WWE SummerSlam Preview & Live Discussion - August 17th, 2014

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'm going to jump in here and say I agree with Champagne Charlie. I think Orton gets thrown under the bus far too often.

I don't necessarily believe he's the best in the world right now, but I'd say he's in the top five no doubt. Orton always delivers on the big matches.

I can't think of a single year Orton hasn't had at least one Match of the Year Candidate. He is the most consistent motherfucker around.

I'm honestly interested to see if ANYONE else here agrees with this statement, because I certainly don't.

Oh and that's in reference to your first statement since I've already agreed that he carried Reigns last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't agree he "carried" Reigns. Reigns owned his own shit out there, however, I do believe Orton was the ring general and Reigns followed his lead for sure.

Who's also a better all rounder than Randy Orton.

John Cena is one of the least consistent in the company.

I'm not here to say John Cena sucks, because he can deliver with CM Punk, Brock Lesnar and Daniel Bryan...

but most times he goes through the motions and has exactly the same match each time out and gets his spots in.

However, I would say his mic work is what's even less consistent. When he's serious, he can cut a mean promo, otherwise, we all know it's cheesy as fuck.

All this said, I do agree there a few guys who could be said to be more "all-around" than Orton, but it's small list.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
How is Orton "consistent" when he has at least one bullshit, lackadaisical, igaf match every month or so? Also, using the "Cena goes through the motions" argument is laughable when the guy you're lauding over him does THE EXACT SAME THING. :lol:

As far as who's a better all-rounder than Orton in the company goes, excluding part-timers like HHH and Lesnar (who are both better than him btw) and recently departed stars like CM Punk and ADR (also both better imo of course) then you still have Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, CENA and Chris Jericho. If Luke Harper wasn't a mindless drone character and was allowed to cut promo's, he'd be a better all-rounder. If Bray Wyatt learns a little more ring management, he'll be better as well. Then there's the crop of NXT stars that haven't even made the roster yet, like Kevin Steen, who are way better than Orton on his best day.

Sorry guys, I deal in reality. Orton is good, maybe even great....at times. Permanently though? Pfft.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
How is Orton "consistent" when he has at least one bullshit, lackadaisical, igaf match every month or so? Also, using the "Cena goes through the motions" argument is laughable when the guy you're lauding over him does THE EXACT SAME THING. :lol:

As far as who's a better all-rounder than Orton in the company goes, excluding part-timers like HHH and Lesnar (who are both better than him btw) and recently departed stars like CM Punk and ADR (also both better imo of course) then you still have Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, CENA and Chris Jericho. If Luke Harper wasn't a mindless drone character and was allowed to cut promo's, he'd be a better all-rounder. If Bray Wyatt learns a little more ring management, he'll be better as well. Then there's the crop of NXT stars that haven't even made the roster yet, like Kevin Steen, who are way better than Orton on his best day.

Sorry guys, I deal in reality. Orton is good, maybe even great....at times. Permanently though? Pfft.

You'd have to give me some examples of these supposedly "IDGAF" matches, because I've never seen it. Even if he did, I said he always delivers in the big matches.

Perhaps he has a terrible match with Sheamus (who doesn't?) on Raw, but if he's on the PPV with a marquee match, he's coming out.

I admitted there was probably a few guys who could be considered a more "well-rounded" performer, Daniel Bryan included, I definitely wouldn't agree with Cena, but neither of us are changing our minds. I don't want you to think he's the greatest, but for a guy who has several MOTYC a year, a little recognition is warranted.

I appreciate you at least saying he's occasionally good, that's more than most, but he's good most of the time. I'm sure all of his matches last year were stellar.

(Oh, and Randy Orton doesn't go through the motions like John Cena does. Half the time I call his entire match.)

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Conversely, what were his "several" MOTYC's last year? I honestly can't think of one. I'll give him the series with Christian in 2011, but since then I'm struggling to think of one match he's had that would be in that category. Maybe the street fight with Bryan? I suppose I could consider the triple-threat at 'Mania this year, but honestly, that wasn't even as good a match as Bryan/Hunter from earlier in the night. Plus, its hard to say he's the one who delivered when Bryan had already wrestled one MOTN candidate on the same day. :lol:

As for his idgaf matches, aside from the obvious one against Cena at the Rumble (not using because it counters out my argument that Cena is better because he clearly didn't give a fuck that night either :lol:), I can easily think of several Raw/SD matches he's had lately that were less than stellar. I'll even concede that he kicks it up a notch on PPV (who doesn't though?) but that still doesn't make him the best "all-rounder" when he's clearly below the level of several guys I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: 1 person

Drew

Reaction score
You guys are crazy.

Yes Orton is good. He is a good all around performer. He's not a great promo guy but good enough. When motivated he can have a hell of a match.

I won't get into the thread shutting that defending Cena will produce but he's a better all around guy as well.

He'll bray is damn near in Orton's category too and is given major points for his mic skills.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
This debates funny.

Orton's a great pro wrestler as a face with a boring character. Conversely, he's a great character as a heel but is unfortunately boring as fuck in the ring. He does it intentionally though, so at least he knows what he's doing.

I'd also like to hear of some.of these MOTYC he's having. And one a year isn't consistently good, that's consistently terrible with the occasional bright spot.