WS Movie Log Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
MV5BNGJlMTVlYWQtYmM5OC00MDgwLTk3NzAtMGViY2VjOGU0YjlkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- This film really weirded me out, but I appreciated that. It was a bizarre, wild trip that had me questioning what I just watched so many times. It definitely felt very Cronenberg-esque in that respect. A lot of the visuals too, I absolutely loved those. It has some really disturbing and gnarly death scenes, it's been a while since I felt that uncomfortable watching a horror film. The main character is very interesting, complex and well-acted by Agathe Rousselle. This is definitely not for everybody, but I thought it was really interesting. Even if I'm not sure if I understood the whole message of everything. It got me thinking a lot and reading anyalysis done by others.

51A48Tmyq1L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

- This is up there with my favourite British horror films. Neil Maskell is really good in it. I really enjoy the gritty realism and tone, the cast give very realistic performances. I remember going in to this one blind and it went totally in a direction I would have never expected it to go. It's a film that constantly shocks and surprises you, especially towards the later parts of it. It's fun to rewatch it, I haven't seen it in a number of years now so I rediscovered how great it was again.

p195466_p_v12_ah.jpg

- One of my favourite Sam Rockwell performances. It really made me realise how good of an actor he is, even today he still feels pretty underrated. He's consistently a highlight of whatever he's in. Even the lesser known films. I'm a big fan of what Duncan Jones did here, this is a really beautiful movie with some great visuals. I enjoy the character development a lot, you really connect with Rockwell's character. He really does a terrific job selling the isolation and loneliness of the situation.

MV5BMTU2NjQyNDY1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk1MDU1MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- Big fan of this movie, especially the atmosphere. I get why the ending divides people so much, although I personally like when directors aren't afraid to go with a more sad ending. It made the whole situation that much more heartbreaking to me, especially after seeing these characters try to survive. I really enjoy Frank Darabont as a director and I feel like he really did such a great job with the visuals and setting. It's very creepy and effective. The concept from Stephen King in general I always thought was one of his best ones.

MV5BYTVjNTM1MDItMDhiMy00ZmM1LWI0NDItNDhlZmEzZmEzMTBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_.jpg

- My personal favourite Winona Ryder performance. I love her in this movie. I like that this had a different vibe to most coming-of-age films coming out in the 80's. It was a lot darker, but still had it's fair share of good comedic moments too.

heavenly1.jpg

- Whilst not as talked about as other Peter Jackson films, it's some of his finest work. I really enjoy the cast, I always found Melanie Lynskey incredibly underrated and Kate Winslet is great. The performances are very strong and I enjoyed the way the story is told here.

clipcea_fightclub.jpg

- Fight Club is one of those I simply think just gets even better with further rewatches. The first time around is amazing due to the surprises that are in store but it's fun to watch it again and analyse a lot of the scenes and heavy foreshadowing in it. It's a very clever film.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
p24429_p_v12_bf.jpg

- One of the best films ever. So incredibly moving with perfect performances from all the cast. The dialogue in this especially is top tier stuff. So many lines that really resonate and stick with you years after you've watched it. I can never watch this film without tearing up.

MV5BNDc4MThhN2EtZjMzNC00ZDJmLThiZTgtNThlY2UxZWMzNjdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- This was really excellent. Honestly not normally a story I'd be all that interested in watching a movie of but the cast is what really sold me on it originally. It's absolutely stacked. I actually ended up being really surprised at how much I was engrossed in to it and the performances were phenomenal. I really liked how all the big names in this felt quite unrecognisable too, they really morphed in to their characters, especially Carrell.

Road_to_Perdition-545895668-large.jpg

- I always felt this was one of the most underrated Tom Hanks' films. It's actually up there with my all-time favourites from him like Castaway and such. I always loved Daniel Craig in this too. It's got an amazing score by Thomas Newman, the setting and visuals are really nice and I thought the story was so beautifully told and paced really well.

MV5BZDE3NDZmMGUtZjhjOS00MmIyLTkyMzAtMzM4ZjNhZThiY2ViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMDUzNTI3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

- I would have loved to have seen Eminem act in more films, I'm always really impressed with his performance in 8 Mile. It's incredible really how much of a natural he felt at being on screen. This film holds up really well, I always enjoyed how gritty it is. Still remember so many lines from the final rap battle.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Watching Citizen Kane with the audio commentary, this is super interesting and really makes me appreciate the film even more. There's commentaries by Peter Bogdanovich and Roger Ebert included. I started out with Ebert's commentary and I'm really enjoying it.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Got 1917 on and I really wish that Thomas Newman had won an Oscar for his work scoring this film. It's by far some of his finest work he's done. Such an emotionally impactful set of tracks that go so well with the scenes. He's one of my favourite composers so I'd love to see him get the nod one day. This film always blows me away so much, Sam Mendes really killed it with his drection and the cast are flawless.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I think if it wasn't going up against Joker's OST that year it probably would have won. Really tough draw as both films were amazing.

Music really was essential to both.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
With the year coming to a close, I thought I'd go back and look at my Movie Log and see how many I watched this year. It turns out I've watched 394 films. 38 of those being from 2023, which is actually pretty high for me. I don't tend to watch many films that come out in the current year. It goes to show how good this year has been really for quality releases coming out. A lot of great horror stuff, which has made me really happy especially.

If I had to narrow down my Top 5 favourites from this year, I think it would go as follows:
1. Past Lives
2. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
3. Barbie
4. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
5. When Evil Lurks

All of those are pretty different genre wise too, so I definitely feel I've branched out quite a lot this year.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
@Kairi HoHo Do you want to make the Movie Log thread again for 2024? I know it's usually your thing on here and you do a good job. One of my favourite threads on here and really helps me keep track of what I've watched throughout the year.

• Love
Reactions: Apoho Creed

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
@Kairi HoHo Do you want to make the Movie Log thread again for 2024? I know it's usually your thing on here and you do a good job. One of my favourite threads on here and really helps me keep track of what I've watched throughout the year.

Sure the moment it strikes 2024 for me I will for sure. Less than 5 Hours to go.

Still deciding on what is the first Movie I plan to watch for 2024.

• Love
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Shade

Reaction score
Hit an impressive 275 movies on my list this year. Only rewatched 99 films in that which makes me happy. Means there was a lot of new experiences for me. Hoping to finally hit my goal of 300 this year.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Hit an impressive 275 movies on my list this year. Only rewatched 99 films in that which makes me happy. Means there was a lot of new experiences for me. Hoping to finally hit my goal of 300 this year.
Nice job, also I really like what you do with your Movie Log leaving little comments next to each film. It's been a fun read when you've updated it.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Shade

Reaction score
Nice job, also I really like what you do with your Movie Log leaving little comments next to each film. It's been a fun read when you've updated it.
Thank you :) I always like to do that as it's nice looking back years later at my old comments. Plus it means I know when to avoid certain films again haha

• Love
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BZWU3NjgzNDktOTAzMC00M2U4LWFmYzgtYjg2Njc4MzkzMWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA1OTgwMzQ@._V1_.jpg

As somebody who's pretty familar with Sidemen and the personalities in it, this was quite a fun watch on Netflix. It's a feature-length documentary. They covered a lot of the history of the group well, but there were some things I didn't know about too. I used to watch KSI when he was a much smaller YouTuber as his videos with his brother Deji were pretty funny at the time. I always thought he'd make it big but It's been pretty crazy to see how much he's blown up and become a mainsteam celebrity of sorts branching out in to music and boxing. I don't watch him as often these days but I do still watch some of their videos from time to time as they do fun challenges and I like watching Zerka on Twitch, he's a pretty chill guy.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Whatever this is.....I need it.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Yea. Just watched Madame Web.

It was a movie

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o
Just watched Night Swim and it was definitely a thing, lol.