Ask Phantomgerald a sports question

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

phantomgerald

Ok i guess we've seen this type of threads all over the forum, and I'm a ripoff and all, but I think I'm the most active sports fan in this thread. I think i can answer anything about my opinion on topics about the NFL, NBA, soccer, tennis, and golf.

So ask away.

phantomgerald

Brett Favre. I don't stay in America so I don't experiece the entire football culture from a young age, and I only watched my first NFL match in 2002. The first match i watched was a packers match, and Favre had a great game. I instantly liked him. And i liked quarterbacks more than wide receivers and running backs anyway, because they need to think more instead of just relying on speed or strength

phantomgerald

At this stage, it's still too early to tell. Anything can happen in a year's time. Many world #1's have suffered an injury and never regain that kind of form again. Also, it'll be interesting to see how muh Djokovic and Nadal can improve. That being said, he has to like his chances of winning it again.

phantomgerald

If you are talking about overrated based on the salary, I would say Rashard Lewis and Jason Richardson. Rashard actually got a max contract from Orlando Magic, which I think overpaid to get a player that have been an understudy his whole career and have not actually achieved something. Jason Richardson is a good player, but the contract he signed with GS is more of a star player contract, and thats not what he is. He's a good player, but no one will even warrant considering him a hall-of-fame spot. Plus, Charlotte traded their high draft pick for him, and expects him to carry the team. My predictions is this move will slap the bobcats in the face when Wight becomes an all-star whereas Richardson goes on a decline.

There are another two players that come to mind. Jermaine O'Neal and Stephon Marbury. Marbury can be a great player in his heyday, but now he doesn't play with any fire and in my opinion, doesn't even deserve a start. JO is a decent low-post player, but he's just a Zach Randolph with better defense, and nothing in that Kevin garnett category

Soulpower

With Steve Francis back in Houston (Where he achieved his greatest success) do you see the Rockets as one of the top teams in the West? And just as important, can they finally get out of the First Round of the Playoffs?

circle

Reaction score
Actually I got a question, Which team in the NBA has had the best off-season, and which team had the worst off-season

phantomgerald

With Steve Francis back in Houston (Where he achieved his greatest success) do you see the Rockets as one of the top teams in the West? And just as important, can they finally get out of the First Round of the Playoffs?

The thing about Francis is that since he has been traded to New York, he has become injury-prone and lost his form. If he manages to not get injured, he'll be a valuable asset to the rockets. As for whether the rockets can get past the first round of the playoffs, it would have to depend on how lucky they are with injuries to Francis, T-mac and Yao, and if they manage to avoid any major injuries, then getting to the conference finals should be a realistic goal. I think they're still one player short of getting to the finals, and they don't have a solid 6th man

phantomgerald

Actually I got a question, Which team in the NBA has had the best off-season, and which team had the worst off-season

The best team would have to be either Portland or Boston. The trail blazers managed to get rid of Randolph, and with such a low-percentage, get the top pick in the lottery, thus getting a great player in Oden. Plus, they managed to get Steve Blake to solve their PG problem. I like the trade of Ray Allen and Glen Daivs. Ray, Jefferson and Pierce are one of the best 1-2-3 combos in the league, and now I reckon the Celtics are a force to be reckoned with. Glen Davis I think have a future in this league if he manages to lose some weight, and although they did give up the draft pick to Seattle, they managed to build a team when Pierce is in his prime, and I predict at least the conference semis for them.

As for the worst off-season, I would say the Heat. O'Neal gets a year older, and they lose unrestricted free agent Kapono. Plus, their quest for a point-guard seems futile and Francis, Blake, Mo willliams and Fisher have all rejected them.

circle

Reaction score
Very good point on FA.

Training camp is less than a week away. Which NFL team, player, coach do you think has a lot to prove for this upcoming season?

phantomgerald

The New England Patriots and the San Diego Chargers. The patriots are favourites now with Stallworth, Walker and Moss added to the wide receivers corp, and the signing of Adalius Thomas improves the defense. If they don't get to the superbowl, I think that the season should be considered a failure. San Diego had the best player last year in LaDanian Tomlinson, and they were downright amazing in the season, but they choked in the playoffs, and they got to prove that they have what it takes to win a superbowl, especially after changing coaches and not losing much in the off-season, they would have no more excuses.

As for which player have the most to prove, I think it would be Randy Moss. Did the patriots get the sulky, egoistic Randy Moss or did they get the Randy Moss that had the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL.

For coaches, I would say Jack Del Rio of the jacksonville jaguars. I respect him for wearing suits to games, which I think should be standard dressing for coaches, but he has not really improved the jaguars and they have a complicated qb situation that needs to be sorted out

Fatal 55

Reaction score
Bit of a bump...

Who are the "Dark-horses" for the next NFL season In your Opinion ?

phantomgerald

Bit of a bump...

Who are the "Dark-horses" for the next NFL season In your Opinion ?

Thanks for the bump anyway, I am really enjoying answering the questions.

I would say the St louis Rams, they have a great offense that has always been let down by their defense too many times, and people tend to forget how good their offense is. They got the third best running back in the game. Jackson is behind only LT and Larry Johnson. With macmichael, the offense will grow even stronger. Drafting Carriker will improve the DE. Their defense still needs improving, but I expect the offense to carry them more than ever.