WWE 2005: Changing Of The Guard

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy

Kwx5R0a.png

WWE 2005: CHANGING OF THE GUARD

WrestleMania 21, the biggest event of the year, has drastically changed the landscape of WWE. With the defeats of Triple H and John Bradshaw Layfield, two new stars have taken over, Batista and John Cena. While Batista and Cena have emerged as the faces of WWE, there are also rising stars on the roster. Mr. Money In The Bank Edge has the opportunity to compete in a world championship at any time that he chooses. There's also Randy Orton, entrusted with having posed a huge threat to The Undertaker's undefeated streak. Stars like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Booker T, Kane, and Big Show all remain reliable names who can make a shift from midcard to main event at any given point. There's also the experienced Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Triple H, John Bradshaw Layfield, and The Undertaker who continue to be staples of the show. But on the other side, the rising stars of Christian, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Paul London, and the polarizing Muhammad Hassan are all looking for that one big push to take them to the next level. In light of this, it is highly likely that the WWE's future is in good hands, and it is about time the changes that fans have been clamoring for are finally coming to fruition.

Last edited:

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
1672798386091.png

RAW ROSTER
Batista [World Heavyweight Champion]
Candice Michelle
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Chris Masters
Christian
Christy Hemme
Edge
Eric Bischoff [General Manager]
Eugene
Gene Snitsky
Jonathan Coachman
Kane
Khosrow Daivari
Lita
Maria Kanellis
Matt Hardy
Maven
Muhammad Hassan
Randy Orton
Ric Flair
Robert Conway
Rosey
Shawn Michaels
Shelton Benjamin [Intercontinental Champion]
Simon Dean
Stacy Keibler
Stone Cold Steve Austin [occasional appearances]
Sylvain Grenier
Tajiri [1/2 World Tag Team Champion]
The Hurricane
Triple H
Trish Stratus [Women's Champion]
Val Venis
Victoria
Viscera
William Regal [1/2 World Tag Team Champion]

1672798787075.png

SMACKDOWN ROSTER
Akio
Big Show
Billy Kidman
Booker T
Carlito
Charlie Haas
Chavo Guerrero
Danny Basham
Dawn Marie
Doug Basham
Eddie Guerrero [1/2 WWE Tag Team Champion]
Frankie Kazarian
Funaki
Hardcore Holly
Heidenreich
John Bradshaw Layfield
John Cena [WWE Champion]
Joy Giovanni
Kurt Angle
Lauren Jones
Luther Reigns
Mark Jindrak
Matt Morgan
Michelle McCool
Miss Jackie
Nunzio
Orlando Jordan [WWE United States Champion]
Paul London [WWE Cruiserweight Championship]
Rene Dupree
Rey Mysterio [1/2 WWE Tag Team Champion]
Rob Van Dam
Scotty 2 Hotty
Shannon Moore
Spike Dudley
Theodore Long [General Manager]
The Undertaker

Torrie Wilson

Last edited:

Order

Send HOOK
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
This was a really interesting era in WWE with lots I hated but also the odd success. Looking forward to seeing what you change and what you keep the same.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Just like Order and Man said... also looking forward to this, since WWE ´05 is always an intriguing starting point. Especially interested in seeing what you are going to build up in terms of the Cruiserweight division, since it had so much potential back then with the talent in it.

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
1672879386213.png

WrestleMania 21
April 3, 2005
Staples Center in Los Angeles, California

Rey Mysterio def. Eddie Guerrero
Edge def. Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Chris Benoit, Christian w/ Tyson Tomko and Kane to become the first ever Mr. Money In The Bank
The Undertaker def. Randy Orton to improve streak to 13-0
Trish Stratus (c) def. Christy Hemme w/ Lita to retain Women's Championship
Kurt Angle def. Shawn Michaels
Akebono def. Big Show in a Sumo Match
John Cena def. John Bradshaw Layfield (c) to win the WWE Championship
Batista def. Triple H (c) to win the World Heavyweight Championship

----------

NEWS REPORT
  • After being inducted in the 2005 Hall Of Fame and a subsequent appearance on WrestleMania 21 the following night, it seems that Hulk Hogan is currently not in WWE's plans when it comes to a comeback despite chants for one more match at the Hall Of Fame. The current issue between Hogan and WWE is for the most part, monetary. There were rumors of a Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan program being discussed before WrestleMania, but it was quickly scrapped as it was believed neither man would be able to agree to a satisfying conclusion.
  • Following a great match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania 21, it appears that there will be no Randy Orton on WWE television for the foreseeable future. A big blow to both Orton and the WWE, he suffered a shoulder injury during his match with Undertaker and has been advised to take time off to get surgery on said shoulder. What this means for Orton is unknown, as plans were put in place to make him a top heel on Raw with hints to Batista and Orton being the defining top feud for the next couple of years. With Orton out of action, it appears that Raw my have to look to new faces to be in that top heel spot with rumors of Triple H taking time off.
  • It seems that there will be a draft lottery in 2005, although it won't be taking place after WrestleMania to allow stories to develop and end. There's also been rumors of higher-ups pushing for a swap of brands between World Heavyweight Champion Batista and WWE Champion John Cena, with the belief that charismatic Cena has mainstream appeal that deserves to be highlighted on WWE's flagship brand. Not much has been discussed about this swap yet, as Vince McMahon intends on pushing through Batista as the #1 face after how successful the Triple H storyline ended up being, but John Cena's ascent to the top has been noted heavily by McMahon.
  • After working a back and forth schedule throughout 2004, it seems that The Undertaker will be returning back to TV as a forefront and staple of SmackDown, as his presence on a week to week basis has been sorely missed on the blue brand. Plans have already been put in place to have Undertaker working with younger and promising talent down the line.
  • Almost begrudgingly, Vince McMahon has decided to start putting more focus and attention into the cruiserweight and women's divisions, after advice from Shane McMahon and Stephanie McMahon respectively, who are looking to WWE's future, both on the wrestling and business side. Shane believes that putting more focus into the cruiserweight division is a great way to appeal to the more hardcore demographic, while Stephanie believes that building a sustainable women's division will be great for marketing down the line.
  • Following Matt Hardy's public outburst following finding out that his girlfriend Lita was cheating on him with long-time friend Edge, there has been rumors to terminate Hardy of his contract, while Vince McMahon remains eager to turn these on-screen issues into a storyline as a means of capitalizing off of Lita's plummeting popularity. Despite Vince's eagerness, this has been advised against many members of creative -- although it may be too late to change the chairman's mind.
  • Speaking of releases, it appears to be the end of the line for Rhyno's tenure in the WWE (although most may have forgotten he was still in the company) following a nasty spat at the WrestleMania 21 afterparty with his soon to be ex-wife. While the door may be open for Rhyno down the line, it was a bad look which has lead to John Laurinaitis prepping to give Rhyno the dreaded call.

Notable Absences:

• Matt Hardy (recovering from knee injury)
  • Randy Orton (shoulder injury)
  • Rob Van Dam (torn ACL & meniscus)
  • Snitsky (blood clot in stomach)

Last edited:

Stojy

Reaction score
HEAPS of potential here. I'd argue that Mania 2005 was probably the last 'Mania where I thought there were enjoyable angles for at least a few years. I still think the Batista/Trips angle was SO good, even if the matches didn't completely deliver. Anyway, plenty to work with here, looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Good luck.

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
3rzWvnCvSbawSwrfiDR1fH5eUPFSLB8pvBmFee3NapoKb8-dsjw7pDW0IfkWnaY14HHjPjlcWa6m9tsDrR1KxIhqxJVRDjvM-RK8kI-M6EWrVe6y7efBKp25DxZJmUME61dah0H1yWNzjA066TYy_OXHbdibsTof1PwHdVCe_Kng-jz3qH7mDZutjVl0CA

Monday Night RAW
April 4, 2005
Staples Center in Los Angeles, California

Opening up the show is a recap of WrestleMania 20, mostly focusing on the Raw side of things. Amongst that is Edge’s Money In The Bank win, Randy Orton losing to The Undertaker, Trish Stratus retaining over Christy Hemme, Shawn Michaels losing to Kurt Angle in a clinic of a matchup, and closing out with the brand new World Heavyweight Champion Batista defeating his former mentor Triple H.

Moving on is the familiar Raw opening as JR and King go over a blockbuster WrestleMania and considering all that happened last night, the landscape of the WWE may very well be changed as they know it! The two run down a bit of what’s in store for tonight: an Intercontinental Championship match between Shelton Benjamin and Chris Jericho, a women’s division matchup between Molly Holly and Victoria whom of which are very familiar with one another, as well as the “Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels coming out to address a tough loss to Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21.

*THE ANIMAL*
The new World Heavyweight Champion is here, and what an ovation for Batista! Dressed to the nines, Batista makes his way down to the ring while JR notes how great of a fit the Big Gold is on him. Batista continues to play up the rabid crowd, taking the World Heavyweight Championship and raising it up high to an even bigger ovation. As his music dies out, Batista milks the reaction as he acquires a microphone and takes his time before speaking.

“Thank you, thank you. I really appreciate it.” Batista says, smirking to the fans as he says last night was a long time coming and he spent every day and night working to become the one to finally dethrone and shut up Triple H. Batista says last night was absolutely cathartic and with the World Heavyweight Championship in his possession now, he’s looking forward to the long list of men he could take on for his championship. “With that said, I am sending a message to the ENTIRE Raw roster!” Batista looks around, smirking. “I want EVERYONE to step up, because there isn’t a single man in that locker room that I’m afraid of!” Cheers follow Batista with that said and even King has to admit, with Batista’s near-flawless performance last night, what is there to be afraid of?! But before Batista can continue any further..

*THE GAME*
Of course, it’s not just over like that. Walking out by his lonesome is Triple H and he is not in the slightest bit happy with what’s gone down last night. While the fans boo Triple H and try to let him have it, his focus is solely on Batista and the World Heavyweight Championship in the ring. JR points attention to the massive bandage on the forehead of Triple H, making it clear that Triple H gave Batista his absolute all last night – and Batista gave his all, and more!

Triple H takes a microphone and enters the ring, staring Batista down. Despite the loud “BATISTA!” chants from the fans, Triple H’s eyes never leave Batista’s eyes. “Dave.. I’ll give ‘ya that… You did what not many men in this business can lay claim to, and that’s BEATING ME.” The fans cheer, because it’s true, Batista was able to beat the odds and defeat Triple H! But Batista remains stone faced the entire time, because he knows Triple H very well and he knows that he’s far from finished.. “..But it stops there.” Triple H snarls. “You defeated me, but time… And time… And time again, I have shown why that is MY belt.” Triple H points at the World Heavyweight Championship resting firmly on the shoulder of Batista. “Because quite frankly, you’re one helluva’ talent, Dave. But I AM THE GAME for a reason! I have beaten everyone, you name ‘em! And just like Randy, everything you know is because of ME!” Boos follow that statement as Batista nods his head because he’s got a point.

“And I’m telling you now, savor that while you can..” Triple H stares at the World Heavyweight Championship before locking back eyes with Batista. “Because I’m using my rematch clause and that World Heavyweight Championship WILL be mine again..” Triple H puts the mic down. He doesn’t acknowledge the booing crowd, although you can tell everything is ticking him off here. Batista tilts his sunglasses down and stares at Triple H before slowly raising the mic up to his mouth. “You’re right, Hunter. You have beaten everyone..” Batista pauses, “Except for ME!” And that’s what finally ticks Triple H off, as he looks like he’s about to blow a gasket! The fans are loud in agreement of what Batista’s saying! Triple H points at Batista, saying a couple of remarks off mic, but Batista remains unbothered as he speaks again. “So if you wish to invoke your rematch clause? Fine by me, but know that the result will REMAIN THE SAME.” Batista raises the World Heavyweight Championship up in Triple H’s face as his music plays. The two stare each other down, until Batista brushes past Triple H and exits the ring, walking to the back. Triple H turns and watches Batista leave, as JR and King ponder if Batista may be dealing with a different and vengeful Triple H..

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Match One:
WWE Intercontinental Championship
Shelton Benjamin (c) vs. Chris Jericho

A hot matchup to open the show, as Shelton Benjamin and Chris Jericho clash for the Intercontinental Championship following a thrilling Money In The Bank ladder match last week which both men were involved in. To start the match off is a bit of a feeling out process of chain wrestling where the much more experienced Chris Jericho takes advantage. But in quick time, it’s the all-american wrestler and much stronger Shelton who overpowers Jericho and works him down with a grounded waistlock. Jericho is able to snatch the arm and flip Shelton over into a kneeling armbar, and Shelton rolls to his feet and pushes Jericho against the ropes. As a clean break is enforced, Shelton grabs Jericho’s wrist and irish whips him across the ring.

Shelton swings a clothesline and Jericho ducks under, waiting on Shelton to turn so he can crack him with a leg-feed enzuigiri. A stunned Shelton is up to his feet already as Jericho lights him up with some blistering chops. Shelton fights back though, firing some heavy right and left hands to the side of Jericho’s head. The two trade strikes, before Jericho kicks Shelton in the knee to kneel him. Jericho bounces off the ropes and dropkicks Shelton down to look for the first cover of the match, only a one count. Chris Jericho takes control from there, as commentary notes that Shelton took a lot of damage with his high risk maneuvers in the Money In The Bank ladder match last night. Jericho plays off of this, hurting the back of Shelton with a variation of moves.

In the driver seat, Jericho looks for the Walls of Jericho, but Shelton is able to finally come to life and shift his hips, tossing Jericho off of him! Shelton rises to his feet and drops Jericho with two straight clotheslines, then ducks under him and swiftly gets to the top rope in one jump, flying off into an impressive diving crossbody which gets the crowd on their feet! Shelton follows up with a cover! One..! Two..! Jericho kicks out! Jericho is up to his feet and Shelton looks to send him over the top rope, but Jericho low bridges and sends Shelton over instead! Shelton lands onto the apron, looking to get back in – but Jericho is up to his feet and dives off into a triangle dropkick! Shelton crashes back first on the apron and flops down to the floor, as Jericho lies down to take a breather. Jericho rolls out and picks Shelton up, sending him into the barricade and the steel steps.

The action continues into the ring as Jericho covers Shelton. One..! Two..! Shelton kicks out. It’s going to take a lot more than that to take Shelton out. Jericho picks Shelton up and double underhooks the arms, looking to toss him from tiger driver position to a backbreaker. Shelton is able to wiggle free and spin out, hoisting Jericho up for a beautiful northern lights suplex! Shelton bridges up! One..! Two..! Jericho raises a shoulder up! Both slowly rise to their feet, and Shelton has Jericho rocked with two punches to the side of the jaw. Shelton irish whips Jericho across the ring, but Jericho counters it! Looking for a back body drop – no! Sunset flip – no! Jericho drops into a kneeling pin! One..! Two..! Th– Shelton kicks out! Jericho almost had him there! Jericho quickly rises to his feet and Shelton follows after Jericho, grabbing at the waist! Jericho sends two stiff elbows to the side of Shelton’s head, and it really picks up now as Jericho hits off of the ropes! But Shelton catches him! T-Bone Sup– NO! Jericho lands behind Shelton! Running bulldog! Shelton is flattened and he unknowingly rolls onto his back!

Jericho raises his hands up and LEAPS UP THE MIDDLE ROPE! LIONSAULT– Shelton rolls out of the way! But Jericho landed! Shelton slowly wobbles up and Jericho grabs at the legs, dropping him to his back! Shelton wiggles free, kicking Jericho off of him, and Jericho spills through the middle rope to the apron! Shelton quickly gets up and tries to knock Jericho off the apron, but Jericho is waiting for him and doubles Shelton over with a shoulder barrage to the ribs. Jericho takes advantage and slingshots in with a sunset flip of his own! One..! Two..! Shelton kicks out! Jericho rolls up to his feet, and looks for another enzuigiri! Shelton ducks under it and lifts Jericho up for a high angle german suplex! Shelton holds onto the waist and rolls through, looking to lift Jericho up for another but Jericho spins out, pushing Shelton to the turnbuckles for an O’Connor Roll, but Shelton holds onto the ropes! Jericho rolls off of Shelton and Shelton swings a leg at Jericho, looking for that Dragonwhip combo! But Jericho has it scouted out and drops Shelton to his back, rolling into the WALLS OF JERICHO! Jericho has it locked in tight in the middle of the ring, and Shelton’s got nowhere to go! He reaches out, on the verge of tapping out – but will he?!

We’ll never know because the referee is pulled out of the ring! By Tyson Tomko and Christian, what the hell are they doing here?!

No Contest @ 10:05

After what had potential to be a great championship match, Christian and Tomko have completely ruined it! The fans definitely aren’t happy with that as Shelton and Jericho were really starting to turn it in! Regardless, Jericho senses something is up and as he releases the Walls to look back.. Tomko flattens him with a vicious big boot to the jaw!

Christian goes over to the timekeepers area and snatches a hold of the Intercontinental Championship, sliding in. “Get him up!” Christian barks orders at Tomko, pointing to Shelton. Tomko drags Shelton up and holds the Intercontinental Champion by the arms. Christian raises the championship up and CRACKS Shelton across the face with it! Tomko tosses Shelton to the side and Christian looks around to the booing (and some cheering) crowd and smirks, blowing them a kiss and raising the Intercontinental Championship up. Despite protest from JR, King respects that Captain Charisma is stepping up and taking an opportunity for himself!

The brand new “Mr. Money In The Bank” Edge is seen roaming the hall to muffled jeers and boos from the crowd. The reactions intensify as Edge crosses paths with Lita, using her crutch to stand. For obvious reasons this prompts muffled chants towards Matt Hardy, but Edge simply tells Lita to get out of his way. She obliges, although they do stare at each other for a while.. As Edge continues walking, he’s approached by a furious Chris Benoit. Edge stops in his tracks and looks Benoit up and down with a smug look on his face. Immediately, he quips about Benoit’s bandaged arm, courtesy of him last night. “That arm alright?” Edge chuckles, looking down at Benoit. Benoit responds matter-of-factly, making it clear that his arm is hurt. That doesn’t discourage Benoit though, because he’s fought through worse. Instead, Benoit’s focus is on a match with Edge TONIGHT. “No chairs, no ladders. Just me and you in that ring!” Benoit asserts to Edge. Edge looks at Benoit’s bum arm and chuckles. “You’re on.” He says, turning and walking off.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Match Two:
Singles Match
Molly Holly vs. Victoria

Already at commentary for this match is the current Women’s Champion, Trish Stratus who wastes no time bigging up her victory over Christy Hemme last night, and her thoughts on both former women’s champions.

Molly Holly and Victoria have tons of history, and they waste no time getting into it for this match. Still holding resentment for being embarrassed and shaved bald by Victoria at WrestleMania 20, Molly Holly viciously beats down on Victoria. It takes a while, but the crowd starts to come to life for Victoria (for obvious reasons) as she’s able to mount a comeback and fight off Molly Holly. Victoria finished off a strong sequence of moves with a standing moonsault with theatrics that really riled up the crowd. In no time, all it took was for Victoria to drill Molly with the Widow’s Peak for the win and pique the interest of the Women’s Champion.

Winner: Victoria @ 3:47

A strong performance by Victoria, which Trish acknowledges – although she still isn’t impressed. Victoria celebrates the victory by playing up the slightly cheering crowd and ascends up to the top rope, pointing to Trish on the stage. Trish raises the Women’s Championship up high. “In your dreams!” She houts on the stage towards Victoria.

A teaser plays for WWE Backlash.

WWE Backlash
May 1st, 2005
Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Raw returns from break and it seems JR and King are looking forward to the next match coming up, but instead there’s a big surprise!

*BURN IN MY LIGHT*
Despite his devious acts in the build-up to WrestleMania, there’s a pop from the Los Angeles crowd as Randy Orton makes his way out from the back, as the fans believed WrestleMania was the last they’d see of him for awhile (after all, it was posted earlier today on WWE.com!) but Randy Orton is here – although he’s got a sling on the injured shoulder.

Orton does his usual entrance routine, although when he gets to the top rope he simply stands up there and looks around as he can’t raise both arms up. Orton calls for the music to cut and grabs a microphone, looking around at the crowd. Begrudgingly, Orton admits that last night he was humbled by The Undertaker. Orton says he put his all in the ring last night and says it still wasn’t enough. He makes it clear to say after Undertaker kicked out of the RKO, he thought he had him with using the Tombstone Piledriver, but his past injury to his shoulder injury caught up to him at the wrong time and it gave out on him when he was this close to ending the streak.

With that down, Orton moves on to a new point. “I will be out of action for the next couple of months, but Batista..?” Orton pauses, looking around. “I hope you do retain against Triple H, because I’ve beaten you before..?” Orton moves closer to the ropes, leaning in. “And when I come back, I have no problem beating you AGAIN.” With that said, Orton is finished and despite the shoulder injury putting him out of action for a while.. He has sent a clear message to Batista that he’s coming for him and his World Heavyweight Championship when he returns to action.

The camera is seen in the office of Eric Bischoff, where he’s discussing with Jonathan Coachman the big money main event for Backlash between Batista & Triple H for the World Heavyweight Championship! But before the conversation can get any further, the Intercontinental Champion Shelton Benjamin storms into Bischoff’s office and he is far from happy!

“The hell?! Eric! I know you saw that!” Shelton approaches Bischoff, ranting about Christian and Tomko’s involvement in his match earlier. Bischoff tries to calm Shelton down, saying he handled it already by sending the two home for the night. However that far from pleases Shelton. “I don’t care what you did to them tonight.. What I care about is a match between me and Christian next week!” Shelton shouts, still clearly irate. Bischoff ponders the decision, as Coach quips that it does sound like a good match.. Bischoff caves in and gives Shelton what he wants, AND the Intercontinental Championship will be on the line – which Shelton has absolutely no problem with!

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

When Raw returns from the break, JR & King speak about next week’s big championship match between Shelton Benjamin and Christian for the Intercontinental Championship. They also go over what’s left on the show, including Shawn Michaels addressing the crowd, as well as tonight’s main event between Chris Benoit and Money In The Bank holder Edge, which was made earlier in the night.

Match Three:
Singles Match
Robért Conway w/ Sylvain Grenier vs. William Regal w/ Tajiri

Conway and Regal represent their teams tonight in one on one action, with their partners at ringside. The match starts off slow as Regal wrestles Conway down, Conway holds his own as he counters a couple of Regal’s holds – but eventually he’s back down on the ground as Regal works the arms and legs of Conway. Regal looks to lock in some creative submissions dating back to the World Of Sport days, but Conway has just enough wherewithal to get to the ropes every time.

Frustrated and irritated by Conway opting to run away, Regal steps to the center and beckons him on. Conway feints a collar and elbow tie-up and instead kicks Regal in the ribs, taking advantage from there. Conway is the one slowing Regal down, while Tajiri is trying to get the fans into this match – and get them on Regal’s side. It takes some effort but it works as Regal starts to fire up while locked in a tight abdominal stretch from Conway. Regal swings Conway over and tosses him with a hip toss, the trademark reversal to an abdominal stretch. Conway rises up to his feet and Regal stuns him with a pair of european uppercuts.

Regal grabs Conway and irish whips him off, grabbing ahold of him and tossing him with a capture suplex. A dazed Conway rises and Regal fires off the punches, but before he can fire up any further Sylvain Grenier hops on the apron and Regal turns, striking him off of the apron! With Regal’s attention on Grenier, Conway rises to his feet and quickly schoolboy rollups Regal, placing his feet on the middle rope! One..! Two..! Three..! Tajiri tries to attract attention to it but it’s too late!

Winner: Rob Conway @ 4:29

As soon as the bell sounds, Conway flees the ring! He and Grenier head up the ramp, nursing their wounds but they’ve got something to celebrate – Conway pinning 1/2 of the World Tag Team Champions! While JR is far from happy with the way Conway obtained victory, King made it clear that a win’s a win and La Resistance are out to reclaim their tag titles!

