Being Stiff in the Ring: Why?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Candido316

Reaction score
It's funny, because that's how it's like in Tennessee where i'm at. A lot of the wrestlers I know here work the old-school Memphis style. But my deal is, you don't HAVE to lose those elements to a match. Most of the new school guys in wrestling aren't trained right so it's generally either one or the other, but I know that when you're A. trained by someone with the right mindset, B. Are such a fan to have such a mind. C. Have the God-given athletic talent to do stuff. You can spread your flashy moves out, while still being realistic, and not risk hurting someone. Not directed at you but I'm pretty jaded with some of these "pure workers" going on about stuff being unrealistic, and then working the same style as in the 80's. Now there are plenty of good things about that era that's been lost, but with the TV style with more flash, I think it'd be unrealistic NOT to have more innovative and cool moves in matches, that with proper creativity, can look great and be set up to be perfectly believable.

Unfortunately, it cant be both with how things are. Simply put, they give you 5 minutes for a match and you cant do those moves and it be realistic, period. When you hit a huge move and the guy has to recover in 15 seconds to do one back because of time restraint, it can NEVER be realistic. I mean, be honest here. Any of the half dozen huge high spots hit in a match should end it, or at the very least make the guy non contention for a few minutes, yet, by some amazing power, after 15 seconds of being almost killed by the move, he has perfectly recovered so well he is now able to do his own equally powerful match(and life ending) move as well. It is a joke to the sport, and I am not trying to be a jerk, I am being honest. You simply cannot build a match in 5-7 minutes on tv, it CANT happen, so isntead of having a match the fans can believe is real, they traded it for the pop of the moves over the drama of a match.

in the 80's on TBS, NWA was 2 hours long. They had a few 1 minute promo sections and multi 10-20 minute matches. I mean, back then whey they had Denny Brown(NWA Jr champion) face Arn Anderson(NWA TV Champion) you didnt know outright that Arn was going to win, because they talked up Denny as a WORLD champion and great wrestler and Arn had time to sell Denny's moves and build drama. In today's matches it is easy to pic which star is gonna win let alone if it is a star vs a jobber like in the 80's. That difference is the realism of the match being more important than the flash of the match. That is lost today and it is why wrestling, as a whole, sucks.