‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequels Could Shoot Back-to-Back

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Early buzz concerning director David Fincher’s soon-to-be-released The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo adaptation is extremely positive (so far). The film (at the time of writing this) has a Rotten Tomatoes score of over 92% and managed to earn a Golden Globe nomination for starlet Rooney Mara’s portrayal of the titular anti-heroine.

Fincher already has the option to helm the Dragon Tattoo followup, The Girl Who Played With Fire; it’s expected that, should Fincher choose to exercise that option, Sony would also want the Oscar-nominated filmmaker to adapt the final entry in author Stieg Larsson’s original Millennium trilogy – ie. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.

Larsson’s Dragon Tattoo sequels are (essentially) two halves of a single narrative – something that not only lends further credence to the idea of Fincher handling both film adaptations, but also supports the notion that they could feasibly be shot back-to back.
The filmmaker agrees on that latter point, and recently had the following to say on the matter, while promoting his Dragon Tattoo adaptation at a New York City press conference:

“Yes, the second two books [in the Millennium trilogy] are very much one story and it doesn’t seem prudent to me to go to Sweden for a year. Come back for a year. Put out the second one. Go to Sweden for a year. Come back for a year. I don’t think Rooney [Mara] wants to be doing this four years from now. So I think that would be crazy especially given the sense that it’s really one story that’s kind of bifurcated in the middle.â€

While Dragon Tattoo screenwriter Steven Zaillian is officially onboard to script Girl Who Played With Fire, he has admitted to Collider to not having actually begun the writing process just yet. The Oscar-winner scribe also said that he expects to finish the first draft of the script in about six months’ time – meaning that production on the first Dragon Tattoo sequel likely wouldn’t get underway until late 2012, at the earliest.

Much like Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played With Fire and Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest are both neo-Noir tales that are ripe with disturbing subject matter, darkly dangerous characters, and unsettling atmosphere. While readers may have mixed feelings about the quality of Larsson’s latter source material in comparison to his first novel about Lisbeth Salander, those books certainly stand to benefit from being scripted by Zaillian and visually-realized by Fincher.

All the same, shooting the second and third movies in a blockbuster series back-to-back can be a problematic approach, especially when they have a shared storyline; the results have often been weak to disappointing, in the past (see: the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean franchises).

In this particular case, that production plan actually makes more sense – not only for the practical reasons Fincher has cited, but also because the Dragon Tattoo sequels’ narrative is already set in stone and planned out in advance (a la Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy adaptation) … unlike, say, the third Pirates flick, where shooting began before the script was even complete.

Until I see the first one (and from what I hear, how it was butchered) I will hold off on saying whether this is good or bad. I think I will forever say I prefer the Swedish versions because they are so close to the books and really, Noomi Rapace was excellent as Lisbeth.

Castiel

Reaction score
I'm just not interested in any of these movies. I heard the books were so amazing and everything but I'm just not interested.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I don't think making sequels to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would be a very good idea, since it's doing unremarkably at the Box Office.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The bad part about making sequels is, they kind of have to. You can't tell just the first part of the story. I'm sure it is underwhelming in the way it is performing, but I still see them making the other two.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
That's a definite possibility.

The weird thing is, I was expecting Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol to bomb, and TGWTDT to make quite a lot of money at the box office. I was dead wrong.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I wasn't sure about Ghost Protocol. Nice to see it is making some money though. I was very shocked that Girl with the dragon tattoo is bombing that hard though. Guess that says a lot about the quality of the movie. That is what makes me curious to see it and not want to see it all at the same time.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
The film has been getting pretty good reviews, the acting being particularly praised.

I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the film itself. Maybe Millenium isn't that big in the United States.