2012 Will Define Cody, And Can He Connect?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chadillac

Reaction score
John McHenry:

You dont get it. You just dont get it. No, the same can't be said for evrybody else. I wont even argue that with you B/C if you cant understand how cody could end up HW champ, and be that public face for the WWE... Nevermind. Marketing is lost on you.

And I did NOT randomly throw Orton is there, I mentioned him in my OP. You see, thats the problem.

You don't read the OP, you just pick out one sentence. Forget about the rest, i'ts not like context matters...

Either you get it, or you don't.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Chad25, I posted in this thread earlier and I'm a Cody Rhodes fan but your signature is pretty gay. I must say.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Marketing? So if I went to School for marketing right now they would be pushing the idea that every company should have a face like Cody Rhodes at the top. That is some awesome logic.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Marketing? So if I went to School for marketing right now they would be pushing the idea that every company should have a face like Cody Rhodes at the top. That is some awesome logic.

Yes, that is correct. Once his push is complete, and he is WHC, you have the added benifit that his style and look has hollywood writen all over it. The Rock and Orton had the same quality.

If you put Punk or Bryan on any of the late night shows, infront of an audience who largely would not watch WWE, their preception of the WWE would not change, and most would look at them as just "rasslers".

However, if you put WHC Cody on the late night shows, to promote WM, they would be more inclined to listen to the star himself, than view him purley in the context of fake wrestling.

My life is politics. What is politics? it's pure marketing. If you think any different, you must be a low information voter.

I understand that it's more than just the message. It's the messenger that matters most.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yes, that is correct. Once his push is complete, and he is WHC, you have the added benifit that his style and look has hollywood writen all over it. The Rock and Orton had the same quality.

How does his look have Hollywood all over it?

He's an ugly, skinny, regular looking guy with no spark about him at all. I couldn't think of a worse description than Hollywood for him.....

If you put Punk or Bryan on any of the late night shows, infront of an audience who largely would not watch WWE, their preception of the WWE would not change, and most would look at them as just "rasslers".

However, if you put WHC Cody on the late night shows, to promote WM, they would be more inclined to listen to the star himself, than view him purley in the context of fake wrestling.

He talks like Robocop. I couldn't think of a more terrible choice to shill the WWE. The watching audience would think "if the WWE is as boring as this guy, fuck watching that shit". The Miz, Cena, Sheamus, etc are all way better media shills.

My life is politics. What is politics? it's pure marketing. If you think any different, you must be a low information voter.

I understand that it's more than just the message. It's the messenger that matters most.

That made as much sense as the typical Ultimate Warrior promo, but bottom line is you are greaty exaggerating Cody's potential.

Could he be a World champ? Yes.
Can he ever be face of a company? No, unless you want that companys stock to fall tenfold.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
How does his look have Hollywood all over it?

He's an ugly, skinny, regular looking guy with no spark about him at all. I couldn't think of a worse description than Hollywood for him.....

He talks like Robocop. I couldn't think of a more terrible choice to shill the WWE. The watching audience would think "if the WWE is as boring as this guy, fuck watching that shit". The Miz, Cena, Sheamus, etc are all way better media shills.

That made as much sense as the typical Ultimate Warrior promo, but bottom line is you are greaty exaggerating Cody's potential.

Could he be a World champ? Yes.
Can he ever be face of a company? No, unless you want that companys stock to fall tenfold.

Although I think some of your points are wrong, I agree with some things... He will never be the face of the company.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
The one thing I have to say in defense of Cody is the fact he's only 26. A lot of people are writing him off completely when it's clear judging by the level he's at, at such a young age, he'll be somewhere high in the future.

Chadillac

Reaction score
I don't mean the face of the WWE as it's main guy, like Cena. I am totally with you on that. As you saw in my OP, I clrearly stated that he has a "connection" problem. But that is with the WWE audience. And he will have to do what the Rock and Orton did to get viewed as "cool". That's the only way a "face" run could ever work for him. People really don't want to boo him either. That's the problem.

Not to many people can pull a Rock or HHH, and have awesome heel runs, and then explosive face runs.

