WWE Asking Fans Why They Stopped Watching

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think I have it on record that I find both you and Deezy casual fans...

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
People have touched on most of the points I were going to bring up, so i'm going to go with the angle that the shows just aren't a must watch anymore. Look at SmackDown for example, it's loaded with RAW Rebound video packages or rematches that we've just seen on RAW. Instead of filling it with rematches, save them for RAW and put something exclusive on SmackDown that you have to tune in to see. A Cruiserweight division, Hardcore division, Womens Division or a straight Lucha division, just something different that you won't see on RAW, only SmackDown.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Why would anyone buy anything if they have access to the internet other maybe a t-shirt? But I'm planning on getting a 3D printer when they become more accessible.

Spoken like a true fan....I love this product so much that I will only support it by bitching about it on the internet. lulz.

Also. when are people going to get that nobody gives a shit about match quality in wrestling matches? Cruiserweights are fine for filler on your show, but not one cruiserweight got over on matches alone. Nobody pays to see them, they pay to see the larger than life personalities.

La Parka was more over than Eddie was in the LWO, he only got over after he went to WWE and hooked up with Chyna. Trufax.

And AAA is coming to the States, Konnan is producing the shit with Robert Rodiguez' company, watch that shit flounder too.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Come on, Deezy I rarely actually complain about the product. I'm usually quite outspoken against that stuff.

I also never factor in stuff like ratings into my opinions about wrestling. Using that as a tool to say wrestling should have less actual wrestling always comes off dumb to me. I don't care what non-fans think about the product, I want people that are passionate about the in-ring action to be the ones watching it. As entertaining as you and Cork are I will never agree with you on most of the stuff you guys say.

Reaction score
Why would anyone buy anything if they have access to the internet other maybe a t-shirt? But I'm planning on getting a 3D printer when they become more accessible.

People do crazy things like support the product being put out by those whose work they enjoy.

The real fan is the guy that watches all his shit for free on the internet and not the kid that catches what he can on TV, does odd jobs, saves his allowance, etc to actually buy the toys or save up for one of the live wrestling shows?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Passion is fine, dillusion is not.

That is how an entire generation were lead to believe that unprotected chairshots, thumbtacks, barbwire and fire were viable forms of wrestling.

Or how an new generation think two guys chopping or elbowing each other in the middle of the ring is entertaining, or that rehearsed Malenko spots are not fake as fuck.

Save the workrate for marks.

The biggest draws in wrestling are guys with larger than life personalities, pretty boys and guys who are charismatic as fuck. Every top ten worker on every list, haven't drawn a dime. I think of this shit in a business sense, because if my favorite programming fucks it up, then I don't got shit to watch anymore.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
People do crazy things like support the product being put out by those whose work they enjoy.

The real fan is the guy that watches all his shit for free on the internet and not the kid that catches what he can on TV, does odd jobs, saves his allowance, etc to actually buy the toys or save up for one of the live wrestling shows?

I do buy wrestling shows in bulk from tape traders where I get entire seasons. The problem is if WWE did this they would charge you hundred of dollars, I find them cheap and pay a REAL wrestling fan who took the time to put all that stuff together. Usually only costs me like a buck a disc.

But seriously with the internet being right there you should use it to your advantage. Going out of your way to watch something you love is enough to prove to me that you are a REAL fan. You take someone like Hatred(Dexter Morgan his current name on the site) who says he collects all WWE DVD shows and then flat out disrespects wrestling from the anything prior 2000 you just get a guy who just doesn't understand wrestling and looks like a joke when he voices his opinion about it.

Deezy, wrestling wouldn't die if it was just wrestling, it would just have less fans. If that is bad thing in your mind then so be it.

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
For the record, a "REAL FAN" spends every available dollar on whatever it is they find to be so entertaining, otherwise they are not fanatics, take that from someone who has a $400 entertainment budget every month for comics, videogames, music, movies, miniature games, concerts, etc.

Does that mean you have to own everything? No!, some have more expendable income than others, and its not about how much you own, its about how much you put in. I enjoyed the HBO show Spartacus, but I wouldn't call myself a fan because I will never buy anything to do with the show, whereas The Walking Dead, I am buying every season, every graphic novel(due to how I enjoy reading the series), both novels, and even every action figure(but they are McFarlane, so I may have grabbed them anyways), I also have a board game based on the comics. I highly doubt I will buy the board game for the show, or the Risk & Monopoly variants that have been announced.

I am also a huge Batman fan, but I cannot stand any of the Comic Book Code era Batman comics, and most A-List Batman villains couldn't stand up against Spider-Man's C-Listers like Spot. Golden Age Batman, & post Dark Knight Returns are my favorite eras. A fan does not have to love everything unconditionally, and the ability to decide what it is you love, and what it is you hate, that shows signs of a true fan, and not some fanboy jumping on the wagon who believes everything to do with (insert subject here) is the best of the best.

Some food for thought.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
For me match quality is very important because that's what I want to see. When you watch wrestling for over a decade, it takes very specific things to keep you coming back and that's what typically pulls me in. That's why I go out of my way to see indy promotions occasionally and that's why I still watch old matches from the 70's and 80's. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

However that being said, match quality is seriously not important at all in order to make an event excellent, to make a rivalry excellent, to make a story excellent, to sell tickets, to get wrestlers over, make them and their promotions successful, to further their careers, and to gain respect. Not even remotely. And the wrestlers who actually went that extra mile every single time they were in the ring to cater to fans like me who appreciate serious wrestling clinics, people like Flair, Steamboat, Bret, Michaels, Savage, etc... God bless them. But that's never been what drives the business. Ever. And any "real wrestling fan" understands that, regardless of what they personally get their fix on. If match quality was the most important aspect, ROH, New Japan, and probably even Dragon Gate would rule the wrestling world and that's obviously not the case.

Take for instance, one of my favorite matches of all time is Shawn Michaels vs. Steve Austin @ Wrestlemania 14. Most people wouldn't even rate that match ****, yet it was amazing to me because of everything that went into it, what it meant to professional wrestling, how it changed an era, and the fact both Michaels and Austin were both seriously injured and yet still gave everyone who bought that ppv or attended the event in Boston their money's worth. That was a very special match to me and I don't care what any Meltzer fan boy fuckhead thinks about it. Does that make me any less of a "real wrestling fan" or less-knowledgeable of the product I follow simply because I liked it more than Savage/Steamboat at Wrestlemania III and Owen/Bret at Wrestlemania X? No it doesn't.

Fact of the matter is that match quality is great for furthering the entertainment quality of professional wrestling, but some fans today just get so hung up on it that they want to pretend it's all that matters, when frankly I would go as far to say that it's about 5% of it, if even that. It's very remote. Story is 50% and presentation & spectacle is the other 45%, especially the wrestler's entrance which is a bigger part of the business than any fan is willing to admit. That's why when I saw Big E Langston slapping chalk in his hands on Monday, he really just struck me as the biggest loser in wrestling because it didn't say anything besides "Hey look... CHALK! Ahhhh!" and that's the stupid character the fans see throughout the entire match. A loser. But if all that is as good as it can be, you can have the worst match ever and still achieve a classic. *cough* Hogan/Andre *cough* Hogan/Warrior *cough* and so on. And the whole freaking Attitude era was flooded with terrible matches and they were the best years of wrestling period.

So frankly I think it's preposterous to slander any wrestling fan that doesn't whore themselves out to match quality because quite frankly, they might actually understand the business more than you. If you only like matches that last longer than 30 minutes and receive critical acclaim from marks who do the star ratings reviews, that's fine. But don't run other fans down simply because they appreciate the bigger picture more than match quality. If those same marks ran a wrestling promotion, it would go bankrupt in a matter of months because most of them don't have the smallest clue what makes something about wrestling truly great. And that's something I'm dead serious about. I actually think a 9-year-old who has absolutely no knowledge or reference as to what match quality even IS, who probably can't name more than 4 moves, would stand a better chance of booking a wrestling promotion simply because they're all strictly focused on what's really important and they don't feel obligated to appreciate trivial things that most of us older fans do by nature.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Match quality is just one factor of many that makes pro wrestling interesting. How much it matters depends on the fan I guess, but it is not the end all. The reasons why have been laid out pretty well already.

Wrestling is all about making people want to see extraordinary athletes "fight" each other. That's basically it. I love seeing a GOOD technical, ferocious or well-paced match too. Solid matches are a single, but valid reason to find wrestling exciting and it's refreshing to see one now and then, but I don't expect them always from everyone. In fact, I couldn't expect it every night from anyone. What makes wrestling fun has everything to do with interesting storylines and characters. Even matches themselves are usually more cohesive and dramatic when some kind of story is told through the action. Most of what I discuss, criticize and suggest is focused on angles and gimmicks.

5 star classics and ring ability isn't an invalid appeal at all, it's just not that relevant compared to the implications of the match.

Reaction score
Bring back the attitude era!

Honestly though, they could improve the product if they want to. They definitely have the talent but because the don't have any competition, they don't seem to care.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
Honestly though, they could improve the product if they want to. They definitely have the talent but because the don't have any competition, they don't seem to care.

WWE or rather Vince McMahon may not seem to care but in truth he does actually "care" - it's just that what he cares about is things like money, good publicity and a WWE that is to his own liking - one way or another he's still getting all of that even if us older/internet fans are feeling alienated. The problem lies in the fact the things a lot of us fans would like to see simply just don't coincide with his vision for the company. That's where he doesn't care and there isn't much of a need for him to.

Competition is nice since it forces them out of their comfort zone. But given where WWE is at currently, i'm not sure that would even make a difference since you have to ask yourself what exactly is competition to them? Over the last few years they've moved away from being the "sports entertainment" wrestling focused company they were and have placed more emphasis on the "entertainment" aspect as well as their connections/partnerships with a lot of other organisations etc. Based on how they've established themselves now, they've kind of made it so that it's extremely difficult (as far as I can tell) for anyone like (theoretically) TNA to compete - they've got far too much mainstream influence and there's apparently more than enough people out there that support the current WWE for what it is.

Really, the only way things will change is if Vince McMahon actually decides to take more pride in the overall quality of the product (from an artistic standpoint I guess you could say rather than continually dumbing things down to what they are), or if Triple H does indeed end up taking over and hopefully has enough sense to give us a more intelligently written show.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I honestly never understood why people equated a rating for overall quality, the years after the Attitude Era were some of their most edgy shit and it was fucking terrible. Anyone actually remember most of 03-07 era? Anyone actually want to see a fat fuck dancing in the ring in a thong, Vince McMahon booking god into a match? Katie Vick?

Book the show like an actual wrestling show, get some big personalities, stop having people dress the same and for fuck sakes, have actual angles instead of storylines, it doesn't take much to reinvent the wheel, the blueprints are there.

Miss D

Reaction score
I know few people who stopped because they feel wwe treats fans like dummies dropping angles and stuff . one example I got was when Hogan tried to kill rock when he hit hit him with truck and week or later they in ring posing together

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I know few people who stopped because they feel wwe treats fans like dummies dropping angles and stuff . one example I got was when Hogan tried to kill rock when he hit hit him with truck and week or later they in ring posing together

That Hogan one was a bad example tho, it wasn't WWE who dropped it, it was the fans who did.....WWE did everything to get some heel heat on Hogan, but noone was going to boo Hulkamania in the house that fed it.

Although I do hate it when WWE or any wrestling companies go too far on feuds and result in shit like vehicular man-slaughter or kidnappings, assaulting family memebers, breaking into houses, stuff that should involve cops instead of "I'm going to win this match!" is just plain Blue and a terrible by-product of CrashtTV shit of the Attitude Era. Attitdue Era was succesful, but boy did it fuck everything up after it was over. The bar was raised to the point that WWE decided it would kill somebody if they fell off it, Re-educate the fans