Backstage News on Highlight Reel Segment

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Here is the latest on Monday Night's Highlight Reel segment, which did not go well. Word is that the segment was written the day of the show, and that Vince McMahon thought it was "really bad".

Then, during the segment, the Jeritron malfunctioned during the airing of the Marine 3 promo. Brad Maddox's promo was supposed to mention the Jeritron, and with it not being there, he still delivered the line about the Jeritron. Maddox is taking the majority of the heat for the segment due to messing up the line.

While Maddox has taken a lot of the heat, word is that McMahon had already told Cole and Lawler through their headsets to bury the segment before he even came out. Backstage, Vince was heard calling the segment one of the worst segments ever. Many feel that it wouldn't have been nearly as noticeable if Cole and Lawler weren't told to bury it on the air.

Credit: wrestlingobserver.com via wrestlezone.com

I knew something wasn't right when i was watching it :maddox:

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I lol'd so hard during that segment.

Brad Maddox said:
"Hey! Knock it off. Knock it. Stop it RIGHT NOW! You three are not gonna act like that on MY SHOW! I'm sowwee, please allow me to introduce me, I'm Brad Maddox, high ranking executive of Monday Night RAW and I have a very exciting announcement from the super hero management team of Brickie...ugh, that's Vickie and me. You need to chill out, you just need to chill. Obviously you're all very good. Who doesn't want to wrestle for the IC title, everyone does, I do. Here's what we'll do. You, no you Barrett will defend your title next week against The Miz and Jericho, and that match is right now!!"

Lawler & Cole said:
What's going on?

This might probably be the worst segment in the history of Monday Night RAW.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Hopefully Maddox gets the Alex Riley treatment now and we don't see him anymore other than taking beatings. I just can't get into his character of being an awkward assistant. So painful to hear him try to cut a promo.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
A segment that featured Brad Maddox ended up being awful? I'm shocked, I really am.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
One of the worst segments EVER? lolplease.

I knew something was "off" about the segment, but I would hardly call it a historical blunder. Maybe instead of blaming Maddox, Vince should be mad the technicians responsible for that Jeritron. I dunno, call me crazy, but it seems like that was the issue that evidently "ruined" that segment.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
"This segment is awful, what can I do to fix this? Hey Cole, talk about how awful it is so even the simplest of fans who were probably enjoying it realize it as well! Oh, and make sure to mention how disrespectful Punk was earlier while I think of better ways to make money off of Paul's death." Vince Logic.

Franco

Reaction score
That segment would go on unnoticeable if it wasn't for Cole's counterproductive commentary. It was actually quite fun.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
This from Vince who has at least one fecking awful dancing segment on each week. The segment was pretty lame, but should've been instantly forgettable. I know I wouldn't have given it a second thought had it not been for the commentary

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I remember Vince did this last year during some Piper's Pit segment, so I had a feeling what was going on.

I didn't think the segment was that bad, it was basically just used to promote The Marine 3 and whatever movie Barrett is in anyway. If anything is was Cole and Kings comments that made the whole segment come off that much worse.

Oh, and Brad Maddox is still awesome. Screw the haters. :maddox:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
What happened to Vince's "the show must go on" attitude? When something in the show goes wrong you keep going and you play it straight. When you get the commentators to actually point out the akwardness, snickering and going "This is so dumb, can we go to commercials?", it doesn't make things any more comfortable. I thought they told wrestlers that when they botch, the audience won't know it if you don't show it, or something to that effect?

As for Maddox, I kinda like him but he handled this one poorly too. I know his gimmick is this little, cocky, nervous guy in WAY over his head. Him probably not delivering a single line straight made the segment akward, the fact that I couldn't fucking HEAR him at times because of Cole and Lawler made it frustrating.

Hell, why not just let Jericho take over?

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
They very well could have been ribbing the rook too as any of them from Miz Jericho or Jerry and Michael could've made it come off better

...god...

Reaction score
What? Brad Maddox is fucking gold. Talk about the second coming of Eric Bischoff, this is FUCKING HIM. You push that overrated blueberry looking child AJ Lee for months last year, when here you have the guy they should push the HELL out of. He's the next Vickie, Coach, Cole, a more talented Ace/Adamle. They could mega-swerve and have Maddox behind the Shield (beat down scene explainable), recreate history right there. I just wanna see this guy get mega over, they've been missing an evil, conniving bastard character like Bischoff was for years, imo. And they have all the resources to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
In Maddox's defense, even though he fucked up a lot of the lines, that's how his character is supposed to act like.

And agreed with the people who say that the blunders of the segment wouldn't have been nearly noticeable if not for Cole and Lawler. If you watch closely even though Maddox was blabbering quite a bit, Barrett and Miz still reacted the way they should, Barrett made cocky gestures when Brad said that the Intercontinental title was one of the most prestigious titles there is, and Miz nodded with approval when Brad said he would get a shot at the IC title, etc.

And as for Jericho, him berating Barrett was also kind of pretty badass, "the worst segment in the history of RAW" was extreme exaggeration on Cole's side.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I loved the Jericho bit at the end after Maddox commented about the Jeritron "It's already gone where you been" Vince's fault when he has wrestlers read lines instead of hitting bullet points you get stupid shit like that.