AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
EARLY FALL 1989

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

Jim Crockett had arrived...

Crockett didn't have to wait long for Verne Gagne to make it down the hall and welcome Jim. The two made small talk as they walked back to Verne's office. Once inside the office, they took a seat at Verne's desk.

Jim: Nice office you got here, Verne.

Verne: I like it.

Before this goes any further, after we get through discussing business, I thought I'd take you to lunch.

Jim: Fine. Fine.

Verne: Let's get down to discussing the business at hand, shall we.

Jim: Sounds good to me.

Verne: As you know my asking price has been $3 million.

Jim nodded in agreement.

Verne: I take great comfort, Jim, in knowing you're a wrestling guy and not a 'sports entertainment' type.

Jim: You're spot on there. And the AWA would remain a true wrestling promotion if I bought it.

By the way, I'd like to give you my thoughts on a couple of things before moving forward.

Verne: Shoot.

Jim: In looking at your roster, I think you have a pretty good base to build on here. There's a good mix of young and veteran talent.

I also managed to get copies of a couple of your recent shows and must say I think the build-up to Super Clash 4 has been good.

Verne: Thank you.

This is the biggest show for us in almost a year.

Jim: Of course, a few more, not a lot but a few more, wrestlers need to be added to the mix to garner more fan attention and freshen things up.

I think bringing in Greg Valentine was a real good move. He's got a lot of mileage left in the tank.

Verne: Agreed. That's why I signed him. He's gonna be a top heel.

What do you think of some of the younger talent?

Jim: I've seen some of the work of The Destruction Crew and have been quite impressed.

Badd Company's a solid heel team but it's their manager, that Page guy, that makes them a top tier tag team. Kind of like Jim Cornette elevating the Midnight Express.

Tommy Jammer's got some potential in my book as a mid-card face.

Jonnie Stewart needs a little polish but I think has top tier heel written all over him.

As for the Top Guns, well, they strike me as a face team along the level of the Fantastics but not at the level of the Rock-N-Roll Express.

Kokina Maximus looks like a ready-made monster heel with a serious upside.

There's some good talent to build on here.

Verne: Okay.

Now, let's get down to business.

I've been looking to sell for around $3 million. Do you have an offer you're ready to make?

Jim: Well, David and I have been discussing it. We're currently looking for a third investor.

Verne winced.

Verne: What if you can't find a third investor?

Jim: We might have to walk away from buying.

$9 million dollars is not really $9 million dollars after taxes and paying off some debts.

And being a consultant for a wrestling promotion is not really something I'm interested in for the long haul. David and I want back in the game.

Verne: Well, we'll see what can be done, Jim.

But I do need to tell you something.

Jim: What's that?

Verne: I met with Vince McMahon a couple of days ago.

Crockett mouthed the word 'wow'.

Crockett: Not expecting to hear that.

Did he make an offer?

Verne: He called me out of the blue a few days back and wanted to set up a meeting so that's what we did.

He's offering $3.5 million for the company.

Jim: Are you leaning towards accepting?

Verne: Honestly, I'm going back and forth on it.

From strictly a business perspective I want to sell to him. I mean...$3.5 million.

Jim: Understood.

Verne: He even laid out a vision for an inter-promotional feud between the AWA and WWF.

But I don't care for his kind of wrestling.

I have built up a legacy here. I created the AWA from the ground up, built upon the foundation of the wrestling being front and center. And I'd hate to see it reduced to a cartoon sideshow.

Jim: So, the company's still in play then?

Verne: Right now...very much so.

And I'm due to meet with John Waters and Deborah Harry in Milwaukee the morning of Super Clash 4 to discuss possibly selling to them.

Jim: Well, looks like you've got a lot of irons in the fire right now.

I don't know if $3.5 million would be feasilble for us at this moment. David and I will have to talk about it. The need for a third investor is now vital for us to be able to make a deal.

Please, don't make a decision in haste, Verne. I know Vince's offer is hard to pass up. But just give us and the other potential buyers a chance to get all our ducks in a row and see if we can make a deal.

Verne: I will choose carefully. Very carefully. But there are also other things to think about here: like paying off debts and leaving something for the family.

Jim: Just give us a chance to try and put a viable offer together, Verne. That's all I ask.

Verne: I will. I want to be as fair as possible in this process.

Now, how about we get some lunch?

Jim: Sounds good to me.

The two men left the office, hopped in Crockett's rental car and drove off to lunch...

...as the fate of AWA hung in the balance.

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
EARLY FALL (October) 1989

VERNE GAGNE'S HOME ON LAKE MINNETONKA

Verne Gagne, wife Mary, son Greg and TV producer Al DeRusha were sitting around Verne's dining room table.

They were discussing what to do about selling the AWA.

Mary: Verne, $3.5 million is quite a payday. Once you sell it the promotion is no longer in your hands. The new owners can do whatever they want with it.

Verne: I understand that, Mary. And Vince's offer is really...really tempting. But I also have a legacy to think about.

Greg: Dad, you're legacy survives in the 30 years you've owned the AWA.

Like mom said, a new buyer is going to do what they want with it.

Al: The business is rapidly changing, Verne. Vince McMahon has changed...overhauled, actually...the rules of the game in terms of presenting pro wrestling.

Verne: But not everyone wants to see the entire business wind up like that.

Greg: True enough. The people want a true alternative.

Verne: I liked what I heard from Deborah (Harry) and John (Waters) about wanting to keep this a pro wrestling company first and foremost. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking that, because they're showbiz people, the temptation might be there to make it more of a goof-fest like the WWF.

Al: Verne, you're showbiz people, too.

Verne (agitated): You know what I mean.

Mary: I say just sell to McMahon and be done with it. Think about the family and the future.

Greg: Mom, you make a good point. But in the end this is still dad's decision. Dad, I'll support you no matter which way you want to go.

Verne: Thanks, son.

Al: Your legacy is set in stone, Verne. No matter what you do, your legacy will not be affected by it.

If Vince turns it into a sideshow then so be it. Let it go.

Greg: Dad, if Vince bought it he said he'd want to build up to an inter-promotional feud between the AWA and WWF. He explained some of his vision for it at the airport meeting. He's got a good concept.

Verne: But would he stick with it or wind up just blowing up the AWA and taking the personnel he wants?

Al: Vince may do just that.

If he keeps the AWA alive in some fashion, for all we know he could make one of the Bushwhackers the champion.

Verne winced.

Verne: That's what I'm worried about.

Mary: Verne, please, listen to reason. Vince's offer is gonna be the biggest one. Sell it to him.

Verne: Not that easy, Mary.

It's hard to let go. Pro wrestling has been my life for over 40 years. You don't just drop everything and walk away like that part of your life never existed.

Mary: Correction. It's been our life for over 40 years.

Verne smiled at Mary.

Verne: Indeed it has, love of my life. Indeed it has.

Al: I say go with Vince's offer. What's done is done after the sale.

Greg: I'm torn, dad. You've still got the meeting with Harry and Waters in Milwaukee. Let's see where that goes.

Verne: Vince wants a firm answer on the 19th.

Mary: Give it to him, then.

Greg: Just see what Harry and Waters put on the table. You need to think carefully about this.

Verne: I know that, son.

Might have to ask Vince for a little more time.

Al: Vince is a pretty fair guy. But he can also be very firm. He may demand that answer on the 19th and if he doesn't get it he could walk away from a deal.

Verne: Fair? Was it fair when he raided my talent a few years ago?

Al: Not exactly. But this is a business at the end of the day; a ruthless business at that.

Greg: Just be patient and let the process play out.

Verne: Patience may not be a virtue in this case.

Mary: Sell to McMahon and you'll feel one thing.

Verne: What?

Mary: Relief.

Verne sat quietly for a moment.

Verne: I gotta hear the pitch from Deborah and John first. Then I'll make the decision I feel is right.

But right now I need to think about things.

The battle lines have been drawn.

Will Verne sell to Vince, who may indeed 'blow up' the AWA, take the stars he wants from the promotion and make them part of the regular cast of characters in the WWF?

Would Harry and Waters (or Crockett) stick to the idea of maintaining the AWA as a wrestling-centered promotion if one of them purchased it?

Verne had all this on his mind and knew he had to make a decision...quickly.

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
(NOTE: Except for the matches, this show is the same as my most recent AWA on ESPN posting to get over SC 4.)

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - STEVENS POINT, WI - QUANDT FIELDHOUSE - OCTOBER 1989

In-Studio Host: Larry Nelson

Match Commentator: Lee Marshall

Color Commentator: Lord James Blears

2nd Taping Recap

Show Intro

In-Studio
- Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

It's the final countdown to Super Clash 4!!!

THE FINAL DEBATE: Jerry Lawler vs. Sgt. Slaughter before their match at Super Clash 4 to determine the undisputed AWA World Champion

The final Super Clash 4 Update (Major surprise announcement!)

A steel cage exhibition featuring Larry Zbyszko

Magnificent Mimi wrestles

An interview with Baron Von Raschke

Final comments from Greg Valentine before his AWA debut match with the Baron at SC 4

The Top Guns see action

Don Muraco wrestles a singles match

AND MORE!

Nelson then sent it to the Quandt Fieldhouse.

Jake 'Milkman' Milliman won a squash match over Joe Mannix via pinfall with his Pasteurizer (flying leg drop) finisher

Before the match, Milliman came into the ring wearing his 'Milkmania' t-shirt, tore it off and threw it into the crowd. After the match, he did some posing to the delight of a few.

In-Studio: Larry Nelson hyped the Zbyszko steel cage exhibition coming up later in the program.

Intro'd an interview with Greg Gagne after a Gagne squash victory.

VIDEO:

(From AWA Wrestling on ESPN)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Greg Gagne, a good tune-up win heading into your steel cage match-up with Larry Zbyszko at Super Clash 4 on October 18th in Milwaukee. What are you thinking going into this big match?

Gagne:I'm thinking that Gagne family pride and respect are on the line and the man who will be looking to protect the Gagne family name is me.

It's not my father, Larry. It's me. I'll stand or fall in this match on my own.

Nelson:Nick Bockwinkel has returned to the AWA and has been named the special referee for this match. Your thoughts on that.

Greg:Larry, Nick's an honorable man and his word is good with me. He said he would be an impartial referee and I take him at face value. The winner of this match between Zbyszko and myself will be deserving of the victory.

Nelson:This match, since it's inside a steel cage, could get really ugly.

Greg:It certainly could. The steel cage is an unforgiving structure. It tears the flesh. It doesn't feel good when you hit the cage.

This is a match that might be bloody and very violent.

But I'm ready for Larry Zbyszko! Enough talking! It's time to fight!

Decent pop from the crowd.

Nelson:Greg Gagne, everybody!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Baron Von Raschke with the caption: NEXT... THE BARON SPEAKS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd a special interview with Baron Von Raschke.

VIDEO:

In-Studio:
Larry Nelson intro'd video of an interview Eric Bischoff did with Baron Von Raschke at the AWA studios in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Eric Bischoff and Baron Von Raschke sitting at a small round table. Bischoff was in a suit and Baron was in street clothes and a cap. Each man had a mic. They sitting in front of the AWA logo.

Eric: Hello, everyone. This is Eric Bischoff. I'm pleased to have a very special guest with me at this time...the legend Baron Von Raschke.

Baron, thanks for stopping by.

Baron: It's my pleasure, Eric. Let me just say you do a real good job of holding a microphone.

Bischoff laughed.

Eric: Thank you, Baron. I do my best.

Now, Baron, last week you defeated Jonnie Stewart in a match Stewart challenged you to.

Were you worried about the risk you were taking by agreeing to that match?

Baron: Eric, my young Howard Cossell, every time you step in the ring you assume a risk. It does not matter who you are facing. This sport, like other sports, holds no guarantees.

Jonnie Stewart, he's a cocky one, challenged me to a
match so I accepted. I'm a man and a man doesn't back down from a fight.

Eric: Jonnie Stewart's a pretty cagey guy in that ring. He gets away with a lot. It's also rumored he loads his knee pad just before he hits an opponent with the flying knee.

Does wrestling a guy like Stewart mean taking on a different kind of risk in pro wrestling?

Baron: Eric, these fans watching know my past. They know I used to be a sneaky devil who would sometimes take shortcuts to gain an advantage or win a match. So, I knew what Stewart brought to the table. I knew he liked to play dirty at times. But that's wrestling. You play the hand your dealt.

Eric: You're facing Greg Valentine at Super Clash 4. It's Valenitne's debut match in the AWA and he obviously wants to start strong. How do you, Baron, prepare for a match like this?

Baron: I like to spar. I like to workout with other wrestlers and that helps keep me in ring shape.

I also study videos of my opponents so I've been watching a lot of Greg Valentine matches recently. He's an impressive wrestler.

It's gonna be a tough match but I would not have it any other way.

Oh! And it's gonna be the Iron Claw vs. the Figure 4!

Baron made the claw gesture with his right hand.

Eric: One final question, Baron. It's the question you always get asked...

Baron: Retirement, right?

Eric: Correct.

Baron: I've said it a million times. There will be no press conference. There will be no celebration for me. After a match, I will simply remove my wrestling boots and leave them in the middle of the ring and head off into the night.

And that's all the people need to know.

Baron again did the claw gesture.

Eric: Thank you for your time, Baron.

I'm Eric Bischoff. Thank you for watching.

END VIDEO

Video aired of Zbyszko steel cage exhibition with the caption: NEXT... STEEL CAGE RAGE!

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the Zbyszko cage exhibition. Also warned that viewer discretion was advised because of the very graphic nature of the exhibition.

VIDEO:

Shot of the empty steel cage in a non-descript gym.

Eric Bischoff was standing by the cage with mic in hand.

Bischoff:Hello, everybody. This is Eric Bischoff at a gym here in Las Vegas.

As you can see, a steel cage has been set up around the ring.

On hand are a couple of AWA officials and two EMT's should there be a serious injury during this demonstration.

Larry Zbyszko, if I can have a word with you.

Zbyszko walked into the picture in his ring attire.

Zbyszko:Let's hurry this up, boy! I've got a clinic to put on!

In the background, a wrestler in tights and boots is seen walking into the cage.

Bischoff:Larry, you've said you're putting on a steel cage demonstration for us.

Zbyszko: That's right. I am going to show the people out there just how unforgiving the steel cage can be when used as a weapon.

Bischoff: Do you...

Zbyszko stared at Bischoff.

Zbyszko:Does Maaco paint your hair?

Bischoff chuckled nervously.

Bischoff:Back to the topic at hand...

Zbyszko:I'm already tired of talking to you, Bischoff!

Time to unleash the fury on this guy in the ring.

Zbyszko made his way up the steps and stepped into the cage.

Zbyszko turned and gestured for Bischoff's mic and Bischoff handed it up to him.

Zbyszko:Hey, buddy!

Zbyszko gestured for the other wrestler to come over.

Wrestler walked into the picture.

Zbyszko:What's your name?

Wrestler:George South.

Zbyszko:George what?

Wrestler:South.

Zbyszko:George South.

Okay. Now, for the people at home and my attorney, you signed a waiver absolving me, Larry Zbyszko, of any harm I may do to you in this steel cage exhibition, correct?

South:That is correct.

Zbyszko:That's all we needed to know.

Zbyszko then insulted South by patting South on the side of the face.

Zbyszko handed the mic back to Bischoff and Bischoff closed the cage door.

South went over to the corner to loosen up by pulling on the top rope. Zbyszko, being the class act he is, charged over and jumped South from behind. Zbyszko pounded away on South as Bischoff called the action from the floor.

Zbyszko threw South head-first into the cage. South staggered back and spun around and Zbyszko grabbed South again and threw him head-first into the other side of the cage. South stunned. South moved in on Zbyszko and Zbyszko nailed South with a jumping sole kick to the chest. South crashed to the mat. Zbyszko dropped down on top of South and blistered South in the head with punches. Zbyszko then took South and violently scraped South's head along the steel mesh. South went down.

Bischoff (yelling):Is this over?!

Zbyszko picked up on the mic.

Zbyszko (yelling):Hell no!

Zbyszko snapped up South. South now bleeding.

Zbyszko:One more time!

Zbyszko again violently scraped South's head across the steel mesh.

Zbyszko popped South with some well-placed punches on the cut and South went back down.

Bischoff:I think you've proven your point, Larry!

Zbyszko (mocking Bischoff):I think you've proven your point!

Shut up, Mr. Carved Hair!

South started getting up and was now not only bleeding, but had joined the full-blown crimson mask club.

Zbyszko grabbed South and threw South across the ring and South got airborne and hit the other side of the cage horizontally. South slid down the side of the cage onto the apron.

Bischoff (stunned voice):This is now uncalled for!

Zbyszko picked up on the mic.

Zbyszko:You wanna be next, Bischoff?!

As South got to his knees, Zbyszko reached down and pulled the bloody South up by both sides of his head.

Zbyszko then slammed the back of South's head into the steel post that held up the center of one side of the cage. South doubled over grabbed the back of his head.

Zbyszko then maimed South a little more with another head-first drag across the mesh. South went down and Larry booted the guy.

Zbyszko quickly left the cage and dropped to the floor and walked up to Bischoff.

Zbyszko:Just wanted to let everybody know I'm almost done! Not quite, but almost!

South had gotten to his feet and was leaned through the top and middle rope preparing to leave the cage when Zbyszko went over and slammed the cage door on South's head. South crashed back to the mat.

Zbyszko:Penalty for early withdrawal, George!

Zbyszko climbed back into the ring, snapped South up by the back of the hair and shoved the extremely bloody South's face into the camera.

Zbyszko:Look at that! All courtesy of the steel cage!

Bischoff:This demonstration should be over! Zbyszko has proven his point about weaponizing the cage!

Zbyszko then popped South in the bloody head with more punches and then hoisted South up and dropped him on the top buckle. Zbyszko climbed up to the middle buckle and popped South with a few more head shots and then grabbed South's head and slammed the back of it multiple times into the corner steel where posts meets post.

Bischoff:Oh my god! Will somebody please stop this!

Zbyszko dropped to the mat. A dazed and confused South rocked forward and crashed helplessly to the mat. Zbyszko then grabbed South, hoisted South up and nailed South with a piledriver. Zbyszko then snapped South back up and hit him with a second piledriver. South laid out like a ragdoll.

The AWA officials and both EMT's climbed into the cage. Zbyszko had brief words with the officials and then left the cage and dropped to the floor.

Bischoff:What the hell were the piledrivers for?!

Zbyszko:The piledrivers?

Zbyszko shrugged.

Zbyszko:Because I felt like it!

And this message goes out to one man! Greg Gagne, I know you'll see this! Did you see the horror I just inflicted on that guy?!

It's gonna be even worse for you, Greg, at Super Clash 4! I'm gonna use that cage to rip the flesh from your body! I'm gonna make you bleed like a stuck pig! And there's nothing...NOTHING...your daddy will be able to do about it!

Bischoff:Look at what you've done to George South!

Zbyszko looked back. Shot of the EMT's working on South in the ring.

Zbyszko:Did he sign up for it, Bischoff?! Huh?! Did he?!

Bischoff:He did, but...

Zbyszko:Shut up, man! He signed up for this exhibition, knew their could be injuries inflicted on his person and he suffered and suffered bad at my hands!

Zbyszko stormed out as the EMT's continued checking on South in the cage as AWA officials looked on with deep concern on their faces.

Bischoff:Wow! This has been just surreal! We hope George South is okay. He's an absoluite bloody mess.

One last shot of South with blood on his face, in his hair and on his body.

Bischoff:This is Eric Bischoff reporting to you from Las Vegas.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson hyped the Gagne-Zbyszko steel cage match for SC 4.

Nelson then sent it back to Quandt Fieldhouse.

Don Muraco won a sqaush match over Paul Von Hindenburg via pinfall with his inverted piledriver finisher

Wahoo in Muraco's corner during the match.

Pic aired of Greg Valentine with the caption: NEXT... HAMMER TIME 5!!!

In-studio:
Larry Nelson intro'd the final comments form Greg Valentine before Valentine's debut match against BVR at SC 4.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Greg Valentine in street clothes with mic in hand standing in front of the AWA logo.

Greg:Well, this is the last time I'll talk to you people before my match with Baron Von Raschke at Super Clash 4.

Here's a history lesson for you.

Baron Von Raschke is a 3-time World Heavyweight Champion.

Bet a lot of you didn't know that.

He won his three World Championships in the World Wrestling Association.

So, when I make my debut at Super Clash 4, I will not only be facing a man who is a sure-fire pro wrestling hall of famer. I'll be wrestling a man who was a multi-time World Champion in this, the greatest sport on the planet.

Do you know how hard it is to be a multi-time World Champion? It's extremely hard. But the Baron has done it three times. You could say he's won the Triple Crown.

But I'm gonna take down the legend! I'm gonna take the three-time WWA World Heavyweight Champion, and I'm gonna give him a serious working over!

And at the end of the match, when I have the Baron down, I intend to finish him off with my figure 4 leglock! And my figure 4 is the best this sport has to offer! The Baron will feel the pain from the tips of his toes to the top of his head!

It's gonna be one of the sweetest victories of my career!

On October 18th in Milwaukee at the Mecca Arena, I'm gonna to be the Legend Destroyer!

See you there, Baron!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of The Top Guns with the caption: NEXT... FLYING HIGH!

Commercials

The Top Gins (Ricky Rice/Derrick Dukes) won a squash match over Junior Samples & Buck Owens when Rice pinned Samples after a double dropkick

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Ricky Rice and Derrick Dukes! You guys are back and really looking sharp in the ring.

Rice:Thanks, Larry. Great to be wrestling again in the AWA.

Nelson:Dallas Page and Badd Company are still on your guy's radar. Page is a very, shall we say, crafty manager. What do you look for when facing Badd Company because of the presence of Page at ringside.

Dukes:Page is the wildcard in all this. He can be a game-changer on his own. You could be whipping his team from pillar-to-post and yet he'll figure out a way to get his team over for the win.

Nelson:That's certainly true. Say what you will, Page has a good wrestling mind.

Rice:Especially when it comes to cheating. He has a great mind for that. I watched him playing poker in the casino the other night. He was at a table with five other players. I saw him win nine hands in a row.

Nelson:Think he was cheating?

Rice:I couldn't prove it. But he was making some odd hand movements.

Dukes: The guy can be the difference between winning and losing for Badd Company!

Nelson: The Top Guns, every...

Top Guns looked over and Nelson looked back and saw DDP making his way down the heel aisle to the ring. DDP was without his team. Crowd booing. DDP climbed up on the apron and gestured for Nelson to come over and Nelson obliged.

DDP: So, I'm a cheater, huh?

I'm not a cheater!

Crowd boos. Top Guns laughed and Rice pointed at DDP.

DDP (to the fans):Shut up!

Boos got louder.

DDP:I understand the nuances of this sport like no one else! That's why Badd Company wins! I know the tricks of the trade! That's why I'm an A-1 winner! I don't need to cheat because I can out-think spcial ed-caliber guys like...you!

Nelson went back over to Rice.

Rice:Dallas, you're right. You do know the tricks of the trade...and all the shortcuts to victory.

I've got an idea! Why don't you step in the ring with us?

Crowd cheers

DDP wildly gestured for Nelson to come back and Nelson did.

DDP:No! Because you guys are just a couple of thugs who want to pummel me and send me out of here in an ambulance!

Don't forget...you guys cost me $25 grand! Badd Company should be the World Tag Team Champions right now! I should have $25,000 more in my bank account than I do now! You guys took all that away from us and you guys are gonna pay dearly...and I mean dearly...for it!

DDP dropped off the apron and disappeared back up the entrance aisle to boos.

Nelson:That was the Top Guns with an unexpected guest appearance by Dallas Page!

Pic aired of the SC4 logo with the caption: NEXT... THE FINAL UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the final SC 4 update.

VIDEO:

logo_200x200.png

SUPER CLASH 4 UPDATE!

Eric Bischoff was seated at the Super Clash 4 Events Center desk in a suit and tie.

Eric:Hi, everybody. I'm Eric Bischoff.

Super Clash 4 is now upon us, fans!

It takes place next Wednesday, October 18th at the Mecca Arena in Milwaukee with a bell time of 6pm Central time.

Tickets are still available for the wrestling event of 1989. You can purchase them at all Ticketmaster outlets and the Mecca box office.

Can't be at the show in Milwaukee? No problem. We've got you covered.

You can also catch Super Clash 4 live on ESPN: The Total Sports Network!

Now, let's send it to Larry Nelson and Verne Gagne.

Pic flipped and Larry Nelson and Verne Gagne were standing ringside in an empty Showboat Sports Pavilion. Nelson had a mic. Nelson was in a tux and Gagne was dressed in street clothes.

Nelson:This is Larry Nelson with AWA promoter Verne Gagne. Verne, the card is set for Super Clash 4 and it indeed looks like it will be the wrestling event of 1989.

But, we hear you have one more announcement for us.

Verne:I do, Larry. We're gonna have some musical guests at Super Clash 4.

Nelson:Really? I'm sure everyone is dying to know who it is.

Verne:Are you ready?

Nelson:Yes, please don't keep us in suspense!

Verne:I'm proud to announce that The Fabulous Thunderbirds will be performing at Super Clash 4.

Nelson:The Fabulous Thunderbirds! Wow! Songs like 'Tuff Enuff' and 'Wrap it Up'! This should be good!

Verne:I agree, Larry. Now, let's take a look at this special message from the lead singer of the Fabulous Thunderbirds Mr. Kim Wilson.

Pic flipped and Kim Wilson of the FT's was standing in front of a brick wall with mic in hand. He was in street clothes.

Kim:This is Kim Wilson, lead singer of the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

We're excited to be performing for you great AWA wrestling fans at Super Clash 4.

Can't wait for the main event of Sgt. Slaughter and Jerry Lawler to determine the undisputed AWA World Champion.

Rock and wrestling were made for each other.

And on October 18th in Milwaukee the wrestling and the music are gonna rock the Mecca.

See you there.

Pic flipped back to Nelson and Verne.

Nelson:We have five great matches lined up for Super Clash 4 and now a concert by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Verne:I'm excited, Larry!

Nelson:Me, too!

Now, one of the matches on the card promises to be a real war: and that's Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk.

Col. DeBeers, come on in here.

DeBeers walked into the picture in his ring attire and beret.

Nelson: Colonel, we are now just days away from your battle with Tom Zenk at Super Clash 4.

DeBeers:This a battle in what has turned out to be a full-blown, all-out war! This is a battle for truth, justice and the South African way against the decadent, filthy, trashy American way!

Tom Zenk is gonna learn the hard way that Americans must be punished for their bad behavior at the...

Nelson:WHOA!

Tom Zenk charged up behind DeBeers and blasted DeBeers with a forearm smash to the upper back. DeBeers stumbled forward and went down. Zenk grabbed DeBeers and threw DeBeers into the first row of cheap seats on a riser at the Showboat Sports Pavilion. DeBeers down. Zenk droppd down on top of DeBeers and popped DeBeers with head shots. Zenk snapped the Col. up and DeBeers stuck a thumb in Zenk's eye, killing Zenk's offense. DeBeers nailed caught Zenk with a couple of punches and sent Zenk crashing into the last row of ringside seats. Zenk down. DeBeers grabbed one of the chairs (the chairs at the 'Boat were high back, non-folding chairs with with red leather and a gold metal frame) as Zenk made it to his feet. DeBeers moved in and went to strike Zenk with the chair but Zenk got his arms up and blocked the chair shot and knocked the chair out of DeBeers' hands. The two then engaged in a punch exchange on the floor and Zenk got the upper hand and nailed DeBeers with a couple more punches that drove DeBeers into the heel entrance aisle. Zenk tackled DeBeers to the floor and the two engaged in a roll around punch exchange on the floor. AWA officials and security came charging out of the back and, after a brief struggle, managed to separate the two and both men were kept at bay by a wall of security. Zenk and DeBeers had words.

Nelson:Col. DeBeers! Tom Zenk! Save it for Milwaukee!

The pair were kept separate and DeBeers was nudged along to the back by security.

DeBeers picked up on a mic.

DeBeers:All's fair in war, Zenk! You just remember that, American scum!

DeBeers was hustled off as an angry Zenk looked on.

Nelson:Fans! This is Larry Nelson with Verne Gagne on location in Las Vegas!

Pic flipped back to Bischoff in studio.

Eric:I think the DeBeers-Zenk heat level just topped 150 degrees. It's off-the-charts hot. It promises to be boiling hot when those two collide at Super Clash 4.

Here is the rundown of the complete card for Super Clash 4:

MATCH TO DETERMINE THE UNDISPUTED AWA WORLD CHAMPION! THERE MUST BE A WINNER! Jerry Lawler (AWA World Champion) vs. Sgt. Slaughter (AWA World Champion)

STEEL CAGE MATCH (Special Ref: Nick Bockwinkel): Larry Zbyszko vs. Greg Gagne

AWA DEBUT MATCH! Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

THIS IS WAR! Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

CAN HE STAY UNDEFEATED? Sam Houston (Perfect in the AWA) vs. Manny Fernandez

PLUS! The Fabulous Thunderbirds perform!

This is the final announcement on AWA television programming:

Super Clash 4 - Wednesday - October 18th - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 6pm Central time.

Seats are still available through all TicketMaster outlets and the Mecca boxoffice.

Can't be there in person? No problem! Super Clash 4 will be airing live on ESPN: The Total Sports Network starting at 6pm Central time.

Super Clash 4 is indeed shaping up to be the wrestling event of 1989!

I'm Eric Bischoff. See you in Milwaukee.

In-Studio: Nelson did his last hype for SC 4 and told fans who could get to the arena to buy their tickets now if they haven't done so and that they'd be a part of history in the making if they were there live.

Nelson then sent it back to Quandt Fieldhouse.

Magnificent Mimi won a squash match over Winona Ryder via pinfall with her

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Magnificent Mimi! You were in top form there...
Mimi rIpped the mic from Nelson's hand.

Mimi:I just have a couple of things to say.

Crowd booing.

Mimi:Are you booing me because you hate me or are jealous of me.

I mean, you ladies in this audience will never be as hot as me! You are ugly, fat tubs of goo! I don't know how any of you ever landed a man! Sat on him, probably!

More boos.

Mimi:And the men here! Yeccch! Gag! You uber-nerds couldn't even begin to dream of an evening with someone like me because I'm so far out of your league you need a high-powered telescop lie the one at the L.A. Observatory just to see the soles of my stillettos!

The other thing is this! The contract has been signed! It's gonna me vs. Kai and winner faces AWA World Champion Wendi Richter!

The only downer about all this is that I have to beat Kai...and then Richter...in front of gross people like you!

Mimi shoved the mic back into Nelson's chest, left and headed back up the aisle to boos.

Nelson:Magnificent Mimi, everyone.

Pic aired of the AWA World Title with the caption: NEXT... FINAL WORDS!

Commercials

THE GREAT DEBATE

Two podiums with mics were set up in the ring and Larry Nelson, mic in hand, was standing between the podiums.

Nelson:It is now time for the final words from Jerry Lawler and Sgt. Slaughter!

Crowd buzzing.

Nelson:Introducing first! From Memphis, Tennessee! He claims to be the real AWA World Champion, Jerry 'The KIng' Lawler!

30/70 cheer/boo split as Lawler came down the heel aisle to the ring in street clothes with the AWA belt cradled in his left arm.

Lawler climbed in the ring and looked out at the crowd and then walked to his podium and placed his title belt on the podium.

Nelson:And now!

Crowd buzzing.

Nelson:He hails from Parris Island, South Carolina, he also is laying claim to being the real AWA World Champion...Sgt. Slaughter!

Marine Corps hymn played and out came Sarge to a solid ovation. Sarge was in street clothes and had the belt slung over his shoulder. Sarge made his way down the face aisle and climbed into the ring and saluted the crowd. Sarge then walked over to his podium and placed his belt on the podium.

Nelson:Wednesday, October 18th, will be the day when we finally have an undisputed AWA World Champion agan. Will it be Sgt. Slaughter or Jerry Lawler?

I also want to point out that the security you see at ringside is here to make sure nothing happens between Lawler and Slaughter like it did a few weeks ago at the contract signing for the match at the Las Vegas landmark the Green Shack restaurant.

First, we will let each wrestler make a statement.

Jerry Lawler, you won the coin toss backstage. You have chosen to speak first.

More boos than cheers for Lawler.

Lawler:The thing I want to bring up is that the AWA keeps saying that I'm some sort of 'disputed' AWA World Champion or that I'm 'laying claim' to being the World Champion like I just made all this up out of thin air. What garbage. I beat Curt Hennig for this belt and I have never lost it. So that makes me the real AWA World Champion. If there's a 'disputed ' champion in this ring right now it's not me; it's Sgt. Slaughter. He never beat me for this belt and that's all there is to it.

I can't wait for Wednesday in Milwaukee. At Super Clash 4, I will show the world that I am indeed the real AWA World Champion and I have been the champ since May '88. And I will expose Sgt. Slaughter for being the fraud World Champion that we all know he really is.

Nelson:Thank you, Jerry Lawler. Sgt. Slaughter.

Sarge:Thank you, Larry Nelson.

Sarge held up his title.

Sarge:This belt looks exactly like the AWA World Title you absconded with, Lawler. I beat Larry Zbyszko to win this belt and that's that. Therefore, because you seemed to disappear without a trace for a while, we needed a new World Champion and we got one: first in Zbyszko and then me. My World Title reign is just as valid as yours if not moreso. But everything will finally be settled at Super Clash 4. I am determined more than I ever have been to show these fans that I am the real deal; that I'm a World Champion people can respect.

I know it won't be easy at Super Clash 4. But something you work hard for makes it all worthwhile. I'm coming for you, Lawler. And I have every intention of showing you and everyone else that I am indeed the worthy holder of this belt.

Many in the crowd cheered.

Nelson:Jerry Lawler.

Lawler:You used the word' absconded', Sarge. Look at this crowd. Do you think any of them know what the hell the word even means? Just look at them. I can feel the IQ draining out of my body just being in their presence.

Strong boos.

Lawler:You seem like you're determined to prove something to yourself, Sarge. What is bothering you? What is eating at you so much that feel you have to show us that you're deserving of being called the AWA World Champion? You know the answer, Sarge. Your'e a fraud! You're a fake! You're a phony World Champion!

When you're exposed by me at Super Clash 4, not only will you be exposed as a fraud...but when the ref calls for the bell, raises my hand and hands me the two AWA World Title belts, it will destroy your career because people, even those who are perpetually unemployed like these people out here, will see through you. Like the cockroach, you will scatter when I shine a big light on you at Super Clash 4 exposing you as a fraud and a grifter.

Nelson:Sgt. Slaughter.

Sarge:So now I'm also a grifter, huh?

Lawler:Well, you're pretending to be the World Champion for big paydays...

Sarge:Hey, Lawler! This is my time to speak!

Lawler:Go ahead...fraud! Speak your piece!

Sarge:Shut up, then!

Lawler:I see the money you've made as the fake World Champion has really upped your economic status. You're living proof that crime does pay!

Nelson:Please, Jerry! This is Sgt. Slau...

Sarge:That's it! You're now calling me an outright criminal!

Sarge held up his belt with one hand.

Sarge:My World Title is just as valid as yours, Lawler!

I'm climbing the walls waiting for Super Clash 4 to arrive! I feel like I have to clear my name because you've dragged it through the mud these last several months!

But I'm gonna wash the muck and grime away, Lawler, with a fact! And that fact is I'm beating you at Super Clash 4 and settling this issue once and for all!

Most in the crowd cheered.

Lawler:Sarge, you've lived in a dream world the last several months pretending to be something your not: and that's the AWA World Champion!

Well, that dream world you're living in is gonna crash against the rocks of reality when you go down in flames at Super Clash 4!

And one more thing: I'm gonna make sure you wind up broke for the crime of fraud you've committed! You've pranced around making people believe you're something you're not!

But, the good news is, in my great benevolence, I will help you finance a new home at a mobile home park I know of in Memphis. I'm a man of great compassion.

So, life will have a happy ending for you, Sarge. You and your wife, Mrs. Hungry Hungry Hippo, will have a place to squat.

Now...

Sarge:Dammit, Lawler!

Sarge went to move on Lawler and Lawler backed up as security quickly stepped into the ring and kept the two apart.

The two glared at each other over a wall of security as the program ended.

END PROGRAM

s-l400.jpg

THE TIME FOR TALKING IS OVER!

TO BE DECIDED AT SUPER CLASH 4!

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
FALL 1989

PFISTER HOTEL - MILWAUKEE, WI - WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 18 - MORNING OF SUPER CLASH 4

Verne and Greg Gagne had arrived early for their meeting with John Waters and Deborah Harry.

They were seated at their table in the swanky, very upscale Pfister Hotel. Verne and Greg were each drinking orange juice and were reading sections of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Greg looked up from his paper.

Greg: They're coming.

Harry and Waters had just entered the restaurant. All four of the meeting attendees were dressed casually.

Deb: Hey, Greg, Verne.

The four exchanged handshakes and greetings.

John: Nice to finally meet you.

Verne: Good to meet instead of just talking over the phone.

Deb: It is.

The waitress came and took Harry's and Waters' drink orders and handed all of them menus.

The four made small talk. The waitress brought over coffee for Waters and OJ for Harry.

John: This is a fabulous hotel.

Greg: It's one of Milwaukee's best.

John looked around some more.

John: I can see why.

The group then decided what to have for breakfast.

Verne: Breakfast here is delicious.

Deb: At these prices it better be.

All four laughed.

The waitress came back and took their orders and then headed off in another direction.

Verne: Well, have you two had any luck finding a third investor?

Deb: Unfortunately, no. We just talked with record producer Rick Rubin, who's a huge wrestling fan, but he feels the risk is too high to make an investment in the AWA right now.

Verne:I see. Have you talked with anyone else?

John: Yes. We've talked with some other people in music and Hollywood. Also talked to a couple of people in business. Right now, the well is dry when it comes to a third investor.

Deb: You've still got the $3 million dollar asking price, right?

Verne and Greg looked at each other for a moment.

Deb: What is it?

Verne: Well, we need to inform you that there are two other offers on the table.

John: Can we ask who these other potential buyers are?

Really quick: do you mind if I smoke?

Greg: Go ahead.

John: Thank you.

As John lit up, Verne explained.

Verne: I've met with Jim Crockett recently and he's interested in purchasing.

Deb: He just sold the NWA to Turner for something like...

Verne: $9...$9 million dollars.

John whistled between puffs of his Pall Mall.

Deb: Is that the most ever paid for a wrestling promotion before?

Greg: As far as we know.

Verne: The thing is I just don't know if he'd have the money for the long haul. I know he shorted Bill Watts a few years ago when he bought the UWF from him for the price of $4 million. He stopped payiung Watts off on the deal after paying...what...

Greg: Just over a million. That's what he'd paid to Watts.

Verne: Maybe Crockett intends to buy it, try and turn things around and then sell it to someone else.

Deb: Hmmmm...

Verne: He also broached the idea of looking for other investors to help offset the cost of buying the AWA.

John: So...who's the other potential buyer? Spill.

Verne: Spill?

Deb: It means give the details.

Verne: Oh! Haha!

Well, the other possible buyer is Vince McMahon.

The life seemed to drain out of John and Deb.

John: How much is he willing to pony up if he has a price?

Verne: $3.5 million.

Deb and John shifted around in their seats.

Verne: Look, I know he's placed the biggest offer on the table. I met with him the other day and we discussed the matter. But I let him know that I haven't made up my mind yet on who to sell to.

You guys are still in the game. I don't trust his vision for the company if he buys it.

John nervously pulled out a another smoke and lit it with a lucifer and took a huge drag off of it.

Deb: But this is still a business and business is about maximum profits.

Verne: What I'm looking for are reasonable offers. I'm listening to anyone who seems serious about buying and you guys are serious; Crockett's serious.

John: Does Vince have a drop dead date for when you have to make a decision regarding his offer?

Verne: Yes. Tomorrow.

You could feel the air leave the room.

Just then the waitress came with the food. She served up the food to the diners, asked if there was anything else and left when told everything was fine.

John: Wow! That's really cutting it close. There's no way we could come up with a counter-offer to match McMahon's in that short period of time.

Verne: I'm still undecided and I'm thinking of calling Vince tomorrow and asking for a few more days before I make a decision.

The group then settled into eating their breakfasts and chatting about the food before the convo turned back to selling.

John: How about this? Give us five more days to see if we can come up with another investor or two. Just five days.

Verne: That sounds fair. I've also got to contact Crockett and let him know what's going on so he can look at getting his ducks in a row.

Waitress came by and checked on the diners and brought them more beverages in hopes of enlarging her tip.

Verne: This is not over by a long-shot. Just asking for a fair, reasonable offer.

Deb: You'll have one in a few days or we will bow out. Don't want to keep you turning in the wind.

John: Changing the subject, we're really looking forward to Super Clash 4 tonight.

Deb: Yeah!

Verne: Glad to hear it. Interest has really picked up in the AWA in recent months.

John: Can't wait to see Greg vs. Zbyszko in the cage match.

Greg: Thank you. Hoping to make a good showing against Zbyszko.

Deb: The overall show looks good. And bringing in Greg Valentine seems like a winner to me.

Verne: We're hoping he'll help move tickets.

Deb: That's the name of the game.

John pulled out another cancer stick and lit it with another lucifer.

Deb: It should be a hot crowd.

Greg: Milwaukee's always been a good town for the AWA. These fans love beer, brats and brawling.

John: Don't forget the Packers.

Greg: Hard to forget 'em. This is Packer Country.

John: Do you mind if I ask what ticket sales have been like for the show?

Greg: As of yesterday, over 5,600 tickets had been sold. Hopefully, we have a good walk-up tonight. But we're pleased with 5,600 because business has been down until recently. Interest in the AWA is coming back.

Deb: Well, if we buy the promotion we are looking to be the true alternative to the WWF.

Verne: That's the main reason I didn't sell to Vince right off the bat. I'm still hoping to find a buyer who will stick with a more serious, wrestling-centered product.

That's why I'm still open to bids for the company and am willing to negotiate in good faith with folks like you who put a premium on good wrestling.

The quartet finshed their breakfasts.

The waitress came back and replinished their drinks, cleared off the table and asked how everything was.

Deb: That was an excellent breakfast.

John: Indeed it was.

Verne: Been here before. Never had a bad meal yet.

Greg: Good stuff. Real good.

The waitress cleared the table and left.

Waters took a big drag off his Pall Mall.

John: I notice the Fabulous Thunderbirds are performing on the show.

Verne: They are. Thought it would be a good idea to have a music act on the show.

Deb: Looking forward to meeting them and some of the wrestlers.

Verne: Parking team should direct you where to park tonight so you won't have to go through a gauntlet of fans.

John: I'm really interested in how the crowd reacts to the matches.

Verne: As Greg said earlier, Milwaukee's been a historically hot wrestling town for us.

The waitress came back with the check and Verne reached for it.

Deb: You sure, Verne?

Verne: Yes. It's my pleasure.

Verne reached into his pants pocket and pulled out his wallet and handed the waitress his credit card and the check. Waitress left to run the card.

John: Thank you, Verne.

Deb: Yes. Thank you very much.

The four sipped their bevs and engaged in more small talk about the night's show and Verne and Greg learned more about Waters' and Harry's interesting lives and careers.

The waitress brought the card and check back and handed them to Verne. Verne signed off on the bill and handed it back to the waitress. Waitress thanked the foursome for coming.

After a little more small talk, the four got up, shook hands and went their separate ways until the evening's festivities.

Tomorrow, Verne was gonna try and buy a little more time with Vince. But would Vince be patient enough to wait five more days for an answer?

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
FALL 1989

PFISTER HOTEL - MILWAUKEE, WI - WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 18 - MORNING OF SUPER CLASH 4

Post-breakfast with Verne and Greg Gagne.

Deborah Harry and John Waters arrived back at the suite they were sharing at the Pfister Hotel after the breakfast with Verne and Greg Gagne.

Harry: Well, there goes that.

Waters: What?

Harry: Any chance at buying the AWA.

I don't see how we can compete with that offer from McMahon.

The goal was to try and strike a deal around the $2.4-$2.5 million mark to buy the company. No chance for that now.

Waters: Right. But I still think the deal is salvageable.

Harry: How? The odds of finding a third investor are extremely slim in the next five days.

Waters: Not that slim.

Harry: Explain.

Harry pulled out a smoke, lit it and took a big drag off of it.

Waters: Did you not hear what Verne said in that meeting?

Harry: About what?

Waters: He said he's looking for a reasonable offer and would rather sell to buyers who are interested in continuing to present wrestling as a sport.

Harry rolled her eyes.

Harry: I heard it, John. But I don't see how...

Waters: Deb, he dropped the third investor right in our laps.

Harry: Who?

Waters: Jim Crockett! Don't you see?

Harry: See what? He's a competing buyer for the AWA.

Waters: Verne said he doesn't know how long Crockett could last without another investor!

Harry's eyes lit up.

Harry: So, we see about bringing on Crockett as the third investor!

Waters: That's right, hon!

Tomorrow, before we leave town, I'll contact Verne and ask for Crockett's number. If he asks what it's for I'll just tell him the truth.

We talk with Crockett and if he's interested, we'll see how much he's willing to pony up.

Harry: Have you got an offer in mind?

Waters: Because McMahon has entered the picture, I figure we'll have to offer at least $3 million.

Harry: That sounds reasonable. But why not just talk to Verne about it at the show tonight?

Waters: He'll have enough on his mind with the show and all. Best to broach the subject when the show is over and Verne's had a night's sleep.

Harry: I agree. I think you might have kept us in the game, Mr. Waters.

Waters: We'll see, hon.

But what happens if Jim Crockett says no???

STAY TUNED...

NEXT POST... SUPER CLASH 4!!!

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
DARK MATCHES

NON-TITLE:The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans
WINNER: Patera & Rheingans - Submission - Patera made Enos submit to the swinging full nelson - 10:24

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Wendi Richter (WC) vs. Linda Dallas
WINNER: Richter - Pinfall -Powerbomb - 5:07

SUPER CLASH 4 - LIVE ON ESPN! - MECCA ARENA - MILWAUKEE, WI - OCTOBER 18, 1989

Show opened with a shot of the steel cage around the ring.

Camera then panned around the cheering crowd.

Announcers Lee Marshall and Lord James Blears welcomed fans to the wrestling event of 1989...Super Clash 4!

The two talked briefly about how exciting it was to be a part of pro wrestling history.

They then ran down the card:

MATCH TO DETERMINE THE UNDISPUTED AWA WORLD CHAMPION! Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC) vs. Jerry Lawler (AWA WC)

THIS IS WAR! Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

AWA DEBUT MATCH: Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

CAN HE REMAIN UNDEFEATED? Sam Houston (Undefeated in the AWA) vs. Manny Fernandez

PLUS! A musical performance by The Fabulous Thunderbirds

Announcers then said it was time for the opening match:

STEEL CAGE MATCH ( w/ Special Ref Nick Bockwinkel)
Greg Gagne vs. Larry Zbyszko

Ring announcer Larry Nelson welcomed back to the AWA the special referee for the cage match Nick Bockwinkel.

Bockwinkel came out to a good ovation from the crowd.

Bockwinkel, dressed in the traditional ref attire of the zebra shirt, black pants and black shoes, made his way down the face aisle, climbed into the cage and waved to the fans.

Nelson then intro'd Greg Gagne. Gagne came out to a fairly strong positive response from the crowd.

Greg made his way down the face aisle and climbed into the ring and walked over to a neutral corner.

Nelson intro'd Larry Zbyszko. Zbyszko came out to strong boos from the crowd but he did have a small group of supporters.

Zbyszko climbed into the cage.

Zbyszko demanded the ring mic from Larry Nelson and got it.

Zbyszko: Since Nick Bockwinkel is the referee of this match, I want it known that I am wrestling this match under protest!

Crowd booed as Zbyszko handed the mic back to Nelson.

Zbyszko then said something to Bockwinkel that Nick did not respond to.

Zbyszko went to a neutral corner.

Announcers pointed out the only ways to win were by pinfall or submission...no escaping the cage.

Bockwinkel called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corners and circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Zbyszko gained the upper hand and drove Greg against the ropes. Nick called for a break. Zbyszko broke slowly with his hands raised to show he was doing nothing illegal. The two men circled one another again and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up. This time, Greg gained the advantage and drove Zbyszko into the corner. Nick again ordered a break in the hold. Greg broke and backed up a little. Zbyszko yelled at Bockwinkel and gestured that Greg had pulled his hair. Loud boos from the crowd. As Greg looked over at Nick, Zbyszko took the opportunity to catch Greg with a kick to the gut. Zbyszko then grabbed Greg and repeatedly slammed Greg's head into the top turnbuckle. Zbyszko then pulled Greg out of the corner and raked Greg's eyes across the top rope. Nick admonished Zbyszko as Greg staggered off grabbing at his eyes. Zbyszko up behind Greg and caught Greg with a rake to the back. Greg in pain staggering around the ring. Zbyszko stalked up behind Greg and caught Greg with another back rake. Zbyszko then grabbed Greg by the back of the hair and threw Greg head-first into the cage. Zbyszko grabbed Greg and threw Greg head-first into the opposite side of the cage. Greg turned, stumbled forward and Zbyszko greeted Greg with a jumping spin kick to the chest. Greg crashed to the mat. Zbyszko dropped down on top of Greg and popped Greg in the head with a series of punches and then started biting Greg's forehead. Nick counting. Zbyszko broke the illegal move at the count of 4. Zbyszko up and he and Nick exchanged some words. As Greg was getting up, Zbyszko caught Greg with a kick to the side of the ribs, grabbed Greg and scraped Greg's face across the steel mesh. Greg down.

Zbyszko picked up on a mic.

Zbyszko: You're not gonna be able to help Verne's boy tonight, Bockwinkel!

Zbyszko booted Greg and snapped Greg up by the hair. Greg now bleeding. Zbyszko threw Greg head-first into cage. Greg rebounded and staggered away from the cage and Zbyszko grabbed Greg and went to whip Greg into the opposite side of the cage but Greg reversed and sent Zbyszko slamming head-first into the cage. Crowd popped. Zbyszko turned and walked right into a dropkick from Gagne. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Zbyszko up and Greg caught Zbyszko with a second dropkick. Zbyszko crashed back down to the mat. Greg snapped up Zbyszko and repaid Zbyszko by raking Zbyszko's eyes across the top rope to the delight of the crowd. Nick reprimanded Greg.

Blears: Nick said he was gonna call it right down the middle and he's done just that, Lee.

Marshall: He has, Lord James.

Greg grabbed Zbyszko and whipped Zbyszko into the buckles. Greg followed Zbyszko in and monkey flipped Zbyszko out of the corner. Zbyszko up and Greg moved in and peppered Zbyszko with a series of head shots and then dragged Larry's forehead across the unforgiving steel mesh. Zbyszko went down. Greg went to grab Zbyszko but Nick stepped in and ordered Greg to step back because Zbyszko had his foot on the bottom rope. Crowd booed Nick's call. Zbyszko to his knees in the ring and now bleeding. Greg caught Zbyszko with a head shot and then repaid Zbyszko once more by biting Zbyszko's bloody head to the delight of the crowd. Nick counting. Greg broke the bite party at the count of 4. Greg pulled Zbyszko up and whipped Zbyszko into the ropes and looked to catch Zbyszko coming off with a backdrop but Zbyszko caught Greg in a front facelock and turned it into a swinging neckbreaker. Both men down. Nick started the 10-count. The count grew and Zbyszko managed to maneuver his body on top of Greg's for the pin. 1...2... Greg kicked out. Zbyszko up and slapped his hands together slowly and yelled that Nick had slow counted the pin. The two had words. Greg recovered and rolled Zbyszko up from behind for the pin. 1...2... Zbyszko kicked out. The two men up and Zbyszko caught Greg with a kick to the gut. Zbyszko then went to hoist Greg up for the piledriver but Greg twice blocked the move and backdropped Zbyszko to the mat. Zbyszko up and Greg caught Zbyszko with a dropkick. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Zbyszko up and Greg caught Zbyszko with a kick to the side of the ribs. Greg threw Zbyszko towards the cage and Zbyszko got airborne and crashed horizontally into the steel. Zbyszko slid down to the apron. Greg reached down over the top rope, grabbed Zbyszko and ran Zbyszko down the apron and slammed Zbyszko's head into the ring bolt that connected the top buckle with the ring post. Zbyszko crumpled to the apron.

Greg went to grab Zbyszko and Nick stepped in and ordered Greg back. Greg had a brief verbal exchange with Nick. Zbyszko shaky getting to his feet and even bloodier. Greg caught Zbyszko with a head shot and pulled Zbyszko back into the ring. Greg went to whip Zbyszko into the ropes but Zbyszko reversed and caught Greg coming off with a jumping spin kick to the chest. Greg crashed to the mat. Zbyszko then stomped away on Greg, snapped Greg up and went to hit Greg with a belly-to-back suplex but Greg flipped out of Zbyszko's arms, dropped down behind Zbyszko and caught Zbyszko in the Gagne Sleeper (TM). Crowd cheered. Zbyszko struggling to free himself from the hold. He maneuvered close enough to the ropes while still locced in the hold to get a hand on the top rope in an attempt to force a break but Greg yanked Zbyszko away from the ropes. Zbyszko still locked in the sleeper. Zbyszko was able to maneuver around and drive Greg back-first hard into the buckles forcing Greg to lose his grip on the hold. Zbyszko moved out of the corner and quickly regained his bearings as Greg moved out of the corner holding the top rope. Zbyszko moved in behind Greg and nailed Greg with a two-fisted backsmash. Zbyszko repeated the move and Greg went down to a knee. Zbyszko then moved in and popped Greg with a series of deliberate head shots, pulled Greg to his feet and threw Greg head-first into the cage. Greg rebounded off the cage, turned around and Zbyszko hit Greg with punches and the violently rubbed Greg's face into the steel mesh. Greg down. Nick ordered Zbyszko back. Zbyszko and Nick exchanged words. Zbyszko shoved Nick and Nick returned the favor. Crowd popped.

Greg up and bloodier then before. As Greg climbed through the top and middle rope back into the ring, Zbyszko caught Greg with a knee to the side of the ribs. Zbyszko hoisted Greg up and hit Greg with a shoulder breaker across the knee. Zbyszko for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr... Greg kicked out. Fans cheered. Zbyszko up, turned toward Nick and Zbyszko yelled at Nick that it was a slow count. The two briefly argued.

Larry picked up on a mic.

Larry: I'm leaving!

Marshall: Has Zbyszko forgotten that the only way you can win the match is by pinfall or submission?!

Nelson (over the p.a. system): You can only win this cage match by pinfall or submission! Walk out of the cage and leave and you lose the match!

Zbyszko ignored the warning, headed to the cage door and demanded it be opened. Official on the floor opened the cage door. Nick tried to order Zbyszko to stay in the ring. Zbyszko gave the blow off gesture with his hands. Zbyszko started to leave the cage. Greg recovered enough and lunged over and grabbed Zbyszko around the waist. A struggle ensued and Greg was able to pull Zbyszko away from the cage door. Door was shut and locked again. Greg spun Zbyszko around and caught Zbyszko with a few punches and then went to whip Zbyszko into the ropes but Zbyszko reversed and looked to catch Greg coming off with a backdrop but Greg caught Zbyszko in a sunset flip try. Zbyszko grabbed the top rope and held on to keep from being flipped. Nick saw Zbyszko grabbing the top rope and kicked Zbyszko's hands off the top rope and Greg completed the sunset flip for the pin try. 1...2...thr... Zbyszko kicked out. Crowd groaned. Zbyszko up and had a heated exchange with Nick. Greg came up behind Zbyszko, ran Zbyszko into the ropes and rolled up Zbyszko for the pin. 1...2... Zbyszko reached up and grabbed a handful of tights and reversed the pin try. 1... Zbyszko holding onto Greg's tights ...2...thr. Greg managed to kick Zbyszko off. The two men up and Greg nailed Zbyszko with a dropkick. Zbyszko down. Zbyszko to his feet and Greg popped Zbyszko with a second dropkick. Zbyszko again down. Zbyszko slow to get up and Greg caught Zbyszko with a third dropkick and Zbyszko crashed back down to the mat. Zbyszko down and extremely slow getting up. Greg moved in and reached down to pull Zbyszko to his feet when Zbyszko stunned Greg with a quick jab to the throat. Greg staggered off holding his throat. Nick reprimanded Zbyszko and the two briefly argued again.

Zbyszko picked up on a mic:

Zbyszko: Screw you, Bockwinkel.

Crowd booed.

Zbyszko popped Greg with a series of forearm smashes to the back and spun Greg around and hoisted Greg up and blasted Greg with a piledriver. Zbyszko for the cover. 1...2... Greg got his foot on the bottom rope. ...thr... Nick instead patted Zbyszko on the back. Zbyszko to his feet and raised his hands in defiant victory as most of the crowd booed. Nick went over and yanked Zbyszko's arm down and waved off the win. Zbyszko livid. The two started jawing at one another again and Zbyszko accused Bockwinkel of bias and outright theft. Nick fired back that Greg had his foot on the bottom rope before the three count. While that was going on, Greg had managed to get to his hands and knees. Zbyszko turned back to greg and reached down to pull Greg to his feet but Greg caught Zbyszko with a trio of deliberate gut shots. Greg now to his feet and popped Zbyszko with a trio of head shots and threw Zbyszko head-first into the middle post that holds up one side of the cage. Zbyszko slammed into the post, staggered backwards and crashed to the mat. Greg snapped up Zbyszko and hoisted Zbyszko onto the top turnbuckle. Greg mounted the middle rope and slammed the back of Zbyszko's head into the cage corner where the posts meet.

Marshall: Greg's doing to Zbyszko what Zbyszko did to poor George South in that steel cage demonstration a couple of weeks ago!

Greg slammed the back of Zbyszko's head into the cage corner two more times. Greg dropped to the mat. A stunned Zbyszko rocked forward and fell off the top buckle and crumpled to the mat. Zbyszko dazed and confused laying on the mat with his face covered in blood. Zbyszko then found his way to his hands and knees and started to crawl out of the corner. Greg went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle. Zbyszko got to his feet in an unsteady fashion facing away from Greg. Zbyszko looked around for Greg and then turned and Greg greeted Zbyszko with a flying bodypress off the top rope. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Greg covered Zbyszko and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Most of the crowd popped as Nick called for the bell. Greg slowly got to his feet and Nick raised his hand in victory to more cheers. Zbyszko still down in the ring. The tired, victorious warrior left the cage and made his way back up the face entrance aisle.

In the ring, Zbyszko had sat up. Nick was checking on him. Zbyszko still looked dazed. Nick, in a show of sportsmanshp, helped Zbyszko to his feet. Zbyszko repaid the kindness by shoving Nick
and then making his way out of the cage to boos.

Zbyszko went over to the timekeeper's table and grabbed the ring announcer's mic.

Zbyszko: I am accusing Nick Bockwinkel of bias and a fast count!

Zbyszko tossed the mic as the boos got louder for him. Zbyszko disappeared back up the heel antrance aisle.

WINNER: Greg Gagne - Pinfall - 16:42

Announcers discussed Greg defeating Zbyszko in an exciting cage match and how Bockwinkel lived up to his word and called the match right down the middle.

Blears: The right man won the match and won it fairly, Lee. Bockwinkel did a great job in there.

The announcers then hyped the World Title main event.

Said DeBeers vs. Zenk was next.

Commercials

Back from commercial...

Larry Nelson announced it was time for DeBeers vs. Zenk.

Crowd buzzing.

THIS IS WAR!

Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

A 15/85 split cheers to boos as Col. DeBeers made his way down the heel aisle to the ring.

DeBeers climbed up on the apron and looked out at the crowd twirling his 'stache while announced by Larry Nelson.

DeBeers climbed into the ring. More boos and some trash thrown his way.

Nelson: And his opponent!

Tom Zenk came charging down the face aisle. Nelson didn't even finish the introduction of Zenk before Zenk hit the ring. DeBeers charged at Zenk and went to punch Zenk but Zenk blocked the punch try and fired away on DeBeers with a series punches that dropped the Col. Ref called for the bell. DeBeers up next to the ropes and Zenk charged over and blasted DeBeers with a running clothesline that sent DeBeers head-over-heels crashing to the floor. Fans into it. Zenk ignored the ref and dropped to the floor and grabbed DeBeers and sent DeBeers crashing into the ring steps. Ref started the 10-count. DeBeers down next to the steps. Zenk snapped up DeBeers and slammed DeBeers head into the top step. Zenk then grabbed DeBeers and threw DeBeers back into the ring. DeBeers to his feet as Zenk climbed back in. DeBeers started to back up and was begging off until he'd backed himself into the corner. Zenk moved in and raised his right fist and looked to the crowd for approval. With the exception of those who supported Apartheid*, the rest of the crowd roared. Zenk popped DeBeers with a head shot and then mounted the middle buckle and popped DeBeers with another 10 head shots as those who weren't for Apartheid counted along. Zenk dropped back to the mat and pulled the stunned DeBeers out of the corner and whipped DeBeers into the ropes. DeBeers caught the top rope and held on. Zenk charged at DeBeers and DeBeers backdropped Zenk over the top rope down to the floor. Zenk down on the concrete. DeBeers shook out the early Zenk assault in the ring as the ref started the 10-count. Zenk slow to get up. DeBeers went to leave the ring but the ref stopped him. Ref ordered DeBeers back. Zenk up next to the apron. Ref re-started the 10-count. DeBeers over and stomped Zenk in the head, ignored the ref and dropped to the floor. DeBeers clocked Zenk with a forearm smash to the back and then whipped Zenk at the ring post and Zenk slammed shoulder-first into the post and staggered off. Ref had re-started the 10-count. DeBeers quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the count. DeBeers stalked Zenk and came up behind Zenk and popped him with a punch to the side of the ribs. DeBeers then grabbed Zenk around the waist and and deliberately slammed Zenk back-first into the ring apron twice. Zenk dropped to a knee on the floor. DeBeers again rolled into and out of the ring to break the 10-count. The pro-Apartheid crowd in attendance was now loving it.

DeBeers snapped Zenk up and went to whip Zenk into the post again but Zenk reversed and sent DeBeers slamming head-first into the post. Zenk fell back against the apron as DeBeers went down on the floor. Ref counting. Zenk quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. DeBeers on his hands and knees on the floor and Zenk pulled DeBeers by the hair and...SURPRISE!...another fire gruden special...DeBeers was bleeding. Zenk threw DeBeers back into the ring. Zenk climbed in and DeBeers swung widly at Zenk and missed and spun himsefl around and Zenk popped DeBeers with an atomic drop. DeBeers dropped to his knees holding the jewels. Zenk then popped DeBeers in the head with more punches. Zenk snapped up DeBeers and slammed DeBeers head into the top buckle. DeBeers spun around in the corner and Zenk hit DeBeers with a trio of deliberate shoulder blocks to the gut. Zenk whipped DeBeers into the opposite corner and charged and looked to blast DeBeers with a running shoulder block but DeBeers moved and Zenk crashed shoulder-first into the ring post. Zenk with his shoulder practically welded to the post. DeBeers shook out the effects of the violent match and grabbed Zenk and rolled Zenk up from behind for the pin. 1... DeBeers grabbed a handful of tights. ...2... Zenk got a shoulder up. DeBeers tried again for the pin and once again grabbed a handful of tights. 1...2... Zenk kicked DeBeers off and DeBeers slammed back-first into the buckles. Zenk to his feet. Both men feeling the effects of the match and not no-selling like the grapplers of today. Zenk moved in on DeBeers and DeBeers caught Zenk with a kick to the gut. Zenk stumbled back holding his gut. DeBeers moved out and caught Zenk with a couple of bionic elbows to the top of the head. Zenk stunned. DeBeers went to whip Zenk into the buckles but Zenk reversed and DeBeers crashed front-first into the buckles and crashed to the mat. Zenk briefly shaking out the effects of the match as DeBeers got to his feet. DeBeers moved in and went to punch Zenk but Zenk blocked the punch try and Zenk fired back on DeBeers with a series of punches that drove DeBeers into the corner. Zenk reared back and hit DeBeers with a big right hand that dropped the Colonel. DeBeers rolled out on the apron. Ref ordered Zenk to stand back. Zenk tried to grab DeBeers but the ref stood in between him and DeBeers. Zenk arguing with the ref. DeBeers made it to his feet facing the crowd.

DeBeers reached into the side pocket of his camo pants and quickly pulled out his hand.

Marshall: Wait a minute! What's that blue stuff on DeBeers' thumb?!

Blears: I have no idea.

DeBeers still facing the crowd when Zenk came up behind DeBeers and spun DeBeers around with the ref in between the pair. Zenk trying to pull DeBeers back into the ring. Ref caught in the middle. DeBeers quickly jabbed his blue thumb in Zenk's eye. Zenk stumbled back and crashed to the mat holding his eye. DeBeers calmly climbed back into the ring. Zenk in great pain and down on the mat. DeBeers reached down, grabbed Zenk, hoisted Zenk up and blasted Zenk with his face-first piledriver finisher. DeBeers rolled Zenk over on his back for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell. Pro-Apartheid crowd cheered their hero as the rest of the crowd booed. Zenk still down holding his eye. DeBeers made sure the ref raised his left hand for obvious reasons.

Marshall: What in the world did DeBeers just do to Zenk's eye?!

Blears: We don't know what that stuff is, Lee. But it's clear that it helped in giving DeBeers the victory.

DeBeers left the ring and dropped to the floor and was quickly approached by Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers! What did you stick in Tom Zenk's...

DeBeers: Shut up! What the people just witnessed in that ring was a victory for decency and morality over vile, shallow American decadence!

The people in this crowd worship at the altar of chemically enhanced muscleheads like Zenk and negro athletes like those on the Green Bay Packers! It's disgusting! Shame on them!

Most of the crowd went nuclear. A beer was flung in the Colonel's direction and splashed both he and Nelson.

Nelson: I think that was intended for you!

Why do you have your thumb wrapped up in your fist?

DeBeers: That is classified!

DeBeers turned and walked off. More garbage flung at him.

Shot of Zenk being attended to in the ring by the ref.

Nelson: If we find out anything during the broadcast regarding what DeBeers had on his thumb when he stuck it in Zenk's eye as well as Zenk's status, I'll pass the news along.

WINNER: DeBeers - Pinfall - 11:33

Announcers Marshall and Blears discussed DeBeers winning the match with the use of a foreign substance.

Blears: I hope the substance doesn't damage Zenk's sight in that eye, Lee.

Marshall: Only time will tell, Lord James. I think DeBeers would be willing to maim someone if it helped him win a match.

Blears: He has that dangerous mercenary mindset, Lee. Anything goes with those people as long as it gets the job done.

Announcers hyped Greg Valentine's debut match later in the program and said coming up next...THE MAIN EVENT!

(* DeBeers was a staunch defender of the Apartheid regime in South Africa.)

Commercials

Back from commercials...

Larry Nelson was standing mid-ring waiting for the participants.

Royal coronation music filled the arena and 70% of the people in the crowd booed and 30% cheered as Jerry Lawler made his way down the heel aisle to the ring. Lawler was in his ring attire, crown and had his version of the AWA belt around his waist.

Lawler made his way to the ring and climbed in and walked around for a moment soaking in the crowd reaction before walking over to a corner.

Marine Corps hymn played and out came Sgt. Slaughter to a solid majority reaction but he also had his detractors. Sarge was in his ring attire, DI hat and had his version of the AWA Title around his waist. Sarge didn't hand out flags on the way to the ring and was clearly laser-focused on the task at hand.

Sarge climbed into the ring and saluted the fans. Sarge briefly soaked in the 70/30 pro-Sarge crowd reaction before going to the corner opposite Lawler.

Nelson: Ladies and gentlemen...this is the main event of Super Clash 4!

This contest is scheduled for one fall with no time limit, there must be a winner and is to determine the undisputed AWA World Heavyweight Champion!

Introducing first...he won the AWA World Championship in May 1988 and never officially lost it! Weighing in at 243 pouds...from Memphis, Tennessee...Jerry 'The King' Lawler!

Majority of the crowd booed as Lawler stepped out of the corner and raised his version of the AWA strap in the air with both hands.

Lawler then lowered the belt and pointed at himself.

Nelson: And his opponent!

Buzz rippled through the crowd.

Nelson: He won the AWA World Championship in April of this year and has not lost it! Weighing in at 305 pounds...from Parris Island, South Carolina...Sgt. Slaughter!

Strong pop for Sarge from his 70% fan base. Sarge stepped out of his corner and raised his belt in the air with one hand and pointed at himself.

Nelson: Your referee is Marty Miller!

Miller took the belt from each man held them up for the fans to see before handing them off to Larry Nelson who placed the belts on the timekeeper's table.

Miller called both men to the middle of the ring. The men stared each other down as Marty Miller laid down the ground rules of the match and then patted each man down.

Announcers explained that the reason the main event was being put on at this point of the show was because, since the match had no time-limit, they don't know how long the match could last.

Match To Determine The Undisputed AWA World Champion

Jerry Lawler (AWA World Champion) vs. Sgt. Slaughter (AWA World Champion)

Lawler looked at Sarge for a moment, smirked and started to walk back to his corner.

Sarge turned and started to walk back to his corner and Lawler hooked a u-turn and jumped Sarge from behind.

Ref called for the bell.

Marshall: Strap yourself in, Lord James! The hour of decision is here!

Lawler continued to pound away on Sarge and then slammed Sarge's head into the top buckle. Sarge spun around and Lawler nailed Sarge with a series of his famous punches. Lawler whipped Sarge into the opposite buckles and Lawler moved in and Sarge found the strength to charge out of the corner and drop Lawler with a running clothesline. Crowd popped. Sarge quickly covered Lawler. 1...2... Lawler kicked out. Sarge and Lawler to their feet and Sarge moved in and fired away on Lawler with a series of punches. Sarge whipped Lawler into the ropes and caught Lawler coming off with a high backdrop. Lawler crashed to the mat and quickly rolled out of the ring and dropped to the floor. Lawler walking around regaining his bearings on the floor. Ref ordered Sarge back and Sarge obliged and the ref started the 10-count. As the count grew, Lawler climbed up on the apron. Lawler started to cautiously make his way back into the ring when Sarge moved in to grab Lawler and Lawler bailed back to the safety of the floor as the fans booed.

Marshall: I think the spirit of Larry Zbyszko has entered Lawler with all the stalling he's doing right now.

Ref again ordered Sarge back and the ref started the 10-count. Lawler still walking aorund the floor.

Sarge grew tired of waiting and bolted the ring. Sarge came up behind Lawler, who was arguing with ringside hecklers, spun Lawler around and caught Lawler with a big right hand. Lawler stunned. Sarge then slammed Lawler's head into the ring apron three times. Lawler down on a knee by the ring apron. Sarge climbed back into the ring to break the count. Lawler had gotten up and wandered away from the apron. Sarge climbed out on the apron and came off with a double axe handle to the head attempt but Lawler instead caught Sarge with a gut shot. Lawler then threw Sarge into the ringside barricade and Sarge went down on the floor. 10-count growing. Lawler snapped Sarge up and slammed Sarge's head into the announcer's table. Sarge back down. Lawler quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. Announcers pointed out that there must be a winner in this match and the ref was being a little more lax with things like the 10-count. Sarge started getting up when Lawler moved in with more of his famous punches. Sarge stunned. Lawler then rammed Sarge's head into the post. Sarge crumpled to the floor. Lawler looked out at the fans, pointed at himself and said: You're lookin' at the real AWA World Champion! 10-count growing. An unsteady Sarge made it to his feet and was now bleeding. Sarge leaned on the ring apron. Lawler moved in and stunned Sarge with a kick to the side of the ribs and then threw Sarge into the ring steps. Sarge back down on the floor. Lawler climbed back into the ring and briefly played to the crowd in heel fashion and most in the crowd booed.

Marshall: Lawler better watch it with the cockiness.

Sarge up on the floor and looking the worse for wear. Lawler left the ring and went to punch Sarge and Sarge blocked the punch try and belted Lawler. The punch spun Lawler around facing away from Sarge and Sarge atomic dropped Lawler on the floor. Lawler down on his knees. Sarge quickly regained his bearings and grabbed Lawler and threw Lawler back into the ring. Sarge followed Lawler in. Lawler up and Sarge caught Lawler with another punch and then caught Lawler in a side headlock and did the atomic noogie on Lawler. Sarge released the hold. Now, both of Lawler's heads hurt. Sarge up behind Lawler and Sarge smashed Lawler in the back with a forearm. Lawler spun around and Sarge peppered Lawler with more punches and then spun his right arm around and blasted Lawler with a right hook to the jaw. lawler crashed to the mat. Sarge for the cover. 1...2... Lawler kicked out. Sarge grabbed Lawler and whipped Lawler into the corner. Sarge charged in and looked to pulverize Lawler with a running clothesline but Lawler fell out of the way and Sarge crashed front-first into the turnbuckles. The impact sent Sarge crashing to the mat. Both men down. Ref began the 10-count. As the count grew, both men stirred. Both men up at the count of 9-1/2. Lawler jumped Sarge. Lawler poiuded on Sarge but Sarge fought back and the two struggled for supremacy. In the melee', Lawler caught Sarge with an eye poke that the ref didn't catch. The poke stunned Sarge. Lawler whipped Sarge into the ropes and dropped Sarge coming off with a dropkick. Sarge crashed to the mat. Sarge got to his hands and knees and Lawler booted Sarge in the head and then snapped Sarge up and nailed Sarge with a suplex followed by a fist drop to the head. Lawler for the cover. 1...2... Sarge kicked out. Sarge down and grabbing his head. Ref checked on Sarge. While that was going on, Lawler went to the corner facing the crowd, reached into his tights and brandished his small chain. Sarge got to his feet and Lawler moved in and hit Sarge with a chain-laden right hand out of the view of the ref. Lawler repeated the chain shot and Sarge went back down to the mat. Ref checked on Sarge as Lawler turned away and dropped the chain back into his tights. Sarge getting up. Lawler caught Sarge with a gut kick and then attempted to hoist Sarge up for the piledriver but Sarge twice blocked the move and backdropped Lawler to the mat. Crowd cheered. Sarge dropped to a knee. Both men slow to get to their feet. Both men up and Lawler went to punch Sarge but Sarge blocked the punch try and blasted Lawler with shots of his own. Lawler staggered.

Sarge snapped up Lawler and nailed Lawler with a backbreaker. Lawler down. Sarge went over and mounted middle buckle as Lawler got to his feet. Lawler up and Sarge came off the buckle and nailed Lawler with the...

Marshall: SLAUGHTER CANNON!

Crowd popped and rose to its feet.

Sarge for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr.. Lawler got a shoulder up. Most of the crowd groaned. Sarge frustrated. Sarge snapped up Lawler and went for a bodylsam, but Lawler caught Sarge in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Sarge reversed the small package and was now pinning Lawler. 1...2...thr... Lawler kicked out. Most of the crowd groaned. Sarge up and Lawler by the ropes. Sarge went to move on Lawler but Lawler rolled out on the apron and the ref ordered Sarge to stand back. Ref started the 10-count. Sarge went to get at Lawler but the ref intercepted him and and ordered him back. As the ref and Sarge had words, behind their backs Lawler got to his feet on the apron facing the crowd. Lawler once again reached into his tights and brandished the small chain. Lawler wrapped it around his fist. Lawler was still facing the crowd when Sarge ignored the ref and came over and grabbed Lawler and went to belly-to-back suplex Lawler back into the ring. As Sarge hoisted Lawler up for the move, Lawler popped Sarge in the face with the chain. Sarge crashed to the mat with Lawler on top of him. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out. Crowd popped. Lawler up. Sarge rolled over on his front side. Ref checked on Sarge. Lawler quickly turned facing the crowd and dropped the chain back in his tights. Crowd screaming for the ref to check Lawler to no avail. Lawler went over, grabbed the top rope and stomped on Sarge a few times. Ref started the 5-count but Lawler let go of the tope rope at the count of 4. Lawler snatched up Sarge and bodyslammed him. Lawler went out on the apron, mounted the top rope and came off with a leg drop that connected.

Marshall: Surely this is it, Lord James.

Blears: You gotta think so, Lee.

Lawler covered Sarge and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out again. Crowd roared.

Marshall: How much punishment can Sarge take before he finally can't continue?!

Blears: What we're witnessing is amazing, Lee, that's all there is to it.

Lawler in disbelief. Lawler snapped up Sarge, whipped Sarge into the ropes and looked to catch Sarge coming off with a clothesline but instead the two men clotheslined one another to the mat. Both men laid out. Announcers again pointed out there must be a winner in this match. Ref started the 10-count. Both men extremely slow to get up. Ref stretching the count. Both men slowly to their feet. The two locked eyes. The competition had been fierce. Both men moved to center ring. Lawler put his fists up and Sarge did the same. Lawler struck Sarge first. Sarge fired back. Lawler delivered another deliberate punch to the jaw. Sarge returned the favor. The punch exchange then sped up and Sarge gained the upper hand. Lawler staggered back. Sarge charged in and caught Lawler with a neckbreaker lariat (takedown). Crowd popped. Lawler down and Sarge on his knees. Sarge up and snapped up Lawler and Lawler was able to drive Sarge hard back-first into the buckles. Lawler then found the strength to batter Sarge with his famous punch barrage. Lawler backed up and Sarge staggered out of the corner and went down to a knee and then his face. Lawler moved in for the kill. Lawler grabbed Sarge, held him for a moment, hoisted Sarge up and blasted Sarge with his piledriver finisher. Lawler was slow in covering Sarge. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out again.

Marshall: That's it! Lawler just hit Sgt. Slaughter with his finisher.

Lawler was slow in covering Sarge. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out again. Crowd roared. Lawler in disbelief. Lawler picked up Sarge and bodyslammed him. Lawler again went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle. Lawler came off with another leg drop but this time Sarge rolled out of the way and Lawler crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref once again started the 10-count. Both men stirred as the count grew and once again made it to their feet just before the 10-count. Sarge stumbled off and crashed to a knee in another part of the ring. Lawler methodically moved in on Sarge. Lawler leaned down to grab Sarge and Sarge stunned Lawler with a huge upper cut. Lawler went limp at the waist but was still on his feet. Sarge up, crowd into it. Sarge grabbed Lawler, hoisted Lawler up and blasted Lawler with Lawler's own finisher...the piledriver. Most in the crowd ate it up. Sarge covered Lawler and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Most fans nearly blew the roof off the building as the ref called for the bell.

Sarge laid across Lawer's chest for a few seconds after the match and then rolled off of Lawler. Both men down on the mat, Sarge laying on his side. The match had taken its toll. Larry Nelson climbed into the ring with the belts and mic in hand and the ref went over and had words with him off mic. The two talked longer than you would normally expect in this situation. Sarge slowly made it to his feet and was shaking out the effects of the match. Lawler was up to a knee holding the back of his neck.

Nelson: Wrestling fans! In a time of 20 minutes, 14 seconds your winner...and UNDISPUTED AWA World Heavyweight Champion...Sgt. Slaughter!

Ref waited for Sarge to recover a little more before handing him the titles.

Ref then started to walk over to Sarge with the belts when Lawler suddenly got to his feet and grabbed the belts from the ref. Lawler gestured and told the ref to go stand in the corner.

Marshall: What is this about?!

Blears: Wondering if Lawler is in a state of denial that he lost the match?

Sarge looked at Lawler. Larry Nelson moved in as Lawler walked up to Sarge. Larry stuck the mic in between the two as the men looked at each other for several tense seconds.

Lawler (wincing in pain from the piledriver): Sgt. Slaughter.

Pause.

Lawler: You are indeed the deserving and undisputed AWA World Champion.

Lawler presented the belts to Sarge and Sarge took them.

The two looked at each other a little more and then Lawler extended his hand.

Marshall: Sgt. Slaughter better be careful here.

Blears: Indeed, Lawler can be a snake in the grass at times.

After a few more seconds, Sarge extended his hand and the two men...shook hands. Crowd cheering the gesture.

Marshall: Lawler really showed class at the end there, Lord James.

Blears: He did, Lee. Think what you will of Lawler.

Lawler then left the ring to let Sarge have his moment in the sun. Ref came over and raised Sarge's hand in victory. Sarge then held up both belts, one in each hand, to more crowd cheering.

The ref then took one of the AWA belts and strapped it around Sarge's waist.

Sarge then left the ring, the other belt slung over his left shoulder, walking slowly and still feeling the effects of the great battle he'd just been through.

While walking back up the face aisle, Sarge stopped and locked eyes with a fan in a cowboy hat. The two looked at each other for two or three seconds before Sarge continued his journey back up the aisle.

Marshall: Who was that that caught the eye of Sgt. Slaughter?

Blears: We'll have to look at the tape.

WINNER: Sarge - Pinfall - 20:14

Announcers talked about the great match they'd just witnessed and how Sarge can finally put the doubters behind him because he just solidified his position as AWA World Champion.

Blears: Sarge has now cemented his position as the undisputed AWA Champion.

Marshall: The last few months have been filled with chaos and confusion on the World CHampionship front here in the AWA and, thank god, it's finally over! The smoke has cleared and Sgt. Slaughter is...well...king of the AWA!

Announcers hyped coming up next:

A surprise for the fans!

PLUS! Musical performance by the Fabulous Thunderbirds!

Commercials

Back from commercial...

Announcers said that during the break they saw the video of the man who Sarge stopped and looked at when heading back up the aisle. The man was confirmed to be Stan Hansen.

Said that Hansen immediately disappeared after the staredown.

Marshall: What could Stan Hansen be doing here?

Blears: Might be he's gunning to be a 2-time AWA World Champion and has already zeroed in on Sgt. Slaughter.

Announcers then sent it to the ring...

Nelson: Would you please welcome my guest at this time!

He is the Wrestler Who Made MIlwaukee famous...The Crusher!

Nice pop from the crowd.

Polka music filled the arena as The Crusher came down the face entrance aisle in street clothes and had an unlit cigar hanging out of his mouth.

Crusher climbed into the ring and briefly played to the crowd.

Crusher walked up to Larry Nelson.

Crusher pointed at Nelson.

Crusher: Should I bolo punch him?!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: No, don't do that! Please!

Crusher started winding up his right arm like he was gonna bolo punch Nelson and Nelson flinched. Crusher and the fans laughed.

Crusher: I gotta toughen you up, Larry! We need to start trainin' together! Da Crusher's very own beer and brats diet!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Sounds good to me. When do we start?

Crusher: Right after da show! We'll hit da nearest watering hole and start you on da path to tough guy-ness!

Nelson: I can't wait!

What has The Crusher been up to lately?

Crusher: Been takin' it easy. But I still like to work out.

Nelson: What do you lift now?

Crusher: Cases of MIller! Haha!

Miller...da beverage of champions!

Big pop from the crowd.

Crusher: I just wanted to come out here and say hello to dees great fans in Milwaukee!

Dis is home for me! Milwaukee is da best city in da world!

Another strong pop.

Nelson: Well, Crusher, it has been great to see you.

Hope life continues to smile upon you.

Crusher: Tanks, Larry!

Life always smiles upon me when it's beer-tirty!

Nelson laughed.

Nelson: The Crusher, everybody!

Another huge pop as The Crusher briefly played to the fans before leaving the ring and heading back up the face aisle.

Announcers Marshall and Blears talked about the surprise appearance of The Crusher.

Marshall: Crusher still looks like he could go, Lord James.

Blears: Sure does, Lee. And as someone who's felt that bolo punch let me tell you it is not pleasant.

Marshall: I bet it wasn't.

Let's send it back to Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Ladies and gentlemen...The Fabulous Thunderbirds!

The stage was set up behind a shortened section of ringside seats.

Lead singer Kim Wilson kicked off the set.

Kim: Milkwaukee!

Crowd cheered.

Kim: Let's hear it for Sgt. Slaughter!

Crowd cheered some more.

Kim: What a match!

Alright! We're gonna kick things off with a song from our Tuff Enuff album! This is called Wrap It Up!

Some crowd cheers.

Wrap It Up:

Cheers after the song...not sure if the fans liked it or were just happy the song ended.

Kim: Thank you!

Our next song, if you saw the movie Cocktail you heard it in there...this is Powerful Stuff!

Fair amount of cheering.

Powerful Stuff:

Some more cheers (not on The Crusher level).

Kim: We're gonna wrap this set up with our biggest song of all-time!

If you've seen the movie Gung Ho or Tough Guys. you've heard this song in those films!

Also got a lot of play on the radio and made it into the Top 10 on the Billboard charts!

This is...Tuff Enuff!

Good crowd pop for the song.

Tuff Enuff:

More cheers.

Kim: Thank you, MIlwaukee! Thank you, America! Good night!

More cheers (possibly because the set was over).

Announcers discussed the T-Birds set and how they enjoyed it.

Blears: We should have brought our dancin' shoes, Lee.

Marshall: We should have, Lord. Because Hush Puppies just don't cut it on the dance floor.

Blears: Haha!

Marshall said Sam Houston's undefeated streak was on the line next!

Commercials

Back from commercial...

Announcers said that Tom Zenk had been taken to the hospital to see if he had suffered a serious injury after Col. DeBeers rubbed a mysterious blue substance in Zenk's eye.

Announcers said it was time to see if Sam Houston could remain undefeated in the AWA against a tough foe in Manny Fernandez.

PERFECT RECORD ON THE LINE

Sam Houston (Undefeated in the AWA) vs. Manny Fernandez

Sam Houston was announed first and came to the ring, slapping hands with fans on the way down the face entrance aisle to the ring. Houston climbed in the ring and briefly played to the crowd. Decent ovation for Sam.

Larry Nelson met Sam at center ring.

Nelson: Sam, you said you were gonna reveal him tonight. Is it gonna happen?

Houston: Yes, Larry. It is.

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Who is it?

Houston: I'd now like to introduce you all to my coach. He is the man who has made me a better wrestler and helped guide me to the great success I'm having in the AWA.

He is...Dick Murdoch!

Mixed crowd reaction as Murdoch came down the face aisle in street clothes and made his way into the ring.

Murdoch shook hands with Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Dick Murdoch, welcome to the AWA!

Murdoch: Thank you, Larry. It's great to be here in the major league of professional wrestling.

I know Sam has a match right now so we can talk more in-depth at a later date.

But I will say that Sam has been willing to listen and learn. The great talent was there all along. It just needed to be drawn out of Sam and you see the results since his arrival in the AWA.

Nelson: He certainly has...

Most in the Crowd started booing as Manny Fernandez, who did have a small segment of fans, made his way down the heel aisle and climbed into the ring.

Manny walked up to Nelson, Murdoch and Houston.

Manny: You gringos booing me need to shut up!

Boos got louder.

Manny: So, Dick Murdoch's your coach, eh?!

Houston: Yep.

Manny: Well, let me tell you this, Houston! I am glad Murdoch's here tonight!

And the reason I'm glad is because I can't wait to see the look on his face when I hand you your first loss in the AWA!

More boos.

Houston: Let's get it on.

Manny: Can somebody get coach Murdoch a chair so he can have a ringside seat for Sam's demise?!

Murdoch had final words for Sam and left the ring.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corner and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Manny gained the upper hand and locked Sam up in a side headlock. Manny cinched up on the headlock as Sam tried to free himself. Sam was able to finally shoved Manny off and into the ropes and Manny came off and nailed Sam with a shoulder tackle. Sam crashed to the mat. Manny stood over Sam and yelled: VIVA LA RAZA! Most of the crowd booed. Sam up and the two men circled one another and Manny went to kick Sam but Sam caught Manny's foot. Manny tried to beg off. Sam reared back and popped Manny with a head shot. Sam did it again while holding Manny's foot, spun Manny around and caught Manny with a belly-to-back suplex. Sam for the quick cover. 1... Manny kicked out. Both men to their feet and Sam grabbed Manny and whipped Manny into the corner. Houston moved in and caught Manny with a series of kicks to the gut and then grabbed Manny in a side headlock went to hit Manny with his bulldog finisher but Manny shoved Sam off and Sam crashed to the mat.

Murdoch picked up on a mic.

Murdoch: It was too early for the bulldog, Sam! Too early!

Sam and Manny down briefly but then both men made it to their feet and Sam walked right into a backfist from Manny. Sam stunned. Manny picked up Sam and bodyslammed him and Manny mounted the middle buckle in the corner and came off with a fist drop to the the head. Manny covered Sam. 1...2... Sam kicked out. Murdoch yelling support for Sam at ringside. Manny snapped Sam up and nailed Sam with a suplex. Manny held onto Sam and snapped Sam up and repeated the move. Manny up, wiped some sweat off his brow and flicked it in Murdoch's direction. Murdoch and Manny glared at each other. Manny stomped on Sam, snapped Sam up and whipped Sam into the ropes and looked to catch Sam coming off with a backdrop but Sam instead dropped to a knee in front of Manny and blasted Manny with a right uppercut. The move sent Manny shooting upright and stumbling back. Houston to his feet and plowed into Manny with more uppercuts. Sam whipped Manny into the ropes and caught Manny coming off with a dropkick. Manny crashed to the mat. Sam for the cover. 1...2... Manny kicked out.

Murdoch slapped the mat in frustration and was picked up on a mic.

Murdoch: Hook the leg! Hook the leg, dammit!

Sam snapped up Manny and whipped Manny into the corner. Sam charged in with another dropkick try but Manny moved and Sam crashed hard to the mat. Manny quickly regained his bearings.

Manny picked up on a mic.

Manny: Hey, Murdoch! Looks like you trained this gringo really well! Haha!

Sam started to get up and Manny moved in and booted Sam in the side of the head. Sam toppled through the top and middle rope down to the floor. Murdoch came over to check on his man as Manny looked to go out after Sam but the ref intercepted Manny and ordered him to stand back. As Sam got to his feet on the floor, Murdoch had some words for Sam before walking away. Sam made his way up on the ring apron and started to step in and Manny went over and started pounding on Sam as he was stepping through the ropes. Manny continued hammering on Sam, whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with a jumping back elbow to the chest. Sam crashed to the mat. Sam made his way up and Manny moved in caught the dazed Sam with an earclap. Sam crashed to the mat. Manny for the cover. 1... Manny put his foot on the middle rope for leverage. ...2...

Murdoch: Foots on the rope, ref!

Ref looked over and saw Manny removing his foot. Ref ordered a break. Manny, ever the humanitarian, grabbed Sam by the hair and raked Sam's face across his boot laces. Sam down holding his face.

Manny: Murdoch! Prepare for loss numero uno!

Manny snapped Sam up and went to whip Sam into the ropes but Sam reversed and caught Manny coming off with a high backdrop. Manny crashed to the mat. Fans cheered. Manny up as Sam regained his bearings. Manny walked right into a hiptoss from Houston. Manny up and Sam blasted Manny with a dropkick that sent Manny crashing into the buckles. Sam moved in and blistered Manny with a quick series of uppercuts, grabbed Manny in a side headlock, charged out of the corner and nailed Manny with his bulldog finisher. Sam covered Manny and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd popped. Sam up and the ref raised his hand in victory as Dick Murdoch climbed into the ring to congratulate his protege'.

WINNER: Houston - Pinfall - 7:41

Announcers discussed Houston remaining undefeated and Houston revealing Dick Murdoch as his coach/mentor.

Blears: Let me tell you...Sam Houston made a great decision in taking on Dick Murdoch as his coach. Murdoch really knows how to wrestle against any style since he's wrestled all over the world. He's picked things up from working with different wrestling styles. Young Sam will become a really well-rounded wrestler under the tutelage of Dick Murdoch.

Marshall: But can Sam trust Murdoch with Murdoch's, shall we say, colorful, unpredictable history in this sport?

Murdoch: Dick knows the ins and outs of the sport. Sam must trust him or he would not be Sam's trainer.

Marshall: Guess we'll just have to wait and see if Dick can remain on the straight and narrow this time around.

Blears: Agreed, Lee.

Announcers said Greg Valentine's AWA debut match was next.

Commercials

Back from commercials...

Announcers said it was time for Greg Valentine's debut match

Marshall: Lord James, Valentine has sounded real confident heading into this match. Do you think he's being over-confident here against the Baron?

Blears: Great question, Lee. Greg Valentine is a man of great confidence and he should be confident in his abilities to beat the Baron.

But, if he comes in here thinking this is gonna be the equivalent of Alabama playing Akron in college football, and Greg's Alabama, he could be in for quite a surprise.

The Baron is still a fighter; a grizzled veteran, as they say. He can definitely win this match. Especially if Greg lets his ego get in the way.

DEBUT MATCH

Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

Baron Von Raschke came to the ring to a solid ovation from the crowd. Baron climbed into the ring and walked to a neutral corner.

Greg Valentine came down the aisle to pretty strong boos but also had his fans. Valentine climbed in the ring and went to a neutral corner.

Nelson intro'd the Baron. Nice response from the crowd as Baron did the goose-step (try doing that as a face today) and did the claw gesture with his right hand.

Nelson then intro'd Valentine to mainly boos. Valentine stepped out of he corner and did the Ric Flair spread the arms out wide and spin around in his robe.

Valentine and Von Raschke removed their robes and Von Raschke pulled on the top rope to stretch a little as the ref called for the bell.

Crowd buzzing as the two men came out and circled one another. Greg took a swipe at Baron but the Baron evaded it.

The two continued to circle one another and then engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. Greg gained the advanatage and drove Baron against the ropes. Ref ordered a break. Clean break. The two circled each other once again and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Greg was able to catch Baron in a hammerlock. Greg tightened up on the hold but Baron refused to submit. Baron was then able to maneuver around and reverse the hold and lock Greg in the hammerlock. Baron took Greg down in the hold. Baron cranked away on Greg's left arm and Greg was squirming. Ref asked if Greg gave up and Greg said no. Baron, still holding Greg in the hammerlock, proceeded to drive a series of swinging knees into Greg's back. Baron released the hold. Greg made it to his feet and was shaking out his left arm from the effects of the hammerlock. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg quickly leaned out between the top and middle rope. Ref ordered Baron back. Greg still shaking out his left arm. Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron started to move on Greg and Greg again leaned out through the top and middle rope and the ref ordered Baron back once more. Greg yelled at the ref to: Keep that Kraut away from me! Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron again moved on Greg and Greg feigned he was going to stick his upper body out through the ropes again and Baron hesitated and Greg stunned Baron with a kick to the gut. Baron doubled over holding his gut. Greg moved in and hit Baron with a series of elbows to the back of the neck, the last one dropping Baron to a knee. Baron holding the back of his neck. Greg snapped Baron up and nailed Baron with a suplex. Greg up and nailed Baron with an elbow smash across the chest. Greg up, pointed at the ropes, ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. Greg for the cover. 1...2... Baron kicked out. Greg snapped up Baron and slammed Baron's head into the top buckle. Baron turned around and Greg blasted Baron with a chop. Baron eye's suddenly widened and his body seemed to stiffen. Crowd buzzing like a driver coming home from a bar on Friday night. Valentine hit Baron with another chest chop and again the Baron stiffened. Greg then reared back for a third chop and the Baron again no-sold it. Baron goose-stepped out of the corner to the delight of the crowd. Greg then grabbed Baron and went to whip Baron into the opposite buckles but Baron reversed and sent Greg crashing into them. Baron moved in and hit Greg with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Baron then went to lock Greg in the Iron Claw but Greg got his arms up and crossed in an 'X' formation to block the move. Greg went down to his ass in the corner and quickly rolled under the bottom rope and dropped to the floor.

Crowd into the match. Greg walking around on the floor as the Baron gestured for him to get back in the ring. Ref started the 10-count. Count grew and Greg climbed up on the apron and quickly got into the ring and tackled baron to the mat and the two rolled around engaging in a wild punch exchange. Ref trying to get them separated. The two finally separated and both men got to their feet and briefly shook out the effects of the match. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg stunned Baron with another chest chop. This time, Baron felt it. Greg then fired away with a series of chest chops on the Baron, the last one knocking Baron to the mat. Greg quickly moved in and grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then went to lock Baron in the figure 4 but Baron reached up and caught Greg in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Greg kicked out. Fans groaned. Both men up and and Greg caught Baron with a shot to the gut. Greg went to whip Baron into the ropes but Baron reversed and caught Greg coming off with a high backdrop. Greg crashed to the mat. Greg up and Baron caught Greg with a couple of head shots that drove Greg next to the ropes. Baron leaned Greg back across the top rope and blasted Greg with a series of forearm smashes to the chest. Greg staggered off holding his chest. Baron grabbed Greg and went to whip Greg into the ropes but Greg reversed and looked to catch the Baron coming off with a high backdrop but the Baron leapfrogged Greg. Greg up and turned and the Baron stunned Greg by catching Greg in the Iron Claw. Crowd popped big-time for the old German. Greg struggling to free himself from the hold. Greg maeuvered close enough to get his hand on the top rope to try and force a break but Baron yanked Greg away from the ropes still locked in the hold. Crowd cheering even louder.

Greg started to weaken in the hold and was getting desperate.

Marshall: The Baron might just pull this off!

Greg went down to a knee and then fell back while still locked in the hold. Greg was able to reached over and grab the middle rope and force a break. Crowd groaned. Ref ordered the Baron back as Greg was still leaned against the ropes shaking out the effects of the Iron Claw. Greg slowly to his feet. Ref aksed Greg if he could continue and Greg nodded and said 'yes'. Greg and Baron circled one another and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up and Baron quickly gained the advantage and caught Greg in a side headlock but Greg countered with a belly-to-back suplex. Baron up facing away from Greg and Greg moved in behind Baron and nailed Baron with a chop block to the back of the knee area. Baron crumpled to the mat. Greg went over and stomped on Baron's right knee, grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then locked Baron in the figure 4. Most of the crowd roaring for Baron to not submit. Baron fighting hard through the pain. Baron not giving up. Baron then started to reverse the hold. Crowd cheering Baron on. Greg fought against the hold being reversed. A struggle ensued. Just as it appeared that Baron would complete the reversal, Greg was able to shift his weight and regain control of the hold. Crowd groaned.

A few seconds later...

it was all over as Baron could no longer stand the pain and shook his head 'yes' and cried out 'yes' to the ref. Ref called for the bell.

Valentine released the hold and got to his feet. Ref raised Valentine's hand in victory. Baron still down. Valentine left the ring, Stood on the apron and raised his arms victoriously in the air to mainly boos. Valentine then left the scene and disappeared to the back.

WINNER: Valentine - Submission - 11:02

POST-MATCH:

Baron had started to recover and got to his hands and knees. Ref went to help Baron up but Baron waved off the ref. Baron, on shaky legs, made it to his feet as the crowd looked on. Ref said something to Baron and Baron said something in return and the ref left the ring. Baron was limping. Baron stood center ring and looked out at the crowd.

Marshall: Baron sure is staying in that ring a long time. Wait a minute...

Crowd cheered Baron. Baron then walked/limped over to a corner and sat down. He briefly bowed his head and then looked up. His eyes were glistening. Baron then started to untie his boot laces. The announcers remained silent. Baron took off his boots and, with the aid of the ropes, made it to his feet. Baron hobbled out to mid-ring and placed his boots there. Baron looked out at the crowd once more. Shot of some fans crying at the moment. Baron then made the Iron Claw gesture one more time as the fans popped and chanted: Baron! Baron! Baron!

Baron then left the ring and dropped to the floor. He was still limping from the effects of the figure 4. Shot of the Baron from behind as he made his way back up the face aisle.

Shot of Baron's ring boots left in the middle of the ring as the fans continued to chant his name as the program faded to black.

END PROGRAM

ATTENDANCE:

BLOOD WATCH: Zbyszko, Greg Gagne, DeBeers, Sarge

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
OCTOBER 19, 1989

THE DAY AFTER SUPER CLASH 4

Verne Gagne was packed and minutes away from checking out of his Milwaukee hotel room and heading to the airport to catch his flight back to Minneapolis when his room phone rang.

Verne picked up after the second ring.

Verne: Hello.

Voice: Verne?

Verne: Yes. Oh! Is this John Waters?

John: It is.

Verne: Sorry we didn't get to talk much during the show.

John: That's OK. Deborah and I both thought it was a great night of wrestling.

Verne: Glad to hear it. We had over 6,000 paid in the house.

John: That sounds like music to my ears. The crowd was hot to say the least.

And the way Baron Von Raschke ended his career, well, have to admit I had some tears in my eyes.

Verne: Crowd was hot. I'm confident that the AWA is on the rebound.

You weren't the only one who got misty eyed when Baron left his boots in the ring.

Did you need to talk to me about something, John?

John: Yes, Verne. I'll be quick. Can you give me Jim Crockett's phone number?

Verne: Can I ask why?

John: Well, it's because of something you said to us at breakfast yesterday.

Verne: What was that?

John: You said Crockett was looking for another investor to help him purchase the AWA.

Verne: Yes.

John: Well as you know...

Verne: I see. You want to talk to Crockett about going in with you guys on a possible AWA purchase.

John: That's right. We'd like to talk with him. This may be the answer to our prayers.

Verne: I don't think he'll mind you calling. Let me get his number here.

Verne thumbed through his address book.

Verne: Ah! Here it is.

John: I've got pen and paper ready.

Verne: It's 704-555-1976.

John: Got it.

Verne: I do need to remind you that I have to call Vince McMahon today about possibly selling the promotion to him.

John: Have you already made a decision?

Verne: No. You guys are still very much in the picture right now.

John: No matter your decision, would you please call me when I arrive back in Baltimore just so Deb and I are not left twisting in the wind?

Verne: I'll call you tomorrow, John.

John: Thanks, Verne.

Verne: That's quite alright.

John: Talk with you tomorrow.

Verne: OK. Bye, John.

John: Bye, Verne.

Verne hung up the phone.

He now had a possible new team of bidders to deal with.

But he had to call Vince first when he arrived home in Minneapolis.

Would it be the last call he'd need to make about selling the AWA???

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
THE CALL

OCTOBER 19, 1989

Verne Gagne had arrived home from Milwaukee in the early afternoon after the most successful AWA show since WrestleRock '86 at the HHH Metrodome in Minneapolis.

He unpacked his suitcase, grabbed a beverage and sat down in his recliner in the den. After a bit of unwinding from the stress of the last few days, Verne picked up the phone and dialed.

After two rings...

Secretary: Titan Sports. How may I direct your call?

Verne: This is Verne Gagne calling for Vince McMahon.

Secretary: You're call is listed as high priority, Mr. Gagne. Let me put you through.

Verne: Thank you.

Verne waited and listened to muzak for what seemed like an eternity until Vince finally picked up.

Vince: Verne! How are you?

Verne: I'm fine. How about yourself?

Vince: Doing good. Hopefully even better after this call. Haha.

Verne: Well, I must...

Vince: By the way, I saw some of the show last night. Sarge and Lawler told a great story. And the retirement of the Baron, leaving his boots in the middle of the ring and simply walking away...well, that's as real as it gets in this business.

Verne: It was our most successful show in a while.

Now, let's talk some business.

Vince: The offer of $3.5 million still stands, Verne. We can have a deal done by the end of this phone call. The ball is in your court.

Verne: Well, there's still another party interested in possibly buying the AWA.

Vince: Is it Deborah Harry and John Waters?

Verne: Yes. They may have found the third investor they're looking for.

Vince suddenly leaned forward in his chair.

Vince: Who is the third investor?

Verne: I'm not at liberty to say.

Vince: Wait a minute? Is it Crockett? Is Crockett the third party?

Silence...

Verne: I can only say they have someone in mind.

Vince: It's Crockett. I just know it is.

Well, Verne, let me tell you something, if they buy the company and put that so-called great wrestling mind in charge of the wrestling side of things it will be a disaster.

In 1985, when I sold my timeslots on TBS to Crockett for a million bucks, I told him that he would 'choke on that million.' What happened 3 and a half years later, Verne?

Verne: He had to sell to Turner because of money issues.

Vince: That's right!

If you sell to buyers and he's on their team it will ruin what it took you 30 years to build!

Crockett buried his nose so far up his wrestlers' asses and let them run the show and look what happened...they slammed right into a f-ucking iceberg!

That's the Jim Crockett business model for you!

Verne: I believe I should listen to what they have to offer before I make a decision.

Vince became conciliatory...

Vince: Will they offer you what I'm offering you?

Verne, think of your family. Think about their future. You are set for life if you do this deal with me. You will not get a better offer than the one I've put before you.

We can make a deal right now and you'll get the biggest payday of your life.

And you know what, Verne, you'd deserve it. You've poured your blood, sweat and tears into this business for over 40 years. It's time to get a major lump sum payment for all your hard work.

Silence...

Vince: Verne? Still there?

Verne: Still here. Just thinking.

Vince: You know the old saying: Penny for your thoughts? Well, in this case, it's $3.5 million for your thoughts.

Verne: It's tempting. Real tempting.

Vince: Let's make a deal, Verne. We can put an end to all this right now.

You know my intentions with the AWA. I will treat the company with the respect it deserves. It will be presented as the traditional wrestling company in an inter-promotional feud with the WWF.

More silence...

Verne: Look, I promised the other party I'd listen to them. I owe them that. Give me just a few more days and we'll have this whole matter resolved.

Vince pissed and had to take a breath to calm down before speaking to Verne.

Vince: Okay. If that's what you want then here's what we'll do. I'll give you until October 31, Halloween, to make a decision. But that is the final drop dead date for me, Verne. After that, I will no longer pursue purchasing the AWA.

Verne: That sounds more than fair, Vince. October 31 it is.

Vince: Give it serious thought, Verne. You've got your family to think about in all this. What will you leave your kids and grandkids?

Verne: I will talk with you in 12 days, then.

Vince: 12 days. And then it's over one way or the other.

Bye, Verne.

Verne: Bye, Vince.

Verne hung up the phone and sat back in his recliner. Vince was probably offering the biggest deal Verne was going to get for the company.

But Verne also didn't trust Vince with the promotion Verne built and ran for 30 years. He knew Vince was more than likely gonna spit on the AWA legacy if he bought the company. He knew Vince could trash the promotion and just pick off the wrestlers he wanted for his WWF roster. Verne had visions dancing in his head of Larry Zbyszko as a Mario Brother and the Destruction Crew as nothing more than a Village People parody in Vince's cartoon/comedy WWF.

That didn't sit well with Verne.

But the more Verne thought about it: what is a legacy?

Verne created the AWA. He turned it into, at one time, the hottest promotion in the North America. It was one of the Big 3 in North American wrestling, along with the NWA (and its affiliate promotions) and WWF. Now, the AWA was a shell if its former self.

Verne had already created his legacy. It was set in stone in the eyes of long-time wrestling fans and the state of Minnesota.

Bottom line: there really was no destroying his legacy no matter what Vince did with the AWA.

And Verne also had one more big thing to consider.

Check that...

Vince McMahon had given Verne $500,000 extra reasons to consider selling to him.

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt

OCTOBER 1989

JIM CROCKETT'S HOME - CHARLOTTE, NC*

The phone rang three times in Jim Crockett's home before Mrs. Crockett finally picked up.

Mrs. Jim: Hello.

Male Voice: Yes. Is Jim Crockett there, please?

Mrs. Jim: May I ask who is calling?

Male Voice: John Waters. I was given his number by Verne Gagne.

Mrs. Jim: Your name sounds familiar.

John: I'm looking to possibly buy the AWA with a partner of mine. I'd like to talk to Jim about considering coming aboard as our third investor.

Mrs. Jim: OK. Let me get Jim for you.

Mrs. Jim turned and said: JIIIIIM!!!

Waters had to jerk the phone away form his ear because she was so loud.

Waters thought to himself: Guess she's a moaner.

Jim picked up the phone in his home office.

Jim: Hello.

Waters: Yes, Mr. Crockett, this is John Waters.

Jim: How are you?

John: You know who I am?

Jim: Yes. You and Deborah Harry are looking to buy the AWA like I am.

Can I ask how you got my number?

John: I got your number from Verne.

Jim: Oh. Well, what can I do for you?

John: Short and to the point: Deborah and I were wondering if you'd like to come on board with us and be the third investor we're looking for?

Verne contacted me and said Vince McMahon has given him until Halloween to decide if wants to sell to the WWF.

Pause...

Jim: Hmmm... Certainly sounds tempting.

That's an 11 day window to try and cut a deal with Verne.

You know about Vince's offer, right?

John: The $3.5 million he's offering?

Jim: That's the one.

John: Deborah and myself were looking at making a flat $3 million dollar offer for the promotion. We've agreed to go no higher than $3.2 million in any negotiations.

Verne told us we're still very much in the running to buy and wants to sell to people who want the AWA to be the true wrestling alternative to the WWF.

You'd be the perfect guy to have on our team because you presented the true alternative when you ran NWA World Championship Wrestling.

Jim: You know, I could get on board with that.

And I can do you one better...

John: How's that?

Jim: I think I can get a fourth party to join in on a possible deal.

If the offer is $3.2 million and we split it evenly four ways, that's $800,000 apiece. We'd each own 25% of the promotion.

John: I like where this discussion is going. I can see the big picture here.

Jim: Let me call this other person and see what I can do.

John: Excellent, Jim. Get back to me as soon as possible on what happens with this other possible investor.

Jim: Will do, John. Nice chatting with you.

John: Nice talking to you, Jim.

Jim: Hopefully, I'll get back to you within 24-48 hours.

John: Looking forward to it.

Jim: Let me get your number.

John: Certainly. It's 410-555-1889.

Jim: Got it. I'm gonna try and call this other person as soon as I'm done talking to you.

John: I don't want to hold you up! Bye, Jim.

Jim: Bye, John.

It looked like a chance to pull together a serious, competitive deal was now taking shape.

Who was the person Jim Crockett was gonna call about coming in on the deal?

Would Harry and Waters accept an equal partnership with Crockett and the possible fourth buyer?

The clock was ticking...

A conclusion about the future of the AWA was now in view.

STAY TUNED...

(* Think Crockett had moved to Dallas by this time, but I just like the thought of him still living in Charlotte.)

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
OCTOBER 1989

Jim Crockett's home in Charlotte, NC

October 21...

After talking the previous day with John Waters about possibly joining Waters and new wave singer Deborah Harry in a partnership to buy the AWA, Jim tried to contact someone he thought would make a good fourth investor in the project.

Jim couldn't get in touch with him.

But on October 21, a beautiful fall day in North Carolina, Crockett tried to contact the man once again.

After two rings...

Man: Hello.

Jim: Bill, this is Jim Crockett.

Bill: Hey, Jim? How are you? Long time since we talked.

Jim: Sure has been. Listen, I'm calling about a business proposition.

Bill: What does it have to do with?

Jim: Buying a wrestling promotion.

Bill: What promotion?

Jim: The AWA.

Bill: I haven't paid attention to the business since I sold to you a couple of years ago. Is the AWA in bad shape?

Jim: They have been. But lately, they've seen somewhat of a rebound in business.

Bill: What was the reason for the upswing?

Jim: A program between Jerry Lawler and Sgt. Slaughter over the AWA World Title.

Bill: And that led to a rise in business, huh?

Jim: It did. They just had Super Clash 4 a couple of days ago and it drew over 6,500 fans. Their house show business also went up considerably during the summer and early fall because of Slaughter-Lawler.

Bill: Let me ask you: do you have a booker in mind if you buy?

Jim: I'm talking to him right now. Look, their are two other investors involved...

Bill: Who?

Jim: Deborah Harry and John Waters.

Bill: Harry sounds familiar. She's a singer, right?

Jim: Yes.Lead singer of the band Blondie.

Bill: And who is this Waters character.

Jim: He's a Hollywood movie director.

Bill: OK. Wait! This Waters guy, I think I've seen him.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he looks like a total f-ag.

Crockett let out a little bit of a laugh.

Jim: He is a gay man.

Nice guy, though.

Bill: Well, we dealt with that queen Barnett* for years. Guess we can deal with this one as well.

Would they be financial backers only? If they're gonna be involved and meddle in the booking process then I want no part of it.

Jim: Their plan right now is to make the AWA the #1 alternative to the WWF. They say they want wrestling people running the wrestling side of things.

Bill: That sounds good if they will stand back, hands off and let wrestling people do their thing.

Jim: They seem on the level.

Bill: How much is Verne looking to sell for?

Jim: $3 million. But Vince McMahon has stepped in and made an offer of $3.5 million to buy the company.

Bill: We can't get into a bidding war with Vince. If we do, we lose.

Jim: A decision will be made by October 31. That's the date McMahon gave Verne for an answer on selling to him. The good news is that Verne is open to listening to an offer from us.

Bill: Are Harry and Waters doing $3.5 as well?

Jim: No. Waters said they would go as high as $3.2 million.

Verne is conflicted over what he wants to do because he's afraid of what McMahon will do with the AWA if he sells to him.

Bill: I don't blame him for his concern. Vince does screw people over...a lot.

Jim: Well, you in?

Bill: Tell you what, give me 24 hours to think about it.

Let me know what kind of partnership they want. Is it 25% apiece? Do they want to own the majority of the company?

Jim: I'll try and contact Waters after this call and see what they're looking at.

Bill: You do that and get back to me. I am interested in investing if it's feasible.

Jim: Will call you tomorrow.

Bill: Talk to you then, Jim.

See about setting up some kind of meeting with Harry and Waters if you can.

Jim: Will do.

Bill: Hey! You know what I'd do if I dropped my wallet in front of John Waters?

Crockett started to laugh.

Jim: What?

Bill: Kick it home!

Crockett let out a hearty laugh and Watts laughed as well.

Jim: Bye, Bill.

Bill: Later.

The wheels in the sky keep on turning. And things were moving closer to a deal one way or the other.

October 31:

A) Verne sells to Vince.

B) Verne sells to Harry and Waters and possibly Crockett and Watts.

C) Verne sells to Crockett and a possible business partner.

D) Verne decides to hang on to the promotion a little longer to see if he can turn it around himself.

E) It's all just a dream like Who Shot J.R. on Dallas and you've wasted over two years of your life reading this.

STAY TUNED...

(* Barnett was a prime mover and shaker in the wrestling business behind the scenes from the '50s through '80s and had an eye for talent. He was openly gay.)

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 1989

(NOTE: Eps. 3 and 4 of this round of tapings, while taped before SC 4, would have aired after Super Clash 4.)

(3rd Taping Re-cap)

In-Ring Interviewer: Larry Nelson

Show Intro:

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

Kokina Maximus wrestles his second match in the AWA. Will it be more carnage like his debut match when he destroyed Reno Riggins?

AWA Women's World Title Match: Wendi Richter (WC) vs. Linda Dallas

Tommy Jammer vs. Akio Sato

Wahoo McDaniel (w/ Don Muraco) vs. Paul Diamond (W/ Dallas Page & Pat Tanaka)

Announcer Lee Marshall has an announcement

And more!

Nelson then sent it to Vegas:

The Top Guns (Ricky Rice & Derrick Dukes) won a squash match over Hans Dunshee & Slade Gorton via pinfall when Dukes pinned Dunshee after a double dropkick

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Larry Nelson:
Ricky Rice and Derrick Dukes, you guys are running like a finely tuned engine.

Rice: Larry, our motors are revved up to the max! We are ready for...Badd Company!

Cheers from the crowd.

Rice: When we lock up, it's not gonna be a wrestling match! Oh no! It's gonna be a brawl!

Nelson: Derrick Dukes. Your thoughts?

Dukes: I agree with my brother from another mother here! You can throw traditionall wrestling right out the window when we clash with Badd Company!

Nelson: Well, it sure is looking a... Wait a minute!

Crowd booed as DDP came down the heel entrance aisle. DDP walked over to Nelson and the Top Guns.

Nelson: Dallas Page! What are you doing out...

DDP abruptly cut off Nelson.

DDP: I'm out here to tell the Top Guns one thing!

Paul Diamond is wrestling in a match later on against Wahoo McDaniel.

You two...

DDP pointed at Rice and Dukes with his cane.

DDP: You two need to keep your distance. You got me, boys? This match doesn't concern you.

Badd Comapny will lay waste to you guys soon enough. Stay out of our way until then.

DDP then walked off.

Nelson: What did you think of that warning from Dallas Page?

Rice: He's clearly made a threat against us, Larry.

I just have one thing to say to Page: you better tread carefully, brother, or you might just step on a land mine!

You got me...boy?!

Fans cheered. Top Guns wlaked off.

Nelson: The Top Guns, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MORE AWA ACTION!!!

Commercials

Tommy Jammer defeated Akio Sato via pinfall with the Jammer Slam (whip opponent into the buckles, opponent bounces out and is caught in a powerslam) TIME: 4:13

Pic aired of Wahoo McDaniel with the caption: NEXT...'THE CHIEF'!

Commercials

IT'S THE AWA ON TOUR! We'll be at the high school/community center/county fair/used car dealership parking lot/church fellowship hall in (insert town here). THE AWA IS THE MAJOR LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!

'Chief' Wahoo McDaniel (w/ Don Muraco) vs. Paul Diamond (w/ Mgr. DDP & Pat Tanaka)

Ref called for the bell and Wahoo and Paul came out of their corners and circled one another. Paul took a swipe at Wahoo but Wahoo dodged it. The two kept circling one another and Paul took another swipe at Wahoo and Wahoo again dodged it. Diamond then caught Wahoo with a chop to the chest and Wahoo returned the favor. Diamond hit Wahoo with another chest chop and Wahoo fired back on Diamond with a chop that stunned Diamond. Wahoo then blistered Diamond with a series of chest chops that drove Diamond into the corner. Wahoo then nailed Diamond with a series of overhead chops that drove Diamond to his arse in the corner. Wahoo snatched the stunned Diamond up and hoisted him up for a suplex as the ref looked on. DDP reached into the ring and pulled Wahoo's leg out from under him. Wahoo crashed to the mat with Diamond on top of him. Diamond for the pin. 1...2... Wahoo kicked out and immediately rolled ouit of the ring and dropped to the floor. Diamond down in the ring still feeling the effects of the chop fest. Wahoo glared and pointed at DDP. DDP started to back up and suddenly pointed his cane in the direction behind Wahoo. Wahoo turned and saw Tanaka sneaking up on him. Tanaka stopped dead in his tracks and started to back up. Don Muraco had made his way over and Tanaka backed right into Muraco. Tanaka jumped, turned around and saw Muraco. Muraco and Tanaka eyeing each other. Wahoo turned back to DDP and didn't notice Diamond had recovered enough to climb out on the apron, jump off and nail Wahoo with a double sledge to the back. Muraco had headed back to his man's corner. Wahoo stumbled forward. DDP cheering his man on as Diamond laid into the stunned Wahoo with some punches and then threw Wahoo back into the ring. Diamond quickly back into the ring and booted Wahoo. Diamond grabbed Wahoo and repeatedly whipped Wahoo into the same corner. Wahoo stumbled out of the corner and went down. Diamond moved in with some more stomps, snapped Wahoo up, whipped Wahoo into the ropes and caught Wahoo coming off with a scoop powerslam. Diamond for the cover. 1...2... Wahoo kicked out. Diamond grabbed Wahoo and went to whip Wahoo into the buckles but Wahoo reversed and sent Diamond crashing into them. Wahoo moved in and blasted Diamond with a deliberate series of open hand chest chops.

Wahoo whipped Diamond into the opposite buckles and followed Diamond in with a running clothesline. Wahoo leaned against Diamond for a few seconds. Wahoo backed up and a shaky Diamond wobbled out of the corner. Wahoo nailed Diamond with a chop to the head. Diamond on stagger street. Wahoo picked Diamond up and bodyslammed Diamond. Wahoo then dropped a big elbow across Diamond's chest and went for the cover. 1...2... Diamond kicked out. As Wahoo reached down to snap Diamond up, Diamond caught Wahoo with a couple of shots to the gut. Diamond to his feet and caught Wahoo with head shots. Diamond then whipped Wahoo into the corner and charged in on Wahoo but Wahoo got his foot up and Diamond slammed face first into it. Diamond staggered and spun around facing away from Wahoo. Wahoo moved out of the corner, came up behind Diamond and caught him in the sleeper. Fans cheered. Tanaka quickly climbed into the ring and went to try and break up the sleeper on Diamond, but Muraco was quick on the draw, hit the ring and tackled Tanaka to the mat as the fans popped. Muraco and Tanaka fighting in the ring and the ref distracted trying to get them out. Wahoo saw what was happening and released Diamond from the sleeper. Diamond on wobbly legs. While Muraco looked over at Muraco-Tanaka, Page handed his cane up to Diamond behind Wahoo's back. Crowd popped as the Top Guns charged down the face aisle to the ring. DDP, showing what a manly man he is, took off like a scared rabbitt with Dukes giving chase. Rice climbed up on the apron just as Diamond raised the cane over his head to strike Wahoo but Rice snatched the cane from Diamond's hands. Diamond looked over at Rice and went to take a swipe at Rice but Rice evaded the swipe and dropped to the floor. Muraco-Tanaka spilled out to the floor. DDP gone. After Diamond yelled something at Rice, he turned around and was geeted by a blistering series of chest chops by Wahoo. Wahoo whipped Diamond into the ropes and caught Diamond coming off with his big chest chop finisher. Wahoo for the cover. 1...2...3! Crowd popped as the ref called for the bell.

Muraco had fought off Tanaka and Muraco climbed back into the ring. Tanaka hurting on the floor. Wahoo up and the ref raised his hand in victory to the delight of the crowd. Rice and Dukes shown standing on the floor making sure there was no further trouble with Badd Company.

WINNER: Wahoo - PInfall - 7:02

In-Studio: Nelson discussed Wahoo's win over Paul Diamond.

Nelson also hyped for next week:

• A look back at Super Clash 4
  • Post-match interviews from some of the SC 4 participants

Pic aired of the AWA Women's World Title with the caption: NEXT... WORLD TITLE MATCH!!!

Commercials

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Wendi Richter (WC) vs. Linda Dallas

Dallas was announhced when coming down the heel aisle to the ring to little reaction (until the fans saw how big her knockers were and then they reacted).

Champ Richter was announced coming down the face aisle to a decent reaction. She had the belt on around her waist.

In the ring, Nelson interviewed Richter before the match.

Nelson: Wendi Richter, you've got Lelani Kai and Magnificent Mimi hot on your tail.

Why sign to defend the belt now against Linda Dallas?

Wendi: Larry, it's like this! I am a fighting champion and I'll take on all worthy challengers! Linda Dallas is a stellar wrestler and worthy of a shot at this belt!

After the usual pre-match ritual, the ref called for the bell.

Dallas charged out of her corner and lunged at Richter but Richter dodged the would-be assault and came back and struck Dallas with forearms to the chest, whipped Dallas into the ropes and caught Dallas coming off with a high backdrop. Dallas crashed to the mat. Wendi snatched Dallas up by the hair and slammed Dallas's head into the top turnbuckle. Wendi caught Dallas with a kick to the gut and pulled Dallas out of the corner and went to suplex Dallas but Dallas twice blocked the move and nailed Wendi with a suplex. Wendi and Dallas up and Dallas caught Wendi with a dropkick. Wendi crashed to the mat. Dallas for the quick cover. 1...2... Wendi kicked out. Wendi sat up and Dallas caught the champ in a rear chinlock. Dallas added to Wendi's misery by driving a trio of intentional knees into Wendi's back. Dallas snapped Wendi up and caught Wendi with a sidebreaker across the knee. Dallas mounted the middle buckle and came off with a diving splash but Wendi rolled out of the way and Dallas crashed to the mat. Both women up and Wendi caught Dallas with more forearm strikes to the chest. Wendi whipped Dallas into the ropes and caught Dallas coming off with an elbow to the chest. Dallas (and those huge breasts of hers) crashed to the mat. Wendi grabbed Dallas' legs and catapaulted Dallas. Dallas crashed face first to the mat in the corner. Dallas slowly getting up. Wendi clubbed Dallas with a forearm smash to the back and then whipped Dallas into the ropes and looked to catch Dallas coming off with a backdrop but Dallas instead stunned Wendi with a kick to the chest. Wendi stumbled back and Dallas clotheslined Wendi to the mat. Dallas for the quick cover. 1... Dallas grabbed a handful of Wendi's tights. ...2...thr... Wendi kicked out. Dallas up and she kicked Wendi as Wendi was getting up. Dallas went to whip Wendi into the ropes but Wendi reversed and caught Dallas coming off in the fireman's carry position. Wendi held Dallas there for a few seconds and then nailed Dallas with a fireman's carry slam. Wendi for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans cheered.

Wendi to her feet. Ref took the belt from Larry Nelson and handed it to Wendi and raised Wendi's hand in victory.

WINNER: Richter - Pinfall - 5:17

Pic aired of Lee Marshall with the caption: NEXT... CALLIN' TOMMY RICH?!

Commercials

Larry Nelson stood center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would please welcome my guest at this time. He is the voice of the AWA...Lee Marshall!

Decent response as Lee removed his headset, got up from the announcers' table and walked over and climbed into the ring and walked up to Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Lee, word is you have a major announcement for us.

Lee: That's right, Larry.

As you know, I've had some serious problems with a loudmouth wrestler named Tommy Rich.

Despite his historic 120-hour run as NWA World Champion back when John Quincy Adams was still president...the man is a disgrace to that title, any title, and a disgrace to this great sport of pro wrestling!

Crowd cheered.

Marshall: As you know, Tommy Rich recently took the opportunity to put me on the shelf for a few weeks when he busted me open by slamming my head into the ring post.

And you know, Larry, one thing you don't do in sports is put your hands on an announcer. We're here to call the action; we're not here to be a part of the action.

Nelson nodded in agreement.

Marshall: I'm still having occasional headaches from my head hitting that unforgiving post.

So, to get to the point. Tommy Rich! I'm callin' you out!

Fans cheered (at least the sober ones did).

Nelson: Can you tell us the reason for doing this?

Marshall: I want him here in this ring, Larry! And I want him here next week! I just have one question to ask Tommy! And you'll all know the question and Rich's answer hoepfully next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling!

Nelson: You heard it fans! Announcer Lee Marshall is calling out Tommy Rich to ask Rich one question! We should find out soon if this will happen!

Lee Marshall, everybody!

Nice pop from the crowd.

PIc aired of Kokina Maximus with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIM EVENT!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Kokina Maximus (w/ Mgr. Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey &The Masked Doctor) vs. Jerry Allen

Allen was already in the ring and announced to little response.

Shot of a stretcher standing by at ringside just in case.

'Godzilla' by Blue Oyster Cult played over the cheap sound system at the Showboat Sports Pavilion. (And it was cheap as Hell!)

Out came Kokina Maximus in his ring gear. Kaissey was in his Arab garb and the Masked Doctor was in a suit and carrying a doctor bag. The trio made their way down the heel aisle.

Crowd booing as big Kokina stepped into the ring with his manager as the doctor stayed out on the apron.

Kaissey talked with his man briefly before leaving the ring for the floor.

Ref called for the bell.

Allen came out of his corner and fired away with head and body punches that had zero effect on Kokina. Kokina responded with a hard slap to Allen's face. Allen on stagger street. Kokina grabbed Allen, whipped Allen into the ropes and caught Allen coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Allen crashed to the mat. Kokina stomped on Allen's head. Kokina pulled Allen up by the hair and popped Allen with a monster headbutt. Allen crashed down to the mat holding his head. Kokina stood over the fallen Allen and looked out at the crowd as the crowd booed the behemoth. Kokina gestured and yelled for Allen to get to his feet. Allen, with the aid of the ropes, got up. Kokina popped him with another deliberate headbutt. Allen started to go down again but Kokina grabbed him and held him up.

Blears: Lee, Kokina loves to torture his opponents.

Marshall: It's positively firghtening what this man is able to do!

Kokina whipped Allen into the ropes and caught Allen coming off with a savate kick. Allen crashed to the mat. Kokina for the cover. 1...2...thr... Kokina pulled Allen up by the hair. Ref reprimanded Kokina. Kokina shot a nasty glare at the ref. Allen all but officially defeated. Kokina let go of Allen's hair and Allen rolled over on his front. Kokina took advantage and stepped on Allen's back. Allen writhing and screaming in pain. Kokina on for three seconds before stepping off. Ref talking to Kokina and threatening the big brute with disqualification if done again. Kokina snapped up Allen, hoisted Allen across his shoulders and blasted Allen with a Samoan drop.

Marshall: A Samoan drop, with all that weight behind it, has to be devastating to the body. It might push the body to the point of breaking.

Kokina up and placed a foot on Allen's chest. Ref counted. 1...2...thr... Kokina took his foot off.

Marshall: This is just unwarranted brutality now.

Blears: Might need to call in the National Guard to put a stop to this.

Ref got up and reprimanded Kokina again and Kokina started to walk menacingly towards the ref. Ref backed up into the corner and clearly nervous. Kokina backed off and turned his attention back to Allen. Allen had unsteadily made it to his feet and Kokina moved in and caught Allen with a throat thrust. Kokina picked up the ragdoll-like Allen and popped him with a side slam. Allen flatlined. Kokina then hit Allen with a leg drop across the chest. Kokina got up and repeated the brutal move. Ref called for the bell.

Nelson jumped up on the ring apron. Ref went over and had a few words with Nelson.

Nelson: The referee has ruled that Jerry Allen cannot continue! Therefore, your winner of the match by stoppage...Kokina Maximus!

Kaissey and the masked doc climbed into the ring. Kokina up and staring down at the man he just destroyed.

Ref went back over to Nelson and said something real quick off-mic.

Nelson: Can we please get some medical...

Masked Doctor went over to Nelson, shook his head 'no', and said something off-mic to Nelson.

Nelson: But...we need...

Masked Doc: I've got this. Everything is under control. I'm a doctor.

Doc went over and told the ref to step back and the ref did so. Masked Doctor knelt down next to Allen and placed his doctor bag on the mat. Doc pulled a pen light out of his jacket pocket and shined it into Allen's eyes. He used his fingers to check for a pulse. The doctor then pulled a stethescope out of his bag and checked Alle's heartbeat. Doctor looked at Kaissey, shook his head 'yes', and said to Kaissey: He'll be okay in a week or two. Doctor then gestured for the stretcher to be wheeled over next to the ring. Two attendants did the honors. Kaissey and the Masked Doctor grabbed Allen and dragged him over by the ropes. Kaissey and the MD then dropped to the floor, pulled Allen out of the ring and placed him on the stretcher. Kokina dropped to the floor and grabbed the stretcher and pushed it back up the heel aisle as Kaissey and the MD followed behind him.

Blears: Lee... I don't really know what to say about what we just witnessed after that match.

Marshall: I think the word you might be looking for, Lord James, is surreal.

WINNER: Kokina - 5:39

CLOSING CREDITS: https://youtu.be/CM9CyKqhciM?t=287

Last edited:

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1664835684394.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - STEVENS POINT, WI - QUANDT FIELDHOUSE - OCTOBER 1989

In-Studio Host: Larry Nelson

(3rd Taping Re-cap)

Show Intro

In-Studio
- Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: $25,000 BATTLE ROYAL

The Guerrero Brothers wrestle

A message from AWA announcer Lee Marshall

An announcement about next week's TV Main Event

Jonnie Stewart wrestles

Manny Fernandez grapples

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the Quandt Fieldhouse in Stevens Point, WI.

Jerry Blackwell won a squash match over Vitamin Flinthart via pinfall with his diving splash finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Larry Nelson:
Jerry Blackwell, an impressive victory over Mr. Flinthart. But we know your sights are set on someone else right now.

Blackwell: That's right, Larry. We all know who it is. It's Kokina Maximus.

Nelson: He looks positively devastating in the ring. A collison would you two would be...well...huge in every way.

Blackwell chuckled.

Blackwell: It certainly would be huge. They may have to re-enforce the ring when we collide. And it's gonna be one hell of a collision.

Nelson: Are you ready to go when the time comes to face Kokina?

Blackwell: I'm more than ready to step in the ring with that one-man wrecking crew.

Kokina! Sheik Adnan! You boys know where to find me! Let's make this happen!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Jerry Blackwell, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson talked about the looming match between Kokina and Blackwell. Said it will be a huge event when it happens.

Pic aired of Manny Fernandez with the caption: NEXT... RAGING BULL!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about what a great event Super Clash 4 was. Said that next week on the program there would be highlights of the historic event plus post-match interviews with some of the participants at SC 4.

Nelson then sent it back to the arena.

Manny Fernandez won a squash match over Monty Hall via pinfall with his Flying Burrito (Double flying forearm smash) finisher

During the match, a newsflash scrolled across the bottom of the screen informing the viewer that the match was taped before SC 4.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Manny Fernandez! You beat Monty Hall like he was a game show host or something. I can...

Manny: Haha! Look at that gringo hobbling back to the dressing room! He's got his hands against his chest like he's clutching his purse or something!

Shot of Hall walking back up the face aisle holding his chest.

Manny (sarcastically): Bye, bye, sweetheart! Keep that purse close to your chest so a Mestizo doesn't steal it! Haha!

Nelson: That comment was uncalled for.

Manny: Nobody cares what you think, gringo Nelson!

Just stand there and hold the mic and let a real man do the talking!

Brief silence...

Manny: What's your next question?

Nelson: I don't have a next question. You told me to just stand here and hold the mic.

Manny: Well, then...VIVA LA RAZA, you gilipollas!

Nelson: What does 'gilipollas' mean?

Manny: It means...um...friend.

Larry Nelson, you're 'gilipollas'.

Larry: I think I'm gonna have to look the word up to get the true meaning.

Manny: What? You don't trust me? Have it your way, cabron.

Larry: Have to look up the word cabron, too.

Manny Fernandez, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MARSHALL!

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd video of Lee Marshall's announcement that took place in Las Vegas.

(From AWA Wrestling on ESPN)

Larry Nelson stood center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would please welcome my guest at this time. He is the voice of the AWA...Lee Marshall!

Decent response as Lee removed his headset, got up from the announcers' table and walked over and climbed into the ring and walked up to Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Lee, word is you have a major announcement for us.

Lee: That's right, Larry.

As you know, I've had some serious problems with a loudmouth wrestler named Tommy Rich.

Despite his historic 120-hour run as NWA World Champion back when John Quincy Adams was still president...the man is a disgrace to that title, any title, and a disgrace to this great sport of pro wrestling!

Crowd cheered.

Marshall: As you know, Tommy Rich recently took the opportunity to put me on the shelf for a few weeks when he busted me open by slamming my head into the ring post.

And you know, Larry, one thing you don't do in sports is put your hands on an announcer. We're here to call the action; we're not here to be a part of the action.

Nelson nodded in agreement.

Marshall: I'm still having occasional headaches from my head hitting that unforgiving post.

So, to get to the point. Tommy Rich! I'm callin' you out!

Fans cheered (at least the sober ones did).

Nelson: Can you tell us the reason for doing this?

Marshall: I want him here in this ring, Larry! And I want him here next week! I just have one question to ask Tommy! And you'll all know the question and Rich's answer hoepfully next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling!

Nelson: You heard it fans! Announcer Lee Marshall is calling out Tommy Rich to ask Rich one question! We should find out soon if this will happen!

Lee Marshall, everybody!

Nice pop from the crowd.

In-Studio: Nelson said to tune in next week to see if Tommy Rich will respond to Lee Marshall.

Pic aired of Jonnie Stewart with the caption: NEXT... WRESTLER OF THE '90s?!

Commercials

Jonnie Stewart win a squash match over Jeff Foxworthy via pinfall with his flying knee to the gut finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Jonnie Stewart! Another win with the flying knee. You know, there are people out there who think you load that knee pad.

Stewart: To those people who think I load my knee pad, I just have one thing to say: you're all idiots with a capital 'I'!

That's all I'm going to say on the issue

Some in the crowd booed.

Nelson: In the past, you've called yourself the 'Wrestler of the '90s'. Do you think that title still belongs to you?

Stewart: What kind of stupid question is that?! Of course, I'm gonna be the wrestler who leads this sport into the new decade! A decade that starts in just three months!

I am going to become the biggest star in wrestling! The people will finally...finally ben exposed to my greatness on an epic scale!

Hulk Hogan! Ric Flair! And yes, Sgt. Slaughter! Prepare to take a backseat to the soon-to-be biggest wrestler of them all...Jonnie Stewart!

The '90s will be mine! All mine! Hahahahaha!

Crowd booed.

Nelson: That was Jonnie Stewart, everybody!

Pic aired of the Guerrero Brothers with the caption: NEXT... MEXICO'S BEST!!!

The Guerrero Brothers won a squash match over Simon Oakland & Darren McGavin via submission when Mando pinned Oakland with a moonsault

In-Studio: Nelson said they had a big announcement about next week's show:

• Kokina Maximus sees action. Will he bring more carnage and destruction down on his opponent like the last time?
  • Super Clash 4 Highlights
  • Super Clash 4 Post-Match interviews with some of the participants
Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... BATTLE ROYAL TIME!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: $25,000 Over-The-Top-Rope Battle Royal

PARTICIPANTS:

Heels:
Col. DeBeers, Destruction Crew, Larry Zbyszko, Badd Company, Manny Fernandez, Akio Sato

Faces: Greg Gagne, Tom Zenk, Ken Patera, Brad Rhengans, Top Guns, Wahoo McDaniel, Jake Milliman

(Shot of the briefcase containing the $25K sitting on the timekeeper's table.)

(During the match, a message periodically scrolled across the bottom of the screen saying the match was recorded before Super Clash 4.)

ORDER OF ELIMINATION:

1:
Akio Sato - By: Brad Rheingans - Thrown over the top rope to the floor

2: Jake Milliman - By: Wayne Bloom - Dumped over the top rope to the floor

3: Derrick Dukes - By: Pat Tanaka - Tanaka came up behind Dukes and dumped Dukes over the top rope to the floor

4: Pat Tanaka - By: Ricky Rice - Bacdropped over the top rope to the floor

5: Greg Gagne - By; Larry Zbyszko - Dropkicked in the back over the top rope to the floor

6: Manny Fernandez - By: Ken Patera - Thrown over the top rope to the floor

7 & 8: Col. DeBeers & Tom Zenk - Double Elimination - Zenk clotheslined DeBeers and the impact carried both men over the top rope to the floor

The two men got to their feet on the floor and had a heated exchange but the floor ref stepped in and kept things from getting physical.

9: Ricky Rice - By: Larry Zbyszko - Rice caught Zbyszko with a flying crossbody and Zbyszko stumbled back against the ropes and dumped Rice over his head and over the top rope to the floor

10: Paul Diamond - By: Wahoo McDaniel - Thrown over the top rope to the floor

11: Brad Rheingans - By: Destruction Crew - Dumped over the top rope to the floor

12: Larry Zbyszko - By: Ken Patera - Clotheslined over the top rope to the floor

13: Wahoo McDaniel - By: Wayne Bloom - Thrown over the top rope down to the floor

This left The Destruction Crew and Ken Patera

14: Mike Enos - By: Ken Patera - Clotheslined over the top rope to the floor

Immediately after Patera eliminated Enos, Bloom charged at Patera just as Patera turned around.

15: Wayne Bloom - By: Patera - Backdropped over the top rope to the floor

WINNER: Patera - 9:36

Ref handed Patera the briefcase containing the $25K and raised Patera's hand in victory.

END PROGRAM

1664835957354.png

KEN PATERA

Last edited:

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I'm posting the final episodes of the current of tapings (1 AWA on ESPN; 1 AWA syndicated show) and then...

THE DECISION!

Will Verne...

...sell to Vince?

...sell to Deborah Harry, John Waters (and possibly Jim Crockett and Bill Watts)?

...sell to Crockett and Watts?

...hold onto the company and try to continue running the AWA himself because of the recent uptick in business?

OR...

...could a new potential buyer from the upper midwest enter the picture? They own major newspapers, a major cable network and one of the most storied franchises in all of sports.

STAY TUNED...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1666131919919.png

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 1989

(NOTE: Eps. 3 and 4 of this round of tapings, while taped before SC 4, would have aired after Super Clash 4.)

(4th Taping Re-cap)

In-Ring Interviewer: Larry Nelson

Show Intro:

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: Jake Milliman vs. Larry Zbyszko

A look back at Super Clash 4 and post-match comments from some of the participants in the historic event

Lee Marshall calls out Tommy Rich

An announcement about the #1 Contender match for a shot at the Women's World Championship

Comments from Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey

Jonnie Stewart sees action

Greg Gagne wrestles

New Segment: AWA News & Notes

And more!!!

Nelson then sent it to the Showboat Sports Pavilion in Las Vegas.

Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans won a squash match over Ernest T. Bass and Denver Pyle via submission when Patera made Bass submit to his swinging full nelson finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Larry Nelson:
Brad Rheingans and Ken Patera, you two are really hot right now. And we know you're aiming for those tag team titles...

Patera: Larry, pardon the interruption. We do want to regain those belts.

But priority number one is getting our hands on the Destruction Crew! We don't care what type of match it is, we just want to battle them in this ring titles on the line or not!

Nelson: Brad, your thoughts right now.

Rheingans: I echo Ken's sentiments, Larry! We've said it a million times! We'll fight the Destruction Crew in any type of match! They can pick the type of match it is; we don't care! We just want Bloom and Enos in the ring! Just let us lock up with 'em!

We see a tag team title shot in our future! But right now...giving the champs a good shellacking is what we're aiming for!

Patera: The Destruction Crew just needs to tell us what kind of match they want with us! We'll be there and we'll be ready for a fight!

Fans cheered.

Nelson: Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans, everybody!

Pic aired of the SC 4 logo with the caption: NEXT... SC 4 HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd a video package of highlights from all the matches at SC 4.

Video started with highlights from the cage match and ended with Baron Von Raschke removing his boots and placing them in the middle of the ring and then walking back up the aisle.

Musical score for the video was Going The Distance from Rocky 1.

Music:

In-Studio: Nelson then intro'd footage of the end of the match between Tom Zenk and Col. DeBeers plus comments from Tom Zenk.

VIDEO:

DeBeers moved in and went to punch Zenk but Zenk blocked the punch try and Zenk fired back on DeBeers with a series of punches that drove DeBeers into the corner. Zenk reared back and hit DeBeers with a big right hand that dropped the Colonel. DeBeers rolled out on the apron. Ref ordered Zenk to stand back. Zenk tried to grab DeBeers but the ref stood in between him and DeBeers. Zenk arguing with the ref. DeBeers made it to his feet facing the crowd.

DeBeers reached into the side pocket of his camo pants and quickly pulled out his hand.

Marshall: Wait a minute! What's that blue stuff on DeBeers' thumb?!

Blears: I have no idea.

DeBeers still facing the crowd when Zenk came up behind DeBeers and spun DeBeers around with the ref in between the pair. Zenk trying to pull DeBeers back into the ring. Ref caught in the middle. DeBeers quickly jabbed his blue thumb in Zenk's eye. Zenk stumbled back and crashed to the mat holding his eye. DeBeers calmly climbed back into the ring. Zenk in great pain and down on the mat. DeBeers reached down, grabbed Zenk, hoisted Zenk up and blasted Zenk with his face-first piledriver finisher. DeBeers rolled Zenk over on his back for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell. Pro-Apartheid crowd cheered their hero as the rest of the crowd booed. Zenk still down holding his eye. DeBeers made sure the ref raised his left hand for obvious reasons.

Marshall: What in the world did DeBeers just do to Zenk's eye?!

Blears: We don't know what that stuff is, Lee. But it's clear that it helped in giving DeBeers the victory.

DeBeers left the ring and dropped to the floor and was quickly approached by Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers! What did you stick in Tom Zenk's...

DeBeers: Shut up! What the people just witnessed in that ring was a victory for decency and morality over vile, shallow American decadence!

The people in this crowd worship at the altar of chemically enhanced muscleheads like Zenk and negro athletes like those on the Green Bay Packers! It's disgusting! Shame on them!

Pic flipped and Tom Zenk was standing in front of the AWA logo in street clothes with mic in hand. Zenk was wearing sunglasses.

Zenk: The reason I'm wearing these sunglasses right now is because of doctor's orders. I have to wear them for the next few days whenever I'm in a lighted area. The only time I can take them off is when I'm in total darkness.

Thankfully, the doc told me that I'm OK. There is no permanent damage from whatever it was that DeBeers rubbed into my eye. It's just that my eye is going to be quite sensitive for a few days. It stings like hell.

But your little plan worked to perfection in our match, DeBeers. The substance you rubbed into my eye stunned me just long enough for you to be able to pin me.

You may think you've won the war, Colonel. But you really only won a battle.

This war has a long way to go before one of us has to finally wave the white flag of defeat.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: MORE TO COME!

Commercials

IT'S THE AWA ON TOUR! We'll be at the high school/community center/county fair/used car dealership parking lot/church fellowship hall in (insert town here). THE AWA IS THE MAJOR LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from after the match at SC 4 between Lawler and Sarge where Sarge won the match to become the undisputed AWA World Champion.

VIDEO:

Sarge looked at Lawler. Larry Nelson moved in as Lawler walked up to Sarge. Larry stuck the mic in between the two as the men looked at each other for several tense seconds.

Lawler (wincing in pain from the piledriver): Sgt. Slaughter.

Pause.

Lawler: You are indeed the deserving and undisputed AWA World Champion.

Lawler presented the belts to Sarge and Sarge took them.

The two looked at each other a little more and then Lawler extended his hand.

Marshall: Sgt. Slaughter better be careful here.

Blears: Indeed, Lawler can be a snake in the grass at times.

After a few more seconds, Sarge extended his hand and the two men...shook hands. Crowd cheering the gesture.

Marshall: Lawler really showed class at the end there, Lord James.

Blears: He did, Lee. Think what you will of Lawler.

Lawler then left the ring to let Sarge have his moment in the sun. Ref came over and raised Sarge's hand in victory. Sarge then held up both belts, one in each hand, to more crowd cheering.

The ref then took one of the AWA belts and strapped it around Sarge's waist.

Sarge then left the ring, the other belt slung over his left shoulder, walking slowly and still feeling the effects of the great battle he'd just been through.

While walking back up the face aisle, Sarge stopped and locked eyes with a fan in a cowboy hat. The two looked at each other for two or three seconds before Sarge continued his journey back up the aisle.

Marshall: Who was that that caught the eye of Sgt. Slaughter?

Blears: We'll have to look at the tape.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson said it was former AWA World Champion Stan Hansen who locked eyes with Sarge.

Nelson said Eric Bischoff caught up with Hansen just as Hansen was about to walk out through the back of the arena.

VIDEO:

Bischoff running.

Bischoff: Stan Hansen! May I get a word with you?!

Hansen in his street clothes and trademark cowboy hat.

Hansen: Make it quick, boy! I got things to do!

Bischoff: We saw you and Sgt. Slaughter lock eyes for a brief moment as Sarge was headed back up the aisle. What was that all about?

Hansen: As things stand right now, son, that's the only thing you and all these people out here in TV land need to know!

Bischoff: So, this isn't over? You'll have more to say?

Hansen: You'll know when I have something else to say because I'll just barge right in on one of your TV shows and say it!

This interview is over! I gotta tend to my cattle on my ranch in Texas!

Hansen stormed out the door as a perplexed Eric Bischoff looked on.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson discussed the situation concerning Stan Hansen. Told fans to keep tuning into AWA programming to see how things unfold with the man from Borger, Texas.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

Jonnie Stewart won a sqush match over Steven Furtick via pinfall with his flying knee to the gut finisher

POST-MATCH:

Stewart left the ring and walked over to Larry Nelson. Nelson was holding the mic.

Stewart: Hold that mic up!

Nelson did as told.

Stewart: I'll get right to the point! We're now just a couple of months from a new decade! And you're lookin' at the man who is gonna be the Wrestler of the '90s!

Crowd booed.

Stewart: You fans are gonna hate me even more when my prophecy comes true! Boo your hearts out, you pencil necks!

Stewart briefly played to the booing fans as the segment ended.

Pic aired of Lee Marshall with the caption: NEXT... SHOWDOWN?!

Commercials

Nelson was standing mid-ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would you please welcome my guest at this time...AWA announcer Lee Marshall.

Fair amount of cheers as Marshall got up from the announcers' table and made his way into the ring.

Marshall acknowledged the fans.

Nelson: Lee, we have heard that Tommy Rich is in the Showboat but we're not sure where. Per your request, his suspension has been lifted.

What do you want to say?

Marshall: Larry, I've made it clear that I was gonna call Tommy Rich out tonight. And that's what I'm gonna do!

Tommy Rich! If you can hear me. Come on down to the ring!

Brief time went by.

Nelson: I wonder if he's anywhere near the Sports Pavilion.

Marshall: Come on out, Tommy.

After another brief period of time went by...

Nelson: It looks like he's not around the Sports Pavilion. I guess we'll just have to...wait a minute!

Rich had come through the front entrance of the Sports Pavilion and made his way past the ringside seats, over the barricade and climbed into the ring as the crowd booed his appearance. Rich was in street clothes.

Rich briefly played to the crowd to more boos. Rich then reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a wad of cash and waved it in the air.

Rich: I'd have been here earlier, but I had a great run of luck at the Blackjack table as you can see.

I'm here, Marshall, let's get this over and done with. I gotta Blackjack table to get back to.

Marshall: Tommy...it's hard for me to control my anger right now...

Rich: Just stay calm, man. I ain't got time for fightin' tonight. Only thing I got time for is winnin'.

Marshall: When you slammed my head into that ring post that was the last straw for me.

Rich: Well, you deserved it. Glad I could be of help.

Marshall paced around for a few seconds.

Marshall: I'll get to the point. Tommy, I called you out here to...

Rich: Choose your words carefully. You're talkin' to a former NWA World Champion.

Marshall: Right. Right. How could any wrestling fan forget that 5-day World Title reign of Tommy Rich! It was the greatest 120 hours in the history of the sport!

Rich: Watch your mouth, Marshall! A World Champion should be treated with the respect he deserves!

Marshall: Respect?! You, Tommy?! Respect?! Respect is earned, not handed out like candy on Halloween.

Rich: Now I'm gettin' mad. You might be affecting my mojo for when I return to the Blackjack table! Make your point!

Marshall: Here's the point, then!

Tommy, I want you in a wrestling match!

Crowd popped.

Rich looked away and briefly chuckled and then looked back at Lee.

Rich: You really want a match with me...a former NWA World Champion? Haha! He's joking, Larry.

Marshall: It's no joke. I want a match with you on one condition.

Rich: Let me guess, I have to have my hands tied behind my back.

Marshall: No. The only thing I'm...

Rich: I have to be blindfolded, right? I can't see you.

Marshall: No. Since I'm not a wrestler, I'll need some time to train. And I want it to be a tag match. You pick your partner and I'll pick mine.

Rich: You want a tag match with me, huh?

Well, I'll give you your match, Lee Marshall. Each of us picks their tag partner.

But I want one stipulation added to the match.

Marshall: What is it?

Rich: If my team wins...then I get five minutes alone with you in the ring. Just you and me. No one can interfere and no AWA officials can stop the five-minute period for any...and I mean any...reason.

No matter how ugly or bloody it may get, the five minutes are the full five minutes.

Marshall: If the AWA bosses will agree to all this then I accept.

Crowd buzzing.

Rich: You're on, Lee Marshall. It won't take me long to find a partner. And I'm really going to enjoy cleaning your clock in the five-minute period after you and your tag partner, whoever that will be, lose to me and selected partner.

Now, I gotta go. A Blackjack table is calling my name.

Rich left the ring and headed back out through the ringside seating area and exited through the main entrance of the Sports Pavilion as Lee Marshall looked on.

Pic aired of Sgt. Slaughter with the caption: NEXT... CELEBRATION!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage of the post-match locker room celebration for Sgt. Slaughter winning the match to determine the undisputed AWA World Champion.

VIDEO:

Video opened with Sarge, still in his ring attire and one AWA World Title still around his waist (the other had been set down).

Eric: We're here with the undisputed AWA World Champion Sgt. Slaughter!

Some of the faces came into the picture and sprayed Sarge with bottles of champagne.

Eric: Whoa! Looks like the party has already begun for the Sarge!

Sarge laughing and shaking hands and receiving hugs from some of his fellow face wrestlers.

Off-camera voice: Here's some for you, Bischoff!

Bischoff doused with champagne.

Bischoff: Oh, man! It's getting crazy in here!

Off-camera voice: It's gonna get a lot crazier later tonight!

Another off-camera voice: It sure is! We're gonna celebrate the new and undisputed AWA World Champion...Sgt. Slaughter!

Whoops and hollers heard in the background.

Bischoff: Sarge, how does it feel right now?

Sarge: The feeling is indescribable, Eric! It really is!

I knew it was gonna be a tough match going in and it was that and more!

And I wanna say one thing here: Jerry Lawler proved himself to be a class act with his gesture to me after the match!

After what's gone down between us the last several months, I certainly did not see Lawler going out of his way to congratulate me on winning and becoming the undisputed AWA World Champion!

If Lawler sees this I say to him: a tip of the hat to you, Jerry! You're a great wrestler and a man of honor!

More champagne poured on Sarge.

Eric: Sarge continues to get a champagne bath here in the locker room.

What's next for the undisputed AWA World Champion?!

Sarge: Undisputed. I like the sound of that!

Right now, Eric, I'm just gonna enjoy tonight and go out and celebrate this win!

But then it's back to work! Pro wrestling doesn't have seasons! And the World Champion never rests!
There will always be new challengers on the horizon!

And I promise the great fans of the AWA one thing: I will be a fighting champion that you can be proud of!

Eric: When you left the ring after your match with Lawler, we saw you lock eyes with a fan. That fan turned out to be Stan Hansen. Do you know why he's here?

Sarge: No idea why he's here! I was just stunned to see him in the crowd!

Eric: Well, Stan Hansen is not an issue tonight, fans! This is Eric Bischoff in the victorious locker room that's celebrating Sgt. Slaughter defeating Jerry Lawler to become the undisputed AWA World Champion!

Congratulations on your victory tonight at Super Clash 4, Sgt. Slaughter!

Sarge: Thank you!

More champagne-spraying and laughter and celebration as the video wrapped up.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey with the caption: NEXT... SHEIK SPEAK!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's Kokina Maximus match and post-match comments from Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey.

VIDEO:

(From last week's AWA Wrestling on ESPN)

Allen had unsteadily made it to his feet and Kokina moved in and caught Allen with a throat thrust. Kokina picked up the ragdoll-like Allen and popped him with a side slam. Allen flatlined. Kokina then hit Allen with a leg drop across the chest. Kokina got up and repeated the brutal move. Ref called for the bell.

Nelson jumped up on the ring apron. Ref went over and had a few words with Nelson.

Nelson: The referee has ruled that Jerry Allen cannot continue! Therefore, your winner of the match by stoppage...Kokina Maximus!

Kaissey and the masked doc climbed into the ring. Kokina up and staring down at the man he just destroyed.

Ref went back over to Nelson and said something real quick off-mic.

Nelson: Can we please get some medical...

Masked Doctor went over to Nelson, shook his head 'no', and said something off-mic to Nelson.

Nelson: But...we need...

Masked Doc: I've got this. Everything is under control. I'm a doctor.

Doc went over and told the ref to step back and the ref did so. Masked Doctor knelt down next to Allen and placed his doctor bag on the mat. Doc pulled a pen light out of his jacket pocket and shined it into Allen's eyes. He used his fingers to check for a pulse. The doctor then pulled a stethescope out of his bag and checked Allen's heartbeat. Doctor looked at Kaissey, shook his head 'yes', and said to Kaissey: He'll be okay in a week or two. Doctor then gestured for the stretcher to be wheeled over next to the ring. Two attendants did the honors. Kaissey and the Masked Doctor grabbed Allen and dragged him over by the ropes. Kaissey and the MD then dropped to the floor, pulled Allen out of the ring and placed him on the stretcher. Kokina dropped to the floor and grabbed the stretcher and pushed it back up the heel aisle as Kaissey and the MD followed behind him.

Pic flipped and Kaissey was standing in the locker room with Kokina and the mysterious masked doctor standing behind him. Kaissey had a mic.

Kaissey: The barbarian has come to the AWA and his name is Kokina Maximus!

Praise be to Allah for sending him to me!

I want to tell any wrestler who signs to wrestle Kokina that we now provide a post-match stretcher service to give you a free ride to the hospital emergency room!

And this is just the start, you infidels!

This is just a warning shot! There will be more broken bodies! More suffering and more pain inflicted upon the entire AWA!

And Jerry Blackwell! We haven't forgotten about you! Oh no! You're still dead red in our sights!

The day is coming when the epic clash will happen! Kokina Maximus vs. Jerry Blackwell! And it will not just be the worst day of Blackwell's career! It will be the worst day of his life!

We have big plans! And our ultimate goal...Kokina Maximus will one day reign as the supreme overlord of the AWA when he becoms the AWA World Champion!

There will be no way the AWA can avoid giving this man a championship match! Not a chance!

And when it happens...the AWA will be changed forever!

END VIDEO

In-Studio
: Nelson discussed the post-match comments from El-Kaissey. Said Kokina looks to be the biggest threat to the wrestlers the AWA has ever seen in terms of the damage he can do.

Then sent it back to Vegas.

Greg Gagne won a squash match over Baarney Miller via submission with the Gagne Sleeper (TM).

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... AWA NEWS & NOTES!

Commercials

AWA NEWS & NOTES WITH BILL APTER

Segment opened with a newsy theme and Bill Apter sitting in the shadows at an office desk with a Smith-Carona eledctric typewriter sitting to his left on the desk.

Intro Theme:

The lights came up and showed Apter sitting at his desk in suit jacket and tie. A cigarette was burning and sitting on the edge of an ashtray and a half drunk bottle of whiskey sat behind the typewriter.

Apter: This is Bill Apter of Pro Wrestling Illustrated with AWA News & Notes.

We are finally gonna see who earns the right to face Wendi Richter for the AWA Women's World Championship.

Lelani Kai and Magnificent Mimi will square of in the #1 Contender's Match next week on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN,

These are two very talented lady wrestlers and it should be a barn-burner of a match. Wendi Richter will have her hands full with whomever she defends the title against.

Now that Sgt. Slaughter has dispatched of Jerry Lawler to become the undisputed AWA World Champion, the burning question is now: who will be the next wrestler to step up and challenge Sgt. Slaughter for the belt?

There are several AWA wrestlers who look like worthy contenders. My sources tell me that former champion Larry Zbyszko, Col. DeBeers and even the undefeated fan favorite Sam Houston look like they might challenge the Sarge for the AWA World Title soon.

Kokina Maximus has looked postively devastating in his first two matches in the AWA. This man appears to be a one-man threat to the entire AWA. Can he destroy the structure of the promotion and have it re-built in a way that benefits himself and manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey?

Also, who is this doctor that comes to ringside with Kokina and Kaissey. And why is he wearing a mask? Is he even a doctor?

On a programming note: Not only will you get the Women's #1 Contender match on AWA Wrestling on ESPN next week; you'll also be seeing the match pitting Greg Valentine in his AWA debut match against Baron Von Raschke. If you missed it the first time it's worth checking out. And if you saw it live on Super Clash 4 watch it again. At the end, Baron Von Rachke bids an emotional farewell to the sport he loves so much.

You haven't heard much about the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament lately because of the build-up to Super Clash 4. The good news is it's not been forgotten.

A tournament to decide the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion will be held this February in Anaheim, California at the Anaheim Convention Center. It will be a one-day, two-session event. Call the Anaheim Convention Center box office at 1-(714)-555-1812 for more information.

That's it for now. I'm Bill Apter. See you next time.

Outro Music:

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about the debut edition of AWA News and Notes. Hyped the Women's match and the replay of the Valentine-Baron match from SC 4 for next week's AWA Wrestling on ESPN.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIN EVENT!

TV MAIN EVENT:
Jake Milliman vs. Larry Zbyszko

Zbyszko came out to pretty strong boos but also had his core of fans.

Milliman came out to the song Milkcow Blues Boogie by Elvis.

Milliman was holding a bottle of milk and was wearing his 'Milkmania' t-shirt.

Milliman got a pretty good ovation coming to the ring.

Milliman stepped into the ring and briefly played to the crowd including cupping his hand to his ear and turning to all four sides of the ring to hear the cheers.

Milliman took a swig from the bottle of milk, handed the bottle off to the ref and then Jake ripped off his t-shirt Hogan-style and threw it into the crowd.

Jake took the match to Zbyszko early and then Zbyszko gained the upper hand for a period of time before the match turned into a see-saw affair.

End of the match saw Zbyszko with the upper hand. Zbyszko working over Milliman in the corner when Milliman suddenly stiffened up and was not feeling the effects of Zbyszko's punches. Zbyszko wondered what was going on. MIlliman then let out a loud Moo! Some in the crowd moo'ed back (or booed, not sure which).

Zbyszko went to hit Jake with another punch but Milliman blocked it and fired away on Zbyszko with a series of head shots. Milliman whipped Zbyszko into the ropes and caught ZByszko coming off with a clothesline that decked Zbyszko. Crowd cheering. Zbyszko up and Milliman drove Zbyszko into the corner with head shots followed by a series of rapid-fire kicks to the gut. Zbyszko staggered out of the corner doubled over. Milliman went to whip Zbyszko into the ropes but Zbyszko reversed and blasted Milliman coming off with a jumping spin kick to the chest. Milliman crashed to the mat. Zbyszko quickly regained his bearings and snatched Milliman up and nailed Milliman with a piledriver. Zbyszko for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed lustily. Zbyszko up and the ref raised his hand in victory as the program ended.

WINNER: Zbyszko - Pinfall - 6:13

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

6-Man Elimination Tag Match:
Jerry Lawler (AWA WC) & The Destruction Crew (AWA WTTC) vs. Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC), Don Muraco & Wahoo McDaniel

Order of Elimination:

1) Muraco - PInned by Mike Enos with a roll-up and Enos grabbing the tights - 5:17

2) Enos - Pinned by Sarge with an inverted suplex slam (gourdbuster) - 8:14

3 & 4) Slaughter & Lawler - Battled to a double count out on the floor - 14:29

5) Bloom - Pinned by Wahoo after with Wahoo's ig chop to the chest finisher after Enos came back out and tried to interfere on behalf of Bloom after a ref bump but the interference backfired

WINNER: Wahoo, Muraco & Sarge (AWA WC) - 18:07 (Wahoo bled)

Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

RESULT: Double DQ - 7:44

'The Trooper' Del Wilkes vs. Manny Fernandez

WINNER: Wilkes - Pinall - Small Package - 11:21

PAID ATTENDANCE: 3,031

COMPS GIVEN OUT: 563

COMPS USED: 212

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 3,243

1666132065303.png

Comic icon and Las Vegas Strip mainstay Rip Taylor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris