Billboard's top earner in music 2013 is.....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Taylor Swift has returned to the top of Billboard's annual list of music money makers, a title she held in 2012 only to relinquish last year to Madonna.

The 24-year-old earned $39.7m (£23.8m) in 2013 from a combination of music sales, royalties and touring, according to the trade publication.

Country star Kenny Chesney rose three places to second place, while Justin Timberlake came third.

Rock acts Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones round out this year's top five.

Swift's global Red Tour helped her top the money makers, with six months in the US bringing in an estimated $30m (£17.9m).

The tour also boasted three sponsorship deals which, along with merchandise, were not included in the tally due to a lack of data, but was estimated to be in the high seven figures according to Billboard.

Swift's album sales were eighth in the list of best-selling records in the US last year, while she had 10 million US downloads and came fifth in streaming royalties.

The study compiled data from Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen BDS and Billboard Boxscore, using standard fees and formulas to work out royalties or management fees.

For live shows they credited each artist with 34% of their box office sales, the amount typically left after subtracting touring costs.

Country star Chesney enjoyed his seventh chart-topping album in 2013, while Timberlake received a rapturous welcome back from fans after a seven-year break from music, earning him $31.5m (£18.8m).

Top 10 music money makers 2013

Taylor Swift - $39.7m
Kenny Chesney - $32.9m
Justin Timberlake - $31.5m
Bon Jovi - $29.4m
Rolling Stones - $26.2m
Beyonce - $24.4m
Maroon 5 - $22.3m
Luke Bryan- $22.1m
Pink - $20m
Fleetwood Mac - $19m
Source: Billboard

The 20/20 Experience was his first album since 2006, with strong digital sales. His Legends of the Summer tour with Jay Z generated $60m (£35.9m) from just 12 shows but his solo tour also generated $43m (£25.7m).

Beyonce's surprise album at the end of the year earned her sixth place in the money makers list, while her mammoth 132-date Mrs Carter Show world tour ranked eighth in Billboard's top 25 tours of 2013 - the US leg alone earning her $19.9m (£11.9m).

Adam Levine's mentor role on the US version of The Voice will not have hurt his earning potential, but it was his band Maroon 5's touring revenue that secured them seventh place, with $22.3m (£13.3m).

Their live shows contributed more than $17.6m (£10.5), while One More Night was just one of the year's top 10 singles, spending nine consecutive weeks at number one on the Hot 100 chart.

Country star Luke Bryan ($22.1m, £13.2m), Pink ($20m, £11.96m) and Fleetwood Mac ($19.1m, £11.42m) completed Billboard's top 10 money makers, ranked by their US earnings.

The rest of the top 40 featured a wide variety of acts from British folk-rockers Mumford and Sons to the reformed New Kids on the Block, rappers Kanye West, Jay-Z and Eminem, Rihanna, Justin Bieber and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

The study also revealed Celine Dion, in 23rd place, raked in $11.8m (£7m) performing in just one room, 60 times.

Her residency at Las Vegas hotel Caesars Palace was boosted by another million from her first English-language album in 6 years, Loved Me Back to Life, which reached number two in the chart.

BBC

Honestly, this isn't just an excuse to post a Taylor news story :lol:

Massive money in the country scene, just shows there's a lot more to making money in the music biz than just churning out one successful single. All of these are established acts who have spent years building up a fan base to get to this point, especially bands like the Stones, Fleetwood & Bon Jovi.

Castiel

Reaction score
I hate that it was her just because you and Blazy love her.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
JT is always earning, what a don.

Luke Bryan is pretty good too, not clue who Kenny Chesney is though.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Why you gotta be so mean?

Surprised you'd have heard of Bryan & not Chesney.
I stumbled across Bryan a bit ago while listening to Keith Urban, I like quite a few of his songs.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I stumbled across Bryan a bit ago while listening to Keith Urban, I like quite a few of his songs.

again, surprised you haven't heard of Chesney. He's a pretty big name in country, quite strange that you've heard of all these other guys and missed one of its biggest stars.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
again, surprised you haven't heard of Chesney. He's a pretty big name in country, quite strange that you've heard of all these other guys and missed one of its biggest stars.
What are his biggest songs?

I might have heard them but not known they were by him.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
What are his biggest songs?

I might have heard them but not known they were by him.

Not massively knowledgeable on the chap but his most popular songs on Vevo are "There Goes My Life", "Come Over" & "The Boys Of Fall".

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Bon Jovi still earning big.

Swinny

Reaction score
Kenny Chesney's really still that big?

Great to see Fleetwood Mac still kicking ass though.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Love seeing Taylor at the top, and seeing Kenny and Luke on it also is quite awesome. Some big bands up there and to beat them is pretty good for anyone, hell to just be on a list with them is pretty big so congrats to all on the list.