WWE Officially Bans The Chair Shot

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wordlife

Credit: PWInsider.com

According to a report by the Hartford Courtant, WWE officially banned chair shots to the head at the onset of 2010.

The article talks about Linda McMahon's senate run and WWE spokesperson Robert Zimmerman sent the following e-mail to the writer of the article:

“In January 2010, WWE amended its Talent Wellness Program, specifically regarding the ImPACTâ„¢ Concussion Management Program originally instituted in 2008, eliminating the use of folding chairs or props to 'strike' an opponent in the head. Prior to this policy change, The Tables, Ladders and Chairs event in question took place on December 13, 2009. Incidentally, no performer suffered a concussion during the TLC event.â€￾

The company’s concussion program features annual examinations of talents as well as evaluations of whether they can return to active competition following head trauma.

The verbiage involving chair shots reads as follows:

*The WWE has eliminated using folding metal chairs to “strikeâ€￾ an opponent in the head.

*The WWE penalizes through fine and/or suspension the following:

-The intentional use of a folding metal chair to “strikeâ€￾ an opponent in the head.

-Any blow to the head that is deemed an INTENTIONAL act.

*The fine and/or suspension will be directed by the EVP of Talent Relations.

This is pretty interesting, and it has pretty strict offenses if a chair shot to the head does happen. Thoughts??

The Leviathan

Reaction score
:( I always enjoy seeing two guys get beaten with the steel chairs (suddenly remembered the Rock vs. Mankind LMS match). But then it's for the safety of their superstars and and not because of the PG thing, how cruel am I, then its okay... and we can still see chair shots to the back and the gut.

Wordlife

^True, they haven't banned the chair in general, which leads TLC to a different direction now.

I think they did this because of the recent head shot rules being put into place both in the NFL and the NHL. Yet TNA has no word on this yet, maybe they might ban the use of chair shots to the head too... but I doubt it.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Good.

I'm hoping though that this only applies to unprotected chair shots and not protected ones because the protected chair shots more or less amount to chair shot to the hands/arms.

Kudos WWE. It has been what, 3 years since Benoit? They're learning slowly but they are learning.

Wordlife

I personally agree with you there. There have been numerous concussions from accidental head shots, putting wrestlers out for a few months to a year. It's about time they did this. Granted, its wrestling, and the chair has been a staple to the business, and most wrestling businesses for quite some time now. But still, the wrestler's health/safety is more important.

Axis

Marginal benefit vs marginal cost. The cost of ONE Benoit was unbelievable to the WWE, both directly and indirectly through PR. The benefit of a few chair shots is minimal in the grand scheme. Good decision.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
Well, I agree that it is a good decision overall. But it changes the dynamic for every TLC, Extreme Rules, Steet Fight, No DQ and countless other matches. And we will never see another Con-Chair-To.

straight_edge76

Honestly, I cannot see this "ban" sticking permenantly. It will likely be banned for 4-5 months if that long then all of the sudden you will see people getting beaten down with chairs again.

Honestly, eventhough it is a staple in the wrestling buisness I am not 100% for nor against seeing it go mainly because it got to the point where imo the chair shots got a bit excessive.

LKP

Well, I agree that it is a good decision overall. But it changes the dynamic for every TLC, Extreme Rules, Street Fight, No DQ and countless other matches. And we will never see another Con-Chair-To.

Oh man :(.

Good idea in the long run yeah. The safety and that of the wwe superstars. But i will still miss he odd chair shot to the bonce.

maty619

Reaction score
Is this for all weapons because if it is I will really miss the trademark sledge hammer shot from Triple H and no more con chair tos for Egde, I actually hope E&C don't get back together now coz it won't be E&C without a two man con chair to

Airfixx

Life will go on....

Just like it did when everyone was up in arms over Cena's moves changing name, when Vince ruled that ref's had to start enforcing the rules and so on.

Curious.... When's the last time anyone remembers even seeing a con-chair-to? :roll:

Never seen HHH hit anyone actually on the head with the hammer. I bet those hammer blows are so 'dampened' that they're all but totally painless.

Wordlife

He covers his hand over the hammer, more less he doesn't even hit his opponent.

Reaction score
OMG dis iz so fuhkin gay. WWE is lame ann iz for childrun. Fuhck PG! Fhuck it in it's stoopid ass! Vince iz a smurf and his wreslurs are pussies fer not takin chare shots 2 da head. Imma watch TNA!

Seriously though, smart move. Anything to keep a man's brain from turning to mush while their still alive is a good call.

chessarmy

Life will go on....

Just like it did when everyone was up in arms over Cena's moves changing name, when Vince ruled that ref's had to start enforcing the rules and so on.

Curious.... When's the last time anyone remembers even seeing a con-chair-to? :roll:

Never seen HHH hit anyone actually on the head with the hammer. I bet those hammer blows are so 'dampened' that they're all but totally painless.

Umm, Triple H covers the top of the hammer with his hand, clear as day