'14-'15 MLB Off-season discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
OAKLAND, Calif. -- All-Star third baseman Josh Donaldson is the latest Oakland Athletics star traded away in a rebuilding effort.

General manager Billy Beane looked at the large deficit by which his Athletics lost the American League West to the Angels, then evaluated how Oakland barely held off Seattle on the season's final day for the second wild card.

He realized he needed to rebuild his roster once more, but at least initially he didn't envision the move he made Friday night: letting Donaldson go to the Toronto Blue Jays for third basemanBrett Lawrie, right-hander Kendall Graveman, left-hander Sean Nolin and minor league shortstop Franklin Barreto.

More from ESPN.com
The Jays' pickup of Josh Donaldson helps their increasingly impressive lineup, David Schoenfield writes, but leaves A's fans unhappy. Story

5bf3ef6d67b3f53131ce7f59a3839fae.jpg
Adding Josh Donaldson -- a recent MVP candidate under team control -- is a surprising return for the Blue Jays considering what they gave up, writes Keith Law. Story
1982b83bcaa65f5c5bde119b3df33f0c.gif

Donaldson told the San Francisco Chronicle that he was playing video games when his agent texted him about the trade.

"I'm so shocked," Donaldson told the newspaper. "I just got off the phone with Billy Beane, and I guess they got an offer that they couldn't resist. I'm definitely a little emotional about it. Oakland is my home. At the end of the day, it's a business, as much as it hurts emotionally. The guys in that clubhouse are my brothers."

Beane considers both pitchers ready for the majors.

"They had been pretty persistent, and we were pretty adamant that wasn't something we were willing to talk about," Beane said of dealing Donaldson. "We wouldn't have done the deal unless it addressed now and the future, and they were able to do that. This deal in our minds addresses a little bit of everything. It got pretty serious the last 48 hours. They were reluctant to give up all four players, and we weren't going to do it without those four players in the deal."

Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos sweetened the deal, offering Lawrie as a replacement for Donaldson.

"I have a pretty good relationship with Billy," Anthopoulos said. "At some point, someone makes it really compelling."

At first he had been reluctant to give up four players for Donaldson, but the A's wouldn't have proceeded otherwise. Donaldson provides a steady hitter in the middle of the order for a Toronto team that finished third in the AL East at 83-79, and has watched the last-place Boston Red Soxpull off the big deals this past week by acquiring third baseman Pablo Sandoval and shortstopHanley Ramirez.

"Donaldson's been an outstanding player," Anthopoulos said. "We're getting a middle-of-the-order bat, and it's something that we need. We didn't expect him to be available. ... It doesn't hurt to ask. We asked if there was any way we could ask about Donaldson. Billy told me emphatically no. We left it at that. A few days ago, we were talking again and asked again. Finally when Brett was involved to replace Josh, that's when it started to move again."

Donaldson's Value
24137d25d9b5f35c59255253668f8ab3._.png
According to wins above replacement, only Mike Trout has been more valuable than Josh Donaldson among position players the past two seasons:

Most Wins Above Replacement

Mike Trout 16.7
Josh Donaldson 15.4
Andrew McCutchen 14.4
Robinson Cano 13.9
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Donaldson, 28, a sure-handed, athletic defender, batted .255 with 29 home runs and 98 RBIs in 158 games this past season, and was named to his first All-Star team. In four seasons in the majors, all with Oakland, he has a .268 average with 63 home runs and 228 RBIs in 405 games.

In his only two years as a regular, he finished fourth (2013) and eighth (2014) in AL MVP voting.

Anthopoulos can't wait to see Donaldson's bat alongside sluggers Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion.

"You are going to have to give up some really good players to get Donaldson," Anthopoulos said.

Oakland, which won the AL West in 2012 and '13, lost by 10 games this past season to the big-spending Angels. The A's then were eliminated 9-8 in 12 innings in the wild-card game at eventual AL champion Kansas City.

Beane wasn't sure Oakland could contend for the division again without some key additions, especially after losing left-hander Jon Lester following his short stint since being traded from Boston at the All-Star break.

"When we went into this winter, we had to take a look where we are and where we're headed," Beane said.

A's left fielder Josh Reddick told the Chronicle it is apparent the team is in a rebuilding phase.

"This doesn't make sense to me. We just traded our best player the last two years," he told the newspaper.

[+] Enlarge
Thearon W. Henderson/Getty ImagesJosh Donaldson belted 29 home runs to go with 98 RBIs this past season for the A's.

Beane already has been plenty busy.

On Nov. 19, he signed designated hitter and former Royals star Billy Butler to a $30 million, three-year contract. Just this past Sunday, the A's acquired first baseman Ike Davis and international bonus slot 86 from the Pittsburgh Piratesin exchange for international bonus slot 27.

Lawrie batted .247 with 12 home runs and 38 RBIs in 70 games for Toronto this past season. He missed most of the final three months because of a broken finger and an oblique strain.

Graveman recorded a 3.86 ERA in 4 2/3 innings pitched over five major league games this past season.

Nolin is expected to compete for a rotation spot, despite only 2 1/3 innings pitched with a 27.00 ERA in the majors.

Barreto, 18, is a .296 hitter in 132 minor league games. He is "exciting, but a ways away," a scout told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

"We addressed a lot of areas we thought we needed filled from our organizational standpoint," Beane said.

The A's still are in need of a shortstop with Jed Lowrie a free agent. Finding that player also might come through a trade because "I certainly won't see it through free agency," Beane said.

The Athletics also are open to trading Jeff Samardzija in "the right deal," a source told Crasnick.

To clear spots on the 40-man roster, the A's designated right-hander Josh Lindblom and first baseman Kyle Blanks for assignment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I've learned to never question BB. These moves suck in my uneducated opinion, but Beane is god.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
I've learned to never question BB. These moves suck in my uneducated opinion, but Beane is god.
Those young pitchers are studs. It's a long term investment that'll pay off. Also, when Lawrie isn't injured he's a helluva player in his own right. I understand that you should never give away the chance to get an all star calibre player but with glaring holes in our OF and middle IF I think those prospects could have been better utilized.

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
BOSTON (AP) Longtime Boston Red Sox head of public relations Dick Bresciani has died at age 76.

The Red Sox say he died Saturday of complications from leukemia

Known as "Bresh," Bresciani spent 42 years with the ballclub and was a member of the Red Sox, UMass and Cape Cod Baseball League Halls of Fame. In 1997, he received Major League Baseball's prestigious Robert O. Fishel Award for public relations excellence.

Bresciani (pronounced BRESH-ee-ah-nee) joined the Red Sox in 1972 and was the media face of the team for decades. Even after being promoted to vice president in 2003, he frequented the press box to share his encyclopedic memory of players and games from Red Sox history.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
It looks like the LA Dodgers havE & Outfielders on contract this year.. I assume someone will get traded.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
  • Nationals and Cy Young winner Max Scherzer agree to a 7 year deal.
  • Marlins considering Ichiro for a 2 year deal.
  • Cubs acquire Dexter Fowler from the Houston Astros.
  • Nationals say that SP Stephen Strasburg is reportedly available for trade.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Brewers traded Gallardo for his contract cost and 3 players today. No fucking clue who we got in exchange (an 18 year old, an infielder, and a pitcher) but am interested who we plan on signing to replace him. He isn't a true ace, but was ours for the past 6 seasons.....and is just weeks older than me haha.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Holy shit, trade rumors on possibly seeing the CREW Snag Zimmerman after the Scherzer signing. He is from WI, and played ball locally here for the Express (under single A team) before moving up.

I would/will immediately buy a jersey, we love him around here.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Holy shit, trade rumors on possibly seeing the CREW Snag Zimmerman after the Scherzer signing. He is from WI, and played ball locally here for the Express (under single A team) before moving up.

I would/will immediately buy a jersey, we love him around here.
Zimmerman would be an interesting pick-up for you guys.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Zimmerman would be an interesting pick-up for you guys.
Doubtful, unless we got rid of Nelson and another prospect, but him being from Wisconsin would really earn them their money fast. Zimmerman jerseys would legit fly off the shelves here, especially since the majority you see are Braun and Gallardo for the past 5+ years.

Brewers sign Dontrelle "mother fucking" Willis aka D-Train to a minor league contract. Could be the 4th pitcher in 5 years to earn that mother fucking paycheck (for some reason it took k-rod two seasons) by kicking ass for the crew. I expect him to share 7th with Jeffress. I love how many people call a 33 year old "shitty washed up hasbeen" like he is nearing 40. Command needs some work, but i'll give the fucker a minor league deal and see what happens gladly. Welcome to Milwaukee: 13+ mil for broken arms and shitty pitchers with one good season.....also where hasbeens and never were go to earn a payday elsewhere.