WS Movie Log Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Mom-and-Dad-UK-Poster.jpg

Watched this the other night, I loved it. Good blend between comedy and horror and Nicolas Cage is very entertaining in it. Good on-screen chemistry too with Selma Blair. Flew under the radar for me but I've been enjoying a lot of Cage's recent work, especially in the horror genre so it seemed right up my alley. Very short runtime which I also appreciated because it was fast paced and there wasn't really any dull moments in it. The premise was very fun, parents turning in to killers. Definitely some great songs in this too, I digged the soundtrack. One of my favourite parts is when Lance Henricksen shows up in it, it's just so crazy. :lol My only gripe is the ending felt abrupt, totally would watch it again though.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
tumblr_nu7y93wCYj1slvy4jo1_1280.jpg

Just as great as I remember, maybe even more so. I think I appreciate it more after seeing it again. Absolute trip of a movie. Cronenberg's direction is fire, he absolutely nails it. Christopher Walken is supremely awesome, with Martin Sheen really shining also. This is just behind Misery when it comes to the best Stephen King adapatations for me. The visuals have held up so well in this, got such a neat vibe about it, pure 80's and so good. Great soundtrack too!

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Watched the first Matrix last night and honestly that movie is so damn timeless. So ahead of its time I feel in a lot of areas. The action scenes in it still blow a lot of other movies out of the gate even today. Man those slow motion scenes too, absolute perfection. Everything is just as cool in that movie as the first time I ever watched it. I think my favourite scene is the Lobby shootout scene with Neo & Trinity.

the-matrix-the.gif

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Really feel like Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best movies I've ever seen, certainly in the Fantasy genre. Guillermo del Toro is so incredibly creative and it has some absolutely breathtaking visuals. It's one of those that I think is pretty much flawless in every aspect. He just knocks it out of the park.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
cd4b5e80-2005-45f2-af2a-1412604d6059.jpg

Surprised a movie with a cast like this went so under the radar for me. Definitely a gem, I really enjoyed it. Especially the visuals and noir vibes

Jeff Goldblum, Charlie Day and Dave Bautista all in a movie together was crazy fun, I'd say peep it if you enjoy those actors and Jodie Foster is great

Reactions: John McHenry

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Took me a while to finish it as I've been watching it in bits and pieces of recently but Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was a lot more fun than I remembered it being. That was one of the ones I didn't really remember that well, actually I'd say one of my least rewatched ones. Very fun though, I'm now just on to arguably one of the best movies in the series next in Prisoner of Azkaban. It's kinda wild watching these one after the other because of how quickly the cast grows up, and you're just like "Holy shit" basically. :lol

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I think Bumblebee might be my new favourite Transformers movie. The setting was great too, I really liked the 80's.

Reactions: Butters

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
I think Bumblebee might be my new favourite Transformers movie. The setting was great too, I really liked the 80's.

I haven't seen the newest Transformers film but for a person who've seen them all Bumblebee had all the magic a Transformers Films should have for sure. Still my favorite from the Franchise thus far.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Prom_night_film_poster.jpg

Prom Night (1980)

Honestly pleasantly surprised by how well this movie has aged. I thought it was going to be terrible now as it was always on my lower tier of 80's slasher movies. I like it more now than I ever did back in the day. Firstly the atmosphere is really good, maybe I slept on this aspect of it before. The characters are well written and acted well for the most part, and I like that most of them actually give the killer a good fight. One of my biggest pet peeves is when all of the characters are just really frustrating and there's nobody you really root for. Soundtrack is awesome too. Always feels good to have my opinion changed on a movie I wasn't as crazy about in the past.

Emelie_poster.jpg

Emelie (2015)

This is one of the best 'evil babysitter' movies I've personally seen. Sarah Bolger really makes this great, she's awesome in the role. Right from the opening this is oozing in atmosphere and it's really tightly paced too. Plenty of scenes I found disturbing and creepy. Well worth your time.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Sorry to Bother You (2018)

81+QDFI4KxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Very good movie. Visually very appealing and something that felt totally unique. Really appreciated the world it created and the characters in it, plus a really fantastic cast of names. A lot of people I really liked in this that helped make it even more of a fun watch. LaKeith Stanfield is fantastic. Super fresh, thoroughly worth your time.

