2012 Will Define Cody, And Can He Connect?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chadillac

Reaction score
I want to check the boxes on his skill list.

very technical, agressive, and athletic in the ring.

He has a very modern style look. It's closer to Justin Beiber than a traditional "rassler".

6'2" 215lbs is HW material, but not so big that you say, "Seen that before... (Mason Ryan)"

Acting skills are perfect and his mic work shows how comfortable he is under pressure.

He is charismatic in every promo.

And the most important indicator is how he has carried the IC belt. That shows a model to how he would carry the HW belt.

And when it comes down to it, the WWE would benifit greatly with him as the face of the company for the larger public to see. Like all the Late Night and News shows that WWE uses to promote WM.

But their is one potential killer. Most of those things that make him great, could also kill him. Can he make a real connection with the crowd that causes them to care about him? HHH was the master at this. I dont think fans can relate to him. He has the same problem Rock and Orton had early.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Cody Rhodes gets a good reaction from the crowd and even gets a fair amount of cheers as a heel, he connects well with the audience, he uses his facial expressions to help sell what he has to say and seems to be much more comfortable now than he used to be back during his stuttering days of Legacy. Tbh, I also couldn't take him serious before when he didn't wear knee-pads. :lmao

He's good on the mic and has most definitely improved, his delivery is solid, he continuously puts over how important it is being the Intercontinental Champion and is actually bringing back prestige to the championship and putting on great storylines and matches, he generates heat from the crowds wherever he goes, he does his emotions well, can be intense when he wants to be and most of the fans want to see someone kick his ass especially since what he has done with Booker T and his brother Goldust lately, it has helped him greatly working with them. All in all, I don't think any reasonable person can expect anything more out of a heel champion on the microphone.

With that being said, he's one of the top midcard mic-workers in the entire WWE and indeed does remind me of the younger Randy Orton but look at where Randy is at now? Cody Rhodes will definitely be one of WWEs biggest stars someday.

I want Cody Rhodes as WHC at least sometime this year, how many months is he at with the IC Title? If I was WWE, I'd get him to break HTMs record.

MiAMiHEAT

Reaction score
The ball is in his court, he just needs to keep running with it. Doing fine right now, and has been since he's went singles. Cody's definetely a Keep Your Eye on Guy this year. I'm not 100% sure if he can step up the ranks in to World Title contention with his current shtick, I'd rather see him turn babyface for that, but who knows. They may just try anyway and give him that push. I think we'll see his next big move post-Wrestlemania/summertime.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I can guarantee that Cody Rhodes will be a real star one day. Pretty much anyone who's commented on Cody within the last 2 years believe that he has all the tools and potential. Same thing with Wade.

But as for whether Rhodes will ever be at the level where he can have a solid connection with the fans like, say, The Miz? Cody has flawlessly portrayed every gimmick he's been given since he went solo, his characters have been 100% believable imo. He's the kind of person who can make gold out of thin air, someone creative and likeable. I have no doubt that Cody Rhodes can build a solid connection with the fans if given the platform, as a villian or a face.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I could make threads like this about Drew McIntyre and if I did that 2 years ago it would sound just as legit as this.

Half your reasons could explain most rising midcarders in WWE. I'm sure glad you brought up how tall he is again and to tell me even wrestlers who don't wrestle like cruiserweights as long as they look like Cody Rhodes they can main event. Nice job comparing him to Mason Ryan because we've never seen a wrestler like Cody Rhodes before. He's just so special. Now, I am a fan of Cody Rhodes I just don't see what you see in him and these reasonings are just making it look like you are grasping for anything that will make people believe this shit.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Acting skills are perfect and his mic work shows how comfortable he is under pressure.

He is charismatic in every promo.

Couldn't disagree more.

He's one of the blandest talkers in the game today.

That paranoid narcissist thing he had going on early last year was great, but without a clearly defined character he's very boring.

Chadillac

Reaction score
KeepingItFresh:

By weight standards he is a HW. 215lbs is not a cruiser weight. And yes, height matters a lot when it comes to the optics. It is why the under 6 foot crowd has a hard time getting over as main eventers.

Yes there are exceptions, so don't bring them up because they themselves would tell you it's much harder to gain and keep their status.

If Punk ever came out with out his 3 inch lifts, the optics of him being 5'9" would make it harder for people to buy into his HW status. And at 195lbs, when you see him in person like I have several times, it's a shock at how small he is. But that doesn't mean he isn't the MOST over superstar. His tallent got him there.

And You ask what I see in Cody? Well according to Jim Ross, if the WWE doesn't make him HW champ in 2012, he should quit. That is a direct quote.

Cody is the best choice for a public face to the company since The Rock. Guys like him make the larger public look past the stigma of wrestling. That is key for promoting in the news media.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
In wrestling it's 230lbs. That's the weight limit for the Crusierweight titles, usually.

Thoughts on Daniel Bryan making Cody Rhodes' IC Title matter when he's even smaller than Punk?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Cody is the best choice for a public face to the company since The Rock. Guys like him make the larger public look past the stigma of wrestling. That is key for promoting in the news media.
Not sure if you're being serious, a troll or just a total mark. Can you please explain why he is the best choice as a public face to the company since The Rock? Cody should never be used in the same sentence as The Rock ever again as other than actual wrestling talent, he doesn't have a shade on Rocky.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For a minute I thought this was a legit thread and then you went and fucked it all up with that last reply (and some of the stuff you said in the first post actually). Cody is a talented young guy as far as what he can do in the ring and does well with the character he was given but Cork nailed it when he said without a defined character the guy is very boring as we have seen. So just based on that alone to make the insane post of mentioning him in the same breath as The Rock let alone as someone to be the best face of the company since the Rock which means you're saying he'd be a better face of the company than John fucking Cena you can't be serious and just trying to be funny. if you truly believe that then I don't know what to say.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
[video=youtube;ieziU5gNO6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieziU5gNO6w[/video]

Cody has those extra tall-ums as well.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
KeepingItFresh:

By weight standards he is a HW. 215lbs is not a cruiser weight. And yes, height matters a lot when it comes to the optics. It is why the under 6 foot crowd has a hard time getting over as main eventers.

Yes there are exceptions, so don't bring them up because they themselves would tell you it's much harder to gain and keep their status.

If Punk ever came out with out his 3 inch lifts, the optics of him being 5'9" would make it harder for people to buy into his HW status. And at 195lbs, when you see him in person like I have several times, it's a shock at how small he is. But that doesn't mean he isn't the MOST over superstar. His tallent got him there.

And You ask what I see in Cody? Well according to Jim Ross, if the WWE doesn't make him HW champ in 2012, he should quit. That is a direct quote.

I'll just go ahead and ignore the underlined.

But how do you justify the last statement it's based on absolutely no merit. He doesn't make the public look past anything cause the general public doesn't know who the hell he is. In fact the only person the general public know about of this era is probably john cena and thats about it. Maybe HHH cause of all his walmart dvds But cody has done nothing special to get over with the "public"

Reactions: 1 person

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I would say Cody is probably better in ring than The Rock (I've always found him overrated), but honestly that's where it stops. As much of a Cody mark I am, I'm also a sensible mark and there's no way that Cody Rhodes will ever be on the same level as The Rock, even if Rock is worse in ring than Cody, the excitement and electricity will always surround Rock's matches whereas the same cannot be said for Cody, and promo wise although I think Cody is great he can't really draw the same reaction as The Rock and constantly connect with the fans. Come on now Chad25 be serious for a minute even if you are a fan of someone you can't go making extreme statements like that.

I do think Cody will one day be at WHC level, but I don't see him being the main face of the company. That role has The Miz's name all over it and he has the personal charisma to take the role and just run with it. Honestly, Cody doesn't need to do all of that stuff, he is doing well at the moment making the IC Title prestigius once more and I think a slow push is best for him rather than a rushed push. I wouldn't say 2012 will define him because I think 2011 was a defining period in seeing whether he was good enough to take the IC title to better levels as well as being up there in some main events.

Oh, one more thing, Cody is only 26, he has plenty of time to build and improve, from the level he's on now I do see him getting better and I look forward to it.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Look, there was a lot of "Dog Whistle" coded in my OP. But it got lost in translation some where. So I will be very blunt this time.

This was all writen as an analysis of his potential, and not what is going on at the moment. Yes I checked the boxes on his current skill list, and opined on his current IC reign, but the actual thesis was predicated on future potential.

Now the "Dog whistle" that was going on should be obvious. I mentioned him having the same problems as Rock and Orton early on in their careers, and the disconnect they initially had with the audience.

This will catch tons of heat but here is the truth. When your face looks like it belongs in "GQ" magazine, and you have the total package regarding looks, with a bright white veneer smile, people don't connect with you. They don't want to cheer you, and their not booing for your "character". Rock and Orton both had to overcome that by giving people a reason to view them "cool". And well dressed, great looking people sell in the media. SORRY...

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Look, there was a lot of "Dog Whistle" coded in my OP. But it got lost in translation some where. So I will be very blunt this time.

This was all writen as an analysis of his potential, and not what is going on at the moment. Yes I checked the boxes on his current skill list, and opined on his current IC reign, but the actual thesis was predicated on future potential.

Now the "Dog whistle" that was going on should be obvious. I mentioned him having the same problems as Rock and Orton early on in their careers, and the disconnect they initially had with the audience.

This will catch tons of heat but here is the truth. When your face looks like it belongs in "GQ" magazine, and you have the total package regarding looks, with a bright white veneer smile, people don't connect with you. They don't want to cheer you, and their not booing for your "character". Rock and Orton both had to overcome that by giving people a reason to view them "cool". And well dressed, great looking people sell in the media. SORRY...

So then anyone with good looks, wrestling ability, and chrisma could then fall into this category. He has potential but the kind of blind potential your shoving his way is without merit. I could say the same for Ted Dibiase, Dolph Ziggler, possibly Alex Riley, The Miz (though he's sometimes iffy in areas) Daniel Bryan, Justin Gabriel, wade barrett. The list goes on.

It maybe just be but as a promoter the three things you just listed are the three things I would want every wrestler to have. So saying Cody has them and has them on par (or the potential to be on par with) The Rock and now randomly thrown in Orton your pulling it out of your ass sir.

Dont get me wrong Cody is pretty good at what he does he has potential I don't see him with the wait of the company on the back but thats me.

You remind me of David Arquette in Ready to Rumble. When sting hits Scott Cann and David Arquette screams "hit me, hit me" you are a mark for cody that much.

**Is this guy seriously not an alt or someone just trolling? All he does is Bash Punk and give Rhodes a handjob on this forum**

Last edited: