WWE Television Ratings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I don't think Cena and HBK lost viewers when they went an hour for a non-title match.

I don't recall any Bryan fans ever saying he would draw though. The argument I always heard was "I don't care if he draws, he's entertaining to me and I would like to see him pushed." He doesn't draw, that's disappointing, I'm still a fan.

Yeah well, if you don't draw you don't get pushed, simple as that.

Last edited:

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Reality is guys like Punk and Bryan might be over but they aren't draws to the casual fan. They're both very talented but there is a reason why big muscles have always been favoured in wrestling.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Could have John Cena sat in the ring for an hour and he'll possibly keep the ratings o_O.

Sarcastic statements do not make you any more right in your argument. And again Cena wrestled an hour, and he didn't lose viewers. Got anymore gems?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah well, if you don't draw you don't get pushed, simple as that.
Supposedly Punk doesn't draw yet he got one of the biggest pushes in recent history..

Reaction score
Sarcastic statements do not make you any more right in your argument. And again Cena wrestled an hour, and he didn't lose viewers. Got anymore gems?

I was more making a point Cena draws no matter what, hell I liked that match but saying the top draw wouldn't keep ratings for an hour would be rather daft. Don't take it to heart.

I wonder how Angle/HBK did on Raw in their Ironman match, there's other lengthy matches on Raw which possibly lost ratings; so using the top draw as an example hardly proves anything aside from Cena can draw for an hour.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
(quote=Dale)Supposedly Punk doesn't draw yet he got one of the biggest pushes in recent history..(/quote) Yeah....And that is supposed to mean what? That WWE should constantly push people who make people change the channel? CM Punks reign was such a success right? Because it had nothing to do with a heel being built up to be thumped by the real draw Rock. Because Yokozuna had a long reign too, so that means everyone who gets pushed are such major players right?

I like how people bitched about Cena or Sheamus getting pushed down our throats, but never once complained about CM Punk getting crammed down our throats. LOLOLOLOGIC.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah....And that is supposed to mean what? That WWE should constantly push people who make people change the channel? CM Punks reign was such a success right? Because it had nothing to do with a heel being built up to be thumped by the real draw Rock. Because Yokozuna had a long reign too, so that means everyone who gets pushed are such major players right?

I like how people bitched about Cena or Sheamus getting pushed down our throats, but never once complained about CM Punk getting crammed down our throats. LOLOLOLOGIC.
Where did I say WWE should constantly push people who change the channel? Where did I ever say Punk's reign was a success? Where did I say Punk was a major player? You said people who don't draw don't get pushed, yet Punk who supposedly doesn't draw got an insane push, FACT.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Where did I say WWE should constantly push people who change the channel? Where did I ever say Punk's reign was a success? Where did I say Punk was a major player? You said people who don't draw don't get pushed, yet Punk who supposedly doesn't draw got an insane push, FACT.

And still takes up a considerable amount if airtime every week on Raw.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
(quote=Dale)Supposedly Punk doesn't draw yet he got one of the biggest pushes in recent history..(/quote) Yeah....And that is supposed to mean what? That WWE should constantly push people who make people change the channel? CM Punks reign was such a success right? Because it had nothing to do with a heel being built up to be thumped by the real draw Rock. Because Yokozuna had a long reign too, so that means everyone who gets pushed are such major players right?

Don't know what internet you were on but there has been a good amount of people who bitched about Punk's long reign. Anybody who has been pushed a main guy has had their detractors. Of course Cena has got it more than anybody because he has been on top longer than anybody without a change a minor change in character to go with it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Also for anybody interested in specifics.
WWE star Daniel Bryan's three-match, three-segment performance in the final hour of Monday's Raw scored above-average based on the quarter-hour ratings and minute-by-minute trends.

PWTorch has received minute-by-minutes for the demographic of males 18-49, which captures the widest portion of Raw's key audience. The following is a break down of the Gauntlet from the July 22 Raw.

- Bryan's three-match segment from 10:25 p.m. to 11:06 p.m. averaged 1.252 million viewers. This included three commercial breaks.

The overall Raw show averaged 1.241 million viewers, which includes Bryan's 40-minute segment. Prior to Bryan's three-segment stretch, Raw averaged 1.236 million viewers from Q1 to Q9.

- The most-watched portion of the third hour was the Paul Heyman-C.M. Punk promo exchange in Q9. The peak audience was 1.496 million viewers at 10:07. By comparison, Bryan's three-match run peaked with 1.459 million viewers at 11:04 p.m. during the over-run.

- Looking at the audience inflows and outflows, it's worth noting that channel-flipping slowed down during Bryan's gauntlet compared the first and second hours.

Whereas the top recipient of Raw's audience hit 30,000 viewers regularly during the first and second hours, the Bryan Gauntlet did not hit 30k one time. The most was 27,000 to "Big Bang Theory" at 10:39 p.m. during a commercial.

- Bryan's gauntlet started with a baseline audience of 1.322 million viewers at 10:25 p.m. when Jack Swagger was introduced as Bryan's first opponent. The Swagger match peaked with 1.363 million viewers, the Antonio Cesaro match peaked with 1.387 million viewers, and the Ryback match peaked with 1.459 million viewers.

This reflects the audience steadily becoming interested in the gauntlet as it unfolded. The following is the flow of the three-segment run.

- 10:25 p.m. - 1.322 million viewers (start of Swagger match)

- 10:27 p.m. - 1.365 million viewers (Swagger match peak)

The announcement of Antonio Cesaro as Bryan's next opponent on the other side of the break did not attract an audience...

- 10:34 p.m. - 1.137 million viewers when Raw returned from break.

- 10:38 p.m. - 1.260 million viewers (peak of Bryan-Cesaro Segment 1)

After Raw cut to a mid-match break, viewers came back for the conclusion of the two-part match...

- 10:43 p.m. - 1.254 million viewers

- 10:47 p.m. - 1.387 million viewers (peak audience of the Cesaro match)

- 10:50 p.m. - 1.366 million viewers (end of match before Raw cut to break with cliffhanger of Bryan's third opponent)

- 10:57 p.m. - 1.382 million viewers for the start of Bryan vs. Ryback.

- 11:00 p.m. - 1.361 million viewers at the top of the hour before a slight over-run increase occurred...

- 11:01 p.m. - 1.421 million viewers

- 11:02 p.m. - 1.413 million viewers

- 11:03 p.m. - 1.407 million viewers

- 11:04 p.m. - 1.459 million viewers (peak of Bryan's three-match run).

- 11:05 p.m. - 1.415 million viewers for the DQ ending to Bryan-Ryback, ending Bryan's gauntlet.

- 11:06 p.m. - 1.407 million viewers for Cena making the save.

- 11:07 p.m. - 1.367 million viewers for Maddox & McMahon backstage reacting.

- 11:08 p.m. - 1.283 million viewers for the final shot of Bryan celebrating in the ring; 39,000 viewers bailed to "Family Guy" at this point.

Caldwell's Analysis: Not a blow-away, but above-average, solid performance for Bryan's big spotlight. For starters, Swagger and Cesaro are nowhere near "main-event level," and Cesaro has been treated like an after-thought for a few months. As a result, it seems like the audience did not take those first two matches seriously until Bryan-Cesaro turned into something special half-way through. Then, the "cliffhanger" of Bryan's final opponent did not produce much of a bump; it wasn't until the over-run where the gauntlet reached the next level.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

I would think the question mark after every sentence would've clued you in the fact that I was taking your originl statement and broadening it to fit mine. Context ffs.

As for what site had forum members complaining about Punks long reign, sure as shit wasn't this one, other than "trolls" like Cork, Saiyans and myself. I've never seen anything of the sort, just endless pages of everyone piling on us for stating the obvious fact that Punk drew nothing, now it looks like it's going to be the same thing with Daniel Bryan.

Hey, I said I'd wait a week until judging what Bryan can do ratings wise, and judging from the giant ratings breakdown in the post before this one, what was his biggest gain? The overrun lol.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Those are not very convincing excuses, One would think even if Raw was bad(it wasn't) people on social media would be talking about how awesome this is and get people to tune in on curiosity. Nope, wasn't a Bonnar/Griffin type scenario and it lost viewers. I don't even recall it getting a trending now graphic.

Might not be convincing but you asked for excuses and that was the best that I could come up with. We will be able to see if it is a trend leading into SummerSlam to see if his segments start to draw more in the coming weeks. Would be nice if WWE announced in advance the plan for the gauntlet, give people a reason to tune in (or out), but at least hype it a few days in advance.

Reactions: 1 person

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
For what its worth, SD hit a 2 with RVD advertised, and they are running ads saying see RVD this coming Friday as well.

And they just said Total Divas got the highest rated premiere on E! all of 2013

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Supposedly Punk doesn't draw yet he got one of the biggest pushes in recent history..

He also didn't headline PPV's and his segments were stuck in the middle of TV shows.

Sure he ate up a ton of airtime, but he was never presented as a main guy, and the only time he was he drew the lowest ratings since the Dark Age of Bret Hart as champ.