WWE debuted in China

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
gerweck.net said:
WWE will debut in China today with a 90 minute free show at the Expo 2010
Shanghai. The 8,000 seater Expo Cultural Center will be hosting the live
event, a first for the Chinese fans. More than 240 countries and
international organizations are participating with about 145 international
pavilions at the Expo so this will be a great way for WWE to advertise their
brand. “WWE is honored that the Chinese government and Expo 2010 Shanghai
have offered us this rare, historic opportunity to perform at the successful
Shanghai World Expo,â€￾ said WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon when the
announcement was made. “We are thankful to be allowed to entertain the
attendees and our fans in the region at Expo 2010 Shanghai.â€￾ Top WWE
Superstars John Cena, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton and others will be
performing at the show. WWE opened an office in Shanghai in 2007.

Big news in so many different levels. Could put this in serious discussion and mention communism and how this introduces western traditions in their face. Or we can talk about how this could open up the door for rising up Chinese wrestlers and whateves. Big news.

Reaction score
Yes. Good news for sure. Chance for the WWE to make more money, introduce Chinese wrestlers, and expand.

*let's just hope to GOD that there isn't Russo Booking when it comes to Chinese wrestlers. I don't care to see another "EVIL Chinese version of Kaientai"*

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Not as excited as others. How many foreign wrestlers in the last 10 years in the E amounted to anything? Khali owned Taker and became World champ but that's it.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
Regal is kinda foreign isn't he? I mean hes british but i believe hes american born. Hes held the WCW TV championship, IC Championship, and Euro Championship a few times hasn't he? and the muslim or asian guy or w.e. that was supposed to win the world title but they took him off t.v. Muhammad Hassan..

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Not as excited as others. How many foreign wrestlers in the last 10 years in the E amounted to anything? Khali owned Taker and became World champ but that's it.

yeah exactly bonez. We've missed out on all of their rising talent with our only taste being tajiri (yeah he's Japanese but to an ignorant white guy it's relevant) and Tajiri ended up going back to japan anyways. Yeah I guess, all of the big names are from Japan but this puts a WWE branch closer to them and as much as they hate to admit it, Japan/Chinese Same thing. With this partnership, we could end up with better talent and less Randy headlock Ortons

Reaction score

I think we're going to see that change in the next 3 years, honestly. Sheamus is a solid main eventer, and provided they can keep Cena from killing his heat, he could be main event tier for some time. Wade Barrett is a given, and who knows where Alberto Del Rio (he was born in Mexico wasn't he?) will go.. I don't see Justin Gabriel being a champ, but he may end up being a solid mid carder with success in a few years time.

They do need a solid Asian superstar though. Yoshi Tatsu is fast on his way to Tajiri circa 2003 (never talks, jobs to the stars for eternity)

Montana

Reaction score
If the WWE expands to global territories, that would be big news. WWE Japan, WWE Mexico, WWE Europe. Talk of this has died down over the years, however i think it's still coming in the future.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
They had a similar idea with Kenzo Suzuki they were planning on pushing him straight to the top so they could have an oriential top star. That idea somehow failed and he won the tag titles with Rene Dupree ( another letdown of a superstar) and then vanished. Im hoping that they can do this sucessfully with Del Rio because I think hes got what it takes, as far as an asian star, well all I can say is its not gonna be Yoshi.

Reaction score
Good news for WWE, Bad news for everyone else. I'm sick of hearing about this. WWE air a video package on every show for the last 2 weeks. Anyone else getting tired of this?