Are fans ever satisfied?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Chris Jericho recently talked with the Daily Star about his imminent departure from WWE. Here is what he had to say.

“I’m in the best shape ever, I’m not hurt, I can easily come back for as long as I want whenever I want, but people should understand that I’m not going to wrestle until I’m 85-years-old," Jericho told Patrick Lennon of the Star. "I ended up signing for four months longer than I planned to do. And, yes, when it’s done I’ll devote myself 100 percent to Fozzy for our run."

Jericho also spoke about wrestling fans. "(C.M.) Punk and I had some good thoughts on what we could do together and people were saying screw you, you’re only back for the payday at Mania," Jericho said. He added later, "Sometimes I wonder what people want. Do they want us to wrestle forever? I’m a sell-out because I quit? Rock and Taker came back because they love wrestling, and the fans, yet still people bitch."

I agree. There's no pleasing the 'Community. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. What do people want? You can't be like The Rock and leave for years then come back because you sold out. On the contrary, you can't be John Cena and stay because then you're hogging the main event scene and people get bored with you. Undertaker still puts on wonderful matches every year at Mania because even though he knows he can't do it every day, he loves the business and the fans but you will come across that one asshole saying "HE TOO OLD. HE NEED TO RETIRE." However, if Taker would've left a long time ago to pursue other things like Jericho and Rock, he'd be just of a sellout. There's no middle ground with people. So what do we as fans want?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
People who think The Rock's done anything but good for wrestling and/or "sold out" and/or bought into WWE propaganda that him not being on Raw all the time is a bad thing, is stupid. Plain & simple.

Cena gets hated on because he's a terrible terrible terrible promo, and a cancer to the company's growth, more than anything. Most people who say stuff about him hogging the spotlight are just bitter Punk marks who want to blame someone else for him being such a failure as champion and relegated to a mid-card act.

Taker gets tons of respect by almost everyone, Lol.

Again, who said Y2J came back for a paycheck or sold out? People kissed his ass on his matches with Punk even though they were pretty crappy for the first 80% of each. The only thing people were pissed at was after RR because of a promise HE made, that didn't get delivered. Y2J just has a way too huge ego, his words don't exactly have a lot of cred with how much a legit douchebag he's become, just like Punk.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
In the end many people say many things. Not everybody thinks the same, some people are polarizing, some have a vocal minority backing them. Lumping everyone into one "community" that all has the same opinion just is a show of ignorance by Jericho, and many others in the business, scarily. In the end wrestling is no different than any sport or public activity. There's always going to be a majority and minority in opinions...that doesn't mean because you see a groundswell of negativity or positivity towards one thing or another, that everyone with a similar background agrees, as caring about something or someone enough to voice displeasure when things fall below expectations is what keeps this, or any other industry alive.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
In the end wrestling is no different than any sport or public activity. There's always going to be a majority and minority in opinions...that doesn't mean because you see a groundswell of negativity or positivity towards one thing or another, that everyone with a similar background agrees, as caring about something or someone enough to voice displeasure when things fall below expectations is what keeps this, or any other industry alive.

Pretty much.

As for Cena, people hate him cause he's been stale for the past four years (or longer I've really lost count). He hasn't evolved at all, turning him heel won't really be needed if he gets booed enough already, in all seriousness Cena needs a break. He wrestled through the weeks leading up to Mania (explains why Rock looked sluggish) and leading up to his match against Brock. He needs a break and we need a break, from him.

Reaction score
I thought Jericho signed a two year deal? He's worked 1/4th of the deal, so while his "departure is imminent" so is another return. I cosign what HTK said about Jericho being a douche. He's a douche that doesn't perform anywhere near as good as he did two years ago. He hasn't matured well like Taker, Trips and HBK did. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he left, it would open up a spot for someone hungry for it like a Rhodes, Ziggler or Bryan.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Definitely Bryan. I'm glad that Punk and Bryan are finally feuding with each other now. Plus it's supposed to continue throughout the summer. I just hope Cesaro and Ohno can get some involvement.

