severity to garner public sympathy? Was he ever really injured? Have they only just realized how much they have devalued the world heavyweight championship and are now seeking to restore its credibility as a top-tier title? Does the WWE just not care that he only has one arm right now because they are in dire need of their most beloved cash cow's drawing power? Or is it all just a swerve? If not Cena, who will challenge Del Rio for his title?

This whole thing reeks of suspicion and intrigue.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
1) Cena busts his ass more than anyone in the company
2) Cena was clearly hurt, you can see that
3) Cena is needed because Randy, Bryan, Punk, ADR etc can't hold his jock
4) Cena needs to restore the credibility of both the WHC and WWE title
5) Cena helps sds contract negotiations I bet

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
^^^ If anybody can restore credibility for the WHC, it's Cena. I personally can't wait for this match just because I'm a fan of Cena when he isn't shoved down our throats. Keeping him out of the WWE title scene is the perfect way to go with him at this point.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I doubt SDs contract being up wasnt a factor. SDs rating has only went well since RVD returned and been there every week. Bringing Cena back to appear on SD every week without wrestling is still huge

ShanegoFett

Reaction score
^^^ If anybody can restore credibility for the WHC, it's Cena. I personally can't wait for this match just because I'm a fan of Cena when he isn't shoved down our throats. Keeping him out of the WWE title scene is the perfect way to go with him at this point.

I never thought I would say this..

but I completely agree that Cena being WHC would make me more interested and feel like the belt meant something more than it is. And like, I give Cena mega props for busting his ass so much, even though I dont like his character much or his booking. So maybe we'll get lucky and he'll tweak himself a little bit when he returns (not just shirt colors) and hopefully its a little bit more fresh as well.

Like, Cena/Rio could be pretty nice given all the variables that typically haunt a sentence like that. I'd like to see Del Rio go over Cena to retain in the first match (because I'd feel like ADR would lose some "credibility" if he just straight up lost first time) and then have Cena beat ADR at the next ppv cleanly. -shrug- just my two cents. But wow, never thought I'd say I want Cena as WHC. Woooooow

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Like I put in the WHC match thread, I still don't buy into this whole bullshit of Cena restoring the credibility of these belts and everything will be fine and dandy. He isn't restoring shit, he's temporarily making it seem more important because he's challenging / holding it, once he's done with it then it's going to back to where it was beforehand. The WHC isn't suddenly going to become a credible belt that's co-headlining PPV's because Cena held the belt for 2 months while they finished off the WWE title program. It will go right back to opening the show or a few matches in and nothing will have remotely changed. It doesn't matter if it's a belt or a person, if the WWE portrays that they don't give a shout about it then that's just going to filter through to the people watching, the midcard is the prime example of this.

If the WWE shows that they care then suddenly the fans will start to care. Give the midcarders storylines that will get people invested instead of random ass matches all the time (Truth/Axel was a perfect example) and people might just begin to care. How are we supposed to give a damn about the WHC when they themselves don't give a damn about it.

Yes Cena can help but relying on him all the time to paper over cracks isn't a long term solution. It just blows my mind how WWE is the biggest and supposed best company out there, yet they seem happy to have these divisions that lets be honest are absolutely piss poor. Why would you not want to have hot midcard/womens/tag divisions but instead just be happy with directionless, stale bullshit.

This turned out to be a bit of a rant, but to at least answer a part of your question the of course they over exaggerated his injury length. Now it just makes the ultimate hero look all that much better by returning and capturing the belt in his first match for several months when he should have been sidelined for upto another few months.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Who said hold it for 2 months?

I would let Cena take the belt from ADR all the way to Mania. Let Bryan pick up the wwe title come TLC since it plays on the whole mitb ladder speciality stick giving him a match advantage. I would let them challenge one another and let Cena take both belts, note I didnt say fully unify them, but win both and defend both like when a guy hold the WCW and us title for example.

The company, the titles, and the brands need a year plus of Super The Champ Is Here Cena. A real 400 plus day reign of infamy that matters and headlines both shows and highlights both brands and their titles/challengers. They just would need to make sure to limit his match count as he works both TV show, which means limiting his free match on live TV count to three or four times a month total at best

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Cena wrestling two matches on a PPV or two, defending both belts would be hilariously awesome.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Who said hold it for 2 months?