The Canal (2014)

MV5BMTg2MTQ0MDIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODM5NTg2NTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Pretty decent horror I'd never heard of, just came across it on Prime Video. Got a pretty heavy Sinister/Stir of Echoes vibe from it. I think if you like those movies, you'll find aspects of this that you might appreciate. Very well acted for the most part with a lot of good atmosphere I enjoyed. The story is not something totally original, like you've seen it before but it gets the job done and keeps your attention, I was interested to see what happens next.

It Follows (2014)

MP_ItFollows_V2.jpeg

This holds up so well. One of the most unique horror plots I've ever watched. They do such a fantastic job building up so much dread all throughout and all the performances are great, I love Maika Monroe in it. Yet to actually find another movie as effective as this is a making you just feel so on edge the entire time. Maybe I think Don't Breathe is the only one that comes to mind. But yeah, It Follows is just in a whole league of its own for me.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Husk (2011)

70140906.jpg

Plesantly surprised by this movie. A lot better than I was expecting. It's well-acted and has a really good atmosphere to it. Really appreciated the direction and the setting, which really set the mood well. Kinda feels like a mish mash of a lot of other slasher movies. Typically don't really find scarecrows to be a scary concept but this does a good job making them pretty creepy. Liked the supernatrual aspects to the story as well. It's on the shorter side too, so the pacing itself felt pretty perfect. There's pretty much always something happening, it keeps your attention well. I'd definitely recommend it if you liked Jeepers Creepers, I think it has a similar sort of vibe.

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)

image.jpg

Very entertaining and an incredibly easy watch. The most important thing about a Zombie Comedy is cast chemistry, which they had plenty of here. Plenty of fun characters. I'd definitely recommend it to people who like Zombieland, even if it doesn't fully reach the heights of that movie.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The_Commuter_film_poster.jpg

Pretty entertaining thrill ride, I'd say Neeson has better action movies out there but this does have a very solid cast and good pacing

Worth a check out if you're stuck for something to watch and would enjoy something tense with a bit of mystery and Neeson in top form

Ghostbusters_-_Afterlife_official_theatrical_poster.jpg

Whilst not perfect, a very nice entry in to the Ghostbusters series of films and something I think longterm fans will have fun with

You can't go wrong with Paul Rudd either, always a great guy to watch on screen

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Monster_House_poster.jpg

Actually saw this one in the cinemas when I was younger, got very fond memories of it for that reason. Always loved the style and atmosphere of it, it's also surprisingly emotional towards the end, more than you might expect.

Character development is fantastic, especially the backstory of Nebbercracker and Steve Buscemi does terrific voice work

A lot of people find the animation style weird but I personally really like how unique it is and they really capture the Halloween vibe perfectly

Wheelman_%28film%29.png

Very well made film and I'd recommend it if you liked Drive, Locke and Baby Driver, it takes place pretty much entirely from the perspective of the car

Frank Grillo really carries the movie to another level with his performance which is really enjoyable, the car chase scenes and shootouts were awesome

220px-The_Uninvited_%282009_film%29.jpg

I'd personally recommend you watch A Tale of Two Sisters first as it is one of my absolute favourite foreign horror movies

That being said, this is a pretty decent remake with good scares and quite good performances, especially Emily Browning and Elizabeth Banks

If you've never seen the original, you'll be in for some good surprises along the way

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Poster_for_The_Conspiracy_%282012_Film%29.jpg

Easily one of the most impressive uses I've seen of the found footage genre. It actually feels like you're watching a documentary too as the performances are so authentic, especially by the conspiracy guy in the beginning. If I didn't know this was just a horror film ahead of time, they would have fooled me at least for the first 20 minutes or so easily, I would have bought it was real people being filmed. It starts off quite slow but remains interesting and then towards the end it just gets batshit crazy. Absolutely awesome.

Split_%282017_film%29.jpg

My third or fourth time seeing this. Incredible. James McAvoy gives one of the best performances of his career. The way he effortlessly switches between so many different personalities and actually makes you feel like you're watching a different character. It's truly amazing stuff. Such a tense, exciting movie that keeps you hooked with all the twists and turns. Highly rewatchable. You could even argue this is M Night's best directed movie, it's easily up there with Unbreakable and Sixth Sense in my book.

The_Founder_poster.png

This was fun. I always typically like Michael Keaton anyways. Easy selling point. He was really good here. Hits all the right notes I like to see from a biographical drama movie. McDonald's was an interesting subject so I really enjoyed seeing the rise of it and how it came to be.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2