An Assessment of WWE NXT

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aniking

Reaction score

The first episode of NXT was witnessed on February 23rd, 2010 with the concept being that 8 Rookies taken from WWE's Developmental Territory (Florida Championship Wrestling) would each be paired with a WWE superstar (or "Pro") from either RAW or Smackdown. After certain periods of time, a Rookie would be eliminated until there was one remaining, and the remaining Rookie would be declared the winner of their respective NXT season. The prize for the season winner has mainly been a championship opportunity but also a RAW or Smackdown contract.

As NXT has progressed, we have witnessed many unique Rookies battle it out for a future championship opportunity and for a spot on RAW or Smackdown. Most of the Rookies, regardless of their final standing, have managed to land a spot on the main roster, some achieving highly and some not.

I thought I would take a look at how successful the "graduates" of past NXT seasons have been to see whether or not, in the long run, there is a point to the show. Although NXT has many negatives, like the stupid challenges, the success of the graduates could really be the difference maker.

Season 1

Wade Barrett w/Chris Jericho (8-5)
Achievements: 1x and current WWE Intercontinental Champion
Barrett was the winner of NXT1, earning himself a RAW contract and has arguably been the biggest success story in the history of NXT. Barrett was the mastermind behind the dominant Nexus era, he currently makes up 1/4 of The Corre and is the current WWE Intercontinental Champion. Currently, Barrett calls Smackdown home, but while a member of the RAW roster he was involved heavily in the WWE Championship picture. Although he has come under criticism for not selling moves in the ring, he is fantastic on the mic and can put on a decent match. Barrett has been touted as a future World Champion, and at 30 years of age it could be a possibility.

David Otunga w/R-Truth (6-5)
Achievements: 1x WWE Tag Team Champion (w/John Cena)
There hasn't been a lot to Otunga's career to date. His RAW contract came via the Nexus angle a few weeks after the Nexus' inception, although a RAW contract may have been inevitable considering his entertainment industry links. He isn't that impressive in the ring or on the mic, but he does have "the look". I don't see Otunga really amounting to anything when the Nexus finally ends, but to create media buzz the WWE might give him a run as United States Champion at some point.

Justin Gabriel w/Matt Hardy (7-4) & Heath Slater w/Christian (5-6)
Achievements: 3x and current WWE Tag Team Champions
Already being 3-time Tag Team Champions may look impressive, but really it has been far from it. Reign #1 came when Otunga was forced to lay down and lose the titles, reign #2 lasted a day before the team was beaten by John Cena & The Miz, and reign #3 was thanks to Miz screwing Cena and losing the titles. Although they are an impressive team, the way they have become champions has been far from it. Both Gabriel and Slater are former Nexus members and are currently a part of The Corre, so wherever one has gone the other has been right with them. They both have futures with the company as long as they work on their mic skills because, really, they both aren't very good on the mic. They both have potential, Gabriel more so than Slater, so hopefully they can be booked better as a tag team.

Darren Young w/CM Punk (7-4)
Achievements: None
Young was apart of the Nexus for 2 months before losing a match to John Cena, with the ultimatum that if he lost than he would be kicked out of the Nexus. Once this happened, Young amounted to nothing. He was rarely featured on RAW since being kicked out of the Nexus, eventually being relegated to WWE Superstars appearances where he had mixed fortunes. Young is no longer a member of the RAW roster, but has been given a second chance as he is a part of NXT Redemption.

Skip Sheffield w/William Regal (2-5)
Sheffield was building a big reputation for himself while a Nexus member, solidifying himself as the main muscle to the group. Unfortunately, Sheffield broke his ankle at a house event back in August and has since not been heard of. With Wrestlemania concluding, we may see Sheffield make his long awaited return, and apparently big things may be expected with none other than Vince McMahon backing him. Sheffield definitely has the look and isn't bad on the mic, so now we just have to wait and see what he can produce when he returns.

Daniel Bryan w/The Miz (0-10)
Achievements: 1x WWE United States Champion
Bryan's WWE career sort of died before it got started. As his NXT record shows, he lost every match he competed in and he was only a member of the Nexus for 4 days before being released from his contract. A couple of months later he would make a shock return at Summerslam, and this is where his WWE career actually began. Bryan would then feud with The Miz, becoming United States Champion in the process. Everybody knows what Daniel Bryan is capable of, it's up to the WWE whether or not they build him or bury him.

Michael Tarver w/Carlito (1-7)
Tarver wasn't very high in the Nexus pecking order at the time he sustained a calf injury in October, ultimately removing him as a Nexus member, but the main thing he had going for him was his gimmick. His mic skills are good, but I can't remember if he's any good in the ring or not. Earlier this year, Tarver was making cameo appearances on RAW and Smackdown, actually garnering some hype for his in-ring return, but it all amounted to absolutely nothing. He's in an awkward position as he is back in FCW and is probably the oldest superstar to compete in NXT, so his future is rocky.

Final Verdict
Has a future: Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater and Skip Sheffield
Safe: David Otunga and Darren Young (for now)
In trouble: Michael Tarver

Season 2

Kaval is no longer with the company, so he will be skipped

Michael McGillicutty w/Kofi Kingston (6-4)
The son of the legendary Mr Perfect has been a member of the Nexus since the end of October. He is a very good wrestler and is great on the mic, so I really hope his repackaging is a positive for him. I see rejoining the Nexus as a step back, but we'll see what happens with him.

Alex Riley w/The Miz (5-4)
Riley was actually the first NXT2 participant to appear on RAW or Smackdown after the season ended, appearing pretty much immediately as The Miz's right hand man. The Miz has since reached new heights with Riley assisting him, although getting his ass kicked numerous times. Riley is great in the ring and is fantastic on the mic, so hopefully being Miz's sidekick can put him on the path to a big future.

Husky Harris w/Cody Rhodes (4-4)
Another son of a WWE legend, Harris is under the same banner as McGillicutty. He has been a Nexus member since NXT2 ended but is currently being repackaged in FCW. This guy is very unique and is pretty athletic for a guy of his size. He is good in the ring and not bad on the mic, and the fact he's the youngest on the WWE roster is a huge plus. The good thing for him is he has a lot of time to develop.

Percy Watson w/MVP (3-4)
Considered the most athletic superstar on the FCW roster, Watson hasn't been seen on WWE television since the end of NXT2. The past few months, Watson has wrestled countless dark matches, beating the likes of Curt Hawkins, Tyson Kidd and even Drew McIntyre. It's only a matter of time before we see him on RAW or Smackdown, my guess being RAW since he's an entertaining and charismatic guy.

Lucky Cannon w/Mark Henry (3-5)
Cannon never really did anything to stand out, he was kind of bland in my eyes. Other than some decent mic and in ring skills, he just came across as boring to me. There wasn't a lot to his character other than his backstory of his near death experience or something along the lines, so I wasn't surprised to see him sent back to FCW. He has been given a second chance in season 5 on NXT Redemption.

Eli Cottonwood w/John Morrison (2-2)
There really isn't anything I have to say about Cottonwood other than the fact that he was painful to watch. Cottonwood is not good in the ring and not good on the mic, overall he is just boring. In my opinion he is probably the worst NXT Rookie in the show's history, which is proven by the fact he is the only one that was sent back to FCW and hasn't been recalled for NXT Redemption or to wrestle dark matches.

Titus O'Neil w/Zack Ryder (0-3)
O'Neil's size and look is pretty impressive, his mic skills are decent, but he wasn't that great in the ring and I feel that was his main downfall. The fact O'Neil was eliminated before Cottonwood and that he lost all three of his matches goes to show how unimpressive he was, which was a shame really. He has since been given a second chance as he's on NXT Redemption.

Final Verdict
Has a future: Michael McGillicutty, Alex Riley, Husky Harris and Percy Watson
Safe: Lucky Cannon and Titus O'Neil (both for now)
In trouble: Eli Cottonwood

Season 3

I didn't watch a single second of this season as it didn't interest me at all, so I really cannot judge anybody other than Kaitlyn.

Kaitlyn w/Vickie Guerrero (3-4)
Since NXT3 ended, Kaitlyn has hardly been featured on Smackdown. When she has been on Smackdown, she has shown that she isn't that great in the ring and that her looks are the only thing going for her. It's doing it for me because I would WRECK HER!

Season 4

Johnny Curtis w/R-Truth (3-7)
So Curtis was tipped as the favourite to win this season, but after a few weeks of NXT4 it looked as if that claim was wrong. Sure enough Curtis pulled it off and he now has a future tag team opportunity with R-Truth. Curtis hasn't been featued on WWE television since he won, but I'm sure we'll see him soon now that Wrestlemania is over. He's good in the ring and on the mic, so all we can do is wait and see what he can do.

Brodus Clay w/Ted DiBiase Jr & Maryse, then Alberto Del Rio & Ricardo Rodriguez (7-3)
Clay is considered the standout of NXT4 and was likely to be called up to the main roster as a result, which is why I think he didn't win. Since NXT4 ended, Clay has been Del Rio's right hand man and has more then held his own against Christian and Edge on a few occasions. Clay's partnership with Del Rio is similar to what Riley has with The Miz, although it's a pretty unique one at that. Clay isn't bad on the mic and is ok in the ring, but in my eyes he slows down his matches to the point where they get a bit boring. We'll see whether his alliance with Del Rio leads to something or if he's just going to be that bodyguard figure.

Derrick Bateman w/Daniel Bryan (3-6)
For a while, Bateman solidified himself as the front runner to win NXT4. His run at "the top" sizzled down for like 2 weeks and as a result he dropped to the bottom and was eliminated. Bateman is a very entertaining guy, managing to get a lot of fans on his side, which is something not many of the Rookies have managed to do. He is very good on the mic and is good in the ring, so I hope we see a lot of him in the future as I haven't heard anything about him since he got eliminated. The fact he isn't on NXT Redemption is an obvious plus for him.

Byron Saxton w/Chris Masters, then Dolph Ziggler & Vickie Guerrero (3-6)
Saxton has some great mic skills and is decent in the ring, but he didn't show enough on this season to impress backstage. He has been given a second chance on NXT Redemption.

Conor O'Brian w/Alberto Del Rio & Ricardo Rodriguez (3-1)
Although O'Brian attempted to get the fans on his side by labelling himself a rat and acting like a rat, it didn't work. If anything, I think it hurt him. He is actually good in the ring and is decent on the mic, but he didn't do anything to stand out. He has since been given another chance on NXT Redemption.

Jacob Novak w/Dolph Ziggler & Vickie Guerrero, then Chris Masters (1-2)
I don't see very much in Novak as he is average on the mic and in the ring. To me, Novak is pretty boring and he really doesn't have anything going for him. I consider Novak the second worst to come through NXT, obviously behind Cottonwood. Novak is being given a second chance as he's on NXT Redemption.

Final Verdict
Has a future: Johnny Curtis, Brodus Clay and Derrick Bateman
Safe: Byron Saxton and Conor O'Brian (both for now)
In trouble: Jacob Novak (safe for now)

Season 5

So far there have been 5 episodes of this season and we already have a few Rookies that are miles ahead of the pack. I thought I'd list them from first to last in my opinion:

Titus O'Neil w/Hornswoggle (4-0; 9 Redemption points)
O'Neil is the man that is leading the pack and he is dominating this season. Since NXT2, O'Neil has improved in the ring and is beginning to get the fans behind him. What helps him is who his pro is, although I thought he was immediately disadvantaged when he was given Hornswoggle, but it has been a blessing in disguise. When you compare his run in NXT2 to his progress now, the turnaround has been amazing. O'Neil is the clear front runner to advance to NXT6, no doubt about it.

Darren Young w/Chavo Guerrero (2-3; 7 Redemption points)
I was against Young being taken off the RAW roster and put into NXT Redemption as I felt it wasn't necessary, but when I noticed that Cottonwood was the only option left for the season... let's just say my mind changed quickly. Young managed to lead the competition the first 2 shows before being overtaken by O'Neil, but there's still a division between Young and the other 4 Rookies. Young has been impressive so far and I see him continuing it.

Lucky Cannon w/Tyson Kidd (2-2; 0 Redemption points)
Cannon is using his good looks to his advantage, changing his gimmick and his alignment for this season. Personally I like the new Lucky Cannon as he needed that element to stand out and I think he has found it. Since NXT2, Cannon has improved in the ring and I really think he needs to start competing in the challenges and attempt to win Redemption points. Refusing to compete is only hurting his cause as he'd rather further his gimmick, but that can be done by winning matches and points anyway. This little feud with Tatsu isn't doing much for him either in my opinion.

Conor O'Brian w/Vladimir Kozlov (2-1; 0 Redemption points)
O'Brian has immediately realised that acting like a rat held him back last season, so he has dropped the act. He has continued to do well in the ring but I think he needs to start getting himself some Redemption points if he's to keep up with the front runners. I think he's making more of an effort this season than last, probably realising this could be his final chance.

Byron Saxton w/Yoshi Tatsu (1-2; 4 Redemption points)
Although Saxton has won Redemption points, it was only because O'Neil made a blunder and handed them to him. So far Saxton hasn't changed anything about his approach since last season, rather focusing on his obviously blooming t-shirt sales. Seriously, every week he comes out with a new witty shirt, but that's not going to get him into NXT6.

Jacob Novak w/JTG (0-3; 0 Redemption points)
I'm not surprised to see Novak at the bottom of the pile, staring elimination in the face. The only thing he has changed is his ring gear, still staying the same average guy. I'm not sure if the first elimination episode is this week, but if it is then Novak will be the one going. I just don't see him making any improvements that could help him salvage a spot in the final 5.

Verdict
In the lead: Titus O'Neil and Darren Young
Mid-table: Lucky Cannon, Conor O'Brian and Byron Saxton
First eliminated: Jacob Novak

Season 6

Now the Rookies that were supposed to be involved in NXT5 (before the Redemption idea was thought up) are apparently considered better than those that were apart of NXT4. On that merit, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the talent that will be on offer for this season, and I thought I'd take a guess at who the other 5 Rookies will be:

Bo Rotundo: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/borotundo1.html
Son of I.R.S, younger brother of Husky Harris, 1x FCW Heavyweight Champ and 1x FCW Tag Team Champ

Richie Steamboat: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/richiesteamboat1.html
Son of Ricky Steamboat, current FCW Tag Team Champ

Seth Rollins: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/sethrollins1.html
Mainly known as Tyler Black, current FCW Tag Team Champ and FCW 15 Champ (whatever that is)

Wes Brisco: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/wesbrisco1.html
Son of Jerry Briscoe, nephew of Jack Briscoe, 1x FCW Tag Team Champ

Xavier Woods: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/xavierwoods1.html
Mainly known as Consequences Creed, 1x FCW Tag Team Champ

Other possibilities:

Brett DiBiase: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/brettdibiase1.html
Son of Ted DiBiase Sr, younger brother of Ted DiBiase Jr, 1x FCW Tag Team Champ

Damien Sandow: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/damiensandow1.html
Formerly known in WWE as Aaron "Idol" Stevens, 1x FCW Tag Team Champ

NXT was quite original for the first season, but since then it hasn't changed a lot. I think that if you look past the unoriginality and the challenges that have nothing to do with wrestling, it's actually doing a pretty good job. The behind the scenes job that NXT does is to show that FCW is doing it's job in developing future WWE superstars, but also to give those superstars an opportunity to shine or flop before actually being elevated to the main roster. The majority of NXT Rookies have shone, but some haven't done enough to stand out, but it's better off being done on NXT than taking up a spot on the main roster, only to waste it.

I think if we just ignore the unoriginality and some silly challenges, it's a worthwhile show. Personally, I give it a pass.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Fantastic review Aniking.

It is great that you gave detailed wrap-ups of each NXT participant for every season.

Just looking at the roster list for the first two seasons it shows that the show can produce talent that can succeed on the main roster if booked right. From season three onwards the quality has dropped and that is due to the fact that the best sixteen singles wrestlers in FCW were used for those seasons and after that they are starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel. Brodus Clay has obviously beem the standout from his season but other than him no-one has done anything not even the winner of that season! I would have thought that Curtis would have started following Truth around like Riley did.

If they use those guys for season six it could reinvigorate the show since that is a great group of wrestlers. That wrestler list or a season with tag teams could help revive the brand.

Overall though the season is just too gimmicky and I can't wait for the international deals to expire so that WWE can cancel the show. The guys that have talent in FCW will still make it to the main roster even without NXT. They can just debut with traditional methods rather than trying to win a fake show.