I would let Cena take the belt from ADR all the way to Mania. Let Bryan pick up the wwe title come TLC since it plays on the whole mitb ladder speciality stick giving him a match advantage. I would let them challenge one another and let Cena take both belts, note I didnt say fully unify them, but win both and defend both like when a guy hold the WCW and us title for example.

The company, the titles, and the brands need a year plus of Super The Champ Is Here Cena. A real 400 plus day reign of infamy that matters and headlines both shows and highlights both brands and their titles/challengers. They just would need to make sure to limit his match count as he works both TV show, which means limiting his free match on live TV count to three or four times a month total at best
This is always the problem I have with you and your ideas when it comes to Cena. If you were more sensible with your ideas it wouldn't be so easy to shit on them but all I got in this post is push the fuck out of Cena and don't care about anything else. All the while try and bait Punk, Orton and Bryan fans. If you wanna help out the WHC picture while helping everything else around Cena grow he needs to have a 08 HHH WWE title on SD type run. To me that was one of the best handling of pushing a main eventer with a title while allowing everything around him have room to breath and grow. Trips being on SD made SD seem more important but he was rarely in the main storyline and didn't have to main event. This is what they need to do with Cena and the WHC. The WWE title situation is set right now long term no need for Cena to fuck with that at all. Just have the man focus on the WHC and make that interesting and the things around it interesting.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
To be fair this isn't the first time that Cena hasn't came back early from his injuries. Yes this is potential danger to him but in reality I think Cena really cares about this company and doesn't want it to flop. I mean I don't know what the PPV buyrates are yet but I can't see them being that great. I know I said before that Cena might be coming back as a one time thing but I'm changing my statement; he's coming back and he will be staying for a while. I doubt it will be full time but with RVD leaving already WWE really needs a solid face.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Trips and Jeff were the main story of SD to Orton happened and then SES got more time. Cena is needed as a reset to the product as a whole. Its a bandage the whole bring Cena back and make paper champions thing.

Punk and Bryan are over in the arena, like Orton, and unlike ADR, but that doesn't mean they are over and help the product totally. Cena having a year plus reign as the undisputed guy and carrier of both brands makes so much sense to restore both divisions credibility. Hs the ultimate target, true face of the company, and everyone knows it. Lets be real here, Orton and Bryan means fuck all to the general public, same with Punk vs anyone in his 400 day reign that wasnt Cena or Rock.

Cena can restore the brands, the titles, and if managed correctly with his match count, its doable for him to carry that load. There is no distant number 2 in this company since Edge and nothing close to a B guy since Dave. There area a bunch of Cs and all stars but no full time superstars with an IT, there's just Cena and everyone else.

So why the hell not make the focus of everyone else chasing the real man? Why not let them chase the guy who sells the tickets, move the merch, and line up on a totem pole to each get their shot for one or two guys to actually go over healthy Cena , clean 12-24 months from now?

Its not a shot, its the truth. Punk failed, Bryan is failing, Orton has failed many times before, and ADR/Dolph well lets just say you have to at least matter to be considered a failure. They hurt the titles, they hurt the shows, and they didnt step the fuck up when given the ball so Cena has always been the safety net who needs to return early, work hurt, or main event while they all get meaningless world title reigns or lengthy stats under their belt which still casuals ignore because they aren't as good as HBK, Edge, Dave, Taker, or Rey .... They're just a bunch of Jerichos trying to fill boots and leeching off the titles credibility in hopes e belt makes them important over them elevating the belt or at least having a symbiotic 50/50 relationship.

Whether people love him or hate him, they all know Cena matters. Cenas matches and feuds matter, beating him at his best (which they have made a point of saying bryan didnt) with no chicanery (see what punks never done) really fucking matters. Cenas words even when its goofy shit like poopy still goes over better than some of these cats talking real shit and trying to drop the word bitch to get a reaction.

You got a better plan than Cena being the guy? Not an idealist plan, but a business plan that makes logical and economic real world sense to say don't place Cena on the throne and make everyone chase him after a Super Run? A better payoff?

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Trips and Jeff were the main story of SD to Orton happened and then SES got more time. Cena is needed as a reset to the product as a whole. Its a bandage the whole bring Cena back and make paper champions thing.

Punk and Bryan are over in the arena, like Orton, and unlike ADR, but that doesn't mean they are over and help the product totally. Cena having a year plus reign as the undisputed guy and carrier of both brands makes so much sense to restore both divisions credibility. Hs the ultimate target, true face of the company, and everyone knows it. Lets be real here, Orton and Bryan means fuck all to the general public, same with Punk vs anyone in his 400 day reign that wasnt Cena or Rock.

Cena can restore the brands, the titles, and if managed correctly with his match count, its doable for him to carry that load. There is no distant number 2 in this company since Edge and nothing close to a B guy since Dave. There area a bunch of Cs and all stars but no full time superstars with an IT, there's just Cena and everyone else.

So why the hell not make the focus of everyone else chasing the real man? Why not let them chase the guy who sells the tickets, move the merch, and line up on a totem pole to each get their shot for one or two guys to actually go over healthy Cena , clean 12-24 months from now?

Its not a shot, its the truth. Punk failed, Bryan is failing, Orton has failed many times before, and ADR/Dolph well lets just say you have to at least matter to be considered a failure. They hurt the titles, they hurt the shows, and they didnt step the fuck up when given the ball so Cena has always been the safety net who needs to return early, work hurt, or main event while they all get meaningless world title reigns or lengthy stats under their belt which still casuals ignore because they aren't as good as HBK, Edge, Dave, Taker, or Rey .... They're just a bunch of Jerichos trying to fill boots and leeching off the titles credibility in hopes e belt makes them important over them elevating the belt or at least having a symbiotic 50/50 relationship.

Whether people love him or hate him, they all know Cena matters. Cenas matches and feuds matter, beating him at his best (which they have made a point of saying bryan didnt) with no chicanery (see what punks never done) really fucking matters. Cenas words even when its goofy shit like poopy still goes over better than some of these cats talking real shit and trying to drop the word bitch to get a reaction.

You got a better plan than Cena being the guy? Not an idealist plan, but a business plan that makes logical and economic real world sense to say don't place Cena on the throne and make everyone chase him after a Super Run? A better payoff?
It's not so much you taking shots as you're just biased as fuck and want WWE to depend on the past forever and say fuck anything long term. You're one of those nothing will ever be better than it was type guys. I've yet to see you come up with anything where it actually benefited the company long term beyond Cena. With your plan it is basically Cena and part time guys and if they are gone shut down the whole company cause we ignored everything else. It wasn't like I was saying fuck Cena push the fuck out of Bryan, Punk and Orton. I was saying Cena is pretty much the biggest name no matter what he's doing. He doesn't have to be in your face all the time always in the main event to be that he's Hulk Hogan level now. I could go into a long diatribe why Punk didn't "fail" but will just simply say to be successful is go further than you were before. If he failed he wouldn't have got a chance to be the number 2 guy next to Cena. If you were basing his being successful on some unrealistic idea that he had to become so big to the point where he replaced Cena as THE guy in WWE is unfair to Punk. And Bryan's push is too fresh right now to deem a failure things like they are doing with Bryan takes time.

But anyways hopefully this thread stays about the situation with Cena returning and WWE and not get somehow shifted to a thread about "Punk, Orton Bryan you fail all hail Cena" topic. You talking about me coming up with a payoff when you didn't come up with one. Cena holding both world titles at the same time is the biggest overkill I've ever heard you come up with. Dale pretty much said it very well when he said just cause Cena has the belt and beats everybody doesn't mean it does anything for anybody. Cena just out of the blue coming into a random ass WHC match with Del Rio is obviously them wanting Cena back but in a more low key manor rather than your idea of Cenamania cause you don't like anybody else.

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
No I want them to have a future worth a damn and the current crop forcing channel changes screws with that.

Cena is the necessary evil. I respect, not overly like but respect him. He is the best in the world at his profession no denying that, and he's been the best in the world onnthe biggest stage for closer to a decade. At some point he earned that and deserved to be looked at and treated as such.

. Lets just lay it on the table. Randy is a 10x champ, has two strikes that's been overlooked, been part of evolution, led Legacy, and he still to this day can't draw as every reign he has ever had has dropped ratings. Punk has led Nexus, led SES, been given two mitb cases, been given Heyman, been world champ, been wwe champ for over 400 days, and he still can't keep an audience. Next up there's ADR, brought in to draw like Rey, but he plays a poor versions of Mexican JBL and can't get a reaction or loyal viewers to sd like the master of the 619 after multiple world titles. There's Dolphwho looks like a discount Billy Gunn, shakes his ass, and has been given two world titles yet can't amount to anything. None of them are 2nds, none of them are Bs, they are all Cs and second tier to part timers and Cena; the reasons part timers have to return to cover their ass and put money in their pockets and paying viewers on them ppvs. Bryan is been given a reset but Shows a more important player to casuals than him, and the same fans chanting Yes are the same ones who helped drop the buyrate on the biggest ppv match of his life, the same ones who didnt support him and why he lost in 18 secs at mania, and the same ones who didnt even care when he was mr mitb until he was screwed; fair weathers who are too cool to truly back him outside a silly chant.

I don't want to hear guys haven't been given a damn shot. They've all been given damn shots. Edge was given a ball with the Rated R and later Ultimate Opportunist gimmicks. He didnt look back and became the man who carried SD post Dave to the point he didnt need guys without titles to main event his show for him. Batista was given the ball and he became as close to Cenas fucking equal as there ever was, he main evented ppvs, mania, sold out arenas, and elevated himself across the Bord while carrying the titles and whatever brand he was on. Rey became a multiple time world champ, a draw, a main event player the likes of which WCW never would dream of. They are the difference between a group of guys having the It factor and a group guys who aren't true superstars, trying to mascara die as upper echelon. No excuses, they got given a shot, took it, and made the most of it period, point blank.

Cena for every thing annoying about him, and that's mostly his promo or goofy shit he pulls when they give him these jokes to deal with, helps more than he ever hurts. He carries the company, he puts the asses in seats, viewers on TV, and makes every match electric and credible. A prolonged run carrying the prestige of both brands which both need him and both titles who guys like Punk, Bryan, Dolph, and Del Rio have devalued has far more benefit than trying to make other guys matter or act like they are something they aren't, which is a true star. Cena carrying the title undisputed champ for a year or two while beating all challengers who come after him hard is huge. The guy who beats him at his best and clean is made, not like Bryan beating a hurt Cena or Punk never beating the guy clean in their whole feud,mouth truly 1, 2, 3 in the middle of the ring for the strap after he's spent so much time as the guy and establishing he's the standard and those belts are better than the us and IC straps (which they aren't right now).

Cena to me is the reset button, if you go all in and use him like its 05 as opposed to the watered down bandage way he's been used to cover for these guys who have been handed a title in the hope it can make them the last couple years.

Simple and plain, Cenas return is appreciated and needed. You don't know what you have until its gone, and its clear the rest of the full time roster ain't much without him as the backbone, bunch of AJ Styles types with bloated resumes to hide they ain't shit

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
WWE panicking because they're top faces are drawing flies instead of eyeballs. Calling up a guy who would just rip his arm off and use a mannequin arm to work. Good matchup, Cena gets sympathy facing a guy who uses a cross armbreaker and he came off an arm injury. ADR would finally get some heat with an actual wrestler and not a manager.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
WWE panicking because they're top faces are drawing flies instead of eyeballs. Calling up a guy who would just rip his arm off and use a mannequin arm to work. Good matchup, Cena gets sympathy facing a guy who uses a cross armbreaker and he came off an arm injury. ADR would finally get some heat with an actual wrestler and not a manager.
That's true too, could be a good story if ADR was more natural delivering a promo. He should look up some Kurt Angle I will break his freaking ankle promos.

I think Cena is chip one. Rey, Booker, RVD, Taker, Kane, Brock, Jericho, and Sheamus returning will follow in the coming months, possibly Rock too.