Attention all Breaking Bad Fans

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
This was one of the best shows to ever air on TV.... it took you through every emotion possible and made you want more and more. It was much like the blue meth that Jesse and Mr. White were cooking up. The characters on the shows were some of the most memorable ever. @Dolph'sZiggler is correct about Todd, he is one of the best on the show definitely. Watch the show all the way through... you have to be intelligent to understand and enjoy the show and that is why a lot of people don't like it.. they get lost somewhere in it because they aren't intelligent enough to follow it through. You won't be disappointed.

Tumbas' #1 Fan

Guardian
Reaction score
Ozymandias. People actually use that episode as a quote when talking about other episodes from shows. "Dawg, that was totally the Ozymandias of Walking Dead." "DUDE, OZYMANDIAS OF BIG BANG THEORY, BROSKI!"

Ozymandias is where everything goes to shit.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
I gotta say something, Breaking Bad is not that great on a rewatch, I'm jammin' through the show from the beginning, and without the vivid spoiler-free excitement, it's not that elite. And why? Because the show's main forte is the "what happens next" institute, the adrenaline rush that comes with it. What now? Are they getting clipped? Imagine the shitstorm when everyone finds out about Walt! Is Jesse going to burn the house down? etc... They relied way too much onto it, IMO. Just think about all those cliffhangers... There was too much of them, and I remember complaining about them even during the last summer. It takes away from character qualities, because all hopes are put into suspense.

So yeah, take that away, and you still have a marvelous character study of Walter White, and some truly terrific performances. But the character study was not the true backbone of the show, the "what happens next" shit was. And once you go through all that adrenaline rush... You catch my drift, I hope. That's why I don't consider BrBa an elite drama like Wire, Sopranos, The Shield or Mad Men. Those dramas put their character/society studies first, and for instance, that's why I can watch them all the time. Characters, motherfucker! There are nights when I spend hours on YT just watching The Wire clips, for example. But BrBa is still a Top 10 drama, I reckon, which is great success in my book.

And don't forget that borderline bullshit "Hollywood hero" series finale, brothers.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Iono I thought the whole series was fantastic, granted it did get a little slow here and there but that all comes with the territory of being a drama on AMC.
Truthfully I was actually the first one of my group of friends and mainly my main group of people to hang out with (about like 40-50ish people) to discover the show like 5 episodes into the first season, they all thought I was stupid for watching a lame AMC drama.. next thing I know Season 2 ends and I'm getting texts along the lines of "dude you were right all along this show is amazingggg!" or "sry i doubted you about Breaking bad".. showed them huh!

I liked the ending but I didn't at the same time and here's why in a spoiler (DON'T READ IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED SHOW)
The overall ending result was good, I liked how it played out.. howeverr!! I had a big problem with the timing format on how they played it out.. seems to me the material they jampacked into the last episode they could've separated into three different episodes and would've made it that much better imo. The first episode should've covered the whole trek on the way upto wherever Walter White was taking refuge (IIRC it was like Alaska) and then covered some things back in the family life at home, touched on Jessie a bit and such and then showed what his life was like in Alaska for that point.. The next episode should've been an elongated version of what the actual finale was minus the beginning scenes in Alaska (would've taken care of that in the previous episode) and then end with him going on his way to Toddy's Neo-Nazi Uncle's house. The final episode should've started off with the way the actual finale ended except a bit longer, then the last twenty minutes of the episode would be the aftermath of it all.. for example did Flynn (Walt Jr) ever get the money that Walt left for him at those people's house whom he threatened with "red dot sights :)", What happened to Skyler after the incident with Walter ended did she move on with her life did she move out of the house she was in protection at? and then honestly they could've done like a scene with a memorial service to Hank, and then a brief little vignette on what Saul was upto and boom end it with whatever happened to Jesse, did he fully adopt Brock; where did he end up.

Reactions: akapablo_

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Regarding that thing you mentioned in spoiler, you can thank cheap fucks from AMC on that. The AMC bosses are notorious for being cheap, rotten cocksuckers. They're spinning that we got 3 extra episodes for Season 5, when in reality, we got ripped for 10 episodes (we got 16 instead of 26). Hence why the "one season in two parts" spin shit. They're doing the same with Mad Men (7+7). I don't watch The Walking Dead, but many people are saying that there was a season filled with useless dialogues and shit on just one cheap locations because of the AMC fucks.

Reactions: Lockard 23

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
It's a consistently great show that didn't overstay it's welcome and went off the air at about the right time. It's not without it's faults, of course - the first half of Season 3 is fairly slow and I dare even say a bit boring (although things really pick up big time at about the sixth episode) and Season 5 is an odd season because they split it into two "parts", but tried to pass it off as one season. The way it's written and executed, however, makes it feel like two separate 8 episode seasons rather than just one whole, 16-episode season. IMO, they really should have just made two 13-episode seasons and let the story flow organically instead of trying to cram too much into S5 and making it feel rushed, but oh well. They still managed to produce a great ending to the show regardless, though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wasn't huge on the first half of season 3. Though I don't stop at a "bit boring", I outright hated those episodes. Luckily, they were followed up by some of the best television I've ever seen and fairly quickly too (One Minute). Anyway, I won't bother detailing my thoughts on this site again, nobody needs to scroll through another nigh 3,000 word post again so they can start reading the thread again. I suppose the concise version of that would be, is that the entry barrier is a little higher than I'd like to normally recommend but the show becomes so immeasurably exhilarating during the second half that it'd be a shame not to experience the full journey at least once.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wasn't huge on the first half of season 3. Though I don't stop at a "bit boring", I outright hated those episodes. Luckily, they were followed up by some of the best television I've ever seen and fairly quickly too (One Minute). Anyway, I won't bother detailing my thoughts on this site again, nobody needs to scroll through another nigh 3,000 word post again so they can start reading the thread again. I suppose the concise version of that would be, is that the entry barrier is a little higher than I'd like to normally recommend but the show becomes so immeasurably exhilarating during the second half that it'd be a shame not to experience the full journey at least once.

