Big Announcement aka the WWE Network

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Last edited:
Reactions: SAIYANS

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
- WWE's Michael Weitz, George Barrios and Vince McMahon held a conference call to discuss the WWE Network this morning. You can download a PDF with WWE's full Network overview at this link. Here are some highlights from the call:

* Vince thanked their investors for bearing with WWE over the years because it's taken them time to get the formula for the Network right. Vince says through exhaustive research, they have came up with the right model, the right formula and at the right time.

* Vince says WWE is not advocates of anyone "cutting the cord", apparently referring to pay-per-view and cable companies. Vince says they are offering an alternative to WWE fans. Vince says he was misquoted before but doesn't elaborate.

* WWE is hoping to turn fans of the Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin eras into fans of the current product with the Network. They believe the Network will increase TV ratings. Vince says what's good for WWE is good for everyone.

* George Barrios speaks next about some of the business aspects of the Network. Barrios mentioned sponsorship and marketing opportunities that the Network would bring. Most of what he said has already been covered over the past week.

* In the second quarter of 2014, they will focus on rolling out new content and the Network on other platforms. By the end of 2014, they hope to have more than 1 million subscribers and in late 2014 or early 2015 they plan to launch the Network in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Nordic countries.

* Vince says RAW is live and replaying their content on the Network won't hurt their TV ratings and deals because of that. Vince says that live value means a lot. USA Network officials also believe the Network will increase their TV ratings.

* The one week free trial at launch will go along with some unique marketing ideas they have. The trial won't run during a pay-per-view week.

* Vince is hopeful cable and pay-per-view providers will continue to provide WWE content as they have. Barrios didn't want to speak on the recent statement from DirecTV but says WWE will work with these companies to continue as they have.

* In theory, a WWE fan could spend $60, get 6 months of pay-per-views including WrestleMania and then just cancel, only spending $60 and getting lots of content. WWE is confident they will keep subscriptions renewing. Barrios can't believe once fans get a taste of the Network that they will back out.

* They are open to pre-paying annually for the Network at a discount. Fans will also be able to give Network subscriptions as a gift.

Lots of notes from the conference call, best is you can get an early bird special if you pay for all 12 months at once

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^They didn't officially announce the early-bird special yet, just that they're open to it.

What I gathered is that Vince wants to hit 1M subscribers in year 1... a number I think he may shatter based on the feedback from fans aged in the 20-50 range who are excited about a vault release of their favorite content. Then we will probably see the earlybird specials to save maybe a dollar a month if you subscribe for a year.

I'm also intrigued by the nugget about a fan possibly paying for the 6 months, getting Mania, and then cancelling. I'm sure very few people would actually do that, but I like that WWE actually acknowledges that possibility and I'm sure Vince's pockets wouldn't complain if someone were dumb enough to do that.

Regardless, I'm amazed at just how much WWE invested into the fans with the Network. It could have just been a cable/dish on-demand package & channel... but they've gone way above and beyond for much cheaper than it should actually be worth. Theoretically, they could ask double what they are and still save fans money. For all the things fans accuse Vince and the E of being selfish of, this is clearly their response, and they're winning with it.

I hope after the launch, barring any kind of technical setback, that Vince is able to sit back and get himself together after all the rumors of him being ill and run down. It's clear he has been directly involved in the Network and I'm sure he has been far busier than we would assume in the past 18 months. And I hope the fans subscribe en masse to show their appreciation of what he has done for them.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Love to hear all the news about this Network and it's getting me so pumped to be able to get it, then I realise i've gotta wait near a year to get it.

:henry3::mickie6::vince:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Big E wants to give her something alright lol. But yeah add Total Divas to the lineup now

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
file_240295_0_key_art_wwe_nxtsmall-79x75.jpg

WWE NXT head trainer Bill DeMott posted the following Tweet, hinting at the return of Tough Enough.

While he did not make mention of Tough Enough specifically, Vince McMahon noted at the WWE Network announcement in Las Vegas that reality TV would be part of the programming aired on the WWE Network, so it's reasonable to assume that Tough Enough might be one of the reality shows to which Vince was referring.

Bill DeMott ✔ @BillDeMottFollow
This can only mean one thing....... Who thinks they are #ToughEnough
6:36 PM - 14 Jan 2014

Would like TE if it was similar of he last season on USA. It would make for a good seasonal replacement for when Total Divas and Legends House are off

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Edit - wrong topic

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Would like TE if it was similar of he last season on USA. It would make for a good seasonal replacement for when Total Divas and Legends House are off

The way I understood it it's all on demand like House of Cards on Netflix so no seasons

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Ah a schedule like TV with on demand. Nice and different. Really want them to get Live Raw and SD on there. I mean technically if they aired the same commercials that USA sales USA could jack up prices a tad and not really lose too much on the deal.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Also they do a pre show a post show what the hell do the air during?

Reactions: SAIYANS

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
That's not been said, but it does need to be addressed. I guess its like a running app presentation or something. No one has even thought to ask tha publicly, even with the meeting today.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
USA will never, as long as they have a deal, hand over the contracted rights to RAW, and WWE does not want to take the product off of television strictly for the app.

Also, live content will air... NXT will be live, as will PPV's... so I don't know why you assumed there wouldn't be live material.

What I understood was that they would have 24/7 live streaming shows.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I really want the old Heat archive; in fact I want them to replace ppv kicks with basically Sunday Night Heat on the night of a ppv

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^ONLY if we get a random occasion where the major title can be defended on Heat a-la Mankind vs. The Rock