WS Movie Log Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Somers_town_british_quad.jpg

A little known film by Shane Meadows (who directed This Is England). Whilst not quite the same quality, it's a nice little coming-of-age piece that not a lot of people have seen, it also has a cool black & white aesthetic going on. Which I do enjoy if done right, and it definitely is here. I really like the vibe of it. It's pretty short but very charming with some good comedy in there and with characters they do a good job developing and that you care about. Worth a watch if you like Meadows' other work and it also has Thomas Turgoose in it who is a good actor.

Zombieland-poster.jpg

One of those movies that has aged beautifully and I think pretty much anyone can have a good time with it. It's got funny narration and dialogue, really good character development and the action itself is great. Never drags on, always something funny/interesting going on and Bill Murray cameo is awesome. I really like Jesse Eiesenberg in this movie. This and The Social Network he really shined in. Rest of the cast is great too, Woody Harrelson has the time of his life in this.

Stepfatherremakeposter.jpg

A lot of people really hate this remake, but I personally don't mind it. It's not as good as the original, but I don't think it's a bad viewing experience. Dylan Walsh is menacing enough in the role and he's by far the highlight of it. Penn Badgley is decent too. It's got a geniunely unsettling opening scene and has enough suspense in my opinion to make it a fun watch. I think it just gets compared too much to the original's quality, which is fair, but I can personally look past it and I've seen far worse remakes/horror movies in general. This is just fine to me.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Uncut_Gems_poster.jpg

One of the most stressful movies you'll ever see. Adam Sandler puts on a fantastic perfomance and his portrayal of a gambling addict is spot on. I really don't think I've quite seen something as anxiety inducing as this. They are so good at just filling the scenes with so much shit happening that you get overwhelmed and stressed like it's happening to you. It's really well done. Kevin Garnett is surprisingly awesome as well to say he's not really an actor. Some of his scenes are honestly my highlights of the movie.

Tenet_movie_poster.jpg

Honestly I wasn't a massive fan of this when it dropped. I liked it to a degree but it didn't hit me like other Nolan movies. However, my opinion has vastly changed on further rewatches. I started to appreciate it a lot more. Visually it's really awesome and John David Washington is great.

Baby_Driver_poster.jpg

Such a fantastic movie. It's like a flashier and more faster paced Drive. Much like that movie, it has a killer soundtrack that really compliments every scene super well. Highly rewatchable and no matter the mood it's one of those I can stick on and have a lot of fun with.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BMjU0MzBiMDctMmU3NS00NjRkLTkzMzgtZWE3NmExZGI0MmVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

The Squid and the Whale (2005)

This film really resonated with me, as somebody who grew up with parents seperating at a young age. The characters felt like real people with actual flaws about them. Also it really captures the feeling of being 'tugged' between two parents. You find yourself sympathising with both Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney's characters, and the children affected by it. I was surprised to see a younger Jesse Eisenberg in this, he was really great.

11463686-1814479654468921.jpg

Creep (2014)

This is easily still one of the most unsettling movies out there. Mark Duplass does such a fantastic job making you feel uneasy with his performance. Normally I really dislike the overusage of jump scares, but this is one of those I think handled them well. They are really well placed and actually scary, and not just because they are loud either like a lot of horror. A lot of it is because the build-up is actually really awesome and effective. You're constantly on edge because of it. The ending of this still sticks with me all these years later.

MV5BOTRiNzFhNjAtNTdhMS00ZjViLWFhNTUtMWJlMTJkMGM1YzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020)

Fun for what it was and exactly what you'd expect really. As a longtime fan of the series, I enjoyed the nostalgia of it. I just really liked seeing Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves acting together again. They always had really wonderful chemistry. It was a fun concept and the last 20 minutes or so I especially really enjoyed. Also some of the jumps through time was great, the scene were Mozart and Jimi Hendrix meet each other and play music together is amazing.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
The last few Weeks I've enjoyed a few Movies that I like to talk about a little bit more. First of all Cool Runnings which is a Story of the first Jamaican Bobsned Team going to the Olympics in 88 I believe. I don't know how much of the Film is truthful but man I still get tears wanting to come down my face when the Team crashes and they pick up their Shed to the finish line. I don't know how no one has made a TV Version to go into further the Team and it's Coach and the journey with them in the Olympics.

The other day I watched the third Indiana Jones Movie: The Last Crusade and it's my favorite of the first three. Great Action as always but I thought the chemistry with Ford and Connery was really great. The Comedy of them clearly at odds with each other and thus having to rely on the other to survive and eventually them repairing their relationship was really great. I'lll watch the others eventually but I'm glad I took the time to watch these classics.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Bank Job (2008)

Bank_job_ver2.jpg

Really entertaining and stylish. If you're in to British films at all, I think you'll really enjoy it. You'll also recognise a lot of the names in it, it boasts quite an impressive cast. Always felt it has a bit of Guy Ritchie vibe to it at times, especially with some of the dialogue which is just fantastic and it has some good humour sprinkled in. It's easily up there with my favourite Heist movies, and I do enjoy the plot of a job going wrong and the aftermath of it. Very big fan of the 70's setting here too, it works really well.

War (2007)

war.jpg

Whilst you could certainly find better films from both guys, I think the crossover itself is what really sells this movie as awesome for me. I first watched it when I was younger and I was a pretty huge Jet-Li fan at the time, so seeing him interact with Jason Statham who was also a really fun actor in action films was just like a dream come true honestly. Fun ride, just a really entertaining time with some good action scenes.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Fargo (1996)

MV5BNDJiZDgyZjctYmRjMS00ZjdkLTkwMTEtNGU1NDg3NDQ0Yzk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Incredible film. A lot of people have seen the TV Series which is awesome in its own right but I would highly recommend this too. It's just got a fantastic atmosphere about it, and William H. Macy is very good. Also I really enjoy Steve Buscemi in this a lot, his character he plays is great and he knocks it out of the park. Peter Stormare is awesome as usual, it's hard to find a bad performance from him, he's always an enjoyable guy to watch. The dialogue is on point and and script is really engaging.

Along Came a Spider (2001)

p27449_p_v8_al.jpg

Entertaining enough. I vaguely recall seeing this before but can't say I remembered too much about it. It's one of those movies that does everything fine, but you probably won't remember it very well years down the line. Kinda feels like a lot of other stuff you've likely already seen out there. Still, I feel it's worth a watch at least once if you like crime thrillers. Morgan Freeman's presence in it bumps it up a notch. A lot of these late 90's and early 2000's movies have a certain charm/vibe about them that I always seem to enjoy, they are just really watchable even if the story isn't anything mind-blowing. There's enough intrigue in this to keep your attention.

Don't Breathe (2016)

Don%27t_Breathe_%282016_film%29.png

An excellent film, really. Even rewatching it, I still get tons of anxiety. It just does such a great job making you feel as trapped in that situation with the characters. I also always liked that there isn't anybody you really 'root' for in this, it makes for an interesting viewing experience. The twists are really well executed and will surprise you if you've never seen this before. It just gets increasingly more messed up as things go along. My only suggestion is to be cautious with the sequel. I don't think it was very good at all. Way different vibe and didn't really work for me personally.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Watched District 9 earlier today and it's really incredible how good that movie still looks. The special effects are absolutely awesome. Really feel it's a science fiction movie everybody should see at least once if you're in to the genre. Neil Blomkamp knocked it out of the park in so many ways. Flawless direction, really. Love how gritty it is too.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Vivarium (2019)

81sI3+yIMjL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Very weird movie, had quite a fever dream feeling watching it. I can see why a lot of the reviews were divided on it as it leaves you with a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Personally I quite enjoyed it though. Felt it was carried a lot by its concept which I found incredibly interesting and pretty unique to a lot other stuff out there. Visually and vibe wise it felt a lot like a Black Mirror episode to me as well, which helped heighten my enjoyment quite a lot. Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots were both pretty great in it. One of those that is pretty hard to recommend but I'd say it's worth a peek myself. Some interesting ideas in it.

They Look Like People (2015)

They+Look+Like+People.jpg

Great slow burn. Definitely has you questioning a lot what's real or not in a lot of scenes. Very subtle, quiet film for the most part with some good atmosphere and performances. Some pretty creepy scenes as well at certain parts. It definitely had me intrigued to see it through to the end.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

MV5BNmNlM2RmZTEtNGVhNS00MjU3LWI1OWUtMWI5MThlYTVjM2M5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMDUzNTI3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Pretty much would consider this perfection as far as Zombie films go. It has some of my favourite characters ever. They are so out there and over-the-top and it's just perfect for this genre. It doesn't take itself too seriously and just has fun.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BODQ4MTk1NzMtODBmYi00MWI1LThiNWUtYTA0ZGE5ZDZkOTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMTI1Mjk3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- Pretty fun revenge film, really carried by its lead actress Jeon Jong-seo who is great. It was a fun thrill ride and the pacing was nice. I'd recommend watching her performance in The Call too. Another great South Korean film available on Netflix.

MV5BMTg2MjkwMTM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc4NDg2NQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- A very fun romantic comedy with a very likeable cast. Ryan Gosling & Steve Carrell have great chemistry and it's just a very feel good movie with a lot of great scenes with superb writing. It's got a lot of heart and is very charming.

MV5BMjYxYmRlZWYtMzAwNC00MDA1LWJjNTItOTBjMzlhNGMzYzk3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

- Even though this is a very long movie, I never really mind rewatching it in it's entirety. It does take a bit before you see Kong but I personally like the slow build-up at the start as the characters get great development. The visuals of it really blew me away when I was a kid.

MV5BMjg0NjAxNDY4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA5MjMzMw@@._V1_.jpg

- Crank is one of those movies where I feel it's impossible to be bored. It's so chaotically filmed which really goes with the plot super well. Statham is on top form. It's just non-stop action right from the start and never lets up.

Reactions: Jimmy King and Hoss

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BMTYyODg0NDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjcxMzU0MjI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- A very fun heist movie with a more easy-going vibe and a fantastic soundtrack (Looking at you, Country Roads). I like Nascar being the setting for a heist. it's incredibly fresh and hasn't been touched on before. Makes a nice change of pace from your typical bank heist scenarios and what have you as they can feel pretty overdone after seeing a lot of those. I like they got a bunch of Nascar drivers to make cameos too. The whole cast is great, but I especially like Channing Tatum in this, it's a perfect character for him I feel, he's really in his element in it. Daniel Craig also shows a ton of personality in this as Joe Bang, his character is hilarious.

p34621_p_v13_bc.jpg

- Whilst not as iconic or memorable as other Steven Spielberg films, it does have a lot of heart and is fairly touching. Tom Hanks is very good at playing Viktor Navorski and selling the language barriers present in it. It does well developing its characters and definitely makes you smile, laugh and get emotional. I enjoy it a lot.

5017239190780.jpg

- Friday to me is the quintessential buddy/stoner comedy. It's such a chill vibe with a lot of of very funny moments and two leads with a ton of chemistry, Tucker and Cube were meant to share the screen together.

Ew247jjUcAQ6AKW

- Some definite flaws, but overall it was a fun time. Pretty good visuals, a lot of fun fight scenes and I think a good chunk of the characters were well peformed. I liked a lot of the fatalities, they were pretty great.

Reactions: Jimmy King

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BMTdkZDc4YmQtYzA3My00NzliLThjN2YtMDIwMDkxY2Y4ODdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDU0NjM5._V1_.jpg

- I really enjoyed this. Kristen Stewart I thought really captured Diana quite well, some scenes I was really impressed with her performance and thought she really came across a lot like her. It had a very interesting vibe, almost horror like in sections. Very engrossing and I loved the scenary a lot, superbly directed.

MV5BZWMyYzFjYTYtNTRjYi00OGExLWE2YzgtOGRmYjAxZTU3NzBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ0MzA0NTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- I do have the Blu-Ray readily available but I ended up rewatching it on Netflix anyways after seeing they added it. It's like my fourth time seeing it I believe and I think I fall more in love with it each time. It's such a treat for fans that have been following Spider-Man for a while. All the past villains popping up is so exciting. Tobey and Garfield really slotted in super well and really added a lot of emotion in to it, especially Garfield. I loved how they handled his version. Tom Holland is also very good in this, I think it's the one he really shows his acting chops off a lot, the scenes with May really moved me a lot.

nightcrawler-australian-movie-poster.jpg

- Always a fine watch. So incredibly tense and stressful in parts, even on further rewatches. The vibe and aesthetic of the film is awesome, Jake Gyllenhaal gives one of his best peformances and it will surely go down as an all-timer in his career. The character development is perfection.

91fGg1iJyfL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

- I would say it's one of the best movies I've seen in years. Incredibly engrossing, Mads Mikkelsen is unbeliveable in the lead role. It really hooks you in to the world and its characters. I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. I love when movies make me feel like that.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Watched From Up on Poppy Hill for the first time. Pretty sweet, feel-good film that made me smile a lot. Music was amazing as usually tends to be the case with these films. It was one of the few I hadn't seen from Studio Ghibli. I liked that it had a very different vibe about it, this felt very grounded and realistic. I really liked the characters, thought they were great. Found it to be a very easy watch, very charming and lighthearted. It's a simple & sweet one.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
c7bd44fe971527a37757affa82b66580.jpg

- An anime film that I think everybody should see at least once, it's amazing. Especially if you enjoy David Lynch movies or was a fan of Black Swan when it released. It really captures those similar sort of vibes, just in animated form. The animation style looks incredible still as well, it has tons of style and atmosphere. Very dark movie, but also very engrossing that really plays on your mind.

MV5BMjgzNDFkMzgtNTBkYi00Y2Q4LWJmYWMtMDQyYTFiMmMzNDc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyOTE2ODg0._V1_.jpg

- My favourite from Wes Anderson, I think it's his best work so far. The cast and setting are both fantastic with tons of great characters, the story is fun and the dialogue is great.

81iSJ9zYDCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

- I feel like this one often falls under the radar a little bit when it comes to discussing the best 70's movies, but it's one of my favourites from that decade. I'm a big Michael Caine fan and he's excellent in this. Him and Laurence Oliver are perfectly casted in this and play off each other so well. Superb dialogue and tons of twists and turns to keep your attention.

1687413979222_Poster.jpg

- Awesome film and just as good as Parasite in my opinion. I watched this after and thought it was equally as incredible. It's got a terrific vibe.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The twists in Sleuth are so fucking good

• Love
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Shutter_Island-215721197-large.jpg

- This is by far one of the scariest thrillers I've ever watched. Especially a lot of the dark atmosphere is just so unnerving to me. It was cool to see Scorsese dabble a little in horror, I really enjoy how different this was to a lot of his other work, although it retains a lot of the good qualities he's known for. Such a fantastic movie with lots of great twists and turns that keep you gripped. One of my favourite DiCaprio performances too.

MV5BMTY0MTc3MzMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE4MjE0NA@@._V1_.jpg

- Always an exciting watch. I love films based around a time loop, I think this had one of the best concepts and I really enjoy the train setting. Jake Gyllenhaal is really good as he usually is, especially at selling a lot of the disorientation of his character. His chemistry with Michelle Monaghan is wonderful too, they are great together in this. The pace never lets up in this one, it really keeps you on your toes and engaged throughout.

Circle_%282015_film%29_cover_art.jpg

- Excellent concept, I hadn't seen this one in a while so I honestly forgot a lot of the characters and plot points. It's a really fun one-location film, I would recommend it to people who enjoyed Black Mirror especially. It could easily slot in as an episode for sure.

51iwRT0whVL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

- Fun energetic movie with a good cast. I think it's pretty spot on with it's depiction of club culture of the late 90's, it's also got enjoyable music being from that era.

MV5BM2UwMDVmMDItM2I2Yi00NGZmLTk4ZTUtY2JjNTQ3OGQ5ZjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1OTYzOTUx._V1_.jpg

- Brilliant. One of the best racing movies I've seen in ages, if not the best. Superbly casted and so well-written with great visuals. The racing sequences are so exciting.