A big part of it for me was Tuco's cousins. I know they weren't on-screen a whole lot and I did enjoy where that whole storyline went (the shootout with Hank and the fact that Walt's drug money ended up helping Hank pay for his physical therapy, which would come back to haunt Hank later on), but they were too one dimensional for me to care about. I know they weren't supposed to be incredibly deep or anything because they were just hitmen, but still. The whole "evil twins who look at each other at the same time, barely speak and kill without changing facial expressions" made them seem like stereotypical, disposable villains from a Steven Seagal or Jean Claude Van Damme B-action flick. And we certainly dodged a bullet on this one (no pun intended) because Gilligan said they were supposed to be the main story of the entire season. The original plan was for Walt to somehow avoid them until the season finale where he ended up having to deal with them and kill 'em off himself, but then they realized that taking the show in the direction of Gus would have been more interesting. Thank fuck for that.

And not to poke holes in the writing, but I question why it took so long for them to arrive in ABQ anyway. Tuco said in 2x03 that his cousins would be up there later in the day, and yet a good 3-4 months pass between that episode and 3x01 when they first arrive to town. What took them so long?

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
The fact you dudes dislike the first half of Season 3 worries me. It was slower, but so what? After the events that happened at the end of S2, a certain remixing of characters and relationships was much needed and welcome. It was a welcome change, you can't have adrenaline rush all the time.

I wonder does anyone of you watch Mad Men then.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
A big part of it for me was Tuco's cousins. I know they weren't on-screen a whole lot and I did enjoy where that whole storyline went (the shootout with Hank and the fact that Walt's drug money ended up helping Hank pay for his physical therapy, which would come back to haunt Hank later on), but they were too one dimensional for me to care about. I know they weren't supposed to be incredibly deep or anything because they were just hitmen, but still. The whole "evil twins who look at each other at the same time, barely speak and kill without changing facial expressions" made them seem like stereotypical, disposable villains from a Steven Seagal or Jean Claude Van Damme B-action flick. And we certainly dodged a bullet on this one (no pun intended) because Gilligan said they were supposed to be the main story of the entire season. The original plan was for Walt to somehow avoid them until the season finale where he ended up having to deal with them and kill 'em off himself, but then they realized that taking the show in the direction of Gus would have been more interesting. Thank fuck for that.

And not to poke holes in the writing, but I question why it took so long for them to arrive in ABQ anyway. Tuco said in 2x03 that his cousins would be up there later in the day, and yet a good 3-4 months pass between that episode and 3x01 when they first arrive to town. What took them so long?

Yeah, they were probably the least compelling of all the antagonists in the series. Not my biggest reason for disliking it but I certainly wouldn't look back on that segment of the series so negatively had they at least been engaging. Still, I think my biggest gripe is probably Ted because my god, he was infuriatingly dull. My memories probably over-exaggerating his screen time during those episodes but he was really boring. Though I can slip my issues with this half into my next response so I'll continue there . . .

The fact you dudes dislike the first half of Season 3 worries me. It was slower, but so what? After the events that happened at the end of S2, a certain remixing of characters and relationships was much needed and welcome. It was a welcome change, you can't have adrenaline rush all the time.

I wonder does anyone of you watch Mad Men then.

I don't disagree that the first half was necessary & I don't necessarily correlate a slower pace with quality. It certainly can be but a more methodical pace can be incredibly effective to building up future moments but the construction has to be compelling & I honestly don't feel like much of anything in the first half of season three was. Continuing this in spoilers since I'll be bringing them up . . .

I would never accuse Breaking Bad of wasting my time. Even apparently insignificant sub-plots like Marie's kleptomania ended up having a point as it lead to probably the most vital character development for Marie. Now granted, my lost post is rather harsh about the content & I didn't bother to elaborate but the antagonists, as Lockard already addressed, were too bland. Personally, I found the whole Ted story to be incredibly dull & I know it's important to be focusing on this but surely, they could've find a way to make the road there enjoyable. Also, if I remember right, Jesse barely got any scenes during those episodes (which again, makes sense) & as my favorite character that kind hurt my interest. But as I recall, he got more & more each episode.

Basically, I consider the first half of season three a necessary evil. I like it for all that happens because of it but I hated watching it. Also, about the, "you can't have adrenaline rush all the time." line, I don't think that's really applicable. Granted, I didn't clearly express my feelings on the series because I did a really long post about it quite some time ago but I liked both season 1 & season 2 despite how my previous post likely came off, & I would only consider Crazy Handful of Nothin' & Grilled to be episodes that contain adrenaline rushes. Granted, I love those episodes but neither are even my favorite episode from the first two seasons (4 Days Out is).

& no, I haven't watched Mad Men. I don't tend to watch these types of show (actually, I need to clarify, I don't tend to watch shows with the forty-five minute run-time) & from what little I know about Mad Men, it doesn't really interest me. Still have to get around to watching The Wire, The Sopranos and The Shield though on this note.

Reactions: Lockard 23