Regal and Tajiri try to protest the decision with the referee, as Tajiri makes it clear that Conway’s feet were on the rope, but the decision IS final and it’s time to move on with the rest of the show..

A recap of Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle from WrestleMania 21 is aired, showing some highlights from the match. It ends with Angle trapping Michaels in the Ankle Lock and forcing Michaels to tap out, despite his best attempts to withstand the pain and escape.

*SEXY BOY*

Just on cue. Shawn Michaels makes his way out and his usual happy go lucky demeanor isn’t there, although the loud positive crowd reaction does make Michaels crack a smirk. JR and King give Michaels his props, while he wasn’t able to win the interpromotional Raw vs. SmackDown matchup, he absolutely gave Kurt Angle a run for his money and even came close to victory.

With his music fading out, a somber Michaels looks around with a mic in hand and soaks in the reaction. “I appreciate it you all, I really do.. But I can’t help but feel I let a lot of people down last night, includin’ myself.” Boos follow that, the fans trying to assure HBK that he didn’t. Michaels goes on to put over Kurt Angle as one of the best wrestlers he’s ever had the pleasure of being in the ring with, but being able to defeat him meant the world to him. “But y’know what? Thanks to you all, I’m gonna get my head back on my shoulders here.” Shawn pauses, looking around. “It appears that we’ve got a new World Heavyweight Champion here – congratulations to Batista.. But it’s been long overdue since ol’ HBK tasted championship gold!” And with that said, there’s a loud pop! JR puts over Michaels vs. Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship as fireworks, meanwhile King has to be a party pooper and remind JR that it COULD be Michaels vs. Triple H!

Michaels moves on, acknowledging the match between Batista and Triple H. He says that he would love to have a rematch with Kurt Angle, but considering Backlash is a Raw exclusive PPV – he doesn’t see them crossing paths anytime soon.. “So with that said, even I’ve got to ponder.. What’s next for the Heartbreak Kid?” Shawn slowly paces around the ring. He raises the microphone to his mouth, perhaps about to answer that question, until –

*ARAB AMERICANS*

Heat immediately pours out into the building as Muhammad Hassan and his manager Daivari make their way out from the back. Michaels stares at the stage, perplexed – while JR is disgusted at the timing of Hassan’s entrance. Michaels is bothered by Hassan’s presence, although not exactly confused by why he’s here. In fact, it should be quite obvious.

Hassan enters the ring and Daivari retrieves both himself and Hassan a microphone. “Everyone around here is talking about Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania, but not the injustice that I faced last night!” Fans follow up with cheers, because they all know what happened last night – Hulk Hogan showed up! “Not only was I left off of WrestleMania despite being one of the fastest rising stars this company has seen recently, but Los Angeles showed its expected discrimination by cheering on Hulk Hogan beating down Daivari and I!” The boos for Hassan’s initial speech shift to cheers because the fans have NO shame in cheering on Hassan being beat down! Hassan looks down in disgust while Michaels smirks. Hassan looks at Michaels, questioning if this is funny to him. He questions if the racism and prejudice that Hassan and Daivari have faced since being in the WWE is truly funny to him. Before Michaels can even answer, Hassan cuts him off to even more boos from the crowd.

“Exactly what I expected from you, HBK! But you know what.. No longer will Daivari and I allow you and these people to step over us! No longer will we sit out anymore PPV events!” Hassan pauses, looking around to the booing crowd. “Because you ask what’s next for you..” And then Daivari strikes Shawn Michaels! Michaels wobbles and Hassan drops the microphone, and it’s a two on one beatdown! The two corner Michaels, but it’s going to take a lot more than that! Michaels fights off the two, and fires off punches to both Daivari & Hassan, sending them back! Michaels grabs Daivari and tosses him over the top rope! Hassan rushes in and Michaels lights him up with chops to the chest! Michaels grabs Hassan and tries to send him off, but Hassan counters and rams Michaels into the turnbuckles. Hassan stomps Michaels’ ribs over and over in the corner and continues to rain down heavy haymakers.

Despite his intense match last night, Michaels shows endurance as he fights off Hassan and drops him with a clothesline! Michaels is feeling it now but as he looks to feed off of the crowd, Daivari slides a chair in the ring to Hassan! Hassan grabs the chair and stands up with it in hand.. And Michaels turns to a MASSIVE CHAIR SHOT TO THE HEAD! Hassan tosses the chair aside and Michaels is knocked out cold! Daivari stands over Michaels, yelling at him in Persian. Hassan extends his arms out as his theme music kicks in, much to the dismay of the fans, as well as JR and King.

As Hassan and Daivari head up the ramp, the camera pans to a bloodied Shawn Michaels in the ring, trying to recuperate after that two on one beatdown.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Raw returns from break to a backstage interview between the Women’s Champion Trish Stratus and Raw interviewer Todd Grisham. Grisham asks Trish what her thoughts are on in regards to facing Victoria for her Women’s Championship following a dominant performance by Victoria against Molly Holly earlier tonight.

The whiny Trish takes the chance to interject, complaining about Victoria and the hell that she put her through when she first came to the WWE. Although Trish has a point, Victoria is a bit crazy and she has indeed put Trish through hell, the fans are none the wiser because Trish has done very little (besides look good) to win over their favor. She makes it clear that if Victoria somehow emerges to become number one contender, she’s going to send Victoria to a psychiatric hospital where she deserves to be.

Catch SmackDown this Thursday!
The new WWE Champion, John Cena makes his first ever appearance as champion following his victory at WrestleMania 21!
You don’t wanna miss it!

Main Event:
Singles Match
Chris Benoit vs. Edge

It’s main event time, and JR documents that Benoit is looking for revenge after Edge not only stopped him when was this close to winning Money In The Bank, but also left him with the souvenir of an injured arm.

Edge and Benoit engage in a collar and elbow tie-up, and Edge immediately grabs Benoit in an arm wringer and works down on the arm. Edge spends the opening moments of the match, holding Benoit in a wrist lock and working on Benoit’s elbow. Despite the pain in Benoit’s arm, he’s still one of the best technical wrestlers in the world and finds his way free of Edge’s grasp. Benoit starts to get Edge down, but it’s hard to do so with one arm and thus Edge spins free and shoves Benoit into the turnbuckles. Edge plays it cheap by wrapping Benoit’s arm around the rope and pulling on his wrist. After a count from the referee, Edge backs off.

He approaches Benoit and Benoit lights Edge up with a knife edge chop, using the good arm. Benoit lights Edge up with another chop, and looks for a punch, but Edge kicks Benoit in the rib and grabs him. He grasps Benoit by the tights and tosses him shoulder first right into the steel post. In the early goings, Edge is in full control here as the match goes outside and Edge sends Benoit all over the ring area, into the steps, the post, the barricade. Edge ignores the boos and throws Benoit in for the cover. One..! Two..! Benoit raises his good shoulder up. Frustrated, Edge grabs Benoit up in an armbar and wrenches on Benoit’s chin. After some rallying from the crowd, Benoit rolls over and starts swinging elbows to the ribs of Edge. Benoit spins free and tosses Edge off of him.

Benoit drops Edge with a clothesline using the good arm, and Edge rises. Benoit drops Edge with another one! Edge swings for him and Benoit ducks, hooking Edge’s ribs and lifting him for a german suplex! The pain in Benoit’s arm is ringing as he slowly rolls with Edge in his grasps, but it hurts too bad to go for another, and Edge spins free and hooks Benoit by the chin, slamming him down with the Edge-O-Matic! Edge looks for the cover! One..! Two..! Benoit kicks out once again! Frustrated, Edge rolls Benoit over and grabs the injured arm, firmly locking in a hammerlock. It seems Benoit is trapped as Edge continues to work him down.

The fans start to come alive as Benoit slowly rises up to his feet, grabbing Edge and rolling him over his shoulder! Edge turns to Benoit and Benoit drops him with a back elbow. Benoit shakes out his bad arm, leaning on the ropes in pain as Edge slowly rises to his feet, his bell rung from that elbow. He charges into Benoit and using just the good arm, Benoit sends him over with a back body drop! Edge takes his time rising to his feet, while Benoit hits off of the ropes – full steam ahead! SUICIDE DIVE! Benoit risking it all in this matchup, although that may have hurt him more than Edge! Both men are down for some time, and it’s not until the referee’s count of nine that they enter.

Seeing the writing on the wall, Benoit quickly grabs Edge's arm for the Crossface, but Edge tugs on Benoit’s injured arm and twists him into a front facelock. Edge looks for the Edgecution, but Benoit breaks free and trips Edge onto his back. Benoit grabs Edge by the legs and slowly twists into the Sharpshooter! It’s about time Edge get a taste of his own medicine with a submission, but Benoit has to release the hold because of the pain in his arm! He just can’t squeeze on Edge’s legs! Benoit tries his hardest to shake out the pain in his arm, and turns to pull Edge up who gouges him in the eyes! This prompts boos and a negative reaction from JR on commentary, as Edge hoists Benoit up for the EDGECUTION! Edge rolls Benoit over and covers him! One..! Two..! T– Benoit kicks out! Edge looks at the referee, yelling. What the hell is it going to take to put Benoit down?!

Edge is up and backs into the corner, running his hands through his hair. He crouches up and down, waiting on Benoit to get up to his feet.. Benoit is up and EDGE CHARGES INTO THE SPEAR– NOO! Benoit moves out of the way and sends Edge crashing face first into the middle turnbuckle! Edge bounces out of the corner, dazed as Benoit pulls him down with a schoolboy rollup!

ONE!

TWO!

EDGE KICKS OUT!

Benoit shakes out that arm, slow to get to his feet after all the pain he’s faced. He grabs onto Edge’s waist, but Edge holds onto the middle rope for dear life! After some fighting, Benoit FINALLY yanks Edge off of the rope, but the force and power needed for that just hurt his arm even more! Benoit has no choice but to release the hold, nursing at the arm. And as he returns to focus, he turns to a SPEAR FROM EDGE! Edge wastes no time, covering Benoit!

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

Winner: Edge @ 13:19

And just like that, “Mr. Money In The Bank” leaves tonight with the victory! JR says it was a valiant effort from Benoit, but admits that he probably should have taken the night off. King wastes no time to put Edge over, but disgust immediately enters the voice of JR because Edge isn’t finished!

Edge finishes celebrating his victory and walks over, mounting Benoit and beating him down with punches. “You wanted this!” Edge yells. He continues to beat down Benoit, shouting at him to never mess with him and disrespect him again. Edge rises off of Benoit and picks up his Money In The Bank briefcase, staring at it. He turns to Benoit and calls for him to get up!

*SLOW CHEMICAL*

“Now wait just a minute!”
JR yells on commentary. Things have picked up! Another man who was in the Money In The Bank match, Kane marches down to the ring – although his problems with Edge clearly aren’t from the match last night.. JR says that Kane may have taken offense to Edge’s encounter with his wife, Lita, earlier and he’s looking to take care of that!

Edge stutter steps, not sure what to do! He certainly wasn’t expecting Kane to be out here tonight, but he’s got an equalizer, his briefcase! Kane enters the apron and climbs into the ring and the moment Kane gets in, Edge charges in with the briefcase in hand! And as Edge swings for the fences.. He’s IMMEDIATELY dropped with a big boot by Kane! Kane watches Edge hit the mat and raises his hand up, calling for Edge to rise.. He smells blood in the water!

Edge gets up to his feet and realizes Kane is looking for the chokeslam and drops out of the ring, taking his briefcase with him! Edge wobbles up the ramp, nearly falling onto his ass. Edge holds the briefcase close to his chest as he realizes one little encounter may have just led for hell to pay on Raw! Kane stands tall in the ring, summoning hellfire from the ring posts! Kane’s theme music plays as JR writes us off for the night.

Last edited:

Joey Bananas

Reaction score
Rewatching this era on the Network currently and I've always had a soft spot for it because it's when I started watching so I'm absolutely loving this so far. Interested to see what you do with Edge and the first ever Money in the Bank.

Order

Send HOOK
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Right, as promised I will be following this so here goes my first comment on your RAW after WrestleMania show my friend.

-Opening with Batista and HHH – Not too much to say here except for I thought you got both characters down well and I could have imagined this confrontation and little war of words happening for sure in real life. It seems this issue between the two of them is far from done and I think that is fine as another win for Batista will only solidify him as the main event star he already now is.

-Christian spoiling IC Title match – On the one hand, I am all for a new challenger emerging in Christian but the thing I hated was the fact you did the no contest to launch the attack which kind of made the match seem pointless in many ways. I would have much rather been given a finish to show that results matter and then you could have had Christian and Tomko come out to attack. It is the thing I most hate in wrestling.

-Routine Victoria win – Not much to say here but just a nice, routine win for Victoria who was always one of my favourites because she was very good in the ring. I’m all in if she is the next challenger to try and dethrone Trish Stratus.

-Orton’s message – Nice little promo to put Batista on notice if he retains his title that he will be coming for him in a couple of months. I always like when someone who is injured and needs some time away sets a target for when they are back. It keeps them subconsciously relevant I think.

-La Resistance cheating – This was completely fine, a simple cheating to win victory which makes Regal and Tajiri mad and sets up the next challengers for the gold. I did feel the tag team were weak during this period so I hope you can either bring some in or put a couple together to add depth to the division.

-Hassan next for HBK – This segment was very simple but simple is always the most effective. I always felt the Hassan/Daivari gimmick had some legs for a bit on arrival. Very similar to others over the years. Rusev comes to mind, for example. The brutal attack with the chair shot to bloody Michaels immediately makes this a big issue so I fully expect them to collide at Backlash. I sort of feel Hassan has to go over and what you decide to do will make it clear whether you see him as a big deal going forwards or not.

-Main event and Kane aftermath – I really enjoyed this and this is what I mean by having the result to the match and then shooting the angle afterwards. This Edge character when he had the Money in the Bank briefcase for the first time was one of my favourites so I really hope you book him just as well. Kane coming in for a feud is a good first step and I’m glad he beat Benoit. No issues with him being in this BTB but I am guessing he may not be that prominent. Enjoyable main event and aftermath!

Overall, a really solid first show following Mania and I have no doubt it will take some time to change some of the directions you want to go in as it always does. I think so far your instincts are good though so I’m intrigued to see what happens. Good work!

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
0kJF12i9mJBosnQeHthzXBWnz4Dto-4eEZu1Wcfnbvu8MDqf0QnhncGDmHt-Gg4pN-aDJLgBGjFGSeStrCgWucTQegGyqPEX64YyGSlOkit2y5wwHHV6Qfq8RIqiZidh-1Ju2DsKhUPb_eYeCrtPvgRdgsX_VfR-iMqq2nnHiTIVJakACO5HdRlwMJ8Srg

Thursday Night SmackDown
April 7, 2005
San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, California

The first sight that fans see is John Cena arriving at the backstage area, with the WWE Championship on his shoulder which is followed with a huge ovation from the crowd. Cena is blinged out, per usual as he greets backstage workers and face midcarders with respect. Cena doesn’t get too far as he’s greeted by SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long. “How you doin’, playa?” Teddy asks, to which Cena smirks. “Feelin’ great, Teddy. After all.. THE CHAMP! IS! HERE!” Cena pats the WWE Championship and Teddy nods his head to Cena. Teddy tells Cena he’s not going to waste his time and will allow him to enjoy the rest of the night – although there’s something he must alert him on. Over the next couple of weeks, there will be an eight man tournament to determine the number one contender for the WWE Championship at Judgment Day! Cena smirks and tells Teddy he’ll be watching closely, and to bring on the challenge.

The SmackDown intro plays, as Michael Cole and Taz go over tonight’s episode of SmackDown, including the number one contendership tournament for the WWE Championship. As Cole and Taz speak about the match, the tournament matches display on the screen:

Booker T vs. John Bradshaw Layfield
Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio
Big Show vs. Carlito
Eddie Guerrero vs. Paul London

With that said, Cole and Taz tell fans to go nowhere because the tournament begins up next!

Match One:
WWE Championship Number One Contendership Tournament Round One
Big Show vs. Carlito

As soon as the bell rings, Carlito is immediately wary of stepping in with The Big Show. He leans under the ropes, avoiding Big Show from getting to him. Frustrated, Big Show calls Carlito on and as soon as Carlito gets off of the ropes, he rolls out of the ring and runs away. The first minute of this match is a game of cat and mouse, but the moment Big Show enters the ring, Carlito is waiting for him in the ring and takes advantage with some stomps to the head. Carlito tries to beat down Big Show, but Big Show fights him off.

Big Show overpowers Carlito, tossing him around the ring and squashing him in the corner. Carlito once again flees throughout the match, and Big Show follows after him and tosses him all over the ringside area. Big Show chokes Carlito and looks for a chokeslam on the outside, but Carlito kicks Big Show in the ribs repeatedly. Big Show wobbles, and Carlito throws some punches, looking for an irish whip. When Big Show stands his ground, Carlito releases and looks to run away. Big Show charges after Carlito, and Carlito ducks under and shoves Big Show face first into the ring post. Big Show wobbles back and Carlito again sends some clubbing blows, not doing much damage to Big Show.

The action continues into the ring and Carlito does his absolute best to get Big Show off of his tail, and Big Show drops him with a massive big boot. Instead of going for the kill, Big Show decides to play with Carlito to make up for all the running he’s done in this match. After some loud, blistering open hand chops to the chest of Carlito – Big Show is looking for the finish now. He calls Carlito up, and Carlito becomes aware and grabs SmackDown referee Brian Hebner, throwing into Big Show’s way! Big Show tries to catch Hebner and move him aside, but he’s just too damn strong and sends the referee down to the ground!

Carlito rolls out, and an even more irritated Big Show follows him out to the ring.. But as he gets to Carlito, Carlito has already run to the timekeeper’s area! That doesn’t stop Big Show, but Carlito has got a steel chair and SMACKS BIG SHOW OVER THE HEAD! Big Show falls against the post, still up! Carlito looks at Big Show in shock.. And so, HE CRACKS HIM OVER THE HEAD AGAIN! Big Show topples down, his head leaning against the post. Carlito looks at the half bent chair and SMASHES BIG SHOW’S HEAD INTO THE POST! Big Show topples down to the mat, he’s knocked out cold! Carlito drops the chair and rolls in, shaking Brian Hebner and points to the outside of the ring. Hebner begins the count, and Big Show is not moving at all! Time passes by, and the referee is at seven now!

EIGHT!

NINE!

BIG SHOW SHOWS SIGNS OF LIFE…

BUT IT’S TOO LATE!

TEN!

Winner: Carlito @ 7:26 - Advancing to Semi-Finals

Carlito has advanced to the semi-finals of the number one contendership tournament, albeit by countout! While Michael Cole expresses his displeasure with the way Carlito won, Taz plays devil’s advocate by saying how else can you beat a guy like The Big Show?!

Big Show is being attended to by doctors and referees, as those trio of chair shots banged him up pretty bad. As Carlito celebrates his win on the stage, Michael Cole reminds those watching at home that Carlito will be meeting the winner of next week’s match between WWE Tag Team Champion Eddie Guerrero and WWE Cruiserweight Champion Paul London in the semi-finals of the tournament. Before SmackDown goes to break, the camera pans back to a pissed off Big Show, having finally come back to his senses and realizing what just happened.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Speaking of Eddie Guerrero, the camera's focus on him tying his boots in his locker room. And entering the locker room is his tag partner and 1/2 of the WWE Tag Team Champions, Rey Mysterio! Eddie rises to his feet with a big grin on his face and despite their match at WrestleMania 21 where Rey prevailed – the two dap each other up. “Ese! Big tournament, for thee both of us!” He smirks to Rey, as the two briefly discuss their matchups in the tournament and wish one another luck.

Rey tells Eddie not to take Paul London, not only is he tough but he’s also the WWE Cruiserweight Champion. “Wasn’t thinkin’ of it, homes.. But you and Angle..?” Before Eddie can finish, Rey cuts him off. “Don’t worry ‘bout me, carnal. I got somethin’ to prove myself!” Rey pats his chest. “And that’s beatin’ Kurt Angle in front of my people, here in the 6! 1! 9!” Eddie rises to his feet and after some thinking, gives Rey a nod of approval.

The two shake hands once again and Eddie wishes Rey luck one more time. “And ese, before you go? I want it to be me.. And you, in the finals.” Eddie smirks to Rey. “Eddie, you know I want the same thing.” Rey responds, and the two depart their separate ways.

Match Two:
Singles Match
Chavo Guerrero vs. Funaki

As reminded by commentary and a pre-match video package, on the SmackDown before WrestleMania 21, Chavo Guerrero lost his cruiserweight championship in an eight man battle royal where everyone in the match ganged up on him and eliminated him.

Obviously pissed off from that, Chavo immediately drops Funaki with a vicious clothesline. Chavo drags Funaki up and throws him face first into the turnbuckles repeatedly, and transitions to a plethora of punches and stomps to a vulnerable Funaki. Despite the protests of Charles Robinson, Chavo breaks away before the count of five just to continue his onslaught.

It’s a straight mugging as a rightfully upset Chavo slams Funaki, beats him down, and with his job done he finishes Funaki off with the Gory Bomb! Chavo rolls Funaki over, pinning him. One..! Two..! Three..! That’s it!

Winner: Chavo Guerrero @ 1:14

Chavo is declared the victor, but you can tell that a win over Funaki simply isn’t enough for him. He takes to ringside and demands for a microphone, which he gets. Not only does Chavo scream injustice about the way he lost his WWE Cruiserweight Championship, but he’s also got a bone to pick with the new champion, Paul London. “Not only does that twerp win my championship without beating me, but you mean to tell me he’s in an opportunity to contend for the WWE Championship?!” Chavo is angered, and what makes him even more mad is the fans cheering that statement!

They agree with the sentiment that Theodore Long should be giving Paul London a chance to hang with the big dogs here on SmackDown! “Are you all kidding me?! I have taken the cruiserweight division to new heights, and this is what I get?!” Chavo isn’t finished. “So after you fail to do something I’ve done – beat Eddie Guerrero.. I’m taking my cruiserweight championship back, homes!” Chavo storms to the back, while Michael Cole and Taz discuss that message sent to the Cruiserweight Champion.

Moving on, the two discuss what else is in store for the night.. Including a big main event matchup between hometown hero Rey Mysterio and Kurt Angle as part of the WWE Championship number one contendership tournament, with both men coming off of big victories at WrestleMania 21!

For the first time tonight, the former WWE Champion, John Bradshaw Layfield is on television and the fans waste no time booing him. Joining JBL are his fellow members of The Cabinet, the WWE United States Champion Orlando Jordan and the Secretaries of Defense, Doug and Danny Basham.

The pained expression on JBL’s face could be described as painting a thousand words, as he’s clearly still coming to terms with the fact he lost his WWE Championship at WrestleMania 21 to John Cena. JBL finally speaks, and immediately he shows disgust and anger with Theodore Long’s decision not giving him his rematch and forcing him to jump through hoops in a number one contendership tournament. “But you know what, boys? I’m going to make this the BIGGEST mistake Teddy Long has ever made..” Jordan and the Bashams listen in closely to what their boss has got to say. “Every single man I face in this tournament? I am TAKING them out! Everyone that stands in my way of becoming WWE Champion, I’m disposing of them!” But JBL stops there, directing his attention to The Cabinet. He makes it clear to them that now is not the time for games, and they better be there to ensure he wins the tournament and regains his WWE Championship, or there will indeed be grave, grave consequences..

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

SmackDown returns from commercial break and at standby with interviewer Steve Romero is the brand new WWE Cruiserweight Champion, Paul London. Romero asks London what his mindset is going into what may just be the biggest match of his career next week, facing Eddie Guerrero in round one of the number one contendership tournament. London says that he’s both excited for the match, but also anxious because he’s never received an opportunity like this. “I have immense respect for Eddie Guerrero. He’s a great wrestler, but I cannot squander this opportunity.”

London also goes on to say to him, this is about legitimizing the cruiserweight division and his reign by showing he can contend for the WWE Championship. Romero goes on to ask London about his thoughts on another Guerrero, Chavo’s comments about him earlier. “My focus just isn’t on Chavo, right now.” London bluntly says. He thanks Romero for the interview and heads off, walking out of frame.

Match Three:
Tag Team Match
Charlie Haas & Hardcore Holly vs. Luther Reigns & Mark Jindrak

Charlie Haas and Hardcore Holly’s team finds their way on Smackdown, as they face off with the team of Luther Reigns and Mark Jindrak, once bound to one another through their alliance with Kurt Angle. Starting the match is Holly and Jindrak, which the former lights Jindrak up with some chops and punches. Holly tags in Haas and the two send Jindrak flying with a double hip toss.

Haas takes control from there, using some unorthodox wrestling takedowns to ground Jindrak. Haas does mess with him a bit for the entertainment of the crowd, using a gator roll to take Jindrak off of his game. Frustrated, Jindrak runs to the ropes to force the referee to get Haas off of his back. Haas lets Jindrak recuperate, but instead he tags in Luther Reigns. Despite Haas’s best attempts to floor the big man, the much stronger and bigger Luther Reigns drops Haas. He works the back of Haas, and it becomes a back and forth affair where Reigns and Jindrak tag in and out to work Haas down.

Jindrak is back in control as he grounds Haas with a chin lock, driving his knee into the back of Jindrak. With the fans naturally getting behind Haas and Holly, Haas is able to fight off and make the hot tag to Holly! Holly enters the ring and floors Jindrak with a clothesline, and stuns Reigns who re-enters the ring with an inverted atomic drop. With Reigns stunned, Holly nails a beautiful standing dropkick and Reigns flies through the middle rope. Jindrak takes this opportunity to grab Holly and lift him up for the Mark Of Excellence – but Holly spins out and lifts Jindrak up instead! Alabama Slam! Holly covers Jindrak, and Haas enters the ring to make sure Luther Reigns doesn’t! One..! Two..! Three..! Impressive victory for Haas and Holly!

Winners: Charlie Haas & Hardcore Holly @ 6:09

A solid victory for Haas and Holly, and Taz remarks that once Guerrero and Mysterio are done contending for the WWE Championship, they may very well be in for trouble with these two. Cole applauds Haas and Holly for the efforts they’ve made as a team recently, and they’ve managed to get along well. Haas and Holly celebrate the win and receive a solid reaction from the crowd, who are often behind the veteran Holly.

It seems there’s going to be a transition into what’s next for the show, but instead the camera cuts to the backstage area! With his gym bag in hand, Carlito is running towards the parking lot. But it all makes sense when the camera pans to Big Show sporting a bandage on the side of his face in the distance, hurriedly going after Carlito! “CARLITO! BRING YOUR ASS OVER HERE!” Big Show yells, marching after Carlito. Carlito looks back in fear, turning ahead and continuing to run. “WE AIN’T DONE! WHERE YOU GOING?!”

Finally, Carlito is in the parking lot and fumbles with his keys, entering the car. Big Show rushes over and bangs on the door, but Carlito speeds off just in time! Big Show yells, pissed off that Carlito cheated to beat him and got away scot free tonight! He shouts unintelligible at the car speeding away, as SmackDown cuts away..

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

SmackDown returns from commercial break and it’s time for the main event! The tournament to determine John Cena’s opponent at Judgment Day continues on!

Main Event:
WWE Championship Number One Contendership Tournament Round One
Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio

It’s an electric crowd here in San Diego, as they’re heavily behind the hometown hero, Rey Mysterio! Kurt is looking to derail that momentum of Rey quickly, going for him – but Rey slides through his legs! Kurt turns to him and Rey fires off some stiff kicks to the thighs of Kurt. Kurt winces in pain, reaching at his thighs. Rey looks for another one but Kurt reaches his hand down to catch the ankle. Kurt starts to crank on the ankle and twist it, but Rey kicks him off! Rey is up and once again goes for the legs of the bigger Angle. Rey sees an opportunity and rushes to the ropes to build momentum, but Kurt sends him flying with a kitchen sink!

Rey holds his ribs, wheezing. Kurt drags Rey up and punches him hard in the stomach. He irish whips Rey off and tosses him with a vicious overhead belly to belly suplex! Kurt floats on top of Rey for the cover. One..! Two..! Rey gets a shoulder up right after two. Kurt pulls Rey up and holds onto the wrist. He kicks Rey hard in the ribs, and pulls him into another kick to the ribs. Kurt once again irish whips Rey off and this time he lifts him up for a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker! Kurt holds onto Rey, holding him onto his knee and stretching him out. Kurt plants his hand firmly on the chin of Rey, leaning Rey’s head back while pulling on the knees of Rey. Kurt digs his knee into the center of Rey’s back, causing all types of pain to every part of Rey’s body. Kurt starts to fishhook Rey and get a finger in his mouth, causing Charles Robinson to demand a break of the hold.

Kurt reluctantly breaks it off and grabs Rey, tossing him into the turnbuckles. The fans are trying to root behind the San Diego native, but Kurt takes the opportunity to work Rey down from here. Stretching Rey out with various submissions and going after Rey’s back, Rey is really struggling to find any type of offense here. With the fans rallying behind him, Rey starts to fight off Kurt's grasps. He fires a left hook into Kurt’s side, and then a right hook. Kurt wobbles, and irish whips Rey off out of desperation. But what Kurt doesn’t see coming is a tilt–a-whirl DDT from Rey! Both men are down and out, while Rey is clutching at that hurt back. Eventually they rise and Kurt tries to fire off a punch, but Rey ducks under and leaps up the middle rope for a springboard crossbody! Immediate cover! One..! Two..! Kurt tosses Rey off!

Despite this, Rey is up to his feet waiting on Kurt, and the kicks to the legs follow! Kurt falls against the ropes, writhing in pain. He’s starting to get pissed and throws a punch at Rey, but Rey is able to block it and stun Kurt with his own! Rey bounces off the middle rope for momentum, and leaps into Kurt in wheelbarrow position! But Kurt holds on – WHEELBARROW GERMAN SUPLEX! Rey is out and Kurt rises to his feet, dusting his hands off. Opting not to go for the cover, Kurt instead drags Rey up and clubs at the back repeatedly. Kurt hooks the waist and tosses Rey with another overhead german suplex!

Proud of his handiwork, Kurt smirks and tells the San Diego crowd to shut their mouth. This follows immediately with boos, but Angle is focused on Rey. It’s taken him some time to capitalize on the pain Rey is in, and Rey pulls him down into a desperation inside cradle! One..! Two..! Kurt kicks out just in time! Rey is slow to get up though meanwhile Kurt is already up. Kurt gives Rey a swift kick to the ribs and backs up, looking to clothesline him over – but Rey drops down and pulls the top rope! Kurt spills to the floor! Rey rises up to his feet and wills himself to the ropes, bouncing off into a high-risk TOPE CON HILO!

The crowd lose their minds on that as both Angle and Rey are putting it all on the line here! Rey rises to his feet, dazed. He drags Kurt up and throws him in the ring. Rey slowly climbs up the steps and waits for Angle to rise. Rey grabs onto the ropes and springboards up, looking for a hurricanrana– no! Kurt holds onto Rey and pushes him off, flipping Rey off of his shoulders, but he LANDS! Kurt charges into Rey, shocked; and Rey dropkicks Kurt in the knee! Kurt tumbles forward and falls throat first into the middle rope. He coughs, struggling for air as Rey rises to his feet and twirls his finger, dialing it up.. Rey bounces off the ropes and here it comes 61-ANGLE CATCHES THE ANKLE! Rey squirms, trying to get free! Kurt yanks Rey back into the ring and he GETS THE ANKLE LOC– Rey rolls forward!

Kurt loses hold of the ankle lock, and he tumbles into the middle rope again! Rey rises and once again looks for the 619! Angle ducks his head down and Rey swings into the ring through the middle rope, stumbling forward. Kurt is up to his feet and grasps hold of Rey’s waist! Looking for that german suplex! But in mid air, Rey is able to wrap his legs around Angle’s waist and toss him into the middle rope! Angle is completely caught off guard as Rey hits the ropes and FINALLY HITS THE 619! Angle tumbles off the middle rope, into Charles Robinson who has his attention fully directed to Angle.

Meanwhile, Rey grabs the ropes and springboards up – and he’s yanked off the top rope! Rey tumbles off the top rope and the apron, and the camera pans up to two tan men with long hair and fur coats on. They stomp out Rey, while Kurt has realized the situation and is purposely keeping Charles Robinson away from turning to the ring. Egging them on is a woman with dirty blonde hair – and for those that pay attention to OVW, the trio beating on Rey is Johnny Nitro, Joey Matthews, and Melina.

Finally, Nitro and Matthews pick up Rey and throw him in the ring. Kurt pushes past Charles Robinson and disregards the booing San Diego crowd – lifting up Rey and planting him into the mat with the ANGLE SLAM! Kurt covers Rey!

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

Winner: Kurt Angle @ 15:18

Much to the dismay of the fans, Kurt Angle has defeated Rey Mysterio in his hometown, and it’s all thanks to the trio at ringside! While ringside remarks that Kurt Angle will be moving on to face the winner of John Bradshaw Layfield and Booker T, they can’t help but also try and figure out who just attacked Rey and why?!

Kurt rolls out of the ring, side-eying the trio while making his way to the back, continuing to celebrate the ring. Nitro and Matthews enter the ring and continue to beat down on Rey, while Melina gets in and shouts insults at Rey, also telling the booing San Diego crowd to shut up..

*VIVA LA RAZA*
But help is on the way! Eddie Guerrero charges down to the ring to save his tag team partner! Nitro and Matthews watch Eddie come down and smirk, rolling out. Melina follows after the two, and the damage has been done.

Eddie checks on Rey and calls for the crowd to give it up for their hometown boy, which they do. While Rey is disappointed that he lost here, he has no reason to hang his head low – considering he may very well have had the match won if he wasn’t screwed out of it. The scene of Eddie trying to uplift Rey shows before the break, while Matthews, Nitro, and Melina are pleased with their handiwork.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

SmackDown returns from break, and…

*THE TIME IS NOW*

The WWE Champion is in the house! What a big pop for John Cena as he wastes no time coming down to the ring, tagging all of the fans and embracing them. Cena enters the ring and raises the WWE Championship up high to a huge ovation. As Cena’s music dies out, Cena grabs a microphone and looks around to the crowd.

“SAN DIEGO, MAKE SOME NOOOIISEE!” Cena yells – and they sure as hell make some noise! He has a big smile on his face as he looks at the crowd. Cena proudly speaks about defying the odds and becoming the WWE Champion at WrestleMania 21, and addresses the number one contenders tournament. “Now I got nothin’ but respect for ALL of the men in that tournament, even JBL.” Cena raises an eyebrow as the fans boo, but he can’t blame them. “But I WORKED for this!” Cena looks over, referring to the WWE Championship on his shoulder. “And I tell ‘ya what, it’ll be a cold day in hell ‘fore I lose this.. Because San Diego, THE CHAMP! IS HEEEREEE!” The crowd cheers that on for Cena and he paces around the ring.

John Cena says that this title means the world to him, and he wants to carry on tradition – albeit in a different manner. Cena says tonight is the LAST night you see the current WWE Championship design, because it’s about time for SmackDown to get in with the times and he’s got a brand new one in store! “With that said, it’s time for a change here in the WWE.” Cena nods his head, looking around. “No more are y’all gettin’ the same old, same old. I’m not here for the money, I’m not here for myself, I’M HERE BECAUSE I LOVE THIS, AND I LOVE ALL OF Y’ALL!” Cena’s passion and intensity comes out to the fans who are fully behind him now! “So it don’t matter WHO I face at Judgment Day, in fact, it don’t matter who I face AT ALL!” Cena paces around, wiping his mouth. “Because San Diego?! THE CHAMP! IS! HEEEEEAAREEEEE!” Cena raises his WWE Championship up high, as his theme kicks in.

Cena rolls out and tags the fans as Cole and Taz bring up the admirable words from the WWE Champion and what this means for SmackDown as the show comes to an end.

Last edited:

Order

Send HOOK
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Right my friend here goes my comment on your first episode of SmackDown. I am looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

-The tournament - I love this as an idea and I love tournaments, so much so I have to stop myself from making too many in my BTB so that is it realistic. The eight participants are really interesting and I love the inclusion of Paul London in particular. I hope this means he may get some sort of push coming up. Without knowing what the bracket is I like the idea of Kurt Angle winning.

-Carlito beating Big Show - Looks like you are set on making new stars and I am all for it. It might have been a countout win but they all count although it makes me think it is more likely he will take on Eddie Guerrero rather than Paul London as you revealed the graphic. I am intrigued to find out.

-Chavo Guerrero and the Cruiserweight division - One of the biggest things I see in BTBs is the Cruiserweight Championship actually meaning something and the same looks like it might be happening here. The promo from Chavo Guerrero was great and I am fine with Paul London losing I think now (I know, what a U-turn), as it makes more sense to have him help the Cruiserweight division for now.

-Haas and Hardcore - I like these two as a team. I always think contrast works and you have the amateur background and technical skills of Haas meshing with the brawling, rough nature of Hardcore Holly. I hope they stay as a team and get some serious momentum as the tag team scene was pretty threadbare during this period, especially with two sets of titles.

-Angle's win and debut of MNM - I enjoyed this and I was glad that Angle is the man progressing in the tournament. I was okay with the dusty finish for this as well, not my usual taste, because you debuted a new trio and have tried to make a real impact with them. Eddie making the save immediately sets up a tag team match which signals to me Eddie isn't winning the tournament. I'm just wondering why you changed Mercury to Matthews? I'm imagining there is a reason.

-Cena closing promo - There was nothing too remarkable about this and for that reason, I would have swapped the last two segments and had the match close the show rather than this promo. I'm looking forward to the new belt, I imagine you're just going with the spinner to mirror real life which I have no issues with.

I really enjoyed this show and I think I am more invested in SmackDown with the likes of Angle, Rey, Eddie and Cena involved who were always my favourites when I was growing up. Really interested to see what direction you go with the blue brand in the coming weeks.

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
EALZme9LHcPgl7laP5GY3SZGi38vXBX0PedZFfRxxqWimvH_OQ9x-W_Iv7klvwKP8ZsXestlHxeyzMsNVjruSBOG1WopA2BloDkm3Ng6LGtJDI6Sl2E9E_Zc2eN4UWHFV2mUqEUM89VxznkuKTpbC1IhMqIJzhCZnirv4oCJQJLILB2Kt3sFYzNv7nm4aw

Monday Night RAW
April 11, 2005
Mark Of The Quad in Moline, Illinois

Raw’s opening plays with pyro booming off the stage as Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler welcome us to Monday Night Raw. They go over WWE Backlash which is 3 weeks away, and how they can only imagine what else will be added to the card. The focus is now put on tonight’s lineup, including Shawn Michaels versus Daivari following Michaels being ambushed by Daivari and Muhammad Hassan, Triple H taking on The Hurricane ahead of his World Heavyweight Championship match with Batista, and tonight’s main event for the Intercontinental Championship between champion Shelton Benjamin and the challenger, Christian.

And with that said, it’s time to get into the first match of the night!

Match One:
Singles Match
Daivari w/ Muhammad Hassan vs. Shawn Michaels

Despite Hassan barking orders at ringside, Daivari clearly is not thrilled with the idea of going one on one with The Showstopper. Despite this, he has no choice as Michaels eggs him on into a collar and elbow tie-up. Michaels wastes no time playing with Daivari, tossing him down to the ground. Daivari stares at Michaels, both shell shocked and embarrassed.

Daivari rises to his feet and shouts at Michaels in Farsi, and charges him! Michaels ducks under and fires off some punches to the chin of Daivari. Michaels grabs Daivari by the wrist and sends him up and over with a back body drop. From here, Michaels dominates the bulk of the match – Daivari only getting offense following a distraction to Michaels by Muhammad Hassan.

As Michaels fights off Daivari and gets back into this match, Hassan tries to get Daivari out of the ring – but referee Mike Chioda has had enough of Hassan and stops him from getting involved anymore, ejecting him from the match! Both Daivari and Hassan freak out, as a winded Daivari is pleading with the referee to keep Hassan at ringside, while Hassan is once again screaming about the injustice here on Raw. As Hassan reluctantly turns to go up to the ramp after being advised to do so by other officials.. Daivari turns around himself.. INTO A SWEET CHIN MUSIC! Michaels drops down and covers Daivari! One! Two! Three!

Winner: Shawn Michaels @ 4:54

Shawn Michaels is your victor in the first match of the night, and he gets some measure of revenge by kicking Daivari’s teeth down his throat! Shawn raises his arms up in celebration, but Muhammad Hassan has made his way back down to the ring and he strikes Shawn in the back! Hassan stomps Shawn out and yells remarks that the camera can’t pick up on him.

A hurt Shawn tries to cover up, but Hassan rolls him over and mounts him with some heavy and vicious punches to the forehead. Michaels tries his best to make his way up, but Hassan yanks Michaels up and plants him into the mat with a brutal Reverse STO. Hassan stares down at Michaels and raises his hands up high, cueing his theme music. Hassan storms over and yanks Daivari up, as the two make their way to the back – Hassan pleased with his handiwork for the second week in a row.

Following the first match of the night, Raw is greeted by interviewer Todd Grisham backstage, who introduces his guest at this time – the World Heavyweight Champion himself, Batista!

A big pop for the World Heavyweight Champion as he enters frame. Todd Grisham’s first question is asking Batista what his thoughts are on facing Triple H at Backlash and if he’s afraid if Triple H will come back stronger than ever, like he has before. Batista chuckles, looking down to Grisham. “Well, Todd. Let me put it to you like this. Every time Triple H has come back ‘stronger’, it has always been thanks to Evolution.” Batista says, continuing on. “Whether it be Randy, Naitch, or me.. Triple H always had someone at his side. But now, there’s no Randy, there’s no me. All he has is Naitch and while he may remain loyal to Triple H, I still respect the hell outta ‘em and I hope for his sake, he stays out of the action at Backlash.” It seems that Batista is going to continue on about Triple H, but he stops himself. “..Before I continue, speaking of Randy. I hear he’s gunning for me when he returns from injury. If that’s the case, rest up well Randy, heal that shoulder up all the way to 100%.. Because this World Heavyweight Championship is going NOWHERE.”

What follows is a big pop for Batista. He focuses back on Triple H, saying he’s ready for any type of “game” Triple H wants to play at Backlash. But speaking of Backlash, Batista wants to raise the stakes.. “Not only do I set out to beat Triple H a second time in a row, but at Backlash I want it to not just be memorable, but I want it to be a fight.. Triple H, I challenge you to NO. HOLDS. BARRED!” Batista looks around, smirking as he can hear the crowd’s reaction for that proposal – even from the back. But before Batista can continue, he tilts his sunglasses down. When the camera pans over, Batista’s reaction makes a lot more sense when it’s “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair standing across from him, wheeling and dealing only in a way the Nature Boy can! Batista can’t help but show a smirk on his face when Flair stands across from him. “Dave! I know we’ve had our differences, but I can’t help but give you your props, WOO!” Flair looks at the World Heavyweight Championship on Batista’s shoulder and pats it. “‘Ya look good with it, YOU DO!” But Flair stops there.

He tells Batista out of respect for him and with great admiration for what he’s accomplished recently, defending the World Heavyweight Championship against Triple H at Backlash in a No Holds Barred match is one of the dumbest decisions he could make. Batista looks at Ric and chuckles. “I know you think you’re doing this out of the kindness of your heart, Ric.. But out of respect for you, I’m telling you that I don’t need you to warn me about anything involving him.” Batista steps up, staring Flair in the eyes. “Tell Hunter that the ball’s in his court.” Batista walks off, leaving Flair with a lot to think about.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Raw returns from break and a replay of last week’s match between Robért Conway and William Regal plays, where Sylvain Grenier’s interference helped Conway defeat 1/2 of the World Tag Team Champions and put La Resistance right back in the tag title picture.

Match Two:
Singles Match
Sylvain Grenier w/ Robért Conway vs. Tajiri w/ William Regal

As the match kicks off, Jim Ross announces on commentary that with Conway’s victory over William Regal – La Resistance has been named as Tajiri and Regal’s opponent for their titles at Backlash.

Grenier and Tajiri engage in a collar and elbow tie-up and it doesn’t take very long for Tajiri to out class Grenier, much like Regal did to Conway last week. However, Tajiri isn’t as methodical with it like Regal was, and instead mixes his holds with some vicious kicks to the chest and legs. Grenier tries to quickly duck for cover, but Tajiri follows.

Sensing Tajiri behind him, Grenier is able to switch positions and send Tajiri shoulder-first into the ring post. This one mistake by Tajiri changes the trajectory early on in the match as Grenier targets that shoulder very roughly. With Regal trying to get the fans on Tajiri’s side (which doesn’t take much work), Tajiri fights off Grenier. Grenier sends a desperation knee to Tajiri’s ribs and irish whips him off, and Tajiri follows up with a handspring back elbow!

As Tajiri hits the mat, he lands hard on that bad shoulder and despite such a flashy and high risk move, it’s Grenier who gets back in control. Lawler remarks that if Regal and Tajiri want to keep their titles, Regal needs to smarten Tajiri up a little bit more – which JR takes as offensive on Tajiri’s behalf. Grenier is desperate to continue La Resistance’s momentum going into Backlash and often works the shoulder of Tajiri, and goes straight to pinfalls. Despite this, Tajiri kicks out every single time. A frustrated Grenier yells at Conway what it’s going to take to put him down, but this little moment of frustration proves to be a benefit to Tajiri who pulls Grenier down with a schoolboy rollup, the same way Conway beat Regal! One! Two! Grenier just barely kicks out!

Conway rises to the apron, trying to distract Tajiri, but Regal rushes over and yanks Conway off the apron! The two start trading punches and Chad Patton rushes over to the commotion, trying to get them to stop. In the midst of this, Grenier rushes over to grab the Quebec flag pole and pull it into the ring. Grenier swings it into Tajiri’s head – but Tajiri was waiting for him the entire time as he sprays green mist in the face of Grenier! Grenier drops the flag, shrieking in pain. He falls to a knee, trying to wipe it off, but Tajiri capitalizes with the Buzzsaw Kick! Tajiri calls over to the referee who remembers that he’s still got a match to officiate, and Tajiri wisely covers Grenier, covering the face (not like Grenier’s already doing that himself). One! Two! Three! La Resistance’s tactics backfire on them this week!

Winner: Tajiri @ 7:02

Lawler cries cheating, but JR says Grenier and Conway had it coming to them! Conway and Regal have finally stopped fighting at ringside, as Conway tends to his blinded tag partner and yells at Patton to do a better job officiating, because the green mist is all over Grenier’s face!

Meanwhile, in the ring, the World Tag Team Champions celebrate their victory. Tajiri and Regal point at the upset La Resistance, glad to have one upped them tonight.

Backstage, the focus is on a clearly paranoid Edge storming through production workers and lower level Raw Superstars. Edge holds the Money In The Bank briefcase close to his chest, and finally stops in his tracks when he sees Lita. To no one’s surprise, the smartened up fans begin booing (albeit, a bit silenced on-screen) the hell out of the two when they’re spotted on screen together.

“What the hell was that last week, huh?!” Edge shouts at Lita, furious. “Did you do that last week? Did you send him after me?!” Edge rants to Lita, not even sure how one, teeny little interaction could have prompted that ‘psychopath’ to come after him following his match. Lita claims that she had nothing to do with it despite Edge’s objections.

