AEW Collision/WBD upfronts MegaThread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Criticize his booking if you want, but no one can deny this man’s ability to negotiate.

It took TNA 5 years to get on tv and it was a terrible Saturday one-hour at 11 pm slot.

Tony now has two prime time slots and one one hour 10 pm slot and gets the bag on PPV.
he also didn't burn his bridges by shopping ROH outside of Warner, which at this stage in the game, is very smart imo even if it means less revenue short term. they are not in a position like WWE is where they have decades of content and arent the industry leader. so keeping a good relationship with Warner seems wise to me

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I am more worried about UFC and WWE trying to stick as many events on saturdays now lol
UFC always does and yeah, WWE been moving that way.

So Tony might have eat some weeks or get Warner to move those weeks.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I am more worried about UFC and WWE trying to stick as many events on saturdays now lol

UFC already runs every single event on a Saturday and almost every week. WWE was already moving to Saturday too so I don't even think it'd be a counter programming move, they're already doing it prior. But it will be a lot of competition. With UFC, the main card will always start after this show ends though. We'll for PPVs, it will be against main card fight nights 3 weeks out of the month, those aren't always on TV tho, sometimes just ESPN+

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
he also didn't burn his bridges by shopping ROH outside of Warner, which at this stage in the game, is very smart imo even if it means less revenue short term. they are not in a position like WWE is where they have decades of content and arent the industry leader. so keeping a good relationship with Warner seems wise to me
I said this when I defended the Honor Club tv show.

ROH being on cable wasn’t worth burning the relationship he has with Warner and I’ll be honest, I’m not sure anyone else would be as right of a fit for AEW or even want them as much and because he protected this relationship, he’s still making deals.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
UFC already runs every single event on a Saturday and almost every week. WWE was already moving to Saturday too so I don't even think it'd be a counter programming move, they're already doing it prior. But it will be a lot of competition. With UFC, the main card will always start after this show ends though. We'll for PPVs, it will be against main card fight nights 3 weeks out of the month, those aren't always on TV tho, sometimes just ESPN+
good to know. yeah I figured for UFC PPVS most ppl dont give a fuck until 10pm lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I said this when I defended the Honor Club tv show.

ROH being on cable wasn’t worth burning the relationship he has with Warner and I’ll be honest, I’m not sure anyone else would be as right of a fit for AEW or even want them as much and because he protected this relationship, he’s still making deals.
hot take: as a fan, if u have the spare moneys, non televised wrestling is amazing for match quality. the only thing thats less good than tv is the crowd is less hot. but let us be real. these roh crowds sounds like packed stadiums compared to tv crowdds roh was getting for the last 10 years anyways. this is still a massive upgrade in every way to me lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
good to know. yeah I figured for UFC PPVS most ppl dont give a fuck until 10pm lol

PPV prelims are usually televised on ESPN or ESPN2 tho, they'd be up against those and they usually do good numbers. I think the MMA/Wrestling crossover is less than it has been in the past tho, but all sports can hurt wrestling we've seen. I imagine a lot of thinkpieces written about the Saturday ratings are coming but I think it only matters if WBD is satisfied

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
PPV prelims are usually televised on ESPN or ESPN2 tho, they'd be up against those and they usually do good numbers. I think the MMA/Wrestling crossover is less than it has been in the past tho, but all sports can hurt wrestling we've seen. I imagine a lot of thinkpieces written about the Saturday ratings are coming but I think it only matters if WBD is satisfied
if WBD doesnt have live events on Saturdays already, probably happy to just get their foot in the door as opposed to getting...well nothing

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
if WBD doesnt have live events on Saturdays already, probably happy to just get their foot in the door as opposed to getting...well nothing

I don't THINK they have regular season NBA or NHL on Saturdays only playoffs if it lands on that day but I'm not 100% sure bc even when I put on NBA games I never pay attention to what channel it's on bc YouTube TV just recommends the game on my front page when I open it lmao

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Thinking about it more I almost feel like having the show on Sunday would be a better move for AEW. *shrugs* Especially with Saturday becoming more and more common place for PLEs. Yes they'd get killed during the NFL season. So yeah I really don't know. Fuck it, take the Tuesday slot. START THE WAR!

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Thinking about it more I almost feel like having the show on Sunday would be a better move for AEW. *shrugs* Especially with Saturday becoming more and more common place for PLEs. Yes they'd get killed during the NFL season. So yeah I really don't know. Fuck it, take the Tuesday slot. START THE WAR!
look at this way. You either have some sweet wrestling to watch saturday night, or something awesome to watch when you wake up Sunday morning and bored

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
look at this way. You either have some sweet wrestling to watch saturday night, or something awesome to watch when you wake up Sunday morning and bored
I work Sunday mornings. :(

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Zarian also said on Mat Men today that he expects the announcement on or around May 17 btw, something to do with TV schedules then. Doesn't know if WBD or Tony would be the one announcing

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler