• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bayley is a Terrible Babyface That Should Not be WWE Women’s Champion

Ryan Blade

The Lunatic Fringe
This is a column taken from my website, but I'm posting it here because I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject.

What I witnessed this past Sunday at Fastlane may have blown my mind. We all know that WWE can sometimes be very, very, very, very, very, very idiotic when it comes to their wrestlers, storylines, booking decisions and about anything else that they do. However, what happened at Fastlane will go down in my book as one of the most idiotic decisions WWE has ever made: They had Bayley win the WWE Women's Championship match.

You may be thinking, "But Ryan, just because you can't stand Bayley doesn't mean her winning the match is a terrible decision." Contrary to what you may believe, I agree. I admit that I have a strong dislike for Bayley (and also Sasha Banks, but that's another conversation), but that's just it, my feelings towards Bayley are irrelevant for this conversation. This is a much bigger problem than just how I feel about Bayley, it's about how WWE has completely destroyed a babyface within a matter of weeks.

Before I go into why the Women's Championship match at Fastlane was so destructive in the character of Bayley, let's go back to February 20. It was one week after Bayley (with the help of Sasha Banks) won the Women's Championship. Stephanie McMahon addressed her "tainted victory" and created a scenario where Bayley could shoot up to the next level of babyface-ness (if that's a word), Bayley was given the chance to become a true and pure babyface in WWE. Bayley could've either kept the title and acknowledge that she didn't win it on her own and she's perfectly fine with that, or she could relinquish the title, giving it up, surrendering because she feels so bad about how she didn't win the title with respect and dignity.

Before Bayley gave an answer, Sasha Banks (who need I remind you, is also a babyface) came out and said that what Stephanie was saying was "garbage." Then she proceeded attempting to make the way Bayley won the title look like it was an honorable victory. You may be questioning why and how a babyface could make getting help from an interference look like a respected win. To answer that, Sasha Banks is a special kind of babyface that allows her to say things like that and make such ridiculous claims, it's called being a terrible babyface. This "empowering" speech was given by the same woman who just months ago came out to the ring and did a whole promo teasing a retirement, obviously faking it. A babyface faking a retirement just to say at the end of it that she's getting another championship match, a terrible babyface indeed.

So Bayley is faced with this choice of giving up the WWE Women's Championship, becoming a pure babyface that people can get behind, or keeping it and acknowledging that she didn't win it on her own. Bayley then went on a little speech about how the Women's title should be about competition and not controversy, implying that the right thing to do, for a babyface at least, would be giving up the championship. Bayley followed that up with, in a very annoying and cringe-worthy yelling tone, "Hell no I'm not giving up this Raw Women's Championship!"

That was absolutely the wrong decision.

But wait, there's more! Not only did she make the opposite decision that a character like her should make, she then said "I pinned Charlotte in the middle of this ring, for the third time may I add, and became YOUR new Raw Women's Champion." No Bayley, you are not my Raw Women's Champion. Can we get [HASHTAG]#NotMyWomensChamp[/HASHTAG] trending? Anyways, not only did she make the decision a heel would make, she then revealed that she is either delusional and doesn't realize that she didn't win on her own, or she knows that she had help, is perfectly fine with it, and is actually proud of that fact.

This is not a babyface.

Now we get to Fastlane. During the match, Sasha Banks, a babyface, is the first one to interfere in the match. With the help of Sasha, Bayley won the match, getting another tainted victory in only her second defense of the title.

Am I supposed to support her throughout this? Are any of us expected to get behind this woman who's repeatedly winning matches with help? How is Charlotte Flair the heel in this situation after being cheated out of the Women's Championship multiple times?

Bayley is presented as the good, wholesome girl that does the right thing and believes in herself. That sounds like an inspiring character, doesn't it? However, she gets help to win the Women's title, showing that she needed help to win. What story does that say? What lesson is a kid watching Bayley supposed to take from this? "Hey little Jimmy, just remember, try your best and fight your hardest and if that's not enough, have your friend come in and help you."

This is not a babyface.

A babyface isn't proud to have gotten help to win a match and a babyface sure as hell doesn't brag about how they "won it on their own" when they clearly didn't.

This is what heels do.

This Charlotte Flair/Bayley saga is the Bayley heel turn none of us realized was happening. However, that statement isn't true, because she's not a heel, she's still a babyface.

Bayley is a terrible babyface.

https://therealityera.com/2017/03/10/bayley-is-a-terrible-babyface-that-should-not-be-wwe-womens-champion/

collim1

The Artiste
I agree 100%

Big Charlotte fan, but that is not really why I don't dig Bayley.

I don't like the giant push she got right out of the gate, especially when her personality and mic skills can't hold it up.

I think Charlotte could truly walk the line between face and heel, and in a way kind of has at times. With the right counterpart that could be a really great way for her to go.

But, Bayley was touted as a mega baby face right off the bat and is not playing it well. Bad writing on WWE's part or not she is not selling her gimmick in my opinion.

I have not been very entertained by Bayley or Sasha to be quite honest.

I still think Charlotte vs Alexa Bliss could work with the right tweaking.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Bayley's main roster run is the exact reason why people fear NXT call ups. Somewhere between the writing rooms what makes these characters unique and well-received gets lost. Bayley went from a child-like uber babyface in NXT to a babbling idiot fan girl on RAW. Her character that got her over in NXT is just about gone, I'm not even sure what her gimmick is anymore or why she has wacky-wavy inflatable tube-men and It's odd too, her NXT run proved that if anything it's that she is money!...if booked properly. She appeals to the same demographic as Cena does and I'd go as far to say that if her RAW run wasn't such shit she'd be on her way to being the Women's division's Cena. Such wasted potential...

As for her winning the championship it was faaaaar to soon. The title win and Charlotte's streak ending should've been saved for 'Mania, it would've been a star making moment, why the blew their load so soon? The world may never know.

Jazzwazza

Jobber
I think she has alot of talent but this childish gimmick isn't working. Comes across as more "special needs" at times to me. I get what they are trying to do though but it missed the mark. I think they let her break the steak because they want to boost her to the level of the other 4 horse women since she didn't get called up as quick and was left out of that Wrestlemania match. It's just a quick rush job to push her to being as important as them. Personally I think the whole Raw women's division is being booked very poorly compared to Smackdown or even NXT

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
I didn't read ur whole thing but Im not a Bayley fan. I thought she was overrated since I first heard of her when she was feuding with Sasha in NXT. People online (not here at least) were trying to say that Bayley vs Sasha was the greatest feud/matches in the past decade...I was like :sheamful:

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
100% Correct, A+,6 out of 5 Stars...

[HASHTAG]#notmywomenschamp[/HASHTAG]

Bayley has been "ruined" by winning and keeping the title "uncleanly" on RAW
& then "excepting" Sasha's interference in the streak breaking win at Fastlane.

Now everyone around here knows I basically worship Charlotte...but my current
opinion of Bayley has nothing to do with Charlotte herself.

tumblr_omly4zrdDG1ug3f7no1_500.png

*Sigh*

I love Charlotte because of her all round skills as a performer and frankly no
other woman on the WWE roster (except Asuka) carries themselves with such
power and grace. She is the Undisputed Alpha Female...well...at least until she
fights Asuka.

*Thinks about that match and is confused on who to support*

Anyway...where was I? Oh yeah...

Its the booking...its been a rushed, repetitive clusterfuck that is frankly ruining
my enjoyment of wrestling. I'm hoping that the 2017 Draft will hopefully fix the
RAW women's division...but knowing the WWE...they will probably make the
situation even worse.

This story "was" a simple one to tell...and frankly it was on track until Bayley
won the title.

Bayley should have won the title for the 1st time and pinned Charlotte cleanly
at Wrestlemania...it was that simple...and while I didn't like the idea (Sasha
deserves that honor...not Bayley) I could handle it...because as far as the story
goes it would've been a feel good Wrestlemania moment...and sometimes...the
good guys need to win and win big...even if you are supporting the heels.

(Case and Point: Naomi defeating Alexa Bliss at Elimination Chamber)

But the RAW creative just couldn't wait...they showed zero patience and gave
Bayley the title on RAW and then had her break the streak at Fastlane. Nice
work on throwing away two factors that would have been great to see at
Wrestlemania and would have enhanced that match and made it truly special.

Now we have (ATM) a triple threat match (which we have already seen at
Clash of Champions 2016) and frankly there is no chance of this match
living up to the triple threat at Wrestlemania 32 because well...I'm just going
to say it...Bayley is becoming a botch monkey and is nowhere near as good
in the ring as Becky Lynch is.

You all know its true...just except it...

Now apparently at Fastlane...the original booking was to have Nia Jax crush
Sasha again and Charlotte to regain the title and keep her streak intact...

But...at the last minute...both were changed...of course Sasha was suppose
to "cheat" and use the ropes to pin Nia but both ladies were out of position.

So what we have is the face characters being written to use heel tactics to win...
and while I can handle that for Sasha...because lets all be honest...Heel Sasha
is the best Sasha and all signs point to a Sasha heel turn...Bayley is "THE"
Babyface...and yet she won the title thanks to outside interference and retained
it due to interference...and frankly...its terrible for her character.

Now I did read an article about the idea of "The Slow Corruption of Bayley" and
they did make some valid points...but the fact of the matter is if Bayley wants to
play this sweet, innocent, caring and kid friendly character...the only way it works
is if she actually practices what she preaches...there can be no middle ground,
grey areas with Bayley.