Rell

Reaction score
MizMasta, your signature is brilliant.

and as for the opening question, ehhhh...when you think back @ wrestling in the late 90's/early 2000's, it's seemingly all good, right? I mean, those were the golden ages of wrestling, no? who the fuck was complaining then?

welp...recently I found a buncha old forum threads from that time (late 1999/early 2000's) and uhh...well......

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.pro-wrestling.wwf/browse_thread/thread/975898c316d8812d?pli=1

I'm sick and tired of Stone Cold, he isn't a good wrestler anyway. He has just as much stamina as Chyna which alot. They both start out fast and end up slow, most of their of their matches are boring.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt....6bd?lnk=gst&q=the+rock+sucks#56501b01dc10c6bd

Apparently, The Rock sucked...

ALL HE DOES IS TALK. HIS MATCHES ARE SUB-STANDARD. HIS FANS ARE MOSTLY LITTLE GIRLS AND HOMOS WHO HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM. WHERE WERE ALL THESE FANS A YEAR AGO AT WRESTLEMANIA 15.
Jericho is sooooo repetitive

Raw was so damn boring. Is anybody else tired of HHH and the others
coming at and talking the same boring **** every Monday night? Give me a
break. And then Jericho comes out and says the same crap he has been
saying for awhile.
Just general hate all around

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.pro-wrestling.wwf/browse_thread/thread/9f09bdfec74c6e9f#

1. McMahons taking centre stage. the people want to see wrestlers. Does
everybody not think that Vince was better as a commentator, the promoter
promoting his own company.
2. Every Raw and Smack Down has 20 minutes of interviews. We want wrestling
action!
3.Unbelievable story lines the marriage of Triple H /Steph, Foley's first
'retirement'
4. Poor mic skills - Steph, Shane, Linda, Big Show I'm looking in your
direction
5. The Rock's catchphrases suck
6. Talented wrestlers who need good angles X Pac and Kane.
7. Remember when Test was engaged to Steph- he was over with the fans but
they didn't follow it up. Now he's back to jobbing.
8. Jericho is the best all round athlete in WWF-push him (further)
9. Backstage crap involving Bossman, Terri and Head cheese
10. The minute Austin and Undertaker come back WWF ratings will increase.
until Vince screws Austin over at a PPV. Yawn .
Oh, and look at their gripes with The Rock. Sound familiar??

Rocks matches are all pretty much the same, he lays the smackdown on
his opponent in the corner, he start to struggle, he then comes back
with a DDT, then a Samoan drop, then the rock bottom, then one of the
worst moves in sports entertainment today the peoples elbow.
Oh HAI John Cena

Edit: I say all that to say this. No. Fans are never satisfied. lol

...god...

Reaction score
lmao.
You bet... Jericho is one of my fav's but he is not the best all around...
And he should not be pushed to main event because then where will he go?
Once you're at the top there's no where to go but down... Just think Rock is
only 27, but because of his insane push he is now limited to main event
caliber matches for the next 7 or 8 years?!? Can people stand him for that
long? I can't stand him already... I haven't been able to stand him...
:roflmao:

...god...

Reaction score
Fyi, difference between The Rock up and coming and Cena now is that The Rock was a face and didn't get booed 90% of the time... lol. He also was smart and knew the crowd gets sick of you if you're on TV each and every fuckin week.

As for the thread, like said already, grouping the whole community as one is pointless. I don't think any of those things for instance, other than the fact that Rocky sold out which he did. He sold out big time, he even admitted the other week the publicists that he hired told him to pretend he was never in wrestling and to never bring it up again at one point and he went with it. Now I'm not saying it would be smart to be an advocate of wrestling after Benoit offed his family, but him coming out and standing up for them and for the business he loved woulda made sense and helped them somewhat out of shit. Or to show up one of those dreadful ass Raws in 08-09. Or making just ONE appearance to give back to the company in 7 years like Austin was doing at least a few times a year. Yeah he's back now and he's given more than anyone thought possible, hell he's wrestled again, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a period where he SOLD OUT big time. You don't ever see me bringing it up though, because as long as he's good which he is, I don't care what he did in the past. Cena's been one of the most dreadful pieces of shit characters in history for the past 6+ years however if he came out next week with some epic new entertaining character, I'd definitely give him props.

I also lol big time at the people who always said each and every year (ON THIS FORUM, you know who you are) blah blah Taker's too injured, don't know how he'll work this match, oh no his hip. Then he delivers each and every time with just as much athleticism and ability or more than the last like I said he would. Hell, this past year was the ONLY year I have ever seen him seem slower than the prior (Punk match was pretty awful too) but the match didn't call for it so it was ok.

Rell

Reaction score
I do agree with Great One's point that grouping an entire community together as one is pointless as personal opinions will always vary no matter what.

it only makes sense when there's an overwhelming majority of fans sharing the same sentiments. John Cena sucking, for example...

...god...

Reaction score
I personally haven't seen people say Y2J is only here for a paycheck, maybe only a COUPLE at most. But shit, that's always gonna happen. There's also forums which are really pro-CM Punk then you'll find one where everyone hates him and says he's overrated, etc.

Reaction score
Jericho is played out. Come back, attack someone. Lose. Repeat. "I'm the best in the world at what I do." Beat down. Lose. You know, I would never have thought this, but Jericho can GTFO. Go back to playing a lead man in a terrible band. Let Bryan make his face turn after a really awesome tag run between he and Jericho. Jerishow it and have Bryan go over super hard on Jericho. And Jericho can fade away again as no one notices and people will await his return so he can come back, say he's the best in the world, beat some one down, lose and show how he has regressed and is fairly sloppy in the ring.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
^That. After he lost at OTL, it's evident that he's done. Jericho makes these huge super climatic returns and loses all of his high profile matches. He's been lacking all around though. He hasn't performed nearly as good as he did in his last WWE run, and even on the mic, I don't feel the same magic that usually radiates off of him. Really, no one has been talking about Jericho and I think he's just putting words in the mouthes of his labeled "community".

Reaction score
Here's what's different about Jericho this go about; he's the same. When he came into the WWE originally he was a little more eccentric version of his WCW heel persona, then he turned into a MAJOR face, had the E put the belt on him that night they Dusty-finished that Raw match, he might really be on that level that he really thinks he's at; i.e a Trips, Cena or Foley. He's a third tier star but that's not bad and not totally his fault, had the E pulled the gun, he could have been easily as over as Rock. Go track that match down, listen to that pop, that's as loud as any Rocky pop.

Then they put the belt on him, in the biggest way you can put someone over (doesn't matter how it was booked, he went over 2 of the 3 biggest draws of the past 25 years TWICE each in 2 months) then they totally buried him under the garbage return of Triple H and Steph. The really stick it to him was the fact that not that he got squashed by Trips, but they hotshotted the belt off of Trips a month later for a nostalgic Hogan run that was really the beginning of the end of the E's prime. And by the time Jericho left in 05, it was time, he was played out and ineffectual at that time, he had to go.

When he came back he evolved into this awesome fucking heel. Just brilliant and HBK put him over HARD. Then he beat that character to the fucking ground. And by the time he left, he was, again, an ineffectual jobber to the stars. He had to go.

He comes back and is somewhat exciting for a few weeks not talking. Comes back, loses the Rumble, beats Punk down, loses, beats him down again, loses. Now he's next in line to lay down for Orton. Only thing is, he's ineffectual and played out only 6 months into his return. Same character, just noticeably sloppier in the ring.

Jericho needs these breaks more than anyone can imagine, it's what keeps him relevant. There really is no difference between Kane and Jericho, except Kane scored victories over Cena and Orton.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
I always thought Jericho's best run was his '03-'05 run starting with his awesome WM19 match against HBK, and ending in his One Night Stand match with Lance Storm. After that he turned heel again and it was time to go when he did.

I thought his ring work over the last year or so of his last run was really weak, and especially this last 6 months. Him wrestling Punk did him no favors, and I thought he did really well in the 4-Way at OTL. Working with Orton won't be any better than with Punk, and his character still is yawn-worthy. I don't think he needs to go, just get the dick out of his ass and freshen his character up, probably turn. He got huge face reactions during his first month, then they fucked it up with him being a stereotype again. Plus he should mix it up with working with someone who isn't as stale as he is. (Basically, anyone besides Orton. Jeeze that has to be a rib on those two.)