WrestleMania 28 Does 1.3 Million Buys

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

rcoot93

Reaction score
What headlined 23 then for that high rate, suprised x8 didn't do better either with rock v hgan, still this is a great number if true

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that this number is a very questionable estimate. I have never heard of an estimated buyrate to be released within two days of the PPV, normally it takes then at least a month before they even have a basic idea. Strange that an ESPN reporter was the first to report it as well rather than one of the bigger wrestling news websites.

If true then this is incredible because it is one of the highest selling PPV events of all time.The highest UFC buyrate is 1.6 million for UFC100: Lesnar vs. Mir II. The biggest boxing buyrate was 2.4 million for Mayweather vs. De La Hoya followed by 1.99 million for Tyson vs. Hollyfield II and 1.97 million for Tyson vs. Lewis. For that this WM would then be the fourth biggest PPV event of all time.

We all knew that Cena vs. Rock would draw and the 1.25 million from WM23 was always the target. Beating it by 650k buys is ridiculous. Well done to all involved if true and everyone on the card can expect a massive payday.

Brock vs. Rock for the WWE title at WM29 could give this buyrate a push, Brock vs. Cena as well would do very well. Look forward to seeing the WM actuals in a couple of months time.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I know WWE is big on main event guys coming back and being in the spotlight. I get that but if it's Brock vs Rock for the title, I may seriously boycott. That is by far one of the dumbest things ever, two guys that aren't going to be here full time. That would be beyond stupid.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
More on WM28 Buyrate
ESPN producer Guy Ramsey, who posted yesterday on Twitter that WrestleMania reportedly took in 1.9 million PPV buys, has posted several follow-up Tweets which are listed below:

“I trust who I heard it from, but again no confirmation.”

“just something I heard. I’m not a reporter. Just a guy who likes wrestling and knows some people. Could very well be wrong”

“Re: WM28 buy rate. 1- I work at espn, not a reporter. Not the same thing. 2- I heard the number but have no confirmation.”

“haven’t seen anything in writing. so maybe the # is wrong, or I misheard it, but pretty sure that was the # + WWE very happy”

It's too early to call the buyrate for such a big event.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Eh doesn't sound like he got it from a very reliable source or anything so I have a feeling while the buyrate will be high just won't be as insanely high as a 1.9.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You know what would be ironic? If his buyrate was in fact wrong, but the real one was actually higher. :O

WWE would completely flip their dick.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
That's an insane number

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
What headlined 23 then for that high rate, suprised x8 didn't do better either with rock v hgan, still this is a great number if true

Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena for the WWE title. Still one of the best matches, and feuds for that matter, that I have seen to this day. It was Shawns first WWE title match at WrestleMania in a long time.

Also, it was the WM that featured Donald Trump, and the Hair vs. Hair match which got a lot of media attention.

And for me personally the ECW Originals vs. the ECW New Breed was pretty awesome as well.

Not to mention Batista and Undertaker. And Batista was madly over at the time as World Champion.

So I can see how it made the biggest Mania.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Tapout, that PPV had some top matches to sell it. IIRC it was HBKs last title match in a singles situation? Be a great feet for Mania 28 to top it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Even if it dropped a few hundred thousand it would still be a decent number.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
After he explained himself I am a lot less confident that he actually knows any inside info. Just sounds like he was talking to a friend and they took a stab in the dark that it would do 1.9 million buys.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Even if it ends up being the projected 1.5 that is still the mania record which they should be happy as hell about.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I definitely expect it to break the WM buyrate record and I would even go as far to say that it would be a failure if they didn't break that record. I just don't know if it will be as big as the 1.9 million estimate that this guy put up with what seems like no inside information at all.

Chadillac

Reaction score
im know im late jumping in here but you dont have a statistical discussion without me. First of all, just let me explain and brek things down.

The average fan base for the WWE is around 5 million. Thats not to say i doesnt fluctuate up or down, but that's where the needle leveled out this month.

The WWE can usually expect 200-250k buys on any given PPV. Or in buyrate terms: .5 or .6

That means that WWE can expect at the very least, 1 out of every 20 fans to purchase a PPV.

However, WM is different. 1 million buys is equivalent to a 2.45 buyrate, or 1 out of every 5 WWE fans purchasing, which is what they did last year.

However, 1.9 million buys would break down into a 4.52 PPV buyrate, or 2 out of very 5 fans buying, which is 40% of the entire fanbase.

That number is rediculous and if anyone is actually beliving that crap, well iv'e got plenty of wolf tickets to sell you.

The number to look for would be anywhere from 800k to 1.2 million buys. With 800k being the very lowest.