Being Stiff in the Ring: Why?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

McFly...

Reaction score
I thought of this question today. We hear and see instances where wrestlers are stiff in the ring. Stan Hansen is one of them. Vader is another example. What Iam wondering is why? Why stiff somebody else in the ring? The wrestlers bodies already take a toll from all of the bumps and chair shots already. I can understand accidents but to stiff somebody else in the ring just because you can to welcome a rookie or something, is something I can't understand This is their job, this is their livelihood. They have families to feed. They are already putting their life at risk just by doing this sport. Sorry if I'm overreacting, this is just how I feel.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
The answer is obvious as to why, the wrestlers who work stiff want to shake the "it's fake" stigma. Hansen said as much because he was virtually blind and didn't want his matches to look fake and wanted to reward the fans who paid to see him deliver a physical match.

Whether those wrestlers are right, or smart to work that way, is another story.

Except for people like Hardcore Holly and JimBL, they just stiff young guys because those guys are giant assholes.

Montana

Reaction score
The answer is obvious as to why, the wrestlers who work stiff want to shake the "it's fake" stigma. Hansen said as much because he was virtually blind and didn't want his matches to look fake and wanted to reward the fans who paid to see him deliver a physical match.

Whether those wrestlers are right, or smart to work that way, is another story.

Except for people like Hardcore Holly and JimBL, they just stiff young guys because those guys are giant assholes.

Exactly, also local/indy guys like to get noticed, and make a name for themselves, so they will try and wrestle more stiff.

It doesn't make sense for JBL, Hardcore Holly to be stiff once wrestlers reach the WWE.

McFly...

Reaction score
Hansen said as much because he was virtually blind and didn't want his matches to look fake and wanted to reward the fans who paid to see him deliver a physical match.
If he was virtually blind then he shouldn't be wrestling in the first place, right? I can understand trying to not make the matches look fake but come on, you shouldn't be stiffing somebody just because you can't see.

That's what I'm asking, why be like that in the ring?

Reaction score
There's a difference between working stiff and stiffing someone. Hansen and Vader worked stiff but never intentionally hurt anyone. Jbl and Holly stiffed because they were cocksucking assholes who couldn't stand toe to toe with a vader or hansen in a stiff style match.

Reaction score
There's a difference between working stiff and stiffing someone. Hansen and Vader worked stiff but never intentionally hurt anyone. Jbl and Holly stiffed because they were cocksucking assholes who couldn't stand toe to toe with a vader or hansen in a stiff style match.

You're a queer.

Watch the Japan match where they stiffed each other so much they have lasting scars and damage to this day.

Reaction score
^^^And you're a useless, cocksucking pud who tried hitting on a girl through a message board and is constantly the ass of her jokes. Plus you think you're funny and you're anything but and you're stupid enough to believe you're a troll when in actuality it's the feedback a moron like you dictates because you suck.

Buttttt...I have seen the match. What fuckin scars are you talking about? Yah, they stiffed the shit out of each other and Vader's eye popped out. But there is no Sabu-esque scarring "to this day". Know why they stiffed eachother? Because that the style the both worked. 95% of the Japs stiff each other. It's the style there. Stateside, they never intentionally hurt anyone they way JBL or Holly did when they hazed the poor bastards they hazed. But you're too damn stupid to realize that was the initial point I was making.

Reaction score
^^^And you're a useless, cocksucking pud who tried hitting on a girl through a message board and is constantly the ass of her jokes. Plus you think you're funny and you're anything but and you're stupid enough to believe you're a troll when in actuality it's the feedback a moron like you dictates because you suck.

Buttttt...I have seen the match. What fuckin scars are you talking about? Yah, they stiffed the shit out of each other and Vader's eye popped out. But there is no Sabu-esque scarring "to this day". Know why they stiffed eachother? Because that the style the both worked. 95% of the Japs stiff each other. It's the style there. Stateside, they never intentionally hurt anyone they way JBL or Holly did when they hazed the poor bastards they hazed. But you're too damn stupid to realize that was the initial point I was making.

You just typed a very long post in reply. You're welcome. Butthurt much?

Reaction score
How do we know they do it on purpose? Some are just naturally stiff in the ring. I doubt they try to hurt them on purpose. For example, Vader probalby didn't do it on purpose, he is just big and hurts people easily.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Well unless the guy getting taken advantage of visibly reacts to said 'stiffing' then you're not necessarily gonna know. Beyond that this should be a simple concept to grasp.

Candido316

Reaction score
Being stiff, to me, is a must. When I get in the ring I INSIST the guy accross from me goes at it stiff. I dont want a sell something that I am not sure what it is and to oversell a small move looks stupid and makes fans laugh at you. Also, if your stiff, you will never have someone sell a punch that misses by 6 inches, or a kick that a tip toe might catch you with. Basically, pro wrestling is supposed to make fans believe what they are seeing and that is long gone from this sport. It is no longer about drama, build, and reaction, it is all about being flashy at the expense of being believable. I will take a good old fashion stiff match anyday and that is what i want when i am in the ring.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
It's funny, because that's how it's like in Tennessee where i'm at. A lot of the wrestlers I know here work the old-school Memphis style. But my deal is, you don't HAVE to lose those elements to a match. Most of the new school guys in wrestling aren't trained right so it's generally either one or the other, but I know that when you're A. trained by someone with the right mindset, B. Are such a fan to have such a mind. C. Have the God-given athletic talent to do stuff. You can spread your flashy moves out, while still being realistic, and not risk hurting someone. Not directed at you but I'm pretty jaded with some of these "pure workers" going on about stuff being unrealistic, and then working the same style as in the 80's. Now there are plenty of good things about that era that's been lost, but with the TV style with more flash, I think it'd be unrealistic NOT to have more innovative and cool moves in matches, that with proper creativity, can look great and be set up to be perfectly believable.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
*As well as being less risky to perform than a simple series of punches/kicks or a drop toehold.

Also not counting hardcore garbage matches and the like which are a breeding ground for convoluted series of moves I hate, which are not my thing and wish these kinds of matches would eventually get outlawed, but I digress...