Best Wrestler Today

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

G 3

Reaction score
Are you seriously trying to tell me SHAWN MICHAELS needs someone to carry him?????

Go away

Yeah because wrestlers don't get old or anything like that.

And enzo I guess having a different opinion makes me a troll right?

[YT]n9sg4rscFtk[/YT]

Did you see him hold his back bridge with Joe on top of him? That takes strength for such a small guy. You guys need stop watching the E and watch some wrestling.

Reaction score
YES, Mistico was one of my first choices even though Lucha's not my main thang. Tanahashi's the best draw and a great worker in his own right, but i'd still put him behind 'Fuji, KENTA, and probably Kawada and Akiyama still.

As far as the states goes, i'd pick Samoa Joe. As far as top stars go, he can't be penalised for "Not drawing" as he's been booked so horribly he couldn't even do that. I agree with Chess that he's been underrated of late, but he'll get a little more hype if TNA doesn't screw him up going forward.

Others i'd say are up there, either of The Guns, Sheamus and Evan Bourne deserve mention, along with most of the others mentioned before. Probably not Daniel Bryan.

EDIT: I didn't think the Taker/HBK matches were that great. (WM26 was better though) and I find both of them pretty overrated around here as wrestlers. :/

I know you're more up to date on puro than I am, but how can you put freakin KENTA above Hash!?!?!?! He's nice, but he's a mid card player and isn't half as good as Hash in the ring. I dunno about Marufuiji or Akiyama either. And Kawada is so far past his prime, I dunno. Share some thoughts.

R.e Taker and HBK: Please tell me how they're over rated. HBK is bar none the greatest North American worker since Flair was the last true World's Champ. He's incredibly versatile, has the psychology that every single young guy, sans Danielson MAYBE, lacks and he is one of the greatest mic workers ever. Plus maybe one or two people in the history of the sport could bump like Michaels. And Taker, if anything, he is terribly under rated here. This is a guy who is 6'10, 300lbs and he reached his prime from his late 30s to mid 40's. Fucking incredible. And he doesn't get his just respect.The only other person to be half as good as Taker was at that size at that age was Baba. And I don't know how people hate on Taker-HBK, that match was tits. And it wasn't "laying on eachother", it had more emotion than any match in the states this year by the circumference of the fat chick from Precious.Plus, MDK tombstone! MOTY by FARRRRR.

And enzo I guess having a different opinion makes me a troll right?

No, making empty, contradictory statements makes you a troll. Do you even realize that you called Taker-HBK @ Mania "30 minutes of laying on eachother" but call Danielson the greatest wrestler going today? Have you ever watched a Danielson match? Dude almost never leaves the mat unless he's working a Necro or Homicide. And I've watched more wrestling than you know. I grew up in the 80's and was brought up with the greatest wrestling ever, muthafuckin SOUTHERN. I was exposed to great NWA and absolutely schooled in World Class. Real good wrestling.

RoH isn't good wrestling. It's a poor mans puro built and marketed specifically to smarks that THINK they know what elite wrestling is. It's a FACADE and too manufactured to be good wrestling. That's why it will never go any further than it has and they have gradually stepped away from their old formula of manufacturing 5 star matches and switched models to a more traditional wrestling company because as fun as the matches were, it wasn't working. How often has Punk worked his RoH style in WWE? Never. And he's a million times more successful than the RoH promotion ever will be. Good wrestling involves a hell of alot more than cool moves, stiff kicks and high spots. It involves freaking emotion, psychology, facials and crowd control. Taker and HBK have that more in one nut than the entire RoH roster have combined. And that's why guys like Bourne only get OOHHS and AAHHHSS when they hit high spots, and why RoH guys can only pop smark crowds that are anti WWE, because they can't keep the general audience entertained by working. There's a big difference. And that's why Taker and HBK, past their 40's, were headlining the biggest show of the year, in front of of 65,000+ and kept the audience entertained while Danielson or any RoH worker has never worked in front of more than 1500 smark fans. It's a niche product for a niche crowd.

Want to go see some really, honest to goodness wrestling, get into puro, that's everything RoH ever pretended to be, except it isn't pretend. If not, go find a good tape trader and get some old school shit. Go find some Midnight Express, go find some Freebirds-Von Erichs, go find some prime Flair, prime Horsemen, some early cruiser shit, Guerrero-Malenko from ECW. Don't go tell me to watch wrestling when you're watching a manufactured facade. "OMG, he can do a backbridge with a pudgy Samoan on him. Heez the gr8st ever!" Pfftttt....

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
KENTA isn't as big in status at all, neither is 'Fuji. But it's not fair to compare that especially in this context for 2 reasons.

A. NJ KILLS NOAH when it comes to recognition and drawing power, 8 days a week. Not even Kawada/Akiyama/Kensuke makes a dent on NJPW right now, it's pretty much like WWE/TNA in Japan.

B. Jr. Heavys have never drawn flies when it comes to the big time places like the Budokan, Marufuji's GHC Heavyweight reign (While hindered by terrible booking) flopped, despite him being arguably their most popular guy at the time. The Jap fan perception is heavily tilted towards Heavys, even moreso than NA promoters

Based on pure wrestling, I give KENTA a (very) slight edge over Tanahashi.

I won't get into Taker/HBK much now, as i'll be able to say more when I get on a PC tomorrow. But I will say that I thought their WM matches were way spotty, Taker is a HoF'er but I find his presence now to be a mixed bag and well...lets just say i've never cared for HBK. >_>

Agreed with Enzo on RoH though.

Reaction score
I thought the first WM HBK-Taker match was more spotty. The leg selling with Taker was awesome and Shawn moonsaulting the leg through a table was the perfect blend of spot and psychology, absolutely sick.

R.e Puro: Hasn't NOAH been in a downward spiral since Misawa's death? I hear they've missed so many ships the past year, Fuji's title reign included and have terribly mismanaged Kawada and Kensuke.

The thing about Jap heavys is that they really aren't all that heavy. Morishima is like the fattest Jap and he is like Joe size. But so many heavys can work a fast, junior-type style anyways.

Also, heard Kensuke is going to go back to All-Japan to join the Veteran Army. Know anything about this?

G 3

Reaction score
No, making empty, contradictory statements makes you a troll. Do you even realize that you called Taker-HBK @ Mania "30 minutes of laying on eachother" but call Danielson the greatest wrestler going today? Have you ever watched a Danielson match? Dude almost never leaves the mat unless he's working a Necro or Homicide. And I've watched more wrestling than you know. I grew up in the 80's and was brought up with the greatest wrestling ever, muthafuckin SOUTHERN. I was exposed to great NWA and absolutely schooled in World Class. Real good wrestling.

RoH isn't good wrestling. It's a poor mans puro built and marketed specifically to smarks that THINK they know what elite wrestling is. It's a FACADE and too manufactured to be good wrestling. That's why it will never go any further than it has and they have gradually stepped away from their old formula of manufacturing 5 star matches and switched models to a more traditional wrestling company because as fun as the matches were, it wasn't working. How often has Punk worked his RoH style in WWE? Never. And he's a million times more successful than the RoH promotion ever will be. Good wrestling involves a hell of alot more than cool moves, stiff kicks and high spots. It involves freaking emotion, psychology, facials and crowd control. Taker and HBK have that more in one nut than the entire RoH roster have combined. And that's why guys like Bourne only get OOHHS and AAHHHSS when they hit high spots, and why RoH guys can only pop smark crowds that are anti WWE, because they can't keep the general audience entertained by working. There's a big difference. And that's why Taker and HBK, past their 40's, were headlining the biggest show of the year, in front of of 65,000+ and kept the audience entertained while Danielson or any RoH worker has never worked in front of more than 1500 smark fans. It's a niche product for a niche crowd.

Nice job on the huge wall. Oh I see your problem enzo. You're thinking of sports entertainment, not wrestling. Let me guess, you're the "it's still real to me guy" are you not?

Now, on to ROH. ROH is not a puro rip off. It does have some puro influences but definitely not a rip off. I think the reason you hate ROH is because they can put on actual wrestling shows without having to have ridiculous storylines to draw in the little kids. And, I need no introduction, some of my favorites are from Japan like Nagata and Marufuji. I'm not sure if you've seen a ROH show based on you comparing their styles to ROH as a whole.

Reaction score
^^^Stop trolling, G3, you smelly stoner. You can't build a wall with hemp, but you're trying. Did you not read any damn thing I read or is the reisen clogging your cognative faculties? Good freakin lord, you bolded exactly why guys like Michaels and Taker kill RoH and their product. If you are interested in only freakin spots and redundant, tedious "mat wrestling" if they want to call it that, then you must be an RoH fanboy and know nothing about or care about wrestling. It's too staged to be good wrestling, no emotion, no psychology. Just "holy shit" and "this is wrestling" chant built wrestling for smarks that don't realize the irony in what they are being catered. And like I said, I grew up watching REAL, GOOD wrestling. Crockett, World Class, all that good shit. I'm from Texas, a state that is probably the greatest wrestling state. I know what I'm talking about when I'm talking about good wrestling. Dudes that could keep the fans interested with a sleeper and eye gouges better than head dropping and acrobatic flips, thats fuckin cheap heat for guys who don't know how to work. Cena can out work any of those guys, he can keep the fans interested in his matches because he has more feel for how to entertain the audience. And that's what wrestling is. Staying entertained for the entire duration of the match, not for stupid suplex variations or too easy to read "chain wrestling".

Like I said, want to go see some good wrestlers, actually wrestling?
Check out: Midnight Express tag matches or Bobby Eaton vs. Flair from 91 Clash of Champs
Steamboat
Rock and Roll Express, especially Ricky Morton
HBK
Austin in 2001
Arn fuckin Anderson
Tully Blanchard-sick fucking heel
Gino Hernandez
Chris Adams
prime Barry Windham

That's just a few of the greats I was brought up with. I can give you essential matches from everyone listed. Go hit something other than the bong before you try and pass off a facade as good wrestling. If it were that good they'd have a better tv deal and larger audiences instead of being a niche product for marks like you.

RC Styles

Reaction score
^^^Stop trolling, G3, you smelly stoner. You can't build a wall with hemp, but you're trying. Did you not read any damn thing I read or is the reisen clogging your cognative faculties? Good freakin lord, you bolded exactly why guys like Michaels and Taker kill RoH and their product. If you are interested in only freakin spots and redundant, tedious "mat wrestling" if they want to call it that, then you must be an RoH fanboy and know nothing about or care about wrestling. It's too staged to be good wrestling, no emotion, no psychology. Just "holy shit" and "this is wrestling" chant built wrestling for smarks that don't realize the irony in what they are being catered. And like I said, I grew up watching REAL, GOOD wrestling. Crockett, World Class, all that good shit. I'm from Texas, a state that is probably the greatest wrestling state. I know what I'm talking about when I'm talking about good wrestling. Dudes that could keep the fans interested with a sleeper and eye gouges better than head dropping and acrobatic flips, thats fuckin cheap heat for guys who don't know how to work. Cena can out work any of those guys, he can keep the fans interested in his matches because he has more feel for how to entertain the audience. And that's what wrestling is. Staying entertained for the entire duration of the match, not for stupid suplex variations or too easy to read "chain wrestling".

Like I said, want to go see some good wrestlers, actually wrestling?
Check out: Midnight Express tag matches or Bobby Eaton vs. Flair from 91 Clash of Champs
Steamboat
Rock and Roll Express, especially Ricky Morton
HBK
Austin in 2001
Arn fuckin Anderson
Tully Blanchard-sick fucking heel
Gino Hernandez
Chris Adams
prime Barry Windham

That's just a few of the greats I was brought up with. I can give you essential matches from everyone listed. Go hit something other than the bong before you try and pass off a facade as good wrestling. If it were that good they'd have a better tv deal and larger audiences instead of being a niche product for marks like you.

HBK pwns everyone in your list, even austin 2001

noumenon

Reaction score
Chris Jericho. I don't think I need to go into a long winded explanation do I?

I also think Undertaker is vastly under rated. The guy can still go better than most in the business and remains just about the most over person in all of wrestling at this point. He's got every nuance of the business worked out perfectly and I've yet to see many people he doesn't work well with in the ring. Taker always gets respect for being Taker...but never for being a wrestler.

Airfixx

Reaction score
I believe a cena fanboy is entitled to think cena is superman and all so I won't touch that.

Now onto Danielson. I don't know how the fans in attendance really determine who the best at wrestling is. They may add to the storyline driven wrestling so many people are used to. However, when people want to see real wrestling they watch guys like Bryan Danielson. It doesn't matter if any fans are there, it's all about the actual wrestling.

LOL @ "Real" wrestling.... The purpose of every headlock, suplex, slam or high spot etc. is TO TELL A STORY.... Twat.

Maybe you should try and substantiate your original claim that Cena is repeatedly carried in his matches rather than concocting some embarrasing, bullshit notion about what REAL wrestling is....?

ThophyRof

Reaction score
For the poll, the question was succesfull...has to be Edge...i would have gone with either HBK or Hart, but Edge has been more succesfull with all the titles he has won...The best wrestler from a tag team...has to be HBK...he went from being in a tag team that didnt win anything to such a huge star...maybe not winning as many titles, but putting on a great performance every match...

ThophyRof

Reaction score
For the poll, the question was succesfull...has to be Edge...i would have gone with either HBK or Hart, but Edge has been more succesfull with all the titles he has won...The best wrestler from a tag team...has to be HBK...he went from being in a tag team that didnt win anything to such a huge star...maybe not winning as many titles, but putting on a great performance every match...

The RKO Disciple

Reaction score
hands down, Sheamus by far the best in today's wrestling industry, although hes in the "PG Realm", he is many things that make a wrestler stand out, he has the Mic skills, and he is good at what he does.

Colon91

Reaction score
HHH, undertaker, kurt angle, jericho, christian. Christian and jericho may not be the marquee guys in their company, but jericho is the most talented mic guy in the wwe, and can pull of face and heel equally well, and Christian proved in TNA how he can do both. He's got everything and needs a push in the wwe, and not the intercontinental title a wwe or world heavyweight title. I wouldnt be too surprised to see him win the money in the bank match at the ppv