Cody has this year to get it right. Either his push continues on/above pace, or he fails to make the "connection". One results in a 5 or 6 month WHC reign, and a move to Raw for a championship reign their. The other results in others taking his place.

This is not in dispute. But what also should not be in dispute, is the fact that having exceptional "GQ" looks will sell WWE product better to a larger "Non" WWE public. It's an added benifit.

And PR tours are not about selling your WWE character.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The one thing I have to say in defense of Cody is the fact he's only 26. A lot of people are writing him off completely when it's clear judging by the level he's at, at such a young age, he'll be somewhere high in the future.

I'm only writing him off by Chad25's bullet points. Charisma, Looks, Wrestling skill. By that standard most of the WWE could be "the face of the company"

It's already evident that at least at first they didn't think so. Hell one of his gimmicks was hiding his face. Also if he's "hollywood" material why hasn't he been in a single WWE film?

Your points are wrong. You've obviously realized this as you have changed your point multiple times now. If I were Cody Rhodes I'd be afraid of a fan like you I think you have issues.

I also never said he couldnt be WHC

Last edited:

Chadillac

Reaction score
John McHenry:

I have never changed my points. I have had to change the way in which I explain them. You kow why? B/C you start taking everything I say, twisting it into something I never meant, and just for good measures, adding your own version of what I'm saying.

You have issues, not me.

What do you come here for? CM Punk ass kissing? Is that what would make me "Normal"?

You have some chip on your shoulder that makes you see things I am not saying.

Maybe you are not capable of understanding.

Either way you need to calm down. Wipe the "chip" off your shoulder. Or ask me to explain something that I have writen, if you do not understand.

Debate is fine. Keep it there. I'm sure the communication has been broken down somewhere, and I can fix that for you right now.

Words like "will", "Could" and "potential" are not words that are describing what is happening now, they are used to create a context of future tense.

Now that the communication problem is fixed, your understanding should improve.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only writing him off by Chad25's bullet points. Charisma, Looks, Wrestling skill. By that standard most of the WWE could be "the face of the company"

It's already evident that at least at first they didn't think so. Hell one of his gimmicks was hiding his face. Also if he's "hollywood" material why hasn't he been in a single WWE film?

Your points are wrong. You've obviously realized this as you have changed your point multiple times now. If I were Cody Rhodes I'd be afraid of a fan like you I think you have issues.

I also never said he couldnt be WHC
My points? Or Chads?

Chadillac

Reaction score
My points? Or Chads?

He was talking to me, i'm pretty sure. I have already addressed him in the post Above/Below depending on your thread set up.

Im not disagreeing with you my dude

I just think we are not communicating very well.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
My points? Or Chads?

chads your points are valid I was only siting that I disagree with chads points

Also Chad

Not quite sure what makes you think I'm a CM Punk mark. He's good at what he does face of the company I think that'd be a stretch for him. As far as me thinking you changed your points I guess what I mean is your "clarifying" seems more like changing what your saying.

Boils down

Rhodes has potential to be a future WHC. Does he have the potential to be the guy that carries the company on his back? No.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
The role I could see Rhodes taking is the Orton role. He wouldn't be at all able to carry RAW but would do a decentish job on top of Smackdown as their Champion for a few months.

Chadillac

Reaction score
I just do not understand this. Everybody downplays Cody by judging him with the likes of Orton, Cena, and Punk. Is he a draw like any of those men? No. But there is nobody close to his level in the mid card. In fact, he is the ENTIRE upper mid card. Cody has been the greatest IC champ since Jericho in 2000. And how you carry the IC belt, has always been a prelude to how you would carry the WHC. And Just B/C the WWE is pushing Barret, doesn't mean that in the long run, Cody won't surpass him. I think he will.

Barret is being pushed B/C he is 6'5" and great on the mic, and a great heel. But he needs to work on his body.

Jim Ross even stated that if the WWE doesnt make Cody champ in 2012, he should quitt. That is very strong support and I can't immagine him making that statement unless there was very strong support for Cody amongst the rank and file.

Remember, Punk wasn't thought of very highly amongst the brass untill the middle of last year.

Cody has the approval at the age of 26.