An Essay for The Love, Dispelling the HBK Myth - Warning Long Essay a head

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's all about drawing power not workrate. HBK wasn't much of a draw during his title runs in 95, 96, and 97. Which was when he was the focal point of the company, reality check needed when discussing HBK. Because he was a heluva hand after his comeback, but seriously, as a main draw..........not really.

Also, Puroresu and Luchadores never drew outside of their territory. So that means they don't mean shit, Flair drew across territories. Bert Hart drew all over the world, Hogan drew all over the world, Inoki drew all over the world. Baba, Misawa didn't draw outside of Japan. Santo and Mascaras didn't draw outside of their territory.

Ranking Pro-wrestlers is always a biased system, which is why you can't do it.

I liked who I liked, and thats all that matters to me, I don't need to tell people who I think is the greatest ever.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Some valid points here but believe you are far off on others. Will quickly touch on a few

Drawing Power
Won't disagree here before the injury Michaels did not draw well. The facts are there. I would argue DX and his comeback did draw pretty well though.

Vs Japan and Mexico
Completely different style but only Misawa and maybe Kobashi would be higher in ring for me. Impact would have Inoki, Santo and maybe a few more.

Selling
He could be over the top obviously, but people were entertained by it.

Carrying
This is where I will finish this. I do not believe in carrying a guy to a good match. Clearly a Flair, Steamboat, or Misawa type will make a guy look better when they face him but one guy a match does not make. The other guy has to have some talent and definitely work hard or the match will suck. This is why I don't understand Cena hate but that's another story.

My list is in the top 50 thread and I think I have Shawn at 8. I can see about 25 of the guys you listed getting an argument but my top 50 had nothing to do with Drawing it was whose matches I enjoy the most. So guys like Rhodes and Baba have no business in that.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
Shawn had the ability to make a person care about every feud he was in. Espcially over the last few years of his career. He has this special ambiance surrounding his work, no matter who it was with... he truly left it all in the ring. His matches with Cena, especially at Wrestlemania. Triple H in the early 00's. Chris Jericho, Angle, Undertaker, Randy Orton... hell, even Chris Masters. I truly loved watching Shawn in the ring, and I'll never forget the man's career for giving me so much entertainment as a wrestling fan. That's why I consider him the best. He made every match count, and truly had a style that made me want to see more. Always.

Johnny Ace

Reaction score
Before you write another essay, make sure to take English 101 so I can understand your long OPs. j/k. Anyways, I think that during his career he was in the right place at the right time. He's gotten fired twice by Vince, and that right there tells you that he was not a kiss ass, unlike John Cena, Kofi Kingston, and The Big Show. He worked his way to the top just like everybody else, but he was just in the right place at the right time when given those pushes. How can you sit there and say the Mick Foley had better matches than HBK? Mick Foley specializes in hardcore matches, and you are right about Mick being a good wrestler though, every good technical wrestler has stated that being in the ring with Mick was a pleasure and that he was a really good worker. But he is not as good a HBK. Mick can't carry a match, but can go toe to toe with the best of them. Also that 60 minute ironman match was an excellent performance by both men, yeah during the middle of the match both men had to 'rest', but that doesn't mean he couldn't hang. Also, during his first reign as being the face of the company, it wouldn't of matter who you had as the champion, WCW had everything going for them, they were taking talent left and right from the WWE, WCW was giving away results of Monday Night Raw, WWE didn't have Austin or The Rock on there main roles yet, the WWE didn't have much going for them. I know it sounds like an Obama excuse but it's true. I have to disagree with your essay, even though it was very well thought out, it was completely one sided and it seemed to be written to bash HBK's legacy.