Best Wrestler Today

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

G 3

Reaction score
And yes, John Cena is in this discussion. No one on this side of the globe has had as many good main event matches as this guy.

I think you're trying to say no one has been carried through main events as many times as him.

The best wrestler today is Bryan Danielson. It's not even arguable. Bryan Danielson's skills are second to none.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Cena? Carried? Who carried Cena?

Enzo was spot on, Cena has carried some lack luster in ring talent in some decent main events (Khali, Lashley etc.) not to mention other than Benoit, some of Orton's best matches imo were against Cena. I am not a fan of Cena's character but he is pretty damn amazing in the ring. He may not have 50,000 moves or anything but who does nowadays? Even Jericho, who I picked as best in the world doesn't have the extremelt elaborate moveset he once had. It's all how you use what you have.

Reaction score
I think you're trying to say no one has been carried through main events as many times as him.

The best wrestler today is Bryan Danielson. It's not even arguable. Bryan Danielson's skills are second to none.

Good lord. Yup, because guys like Lashley, Batista and Orton are known ring generals. :pain:

People need to can the Cena hate about his wrestling skills. Don't like his character. Fine. Think he is stale. Ok. That can be defended. You can't defend the lame "he can't wrestle, he only has five moves" bullshit. Not with a track record like his. And he's never been carried and having that many great matches doesn't happen by accident. Cena is probably the third best worker behind Jericho and Rey. Yes, Rey. He's been involved with so many great matches with so many different people, that now that I think about it, he'd be ranked over Jericho if he could cut a decent promo.

R.e Bryan Danielson: How many main event matches has he done in front of crowds bigger than 1,000 people? Howabout ZERO. Being a draw has something to do with being a great worker.

But if we're talking about worldwide and considering the mass ignorance to the Puro landscape, I'd say a guy like Hiroshi Tanahashi or Mistico could easily be in the top 3. Nobody on the planet works more than Mistico because he's in such high demand and Hash is the ace of aces in Japan.

So I guess a top five would be (in no order): Cena, Tanahashi, Mistico, Jericho, Rey. Something like that. Danielson, he's nice, but hasn't drawn the proverbial dime to be discussed.

G 3

Reaction score
R.e Bryan Danielson: How many main event matches has he done in front of crowds bigger than 1,000 people? Howabout ZERO. Being a draw has something to do with being a great worker.

But if we're talking about worldwide and considering the mass ignorance to the Puro landscape, I'd say a guy like Hiroshi Tanahashi or Mistico could easily be in the top 3. Nobody on the planet works more than Mistico because he's in such high demand and Hash is the ace of aces in Japan.

So I guess a top five would be (in no order): Cena, Tanahashi, Mistico, Jericho, Rey. Something like that. Danielson, he's nice, but hasn't drawn the proverbial dime to be discussed.

I believe a cena fanboy is entitled to think cena is superman and all so I won't touch that.

Now onto Danielson. I don't know how the fans in attendance really determine who the best at wrestling is. They may add to the storyline driven wrestling so many people are used to. However, when people want to see real wrestling they watch guys like Bryan Danielson. It doesn't matter if any fans are there, it's all about the actual wrestling. And plus the crowd at a smaller indy show is usually better than a WWE show with a bunch of 10 year old cena fanboys, actually you might enjoy yourself quite well.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
So what makes A "good" wrestling match in your opinion? Not knocking what you said or anything but just curious.

To me storylines make matches mean that much more, take the Taker/HBK match from WM, it was a great match, no doubt about it but as a standalone match it wasn't nearly as emotional and exciting. It was the drama and storyline behind the match that kept me ob the edge of my seat tbh. The Streak VS The Career. The historical implications and storyline were moreso what made that match rather than the actual match itself.

Storylines are what makes wrestling as entertaining as it is, wrestling for the sake of wrestling can be pretty boring at times, much like MMA or Boxing. Both of which I do like to watch, but there is only so much you can watch without getting bored. Whereas I could watch wrestling for hours at a time without getting bored.

G 3

Reaction score
Taker VS Shaw Michaels was boring to me. It was basically 30 minutes of them laying ontop of each other in the ring. Neither one of them can really do good in a match unless there is someone better. So when you put them together, it's less than entertaining, and the ppv buyrates really show it. I believe a good wrestler shouldn't use a fireman's carry for a finisher.

chessarmy

Reaction score
Samoa Joe, he's back to being the badass that just breaks his opponents in half and I think only the best is ahead of him as TNA continues to book him strong. As for wrestling ability, he's severely underrated on here, he can work a good submission game, he can fly, he can work hardcore matches, Joe can do it all as well as cut an awesome high intensity promo when needed.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Taker VS Shaw Michaels was boring to me. It was basically 30 minutes of them laying ontop of each other in the ring. Neither one of them can really do good in a match unless there is someone better. So when you put them together, it's less than entertaining, and the ppv buyrates really show it. I believe a good wrestler shouldn't use a fireman's carry for a finisher.

Yet someone like Kurt Angle, a mat wrestler basically is highly regarded as one of the best in the world (not saying that I think he is, he's far from that)? Same goes for Danielson imo, I am not saying he cannot wrestle, because he can. But it isn't like he is flying around the ring and hitting big spots either. My dislike for Danielson internet-rep thus far has nothing to do with my views on him, because I have in fact checked out the matches that Peep reccomended to me and I have to admit they weren't bad, the match with Nigel being my favorite of the group.

chessarmy

Reaction score

Are you seriously trying to tell me SHAWN MICHAELS needs someone to carry him?????

Go away

Reaction score
I'm certain G3 is a troll. He has an avatar of RoH wrestling and called HBK-Taker boring with them laying on each other and then says Danielson's skills are second to none. Oh the irony.

CMS

Reaction score
I instantly just lose respect for anybody that bashes HBK vs Taker. You can imagine my reaction when he went as far as to say HBK needs to be carried

CMS

Reaction score
BTW, isnt it ironic how he just said money and the amount of fans in attendance isn't important to judge the quality of a match, yet he uses buyrates to try to prove HBK vs Taker was boring.

Reaction score
Did that guy really just say Taker and HBK can't have a good match unless they're put in the ring with a "better talent"!?!?!?!?! ......kill yourself...not even kidding....go find a gun....load it....put it up to your head...and pull the damn trigger because you're obviously of no use to society.

And I'm curious as to who you think would have to "carry" them? Mr. Danielson? Give me a freakin break!

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I'm certain G3 is a troll. He has an avatar of RoH wrestling and called HBK-Taker boring with them laying on each other and then says Danielson's skills are second to none. Oh the irony.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was just me.

But honestly, more so than Danielson's in ring skills I think what I don't like more is the internet reputation and guys like G_3 slurping him like he's the best thing since sliced bread. I think that if I hadn't heard so many 'best in the world' statements about him I could have easily taken to him. That's not to say that he isn't potentially going to interest me, because the last 2/3 weeks of NXT I really started getting interested, and that's what I was waiting for.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Nobody on the planet works more than Mistico because he's in such high demand

YES, Mistico was one of my first choices even though Lucha's not my main thang. Tanahashi's the best draw and a great worker in his own right, but i'd still put him behind 'Fuji, KENTA, and probably Kawada and Akiyama still.

As far as the states goes, i'd pick Samoa Joe. As far as top stars go, he can't be penalised for "Not drawing" as he's been booked so horribly he couldn't even do that. I agree with Chess that he's been underrated of late, but he'll get a little more hype if TNA doesn't screw him up going forward.

Others i'd say are up there, either of The Guns, Sheamus and Evan Bourne deserve mention, along with most of the others mentioned before. Probably not Daniel Bryan.

EDIT: I didn't think the Taker/HBK matches were that great. (WM26 was better though) and I find both of them pretty overrated around here as wrestlers. :/