However, Lita does tell Edge that maybe next time..? “You should start watching your back.” Edge gives Lita a quizzical look. But suddenly, Edge feels something breathing down his neck and he slowly turns to see Kane behind him! Kane loudly cackles and Edge backs up, turning and running off! Kane smirks, giving chase to Edge. “YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN’T HIDE!” Kane yells, following Edge as Raw goes to commercial.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Match Three:
Singles Match
Shelly Martinez vs. Victoria

Already at ringside while Victoria makes her entrance is Shelly Martinez, a new signee on the OVW roster being presented as a local talent.

With the Women’s Championship in her sights, Victoria wastes no time getting into it as she beats down on Shelley with a barrage of strikes. Victoria tosses Shelly all over the ring, as JR makes it clear that every single thing that Victoria is doing tonight is a clear message to the Women’s Champion, Trish Stratus! The basically untrained Shelly gets no offense in (which is probably a good thing) as Victoria finishes this one off with the Widow’s Peak, scoring a second victory in consecutive weeks.

Winner: Victoria @ 0:41

Victoria celebrates her win and does what she can to get the crowd engaged and cheer her on, which somewhat works. Victoria’s celebration is cut short, though..

*IT’S TIME TO ROCK AND ROLL*

The Women’s Champion Trish Stratus has arrived, and she slowly walks down the ramp, already with a microphone in hand. At the end of the ramp though, Trish stops – along with her music. It seems she’s not interested in meeting Victoria in the ring, and she doesn’t look very impressed with Victoria’s performance.

“Good stuff, Victoria! For the second week in a row, you beat someone that I could beat in my sleep!” Trish chuckles, laughing at her own joke while boos follow up with that. Trish snarls at the booing fans, telling them to shut up. But of course, that only intensifies their reactions. “Now, I’ll give you that! You’re rising up in the division, Victoria.. And after I beat that slut Christy Hemme at WrestleMania, I think it’s about time I defend against an actual wrestler!” Trish stays focused on Victoria this time, as she continues.

“So you want this?” Trish looks to the Women’s Championship on her shoulder. “Sure, but at Backlash. You’ll get to look, but you won’t touch.” Victoria disagrees with Trish, saying that the Women’s Championship will be hers! “Because y’see, Victoria! I never forgot what YOU did to me.. And I’ve got a special surprise for you, which is going to make YOU feel the pain that I did when you arrived in the WWE!” Trish raises the Women’s Championship up high, making it clear a rude awakening is coming for Victoria. Victoria invites Trish in the ring, but Trish isn’t interested. She’s got her point across, leaving both JR and King to wonder what Trish’s surprise would be! King’s ideas are a bit more lewd.. While JR raises the urgency of how this could be a terrible thing for Victoria, considering how sadistic the Women’s Champion has gotten in the last year or so.

A teaser plays for WWE Backlash.

WWE Backlash
May 1st, 2005

In his office, the Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff sports a wide grin on his face, watching the WWE Backlash teaser on the television. He talks to Jonathan Coachman about how great of a PPV it’s bound to be, and how it’ll be so much better than SmackDown’s Judgment Day..

The talk is cut off, because the door swings open – and it’s Shawn Michaels who barges in Eric Bischoff’s office! “ERIC! I’ve had it up to HERE with Daivari and Hassan!” Shawn is pissed, and he doesn’t even give Bischoff or The Coach time to process him in the office! Shawn rants to Eric that this is the second week in a row that he’s been blindsided by Hassan and he wants to teach him a lesson. “I don’t care what you have to do, but I’ll tell you this.. I want Muhammad Hassan at Backlash!” Shawn demands, moving closer to Bischoff. Bischoff puts his hands up, trying his best to calm down Michaels.

“You know what? Muhammad Hassan has been talking a lot about proving himself, so I will allow Hassan to prove himself at Backlash when he takes on the Heartbreak Kid!” Bischoff nods to Michaels. Michaels’ expression doesn’t change the entire time, though. He eyes The Coach – then looks back to Bischoff. “Good.” Is all he blurts out, before turning off and storming out of the office. It’s clear that Shawn is solely focused on teaching Hassan a lesson.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

As Raw returns from break, the camera is once again backstage – although this time with interviewer Maria who welcomes her guest at this time, the number one contender to the Intercontinental Championship.. “Captain Charisma” himself, Christian, and of course at his side is his “Problem Solver” Tyson Tomko. A bit blunt, Maria asks Christian if the reason that he and Tomko blindsided Shelton last week is if he’s scared of him.

Christian stares at Maria, completely appalled. “What? Have you lost your mind?!” Christian barks at Maria, taking her aback. “Does it look like I’m scared of Shelton Benjamin? I mean really? Be serious!” Christian makes it clear that there’s nothing to be afraid of. He and Tomko went out and made an example of Shelton Benjamin and Chris Jericho. Christian makes it clear that the only person around here that deserves to be Intercontinental Champion is him, after all he put it on the map.

“I’ll give Shelton Benjamin this, he’s very athletic – he’s very skilled. But what happens when you don’t have the BRAIN to back up what you do in that ring?!” Christian stares at Maria, waiting on an answer. “Well, in your case, you don’t have any brains or skill.” Both Christian and Tomko laugh at that joke while Maria hangs her head low in shame. “Now with that said, all I have to do tonight is wait on one mistake from Shelton Benjamin. All I’ve gotta do is bide my time, and I will walk out tonight the Intercontinental Champion. Because that’s how I roll!”

Christian looks around and smirks. He pats Tomko on the shoulder and signals to get out of here. And before he leaves, he hopes next time he gets an interviewer with at least a half functioning brain. As the two laugh on their way off, the camera focuses on a sad and upset Maria.

Match Four:
Singles Match
The Hurricane w/ Rosey vs. Triple H

The Hurricane has a tough task tonight as he matches up with a very focused and game (no pun intended) Triple H. Surprisingly, Triple H engages in a collar and elbow tie-up with Hurricane, but it’s merely mind games as Triple H shoves Hurricane into the turnbuckles. Hurricane stares at Triple H and the two restart, engaging in another one. This time Triple H grabs Hurricane in a headlock and jams a couple of closed fist punches into his forehead before Earl Hebner forces a break and warns Triple H.

Hurricane leans on the ropes, and Triple H slams a punch into the ribs – then a knee to the ribs. Triple H grabs Hurricane and irish whips him off, looking for a clothesline but Hurricane ducks under! He catches Triple H with a dropkick that stuns him! Hurricane rises to his feet and hits Triple H with another one! Triple H falls into the corner, and Hurricane looks for a flying clothesline but Triple H catches him with a vicious jumping knee lift, reminiscent of Harley Race. Triple H drags Hurricane up and pummels him with heavy punches. Once again Earl Hebner tries to get Triple H to back off, but Triple H is beating the hell out of Hurricane! Rosey leans on the apron, yelling at Hebner to do something about it.

Eventually, Earl Hebner forces Triple H back and the two get in a shouting match. Triple H growls at Hebner, telling him to get out of his way. He pushes past Hebner, and Hurricane is up and throws a punch! Triple H is stunned, but then he smacks Hurricane down. Triple H grabs Hurricane and gives him a hammer whip across the ring, prompting Hurricane to bounce off the buckles into a HEAVY CLOTHESLINE! Hurricane is giving his all, but Batista’s challenge to a No Holds Barred match is clearly on Triple H’s mind. Hurricane tries to get up but Triple H cuts him down with a boot to the jaw. Triple H stares down at Hurricane and lays down some wicked stomps to the chest. Hurricane coughs out in pain as he feels his lungs closing up on him.

Hurricane once again tries to get up and Triple H punches him down. Lawler describes it as Triple H playing with his food, while JR insists Triple H show mercy and end it here, the point is clear to everyone. Instead, Triple H drags up Hurricane and tosses him out of the ring. He steps out and stares Rosey down, daring him to do something about it. But as Triple H has his focus diverted, the scrappy and resilient Hurricane is up to his feet and shoves Triple H shoulder-first into the steel steps! Triple H yelps in pain, as Hurricane climbs up onto the apron and waits on Triple H to rise.. He flies off into a crossbody! The Hurricane is up to his feet and the crowd are cheering him on! He drags up Triple H and throws him in the ring, running up the steps and climbing up the top rope.

Hurricane awaits Triple H to rise – but Triple H is up and falls into the ropes! Hurricane falls, crouched on the top rope. He groans in pain, as Triple H marches over to the top rope and yanks Hurricane off the top, slamming him hard onto the mat. Hurricane holds his back in pain and rolls over. He plants his hands on the mat and pushes up in an attempt to get up to his feet.. But as he does, Triple H jams his head into his thighs and double underhooks the arms. PEDIGREE! Triple H stares down at Hurricane and pins him, shaking his head. One! Two! Three!

Winner: Triple H @ 8:36

Triple H is your winner of this match, and while JR remarks that Triple H did control a bulk of that match – but he hints that maybe he was a bit scared of Hurricane getting on a burst of momentum and ended it the first chance he got! Lawler says he thinks it was all mind games, but Triple H does not look happy with his performance at all.

Triple H remains stone faced as he watches Rosey enter the ring and check on Hurricane. Suddenly, Triple H steps out of the ring and marches over to the timekeeper’s area, demanding the timekeeper & Lilian Garcia move. They hurry out of the way, as Triple H picks up a steel chair and storms over to the ring, sliding and SMACKING ROSEY OVER THE BACK WITH THE CHAIR! Rosey topples on top of Hurricane, while Triple H repeatedly hits Rosey and Hurricane over and over!

Triple H tosses the chair out of the ring and drags Rosey up, clotheslining him over the top rope. JR absolutely reprimands this act by Triple H, as Triple H steps out of the ring and follows after Rosey. He reaches down and grabs his patented sledgehammer. Triple H stares at it for a while and smiles, while waiting for Rosey to rise to his feet.. AND HE SLAMS THE SLEDGEHAMMER IN BETWEEN ROSEY’S EYES! Rosey drops hard on the steel ramp, knocked out cold.. That’s a statement made! But Triple H isn’t done! He marches over, demanding a microphone now.

Triple H slides into the ring, looking to the stage. “DAVE! I KNOW YOU’RE WATCHING!” He growls, pointing out. “YOU WANT A NO HOLDS BARRED MATCH.. FINE.. YOU’LL GET YOUR WISH.” Triple H looks around, breathing heavily. “But I’ll tell you now.. YOU JUST MADE A DEATH WISH!” Triple H pauses for a second, “THAT WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP IS COMING HOME.. TO ME!” Triple H tosses the mic aside as his theme cues. Triple H steps out of the ring, headed up the ramp. Medical attention is being attended to Hurricane and Rosey while JR can’t believe the measures Triple H will go to, now that the World Heavyweight Championship is out of his possession.

The SmackDown Rebound!
A recap of Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio in San Diego shows, capping off with the SmackDown debut of three mysterious superstars (Joey Matthews, Johnny Nitro, and Melina of OVW) who cost Mysterio the match, with Eddie Guerrero making the save for his tag partner.
Catch SmackDown this Thursday on UPN!

As Raw returns to action..

*MASTERPIECE*

One of the rising stars on Raw, the self proclaimed “Masterpiece” Chris Masters has arrived. With an incredibly smug look on his face, Masters makes sure to flaunt his huge muscles as he makes his way down to the ring. Masters climbs into the ring and calls for a microphone.

“Alright, that’s enough – you can all shut up and bask in my tremendous presence!” Masters announces, chuckling. Instead, this prompts boos from the crowd. “Now, tonight.. I was scheduled to wrestle but quite frankly? I don’t think the bum city of Moline deserves to see The Masterpiece in action!” A bit of a mixed reaction, the fans are booing Masters for wasting their time.. But there’s also probably not many people in Moline who wanted to see him wrestle in the first place! “So instead, I have come to announce to you all a MASTER LOCK CHALLENGE for anyone to beat! And to just raise the stakes, I will put $1,000 out of my own pocket on the line!” That now piques the fans interest, as Masters calls the fans to still stay silent. “So with that said.. We got any takers in the crowd?!” A bunch of fans raise their hands, interested in answering the challenge!

The camera is focused on multiple fans in the crowd, as Masters insults many trying to step up to the challenge. He points out and it looks like he’s about to pick someone to answer the challenge, but the camera pans past them – it’s Edge hurriedly moving through the crowd! Lawler makes a remark about Edge perhaps answering the Masterlock Challenge, but Edge being in the crowd makes a lot more sense when it’s Kane following right behind him!

Kane has been chasing Edge all night, and Edge is trying to escape him through the sea of the crowd! Edge holds the Money In The Bank briefcase as he hops the ‘cade, and Kane follows right behind him! The two slide into the ring and it seems we’re not getting a Masterlock Challenge because Kane and Edge have ruined it! Edge tries to get out the ring on the other side, but Kane catches up to him and grabs him by the waistband. Kane yanks Edge back, turning him and he chokes him!

It looks like Kane is going for the chokeslam – but Masters drops Kane with a HUGE CLOTHESLINE! He flexes his massive bicep and thanks him for giving him a reason to not do ANYTHING in Illinois! Edge glosses over all of that and tells Masters to put Kane in the Master Lock! Masters nods and drags Kane up, and he clinches in the Master Lock! Kane flails, but he’s got nowhere to go! He can’t break out of it and EDGE CRACKS KANE WITH HIS BRIEFCASE! Masters tosses Kane to the side and nods to Edge, stepping out of the ring. Edge raises the briefcase over a downed Kane and smirks. “Mess with me again, I DARE YOU!” Edge backs up as his theme song plays, rolling out and heading up the ramp.. As Edge and Masters are on their way to the back, Kane comes to his senses to realize he just got jumped.. And he’s already got revenge in mind.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK*

Raw returns from commercial for one of the last few in the night, and it’s time for the main event to finally kick off!

Main Event:
WWE Intercontinental Championship
Shelton Benjamin (c) vs. Christian w/ Tyson Tomko

The contrast of characters shows immediately. Shelton comes into the match already fired up from Christian and Tomko’s blindside beatdown last week, while Christian looks calm and very confident. This shows when the two engage and Shelton grabs Christian in a waist lock. While Shelton has it in tight, Christian uses his smarts and experience to get free and trip Shelton onto his stomach. Christian wrenches in a grounded headlock, while a frustrated Shelton is struggling to get up. JR reminds those watching at home that Shelton Benjamin is a NCAA Division 1 Wrestler, but Lawler reminds JR this is more than just amateur wrestling and Christian has excelled in this position time and time again! Shelton finally works his way up, still in the headlock. He brings Christian to the ropes and sends him off, dropping Christian with a shoulder block. Shelton bounces off the ropes as Christian rolls over, trying to trip him – but Shelton swiftly leaps over him and both men are up. It looks like Shelton is looking for a leapfrog, but Christian catches the legs and drops him onto his back! Christian slams down a massive stomp to the ribs of Shelton, taking the wind out of him.

Lawler says that was a great move, and Christian clearly has Shelton well scouted out here! Christian once again stomps at the ribs of Shelton and drops down for the first cover of the match. One! Shelton kicks out. A questionable decision by Lawler, who believes Shelton should’ve taken his time instead of trying to show he’s still fresh! Christian transitions to a grounded bearhug, working on the ribs of Shelton. Shelton cries out in pain, as he reaches out to the crowd to get him back in this, which they do with claps. Shelton slowly works his way up, and Christian releases the hold to forearm Shelton in the back. Christian pulls Shelton back in for a back suplex, but Shelton lands it and grabs Christian by the waist, bringing him down with an O’Connor Roll! One! Two! Christian kicks out, rising to his feet. He swings a clothesline at Shelton – but Shelton catches him! He backs up against the ropes, looking for his finishing T-Bone Suplex out of the ring – but Christian wisely lands onto the apron! Shelton turns back to Christian and tries to punch him off, but Christian ducks his head low. Shelton inadvertently swings his whole body with that huge swing, his back facing Christian. Christian clamps his hands onto Shelton’s chin and gives a vicious inverted hot shot, definitely stinging the neck of Shelton. Christian leans on the apron and smirks, and even JR has to admit Christian is playing this match a lot smarter than Shelton.

Christian slides in and grabs Shelton in a cravate, working down on the neck. A frustrated Shelton tries his hardest to get up, but this instead plays to Christian favor as he grabs Shelton by the head and slams him face first into the turnbuckles. Christian turns Shelton and gives him some open handed chops to the chest, and a punch to the side of the head. Christian leans Shelton against the turnbuckles and grabs him by the wrist, irish whipping him across the ring. Christian follows after Shelton – but it proves to be a mistake because Shelton box jumps up to the rope and flies off with a diving clothesline! Finally, Shelton gets some solid offense in! Christian rises to his feet, dazed, and Shelton is on the prowl! He drops Christian with a back elbow. A dazed Christian is up again and this time, Shelton irish whips Christian off and floors him with a dropkick! Shelton scrambles to the cover! One! Two! Christian kicks out. Shelton nods his feet, aware that it’ll take more than that. Christian slowly climbs up to his feet, and Shelton stuns him with a right hand to the chin. Christian leans on the rope, and Shelton looks for another irish whip – but this time Christian counters it! Christian has a back body drop in mind as he leans his head down, but Shelton counters with a sunset flip! One! Two! Christian kicks out!

Both men are up to their feet and Shelton swiftly ducks under Christian, grabbing onto the waist. He lifts him up for a german suplex! But Shelton rolls over, holding onto Christian’s waist! JR brings up Shelton’s ties to Kurt Angle, as he looks for a second german suplex but Christian does everything in his power to pull himself to the ropes, despite Shelton’s grasp on him. Mike Chioda comes in, calling for a clean break. Shelton is trying to overpower Christian and pull him off the ropes, while Chioda is trying to pry Shelton off. Shelton’s not making much advancement though because outside the ring, Tyson Tomko is holding onto Christian’s hands, his arms dangling over the top rope! Shelton gives in and lets go of Christian. He hits off of the ropes, and Christian pulls the top rope! Shelton lands, but Christian is already up to his feet as he rushes up the middle rope and dives into a triangle crossbody! It’s not very often that you see Christian go high-risk, but clearly he worked it into his game plan tonight! Christian can’t help but get up to his feet and boast that feat though, slapping his chest and bigging himself up. JR says per usual, Christian has something good going, but his ego simply doesn’t allow him to focus solely on the task at hand!

Christian pulls Shelton up and throws him into the barricades! Shelton yelps in pain, then Christian drags him up and sends Shelton into the ring post! Nodding his head, Christian picks up Shelton and forces him in the ring. Christian slides in and covers Shelton. One! Two! Shelton musters enough to kick out! Christian yells at Chioda, claiming he was counting slow! The two briefly argue, as Shelton slowly gets up and pulls Christian down with a school boy! One! Two! Christian kicks out just in time! Both men are up and Shelton charges in and Christian pops him up! Shelton flies over Christian, leaping up the top rope. Christian smirks, thinking he sent Shelton face first into the turnbuckles.. But he turns around, and Shelton flies down with a diving blockbuster! Another cover! One! Two! Christian just barely gets his shoulder up! Shelton rises to his feet, as does a dazed Christian. He irish whips Christian off and drops him with a double handed clothesline. Christian slowly rises and Shelton kicks Christian in the ribs, lifting him up for a vertical suplex, but Christian floats over and hooks onto the arms of Shelton! He slowly turns him, is he going to hit the Unprett- no! Shelton shoves Christian off! Christian hits off the ropes and Shelton looks to lift him for the T-Bone Suple– nope! Christian slams down multiple elbows to the back of Shelton’s head! Shelton lets go, dropping to a kneel.

Shelton rubs at the back of his head, dazed. Christian tries to lift Shelton up, but Shelton slaps him away and fires off repeated punches to the jaw. Christian wobbles, dazed. Shelton bounces off the ropes, but Tomko trips him! The referee’s attention was on Christian for just a split second, and he missed it! Mike Chioda has enough experience to know something is up and says a couple of things to Tomko, who pleads innocence. Meanwhile, Christian stomps Shelton out and uses the rope, choking him out. Chioda returns his attention back to the action and quickly gets Christian away from Shelton. Christian backs up, letting Shelton get up. A dazed Shelton is up, and Christian quickly turns him, slamming him down with his signature Inverted DDT. Christian nods his head, covering Shelton. One! Two! Shelton kicks out! Christian looks at the referee, frustrated. He rises to his feet and marches over to the turnbuckles with an idea in mind. Christian begins to untie the top turnbuckle, prompting Chioda to go over and stop Christian from doing what he’s doing!

While Shelton is rising up to his feet.. Tomko slides in and CATCHES SHELTON WITH A BIG BOOT! Tomko rolls out and as soon as Christian hears the impact on the mat, he turns and points to the downed Shelton. He tells the referee to focus on the match in a snarky manner, and drops into the cover. This could be it!

ONE!

TWO!

THR—

SHELTON KICKS OUT!

“What?!”
Christian shrieks out loud. He thought the factor of Tomko would’ve done it there! He yells at the referee, pissed! Neither JR or Lawler can believe it, but JR says that shows a lot about the endurance of Shelton Benjamin. Christian leans on top of Shelton and repeatedly beats down on him. He drags Shelton up and slowly hooks the arms, nodding his head. He twists Shelton, you know what’s coming next!

“WAIT A MINUTE!” Something has caught JR’s attention, and now the fans are following along! Chris Jericho has just hopped the barricade, and he shoves Tomko face first into the ring post! Tomko stumbles forward, dazed.. And Jericho grabs Tomko and throws him into the steel steps! It seems help has finally come for Shelton Benjamin, and it’s in the name of another man that Christian and Tomko took out last week, Chris Jericho! Christian stares in shock, completely forgetting that he may just have it over here! Shelton wiggles free of the Unprettier, turning Christian and HE LIFTS HIM UP FOR THE T-BONE SUPLEX! The two collide near the edge of the ring, and Shelton is still hurt so he can’t immediately get to the cover! After some willing from both the crowd and (a totally unbiased) JR, Shelton crawls over to cover Christian!

ONE!

TWO!

CHRISTIAN HAS HIS FOOT ON THE BOTTOM ROPE!

THREE!

THE REFEREE DIDN’T SEE IT!

Winner & Still Intercontinental Champion: Shelton Benjamin @ 17:58

A big pop from the crowd as the bell rings, and Shelton Benjamin is STILL your Intercontinental Champion! JR gives Shelton his props, meanwhile Lawler is crying injustice! Not only did Jericho ‘unfairly’ get involved and cause a disadvantage to Christian, but Christian had his foot on the bottom rope! JR defends it, saying Christian tried to cheat so it’s not surprising he got cheated, and Mike Chioda didn’t see it anyways!

Jericho backs up the ramp, clapping it up for a celebrating Shelton Benjamin. Christian finally comes to his senses and is protesting the decision with Mike Chioda, but the decision is official! JR writes the viewers off for tonight’s episode of Raw, and there’s still so much to come in the build to Backlash!

WWE RAW © 2005

WWE Backlash
May 1st, 2005

No Holds Barred
World Heavyweight Championship
Batista (c) vs. Triple H w/ Ric Flair

Singles Match
Muhammad Hassan w/ Daivari vs. Shawn Michaels

Singles Match
Women’s Championship
Trish Stratus (c) vs. Victoria

Tag Team Match
World Tag Team Championship

William Regal & Tajiri (c) vs. La Resistance

DJ25

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk3
Favorite Wrestler
mrkennedy
Apologize for the sudden inactivity, but for obvious reasons from last night.. I do have an itch to get my creative juices flowing again.

Hope to get work done on SmackDown soon and getting back to consistently pumping shows out because I do have A LOT already planned for this that I just need to act on!

Reactions: Joey Bananas