She has to be clean, pure and 100% a face.

There have been other examples of Bayley being "ruined" by the main roster
writing...such as her taking part in the pre-Survivor Series SmackDown attack on
Nikki Bella & Carmella (a known NXT friend & Ally) and her basically calling Dana
Brooke a "Dog" in a backstage segment at the Tribute to the Troops show last year.

Now I have been very critical of Bayley's lack of character development since
arriving on the main roster...but this is not the kind of character development
I want to see.

Of course the RAW women's division is so pathetic that its basically just 3 women
with Nia Jax disappearing for weeks at a time, Dana Brooke being fucking useless,
Emma being toyed around with by creative, Alicia Fox being lumped in with the
Cruiserweights, Lana not actually wrestling and of course Summer Rae & Paige
missing due to long term injuries.

The fact is the RAW creative/writing team has basically made me grow to hate
Bayley...and because they are only focusing on 3 women...its going to continue to
be a vicious, repetitive cycle of more of the same.

Of course...I will always love Charlotte and respect Sasha no matter the booking...

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
I am easily a bigger fan of Bayley than I am of Charlotte. Although I really like Charlotte, Bayley (while in NXT) has told some great stories. Between her matches with Sasha Banks and her first title defense against Nia Jax, I think Bayley showed amazing promise. But, the most important thing to realize about her the whole time is that her appeal has come as an underdog.

When Stephanie McMahon tried to persuade Bayley to "do the right thing" and relinquish the title, I agreed with Steph. That was NOT the way Bayley's first title win should have gone. WWE dropped several balls on that one. Bayley's title win should have been quashed. But it wasn't because WWE wants Bayley and Banks to go at it.

I disagree with the premise of the title of this thread. Bayley is not a terrible babyface. BUT she shouldn't be the women's champion right now. The WWE should have stayed true to her character, had her lose against Charlotte several times and then finally won at WrestleMania in what would be a classic match, I am sure. But they didn't. They screwed it up. This was probably because they wanted the triple threat at Mania. But even if the match is good, the storytelling for it has been all wrong.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
I am easily a bigger fan of Bayley than I am of Charlotte. Although I really like Charlotte, Bayley (while in NXT) has told some great stories. Between her matches with Sasha Banks and her first title defense against Nia Jax, I think Bayley showed amazing promise. But, the most important thing to realize about her the whole time is that her appeal has come as an underdog.
I will give Bayley credit...her matches with Sasha were amazing...but its Sasha Banks...who is basically the
female version of A.J Styles...she can make anyone look good...or at least half decent.

Yeah...Bayley was doing fine...until Asuka arrived and showed her what a "real" female wrestler/performer should be...

Speaking of which...I honestly can't take Bayley as a serious champion because of those losses she suffered to Asuka...
I mean...let's just say Asuka is eventually drafted to RAW...no way I'm ever buying Bayley defeating Asuka clean.

Also having Bayley tap out to Sasha in just over 7 minutes was another huge misstep by the creative team...Bayley
could possibly be the weakest looking women's champion since *Checks records* Kelly Kelly held the Divas title back
in 2011
When Stephanie McMahon tried to persuade Bayley to "do the right thing" and relinquish the title, I agreed with Steph. That was NOT the way Bayley's first title win should have gone. WWE dropped several balls on that one. Bayley's title win should have been quashed. But it wasn't because WWE wants Bayley and Banks to go at it.
Stephanie should have just taken the title back...she has that power...and as far as the feud with Sasha goes...well...
they already did it in NXT and I doubt it will be as good the second time around...and I just want to see Sasha crush
Bayley and make her and that little snot Izzy cry!

Also...and I'm just curious...but what is Charlotte going to be doing while this Heel Sasha/Bayley feud plays out?

Who is Charlotte suppose to feud with? There are no other faces besides Bayley & Sasha and the Boss is turning
soon...or so we all think...

Seriously WWE...trade Charlotte to SmackDown...get her away from Sasha & Bayley for at least a year and
let "Thelma & Louise" put on some "History Making" matches for the Blue Brand.
I disagree with the premise of the title of this thread. Bayley is not a terrible babyface. BUT she shouldn't be the women's champion right now. The WWE should have stayed true to her character, had her lose against Charlotte several times and then finally won at WrestleMania in what would be a classic match, I am sure. But they didn't. They screwed it up. This was probably because they wanted the triple threat at Mania. But even if the match is good, the storytelling for it has been all wrong.
100% Correct...The RAW creative team dropped the ball and screwed up a simple underdog story of Bayley rising
to the top and living out her dream.

Now we have already seen her win the title and break the streak...so what's left for Bayley to achieve at Wrestlemania.

The only way this works for me is if Sasha turns heel, stabs Bayley in the back and twists the knife while its in there and
Sasha finally gets the big pay per view title win she deserves.

