'14-'15 MLB Off-season discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Hey, @RespectGohan6425, you ready for the amazing Papelbon in Milwaukee?
None of us give a shit about him. I think our setup crew is enough he should be alright. I expect D-train, Jeffress, and Gorzy to be able to snag his spot if needed. It's like last year when our "100% sure thing closer" Henderson came up and didnt play jack shit.

I just keep reminding myself we got rid of Ricky Weeks finally, and any situation is vastly improved.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Doubtful, unless we got rid of Nelson and another prospect, but him being from Wisconsin would really earn them their money fast. Zimmerman jerseys would legit fly off the shelves here, especially since the majority you see are Braun and Gallardo for the past 5+ years.

Brewers sign Dontrelle "mother fucking" Willis aka D-Train to a minor league contract. Could be the 4th pitcher in 5 years to earn that mother fucking paycheck (for some reason it took k-rod two seasons) by kicking ass for the crew. I expect him to share 7th with Jeffress. I love how many people call a 33 year old "shitty washed up hasbeen" like he is nearing 40. Command needs some work, but i'll give the fucker a minor league deal and see what happens gladly. Welcome to Milwaukee: 13+ mil for broken arms and shitty pitchers with one good season.....also where hasbeens and never were go to earn a payday elsewhere.

D-Will was one of my favorite players some time ago, I was at the game where he hit a grand slam against the Mets but that was A LONG TIME ago, I don't know if he's still useful.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
D-Will was one of my favorite players some time ago, I was at the game where he hit a grand slam against the Mets but that was A LONG TIME ago, I don't know if he's still useful.
He's only 33, hasn't pitched since 2011, and is signed to a minor league contract. If he does poorly, we wasted 600k. If he does well, on the other hand....

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Nats are smart to get Scherzer stras gio and zimmermann.

They have to play Harvey, Degrom, Wheeler, Syndagaard, Meija, Parnell, Niese, Gee, Colon

Mets pitching staff is sick

Nats have a better lineup.

Marlins have a real good squad

Braves and Phllies LOL

Last edited:

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
lmao Colon.
Are you trying to troll??

1. Harvey
2. Wheeler
3. Degrom
4. Niese
5. Syndagaard/Gee/Colon

What's wrong with an ol wiley vet that eats innings with great command? Come the dawg days those are valuable guys for spot starts or god forbid an injury.

Do you know baseball?

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Are you trying to troll??

1. Harvey
2. Wheeler
3. Degrom
4. Niese
5. Syndagaard/Gee/Colon

What's wrong with an ol wiley vet that eats innings with great command? Come the dawg days those are valuable guys for spot starts or god forbid an injury.

Do you know baseball?
Never. I only hated on 1/5th of your rotation, and for good reason. He might be great, he could be garbage. Now that you talk about the other two options, sure he is expendable, which was my point in the first place.

Jesus you are defensive as fuck, the last question states that pretty obviously.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Brewers sign another lefty reliever, because there is a good chance Smith might be moving/working his way into the rotation in the future. The dude has stuff and isn't quite 26 yet. Started as a SP, moved to the 'pen, but we have Gorzelanny and now Cotts in relief and it would be great to see a guy with his stuff pitching for us in the Rotation by July 2016/2017.

Brewers still looking for Pen help, my fucking ass. Hopefully we keep all our shit in AAA and AA and build/see what happens. A-Ram and Gomez are on the block if things don't work by July. Chicago is looking fierce in the next couple years, and we might be the only struggling team in the best NL division.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Please dear God, no Papelbon. Fuck yes, Frankie Rod. Give the man a 3 year low end contract when he is slept on AGAIN.

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Oakland A’s player profile: Ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte

February 26, 2015 by Sam Riley

The Oakland A’s have one player at training camp this spring that everyone is talking about. That would be ambidextrous pitcherPat Venditte. Yes, you heard me correctly. Venditte can pitch both left and right handed, and he is pretty good.

Venditte has been in the minor leagues for seven years with the New York Yankees but had the opportunity to sign with the Oakland A’s as a free agent this offseason. It is easy to see why the Athletics would want him in on their team. The Athletics love constructing unique lineups for each game based on the batter vs. pitcher matchup and Venditte gives them even more flexibility and control over the matchup between pitcher and batter.

So how does that work during a baseball game? Can Venditte switch pitching arms whenever he likes? As it turns out, there is a ruled name after him because of an incident at a college baseball game where a switch hitter and Venditte had a five minute stand off as one player would switch sides and the other would follow suit in order to gain the advantage. Thus came the Pat Venditte Rule. Like a switch hitter, a switch pitcher must indicate which side he plans to pitch from and cannot switch sides until the batter is retired. So, Venditte can switch pitching arms in between batters but not in between each pitch.

Additionally, since Venditte can pitch with both arms, he uses a special glove. This glove has two thumb holes so he can easily switch the glove from one hand to another. Even though this glove looks weird, he has been using one like this since he was seven years old and it works much better than switching to an entirely different glove for each batter.

Venditte’s two-thumbed glove: pic.twitter.com/AQAwA5zaks

— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 20, 2015

The real question is will Venditte be able to make the big league roster. Currently that Oakland A’s have 62 players reporting to spring training camp and only two bullpen spots open. This reliever’s ambidextrousness definitely gives him the edge over some of the other relievers vying for a bullpen position but Venditte also has to prove that he can be consistent and retire batters.

When it comes to Venditte’s pitching, he has three pitches on both sides – a fastball, changeup, and slider. From both sides, Venditte’s slider is his strongest pitch. The only difference between his two sides is that on his right side, Venditte pitches with a side arm delivery. Unfortunately, his velocity ranges from the high 70s to the mid-80s, which is slightly concerning.

[Barry Zito reunites with the Oakland A’s]

Even though his pitch speed is on the slower side, Venditte is able to get a leg up on the hitters by analyzing each player’s splits against left and right handed pitchers prior to the game. By doing this, Venditte can decide before the game which side he will pitch from for each batter that comes to the plate. And so far, that has worked well for him. Over four seasons of college ball, Venditte had a 2.86 ERA with 255 strikeouts and only 64 walks in 245 innings. Additionally, he has a minor league career 2.46 ERA and an average of 10 strikeouts per nine innings.

Manager Bob Melvin told that press that the Oakland A’s value versatility and that Venditte should fit right in with this team. If Venditte can show his effectiveness this spring, then the Oakland A’s will strongly consider him for one of the open bullpen spots. Because of his unusual talent, Venditte has already made an impression on the Athletics coaching staff. They will definitely keep him in mind if he does not initially make the big league roster.

For more news, rumors, and opinions on the Athletics, visit the isportsweb Oakland A’s homepage.