AJ Burnett traded to the Pirates

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Giving in enough to make the deal happen, but not enough to feel uncomfortable about it, the Pirates on Friday caught up with the veteran right arm they have chased for nearly a month.

Pittsburgh reeled in A.J. Burnett from the New York Yankees in exchange for outfielder Exicardo Cayones and right-handed reliever Diego Moreno. The penultimate act of the saga will be the approval of Commissioner Bud Selig, who has to sign off on the deal because it includes $20 million from the Bombers.

In other words, the Pirates absorbed $13 million of the two years and $33 million remaining on Burnett's contract. The annual commitment is considerably below the $10 million one-year offers the Bucs had made to a pair of free agents, Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt.

The deal's ultimate act is expected to come Sunday, when Burnett takes his physical -- while his new teammates are going through the first workout for pitchers and catchers. Only then will there be a formal conclusion to a rumored deal that has had a longer run than some TV series.

For raising their share of Burnett's contract from their starting point of $10 million, the Pirates were able to make the deal for the two lower-level prospects who between them have a total of 14 games of experience above Class A.

Moreno and Cayones, both Venezuelans, were still in the lower Minors in 2011 after several years in the Pirates organization.

Moreno, signed as a 19-year-old in 2006, spent most of last season with Class A Bradenton before appearing in seven games with Double-A Altoona. A reliever with a power arm, the righty is coming off an impressive stint in the Venezuelan Winter League, where he had a 3.05 ERA in 17 appearances.

Cayones was signed as a 16-year-old in 2008, and last season batted .228 between the short-season State College Spikes (New York-Penn League) and the Gulf Coast (Rookie League) Pirates.

Soon after his physical, the 35-year-old right-hander will begin trying to fit into the maturing Pirates rotation. Two years after having no starters in their 30s, the Pirates will have three: Kevin Correia, 31; Erik Bedard, 32; and Burnett.

The Bucs already have three other incumbent starters -- Charlie Morton, who is returning from October hip surgery but fully expects to take the ball on Opening Day, James McDonald and Jeff Karstens.

Finding himself in an overcrowded rotation will be an ironic quandary for Burnett.

He landed on the trade market on Jan. 13, after the Yankees dealt for Michael Pineda and signed free agent Hiroki Kuroda on the same day. With CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, Phil Hughes and Burnett, those deals left the Yankees with seven potential starters.

Hopefully he can turn his career around and give the Pirates a boost in the rotation. I highly doubt it considering his age, but it is a possibility. He could at least mentor the younger guys there.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I feel bad for the Pirates, nothing ever seems to work out right for them. Burnett's a piece of crap, he was in Toronto and he was in New York, so I don't see him being any different in Pittsburgh.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I don't see him hurting the Pirates unless he comes in acting like a Diva because he came from the Yankees. He will be a much needed upgrade to the Bullpen and since he does have a couple of world series titles I actually see him be a good vetern presence for them. I just hope Alcarez starts to hit like we know he can and take the number 4 spot in the batting order. The batters is where they were hurting last year.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I don't see him hurting the Pirates unless he comes in acting like a Diva because he came from the Yankees. He will be a much needed upgrade to the Bullpen and since he does have a couple of world series titles I actually see him be a good vetern presence for them. I just hope Alcarez starts to hit like we know he can and take the number 4 spot in the batting order. The batters is where they were hurting last year.

Let's put it this way, he acted like a diva on the Blue Jays before he even went to the Yankees. How bad do you think its going to be this time?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I think Hurdle will put him in his place. You know what I mean. He will man whore bitch slap his ass. I understand though. I am surprised that the Pirates were not on his no trade teams. Which I think they are on about 90% of all players no trade list.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I think Hurdle will put him in his place. You know what I mean. He will man whore bitch slap his ass. I understand though. I am surprised that the Pirates were not on his no trade teams. Which I think they are on about 90% of all players no trade list.

Amazingly enough he only had West Coast teams like the Angels in his no-trade. Why the hell wouldn't you want to play on the West Coast (outside of Seattle of course)?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
It makes no sense at all considering the Angels were trying for him and he could have played with the man Albert Pujols instead of trying to Pitch at him.

More on a Pirates note. Which team in that division will stand out now that both the Cards and the Brewers lost key pieces to their teams? The Reds?

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The Cubs, sir, the Cubs.

And really this move is full of win for the Pirates. They are really in a win-win situation with getting him. They only have to pay him $6.5 million a year and if he doesn't work out they can cut his ass and not lose very much. If he wins 12-15 games in the starting position then they have made out tremendously. And as PE said, Clint Hurdle will put him in his place if he acts like a diva.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
He really is a dumb motherfucker...as Pork said...why turn down going to the Angels?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'll bet he didn't want to go to the Angels because he wouldn't be the center of attention there...the egotistical prick.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Actually he turned them down because of his wife. She is afraid to fly. Can't hate on him for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk