WWE Asking Fans Why They Stopped Watching

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
- A research group is holding invited focus groups in New York City asking men and women from 18-54 who are WWE fans or former WWE fans to talk about the WWE product including what they like and why they've stopped watching if they are lapsed fans. The groups are an attempt by the company to figure out ways bring fans back and identify problems in the way the current product as t is promoted and marketed.

Credit: PWInsider
What would you tell WWE if you were in one of these research groups?

Personally,I Think the writing is Meh and there just isn't Much Too keep me intrested in the Company.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think most people will just avoid this because I think the biggest problem is peer pressure from fools that dislike wrestling.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm like 95% sure the most common answer is going to be "because it's not like the attitude era anymore"

HB_Punk

Reaction score
Writing is crappy
2z65g0j.jpg

And it's obvious that I'm not the target market when I watch it.

Attachments

• 2z65g0j.jpg
    2z65g0j.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 11

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Bad writing, Too many Superhero characters like Cena and Sheamus, they can only do three or four feuds at a time tops while the rest of the roster goes ignored. They suck at pushing young guys, on his road to the WHC they literally jobbed Ziggler out to just about the entire roster.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Short version: Bad writing and the lack of angles and storylines distributed amongst the card for people to work with.

I know WWE is bound to get a lot of "we want less Cena" responses and his lengthy dominance over the roster does frustrate me as well. But it's not because he doesn't deserve to have what he's got or even that I don't like him. It gets tedious because it's the same Cena, week after week, year after year. I get cynical and bored whenever Cena moves towards a championship because I know the reign won't be anything I haven't seen before, unless his opponent offers something fresh. I know some will say I'm just complaining but I think it's a valid grievance since it indicates creative laziness. And now that they've gone with the financial safe bet for so long, cemented Cena's legacy so firmly and put him on such a pedestal, that once he is gone there is no one that can reasonably be expected to fill his spot unless they start heavily investing in them like the once had to with Cena.

I also stopped watching on TV because Raw airs at crappy times here, and I don't buy PPV's because they are both expensive and frequent, often with only a couple of matches of interest.

Reactions: 1 person

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'd tell them to stop being lazy.

Writing for pro wrestling isn't hard. They're basic morality plays for the most part and writing those is pretty easy when you have clearly defined roles.

Also I would remind them that there is more going on than the main event. Obviously reinventing the Attitude Era is not going to happen and that's fine. One of the best things about that time though was that everybody was doing something. If you liked Al Snow, he was doing his thing with the JOB Squad. If you liked the Brood, they had their thing going on with the Hardy's and the Ministry. It's not like that anymore. Almost everybody who is not in the main event is essentially sitting still, spinning their wheels waiting for their shot. That's silly and nobody gets over like that so when they do get their shot at the ME they get shit all over because people have zero investment in them.

But yeah, it all boils down to not being lazy anymore.

edit- Or what Defiant said. Readin's hard.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else for the most part. The biggest thing is just having better midcard storylines. I'd also say improving the tag division would help as that was really a big thing in the past.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
- The shows are geared too much towards smarks
- Too many bland indy guys being featured prominently
- Lack of characters
- 3 hours is way too long to watch wrestling
- Heavy feeling of deja-vu while watching PPVs

AF.

Reaction score
Writing/Creative sucks, the program is directed at children, there aren't as many good matches on a regular basis anymore, the storylines are all watered down and nothing exciting rarely happens, there are no mid-card feuds, no emphasis on creating new stars, rarely any big angles, too much Cena, not enough pulling of the trigger with certain things, rather then trial and error WWE will continue to stick to the same formula, dull active roster with little star power, babyfaces have no character and do nothing interesting and win all the time, SmackDown should be pushing the boundaries rather than being a filler show, wrestlers are burnt out from too many house shows therefore affecting TV match quality, crowds generally suck aside from a few key areas (NY, Chicago, Canada, London).

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
It's all been said but yeah. Writing sucks, feuds are based on spilled coffee and parking spots, and there's too much SuperCena and SuperSheamus.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Probably would have something to do with seeing talentless hacks that think they are TV Stars because they act like whores, or crybabies on MTV.

Or, the promise of change that never happens. Try PG but when all else fails bring back Attitude Era stars to make dick jokes.

And, lacking on creating new stars. Tensai is the perfect example of this, brought in to be a massive heel for Cena to feud with, but thrown together in a tag team(basically becoming the Hip Hop Hippo again) with another guy that was rumoured to be pushed to the stars.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Focusing on the younger talent really. They have the talent, just choose not to use it properly. I don't get how Sandow isn't in the main event already. Shit, I think Cody Rhodes is ready too. That's my main thing, they have the talent, the young guys who are hungry, but they won't even toss them a bone.

The writing for the most part is pretty meh. I thought they had a Soap writer for their head writer, where are the storylines that will actually give me reason to invest in everybody. They rely too heavily on the same people almost all the time. They have a bad habit of dropping the ball with someone who's proven they are ready(ie Miz, Cesaro, Bryan). They need to get a little more attitude in there. I don't mean bring back the Attitude Era completely, because honestly, that time has passed. But they need to get a bit more heated, curse a little more. I don't mean dropping the F bomb or anything. But it's the little things that make a big difference.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm having a hard time taking a lot of these posts seriously because they are the thoughts of current fans. Usually when I talk to non-wrestling fans about wrestling they can't even explain themselves in a way that makes sense. They just aren't fans and they'll criticize it even if they have no idea what is going on. Most former Attitude Era fans are the worst.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Writing has been bad? Not really, just inconsistent, stop the committee booking, and make some long term booking, instead of booking for TVs book for PPVs. And give others some mic time to get over and give them some storylines. And Raw doesn't need to be 3 hours and basically rematch every PPV after it.

Anyways, SuperCena? Nothing compared to Steve Austin.

Also, why did they stop watching? Easy, they showed the first season of TUF right after Raw and the male demo, got their drama there and switched and now pretend like they never watched wrestling and make fun of it anytime it is brought up, unless Rock or Steve Austin is brought up.