[HASHTAG]#sashadeservesbetter[/HASHTAG]

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
I will give Bayley credit...her matches with Sasha were amazing...but its Sasha Banks...who is basically the
female version of A.J Styles...she can make anyone look good...or at least half decent.

Yeah...Bayley was doing fine...until Asuka arrived and showed her what a "real" female wrestler/performer should be...

Speaking of which...I honestly can't take Bayley as a serious champion because of those losses she suffered to Asuka...
I mean...let's just say Asuka is eventually drafted to RAW...no way I'm ever buying Bayley defeating Asuka clean.

Also having Bayley tap out to Sasha in just over 7 minutes was another huge misstep by the creative team...Bayley
could possibly be the weakest looking women's champion since *Checks records* Kelly Kelly held the Divas title back
in 2011

Stephanie should have just taken the title back...she has that power...and as far as the feud with Sasha goes...well...
they already did it in NXT and I doubt it will be as good the second time around...and I just want to see Sasha crush
Bayley and make her and that little snot Izzy cry!

Also...and I'm just curious...but what is Charlotte going to be doing while this Heel Sasha/Bayley feud plays out?

Who is Charlotte suppose to feud with? There are no other faces besides Bayley & Sasha and the Boss is turning
soon...or so we all think...

Seriously WWE...trade Charlotte to SmackDown...get her away from Sasha & Bayley for at least a year and
let "Thelma & Louise" put on some "History Making" matches for the Blue Brand.

100% Correct...The RAW creative team dropped the ball and screwed up a simple underdog story of Bayley rising
to the top and living out her dream.

Now we have already seen her win the title and break the streak...so what's left for Bayley to achieve at Wrestlemania.

The only way this works for me is if Sasha turns heel, stabs Bayley in the back and twists the knife while its in there and
Sasha finally gets the big pay per view title win she deserves.

[HASHTAG]#sashadeservesbetter[/HASHTAG]

Losing to Asuka doesn't make anyone look bad because it's Asuka.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Losing to Asuka doesn't make anyone look bad because it's Asuka.
It does when your suppose to be one of the main roster champions and the NXT champion has twice wiped the floor with you.

And thankfully *Checks Records* Alexa Bliss has never had her incredibly pert backside kicked by Asuka...so I can handle her
being champion.

:p

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
It does when your suppose to be one of the main roster champions and the NXT champion has twice wiped the floor with you.

And thankfully *Checks Records* Alexa Bliss never had her incredibly pert backside kicked by Asuka...so I can handle her
being champion.

:p

Asuka would have Alexa for breakfast (in a non sexual way) and you know it.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Asuka would have Alexa for breakfast (in a non sexual way) and you know it.
Oh...why did you say it like that? Now my mind is wandering...and...

*Thinks about Asuka & Alexa*

I'm going to need a few minutes...lol

You know...it wouldn't surprise me if Asuka was that way inclined...she does have
a certain "Aura" about her...

Anyway...on topic...

I know Asuka can wipe the floor with just about anyone...I believe Charlotte could
legitimately defeat Asuka using her height/reach advantage and a few of
those "Classic Flair" tricks/tactics...but the fact is Alexa hasn't been defeated by
Asuka yet...so its okay for Alexa to have a main roster title.

My opinion would be the same if Nia Jax won the RAW women's title...I'd be like:

"Bitch...Just wait till Asuka shows up...she'll kick you in the head so hard you'll think your Eva Marie!"

In my mind...there is a pecking order and Bayley has won a main roster title too
soon without doing enough to earn it.

I stand by my statement: Sasha should have won at Hell In A Cell, breaking the
streak and then defeated Charlotte at RoadBlock: End of the Line to end the feud.

Charlotte I love you...but you can't be the champion all the time...as good as that
belt looks around your lovely waist.

Last edited:

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
I like Bayley.
I did until it was clear that Sasha was getting pushed aside so Bayley could be
"shoved" into the title picture.

I think Botchie-San said it best...
Bayley's main roster run is the exact reason why people fear NXT call ups. Somewhere between the writing rooms what makes these characters unique and well-received gets lost. Bayley went from a child-like uber babyface in NXT to a babbling idiot fan girl on RAW. Her character that got her over in NXT is just about gone, I'm not even sure what her gimmick is anymore or why she has wacky-wavy inflatable tube-men and It's odd too, her NXT run proved that if anything it's that she is money!...if booked properly. She appeals to the same demographic as Cena does and I'd go as far to say that if her RAW run wasn't such shit she'd be on her way to being the Women's division's Cena. Such wasted potential...

As for her winning the championship it was faaaaar to soon. The title win and Charlotte's streak ending should've been saved for 'Mania, it would've been a star making moment, why the blew their load so soon? The world may never know.